If BaD Radio isn't on from 3-7 p.m. ...

mdmost

56 minutes ago, threesheets said:

If you're mocking me that's fine, whatever. But if you actually did then please keep talking. Love to hear more of your thoughts. The ratings stuff has always fascinated me. 

Slightly mocking you, hey this is Surly... but yeah I worked in radio about 10 years after I got out of the Coast Guard. Oddly enough, one of the stations was 96.7 where The Ticket lives now. I can tell you from personal experience that is a very shitty spot on the dial with a bunch of nearby stations restricting what you can do with signal strength and tower location.

I have to admit it's been almost 30 years since I sat down and went through one, but Nielsen books can give you lots of different numbers, depending on how you digest them and they are rarely apples to apples. Program Directors are f'n mad scientists with a Nielsen book. That's why you sometimes have 3 stations all claiming to be #1 at the same time.

The Ticket's shitty signal takes a toll on their numbers compared to the relative flamethrower that KRLD has. Not many tejano stations bleeding in driving off listeners at 105.3. You get south of I-20 and 96.7 drops off pretty quick while 105.3 blasts into Waco easily. The Ticket does have better coverage north and west, but the number of people per square mile is less. That's what having your tower closer to Gainesville than Dallas gets you. The Ticket also had Stars game broadcasts during this book and I'm convinced that drives away more listeners than it draws. Just the opposite with The Fan having Cowboys games. Those draw in huge numbers, but none of that would be in this book.

One last thing to remember is you have to also add in 1310's numbers. I don't think those were reflected in the list posted.

Edited by RPM
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RPM said:

Slightly mocking you, hey this is Surly... but yeah I worked in radio about 10 years after I got out of the Coast Guard. Oddly enough, one of the stations was 96.7 where The Ticket lives now. I can tell you from personal experience that is a very shitty spot on the dial with a bunch of nearby stations restricting what you can do with signal strength and tower location.

I have to admit it's been almost 30 years since I sat down and went through one, but Nielsen books can give you lots of different numbers, depending on how you digest them and they are rarely apples to apples. Program Directors are f'n mad scientists with a Nielsen book. That's why you sometimes have 3 stations all claiming to be #1 at the same time.

The Ticket's shitty signal takes a toll on their numbers compared to the relative flamethrower that KRLD has. Not many tejano stations bleeding in driving off listeners at 105.3. You get south of I-20 and 96.7 drops off pretty quick while 105.3 blasts into Waco easily. The Ticket does have better coverage north and west, but the number of people per square mile is less. That's what having your tower closer to Gainesville than Dallas gets you. The Ticket also had Stars game broadcasts during this book and I'm convinced that drives away more listeners than it draws. Just the opposite with The Fan having Cowboys games. Those draw in huge numbers, but none of that would be in this book.

One last thing to remember is you have to also add in 1310's numbers. I don't think those were reflected in the list posted.

I totally agree the Ticket''s signal works against them, although most P1s are pretty savvy about streaming.  Again, I'm not arguing the reasons, just stating facts about the ratings.  

Also agree 100% about a PD being able to mold a ratings book to tell a story that supports their narrative no matter how bad the actual ratings are. They use qualitative (more specific demos), hour-by-hour, etc for that.  All I posted was prime m25-54 though. There's no "well we're #1 in this...." when you're just looking at 6a-7p. You are what you are.

As for the actual tracking, I know back in the day they used to send an actual book so people in the research group could take notes on their listening behaviors (I did it in college), but now they just wear a device that listens all the time. No human error (intentional or unintentional) to consider. 

4 hours ago, Mileslong said:

I was wondering why Junior hasn’t been crowing about their ratings lately

Pretty sure that he talked about their great spring ratings on Scattershooting last week and how they were yet again #1. 

9 hours ago, TornACL said:

Greggo fucking sucks.

He followed me randomly a few years back on Twitter so I followed back. So many of his shit is cringe worthy on there. He rants and rambles constantly, a lot about politics.

I am curious about his accusation about Corby, though. But it could just be hot air from a drug addict, pathological liar.

10 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

He followed me randomly a few years back on Twitter so I followed back. So many of his shit is cringe worthy on there. He rants and rambles constantly, a lot about politics.

I am curious about his accusation about Corby, though. But it could just be hot air from a drug addict, pathological liar.

His back pedal and pathetic excuse that he was doing a call back to an old Hardline bit was even more idiotic than his original tweet. 

Reading that shit it seems clear he was coked up or pilled out of his gourd. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mdmost said:

He claims it was a reference to an old bit. From his tweets, I think he hit whatever pain meds he's on right after lunch.

http://twitter.com/TCUWhiteTrash/status/1012400314601877504

Judging by Corby's reaction, he didn't seem to get the joke. If that is what it was and Greggo isn't now back pedaling because he realized how dumb it was to tweet that.

7 minutes ago, TornACL said:

His back pedal and pathetic excuse that he was doing a call back to an old Hardline bit was even more idiotic than his original tweet. 

Reading that shit it seems clear he was coked up or pilled out of his gourd. 

Yeah mdmost had just posted the link to his explanation. He definitely seems to be backpedaling after regretting it. Corby definitely didn't think it was some bit they had or whatever Greggo claimed it was.

1 hour ago, threesheets said:

I totally agree the Ticket''s signal works against them, although most P1s are pretty savvy about streaming.  Again, I'm not arguing the reasons, just stating facts about the ratings.  

Also agree 100% about a PD being able to mold a ratings book to tell a story that supports their narrative no matter how bad the actual ratings are. They use qualitative (more specific demos), hour-by-hour, etc for that.  All I posted was prime m25-54 though. There's no "well we're #1 in this...." when you're just looking at 6a-7p. You are what you are.

As for the actual tracking, I know back in the day they used to send an actual book so people in the research group could take notes on their listening behaviors (I did it in college), but now they just wear a device that listens all the time. No human error (intentional or unintentional) to consider. 

Man I have no idea how they track listeners now. I'd think it's sophisticated and accurate compared to the old days, but who knows. Are streaming numbers tracked separately or added in? Some serious Krieger shit going on. 

One thing I do know that hurts the Ticket in Tarrant County is their aversion to going there. They do the majority of their roadshows up north and have a blast. Get them to do a remote in Ft Worth or, heaven forbid, Weatherford and all you hear is them bitch and moan about how far away it is. Irving and Arlington are the boundary of their comfort zone.

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

I used to like Jake but he's sucking more and more as a host as the week goes on.  This morning show is almost unlistenable.  I've never looked forward to Norm and Donovan, but they can't get on the air fast enough.

terrible take. 

1 hour ago, Mileslong said:

well not really so...

wrong. 

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

I used to like Jake but he's sucking more and more as a host as the week goes on.  This morning show is almost unlistenable.  I've never looked forward to Norm and Donovan, but they can't get on the air fast enough.

I normally abhor the Sh portion of The Shake Joint but I've actually appreciated their discussions regarding NBA free agency and a few other things this week. They clearly know more sports than Georgio and Cregg and Jake is there for the whimsical portions that Sean is terribad at. I miss Gordo tremendously, though.

12 hours ago, RPM said:

Man I have no idea how they track listeners now. I'd think it's sophisticated and accurate compared to the old days, but who knows. Are streaming numbers tracked separately or added in? Some serious Krieger shit going on. 

One thing I do know that hurts the Ticket in Tarrant County is their aversion to going there. They do the majority of their roadshows up north and have a blast. Get them to do a remote in Ft Worth or, heaven forbid, Weatherford and all you hear is them bitch and moan about how far away it is. Irving and Arlington are the boundary of their comfort zone.

So they're like every other fucking person that lives in Dallas County?

My friends who live on the East side of the Metroplex act like they're riding the Oregon Trail by covered wagon to come hang out in Panther City.

12 hours ago, RPM said:

The Fan rarely goes west of Arlington, either. So it isn't just The Ticket not going there. Not sure why The Fan has a huge following in Tarrant county. I know they are in Arlington quite a bit or at least they used to be. My best friend used to intern there when he was trying to get into radio so I have met all their hosts and been to many of their events. They are trying to grab the younger demographic. And trying to be as accessible to their fans be it in person or social media. They have came a long way over the years but I still don't think they will completely surpass The Ticket until a mass exodus happens over there (if it ever will). But they are closing the gap more and more.

I think they try too hard to be funny at times, though and they are slowly going to The Ticket formula. You used to be able to flip it on The Fan and it would be nothing but sports talk. Now they are having more segments and bits like The Ticket. Difference is, The Ticket's is a lot more organic. Theirs are too forced. No one is really funny on The Fan. At all.They do sports much better than their bits. And Ben/Skin are still as terrible as they were on The Ticket and ESPN. No idea what the appeal is with those dorks.

8 minutes ago, mdleast said:

So you’re saying we can do they do but they can’t do what we do.

Yep their motto is spot on. I'm not a big fan of the The Ticket anymore outside of BAD Radio but their bits were always spot on. If your station does not have a Gordo, your bits are not going to be organic. He's as good as they come. Have you heard the other stations' fake Jerry and other voices? Turrrible. And cringe worthy.

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

I normally abhor the Sh portion of The Shake Joint but I've actually appreciated their discussions regarding NBA free agency and a few other things this week. They clearly know more sports than Georgio and Cregg and Jake is there for the whimsical portions that Sean is terribad at. I miss Gordo tremendously, though.

Sean is terrible, and he’s cocky. He answered 4 phone calls this morning for the E-brake with “Ticket” trail off references that are a regurgitation of Gordo/Jub schtick. So unoriginal. 

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

So they're like every other fucking person that lives in Dallas County?

My friends who live on the East side of the Metroplex act like they're riding the Oregon Trail by covered wagon to come hang out in Panther City.

There is no reason to go to Fort Worth. None. And I wouldn’t go to Weatherford if I had AIDS and those hillbillies had the cure. 

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

Yeah, Jake seems to know a lot about basketball and a fair amount about sports in general.  But outside of that, his takes on almost every single other subject are pretty much in line with "I just think space is super gay".  He's good for some segments, but he doesn't have nearly enough in his bag to carry a whole show as a full time host for more than a day or two.

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

I'm so glad you feel that way. That's part of what makes it a great place, that people like you will never come here.

Lived there for 4 years. It’s a fine place. Living where I live, there’s literally not a reason to go, unless going to Frogs game or golfing. 

Wow. Just driving around running a few errands this morning and Ticket is in a break before Circque. Flipped over to FAN for shits and giggles and holy shit is that amateur hour. Sounds like HS student radio. They’re down at the Omni — seems like they might be having a fan event or something — and the riveting round table is a list of things and they have to decide “What Gots to Go?”

Ticket weekends aren’t great — save the Sirois Boys — but that is total trash radio.

13 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

So it's wrong to talk about the rewarding fruits of all of our hard work (not just mine)? When is your top rated radio show on?

You’re a prissy little bitch.