Casey Thompson

Tex Long

1 minute ago, Sawbonz said:

If only he wasn’t the best option at QB with a Mickey Mouse thumb on his throwing hand

Or do you think he was only playing bc Sark was terrified he’d transfer?

When he walked into Sark’s office after cleaning out his locker 7 days before the season and saying he was leaving unless he was given playing time, he forced Sark into two options

a) tell Casey to kick rock and hit the portal, but roll into the season with Card and Ben Ballard (who outperformed Charles Wright in camp) as your two QB options.

b) ensure yourself at least some QB depth by catering to his demand and dangling a carrot out there by saying he will play

Sark chose option B, which he’s probably glad he did in the short term after Arkansas. 

1 minute ago, OU Sucks said:

You can act like Casey and his dad were a cancer, and them being gone will mark a seismic shift in our culture, but the truth is having an OL that can actually protect the QB and having a DL that can actually get to the opposing QB will shift the culture, because that's what we need to win and winning cures everything.

If you don’t think getting rid of a kid and his dad who told media members the coaches were determining playing time based on race is going to improve the culture, I don’t know what else I can tell you.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one. The team is 10x better off without him.

10 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

If you don’t think getting rid of a kid and his dad who told media members the coaches were determining playing time based on race is going to improve the culture, I don’t know what else I can tell you.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one. The team is 10x better off without him.

Again, the thought of our D giving up 50 points to KU because of what Casey and his dad supposedly did is silly.  Did they just decide...well, we don't know if our QB will be around, so we're going to look like idiots and wither away any remaining NFL prospects we have?  They didn't seem to perform any differently with Card being in there.  BJ has been loafing around for years, back through the Sam years.  The team will be 10x better off if our OL/D recruits and Ewers pan out.

Edited by OU Sucks

20 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

When he walked into Sark’s office after cleaning out his locker 7 days before the season and saying he was leaving unless he was given playing time, he forced Sark into two options

a) tell Casey to kick rock and hit the portal, but roll into the season with Card and Ben Ballard (who outperformed Charles Wright in camp) as your two QB options.

b) ensure yourself at least some QB depth by catering to his demand and dangling a carrot out there by saying he will play

Sark chose option B, which he’s probably glad he did in the short term after Arkansas. 

Or maybe, you know, keep the QB competition open prior to the start of conference play given you don’t really know shit about either QB in a game situation 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

Again, the thought of our D giving up 50 points to KU because of what Casey and his dad supposedly did is silly.  Did they just decide...well, we don't know if our QB will be around, so we're going to look like idiots and wither away any remaining NFL prospects we have?  They didn't seem to perform any differently with Card being in there.  BJ has been loafing around for years, back through the Sam years.  The team will be 10x better off if our OL/D recruits and Ewers pan out.

I am beyond confused why you continue to bring up the defense giving up 50 points to Kansas in a discussion about Casey Thompson. Happy to continue that conversation on the PK defense thread.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I am beyond confused why you continue to bring up the defense giving up 50 points to Kansas in a discussion about Casey Thompson. Happy to continue that conversation on the PK defense thread.

You called Casey "a joke of a teammate and a cancer", implying he was impacting how the entire team played.  The offense was not a problem last year, outside of a few games (one of those being a game Casey barely played in).  The defense was the biggest problem.  So if he did all these terrible things (like posting pics of a thumb) and you think they caused such a horrible culture issue, then why was our offense, for the most part, perfectly fine?  That's my point.  Our offense sure responded when he came into the Arky game.  If you wanted to choose a QB that the offense didn't seem to want to play for and protect, that would be Card.

Edited by OU Sucks

27 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

You called Casey "a joke of a teammate and a cancer", implying he was impacting how the entire team played.  The offense was not a problem last year, outside of a few games (one of those being a game Casey barely played in).  The defense was the biggest problem.  So if he did all these terrible things (like posting pics of a thumb) and you think they caused such a horrible culture issue, then why was our offense, for the most part, perfectly fine?  That's my point.  Our offense sure responded when he came into the Arky game.  If you wanted to choose a QB that the offense didn't seem to want to play for and protect, that would be Card.

You aren’t drawing me offsides on this one. Scoring two garbage touchdowns in a blowout loss to Arkansas when their DB’s were playing in Little Rock to run out the clock says absolutely nothing about how a team “responded” to a QB. 

Also, this team just went 5-7. To imply one side of the ball was the sole issue like you have been is just not true. Last time I checked football is a team game. Thompson was a cancer to this team. Just because the offense played well in certain games and the defense didn’t doesn’t change anything. I really don’t understand the point you are trying to make. Yes, a guy can be a cancer and still put up big numbers against Kansas and Texas Tech and OU. No one said that wasn’t possible. 

Xavier Worthy responded and wanted to play for Casey Thompson so badly that he openly started recruiting Quinn Ewers minutes after he entered the portal.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

You aren’t drawing me offsides on this one. Scoring two garbage touchdowns in a blowout loss to Arkansas when their DB’s were playing in Little Rock to run out the clock says absolutely nothing about how a team “responded” to a QB. 

Also, this team just went 5-7. To imply one side of the ball was the sole issue like you have been is just not true. Last time I checked football is a team game. Thompson was a cancer to this team. Just because the offense played well in certain games and the defense didn’t doesn’t change anything. I really don’t understand the point you are trying to make. Yes, a guy can be a cancer and still put up big numbers against Kansas and Texas Tech and OU. No one said that wasn’t possible. 

Xavier Worthy responded and wanted to play for Casey Thompson so badly that he openly started recruiting Quinn Ewers minutes after he entered the portal.

Are you not implying we lost a bunch of games because you think Casey was a cancer to the team?  Since you brought it up, how did his dad posting a pic of his injured hand impact the team?  That's just you being someone who obviously doesn't like Casey, whining about everything little thing he or his dad did.  If you were his dad and people were giving shit about your son throwing balls in the dirt and over WRs' heads, wouldn't you defend him?  These idiots had to be reminded that he was playing in pain to try to win games for the school and he could barely grip onto the ball.  And Casey wasn't the only person on the team who wanted to leave or did leave...just look at how many players have transferred out.  "Casey cleaned out his locker"....okay?  And did he leave?  No?  So who gives a fuck?  "Casey held Sark hostage...."  Yeah, okay, Sark is a grown man who's getting paid millions to manage the team...no one held him hostage.

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

then why was our offense, for the most part, perfectly fine? 

Dude - did you fucking watch this team this year? The offense for the most part was "perfectly fine"? 

You can defend Casey but holy shit that's a bad take. Unless you just straight up didn't watch the Arkansas, OSU, Baylor, ISU and WVU games. Even the 2nd half of the OU game had its issues. Hell - we struggled to move the ball against a TCU team that SMU ran for 300 yards on. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Haha 1

Just now, OU Sucks said:

Are you not implying we lost a bunch of games because you think Casey was a cancer to the team?  Since you brought it up, how did his dad posting a pic of his injured hand impact the team?  That's just you being someone who obviously doesn't like Casey, whining about everything little thing he or his dad did.  If you were his dad and people were giving shit about your son throwing balls in the dirt and over WRs' heads, wouldn't you defend him?  These idiots had to be reminded that he was playing in pain to try to win games for the school and he could barely grip onto the ball.  And Casey wasn't the only person on the team who wanted to leave or did leave...just look at how many players have transferred out.

Alright, this conversation obviously isn't going anywhere. His dad told media members playing time at Texas was being determined based on race. If you want to defend his actions or his sons actions, go ahead. Did Casey play hurt? Yes. Did Casey play well at times? Yes. Did Casey and his dad control narratives through the media? Yes. Did this defense let him down on multiple occasions? Yes. Is Casey Thompson being a cancer the reason we lost to Kansas? No.

All these things can be true. The point me (and several others) are trying to make is he is not this golden boy that Chip Brown and Anwar make him out to be. He quit this team 3 different times. The narrative that he "went against the grain of most college kids and stuck it out and is the ultimate team player" is garbage.

At this point, it's whatever. I will stop talking about it.

He is no longer on this team. And this team is better for it. 

• Hook 'Em 5

11 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Dude - did you fucking watch this team this year? The offense for the most part was "perfectly fine"? 

You can defend Casey but holy shit that's a bad take. Unless you just straight up didn't watch the Arkansas, OSU, Baylor, ISU and WVU games. Even the 2nd half of the OU game had its issues. Hell - we struggled to move the ball against a TCU team that SMU ran for 300 yards on. 

Nice of you to conveniently leave out "The offense was not a problem last year, outside of a few games (one of those being a game Casey barely played in)."  The point there was that the D lost most of those games for us over our offense losing them (I know someone will chime in with "complimentary football", etc. etc., but whatever).  48 points should have been enough to win with against OU.  56 should have been enough to beat KU.  24, 23 and 24 aren't great, but if you look at how low of a score most other defenses limited those opponents, those should have been enough to win with.  And if we won 4+ more games last year, we aren't even discussing how good or bad a teammate Casey is or how his dad told media this or that.

Edited by OU Sucks

8 minutes ago, bar said:

What has two (healthy) thumbs and a Heisman trophy? Some posters on here would have you believe that it's Casey Thompson.

So people who defend Casey act like he was Heisman-worthy now?  I don't have a problem with Hookem2147 -- we just have a difference of opinion on how big a deal any of the things he mentioned were.  You, on the other hand, are just dumb as fuck.

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Also, the offense seemed to have a lot of "front-runner" in it.  Regardless of QB, if we stayed ahead of the chains, things were mostly ok and drives sustained.  As soon as we got behind the chains, three and out was a virtual inevitablity.

Every offense plays better ahead of the chains, of course, but our near-complete floppage at the first sign of adversity was really something to behold.

Some of that "rally round the QB" may have a simpler explanation than someone was or wasn't some great leader, or, conversely, cancer.

15 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

You guys arguing over a UT QB that in the last 30 years only started more games before he was done at Texas than Dick Walton and Chance Mock are cracking me up....carry on.

Clearly anyone critical of Casey is just bitter and old. 

16 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

You guys arguing over a UT QB that in the last 30 years only started more games before he was done at Texas than Dick Walton and Chance Mock are cracking me up....carry on.

Are you implying that Casey isn't a Great Longhorn? 

The nerve. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, markstanco said:

His comparison was age and time in the program

Casey and Card are more comparable to each other than either of them are to Colt. When Colt was Casey's age he was on his way to the Heisman ceremony. 

Comparing either of them to Colt at their ages actually makes Casey look worse. 

Wasn't a big Casey fan, and his entering the portal twice doesn't help, but that was a classy goodbye letter, and I appreciate what he did for us, even though we sucked. Card can grow, Ewers will start, and MM will RS and have a cannon. CT wasn't winning against Ewers, so it was his time to leave. Best of luck to the young man, and thank you for choosing Texas over ou sucks. He'll be a legend just for that. No ill will towards the kid, but he's 23 and his arm isn't getting better. He's doing the right thing. Hook Em, Casey 🤘

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Casey and Card are more comparable to each other than either of them are to Colt. When Colt was Casey's age he was on his way to the Heisman ceremony. 
Comparing either of them to Colt at their ages actually makes Casey look worse. 

I agree with all of this. But the comp was card and CT and that card had less experience. My entire point was that cards age had nothing to do performance on the field, many many RS freshman qbs have thrived.

8 minutes ago, markstanco said:

I agree with all of this. But the comp was card and CT and that card had less experience. My entire point was that cards age had nothing to do performance on the field, many many RS freshman qbs have thrived.

The point of the comparison is that Casey struggled to beat out a RS freshman that didn't thrive. I mean maybe Card was a workout/practice warrior but even after we saw both of them in game action there were plenty of moments where Card didn't seem like any worse of an option. 

Granted - Casey had seemed to put that competition away before he got injured but why was it a competition in the first place? Maybe he really was showing up late and being moody and shit like someone alluded to. I mean, that would help explain some of it. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

I wish he was just whining for playing time. He cleaned out his lock THREE different times during his Texas career. And no my source is not IT. I know a player on the team. I don’t need those facts to verified by 9.95ers to know it’s true.

He was fake. Not one member of the team lost a minute of sleep Friday night after this news. He was not respected. The defense (our defense, the worst defense in school history) nicknamed him QB2 halfway through fall camp because he was playing so poorly. He routinely showed up late to team functions or didn’t show up at all. He did not handle criticism well. He hated being corrected by Milwee and Sark.

When you walk into a coaches office 7 days before the season opener threatening to transfer if you aren’t given playing time, that isn’t being a competitor. That’s being a joke of a teammate and a cancer. When you walk back into that coaches office 2 days after a season opening win and complain about the lack of passes called while you were on the field in the season opener, that’s being a joke of a teammate and a cancer. When your dad goes to a media member and tells him coaches are playing players based on their race, that isn’t being a helicopter dad, that’s called being the biggest issue in todays society. 

But please, by all all means, continue to praise the kid.

You are acting and posting like you saw all of that when by your own post you clearly did not. 

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Alright, this conversation obviously isn't going anywhere. His dad told media members playing time at Texas was being determined based on race. If you want to defend his actions or his sons actions, go ahead. Did Casey play hurt? Yes. Did Casey play well at times? Yes. Did Casey and his dad control narratives through the media? Yes. Did this defense let him down on multiple occasions? Yes. Is Casey Thompson being a cancer the reason we lost to Kansas? No.

All these things can be true. The point me (and several others) are trying to make is he is not this golden boy that Chip Brown and Anwar make him out to be. He quit this team 3 different times. The narrative that he "went against the grain of most college kids and stuck it out and is the ultimate team player" is garbage.

At this point, it's whatever. I will stop talking about it.

He is no longer on this team. And this team is better for it. 

You know none of this. Just because you “heard” something doesn’t make it true.

21 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Ewers should be finishing his senior year in HS under a normal timeline. Very few 18 or 19 year old QBs light it up from the jump in high D1 football. I just hope Texas fans have patience.

Yeah, and if we don't fix the OL, he may have more than a lil "Card" in him, himself.

These suburban white boy QBs don't see 225lb plus LB and DE flying at them at warp speed, at least not until they get pretty deep in the playoffs.  I'm sure it takes a bit of adjustment.

4 hours ago, OU Sucks said:

Great, he could have cleaned his locked out 50 times during his career, but he stuck at Texas, played when called upon, and then played in pain for months.  So, the defense, who wouldn't be able to stop Bishop Sycamore, thought he was playing poorly.  That's rich.  They also laughed it up after losing, then recorded Bo yelling at them.  But yeah, trust their judgment and culture.  I have news for you.  None of that made our team shit the bed week in and week out.  You can act like Casey and his dad were a cancer, and them being gone will mark a seismic shift in our culture, but the truth is having an OL that can actually protect the QB and having a DL that can actually get to the opposing QB will shift the culture, because that's what we need to win and winning cures everything.

Yeah but he knows for a FACT that not a single team members lost a MINUTE of sleep after Casey transferred and he’s got the fitbits to PROVE IT!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

You can choose to believe it or not. Doesn’t bother me one bit. It all happened though. Feel free to convince yourself otherwise if you wish. 

Yeah that defense would have played so much better had Casey quietly agreed to be Card’s backup. Imagine that bunch of scrubs calling anyone QB2

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, and if we don't fix the OL, he may have more than a lil "Card" in him, himself.

These suburban white boy QBs don't see 225lb plus LB and DE flying at them at warp speed, at least not until they get pretty deep in the playoffs.  I'm sure it takes a bit of adjustment.

At least QE had a year of collegiate practices against a real defense

12 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Yeah that defense would have played so much better had Casey quietly agreed to be Card’s backup. Imagine that bunch of scrubs calling anyone QB2

And even if that were true, if the D was nicknaming one of their quarterbacks "QB2" in the middle of fall camp (which would be before most or all of the supposed drama), who are the ones with the culture problem and are bad teammates again?  Maybe some of you can bring that same energy for the dude who filmed and shared Bo Davis' rant.

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Hook 'Em 2