Casey Thompson

Tex Long

13 hours ago, OU Sucks said:

Oh, FFS.  Unless you people name your mysterious sources and cite specific examples that aren't 9.95 folklore, give it a break.  Just look at his post and how many of his teammates and former teammates are congratulating him.  If he was as hated by the team as some of you imply, nobody would be commenting at all.

His teammates were actively recruiting Ewers on social media before Thompson even hit the portal. That should tell you quite a bit about how many of them felt about Thompson.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I’d argue David Ash had a better season in 2012.

2,699 yards, 67.3% 19 TD, 8 INT, 9-4 record.

And that 2012 team also had a horrendously shitty defense and Casey had a much better group of RB.

I say all this and I’m not a Casey hater. 

I thought Ash was kinda flukey as a sophomore. He had a great game at Ole Miss but then he'd do shit like pump fake fumble then hit Goodwin in stride. He finally appeared to have mastered the offense as a junior when the concussions started... Thompson vs Ash is at least a debatable subject.

47 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

His teammates were actively recruiting Ewers on social media before Thompson even hit the portal. That should tell you quite a bit about how many of them felt about Thompson.

Even if CT stayed, he only had 1-2 years of eligibility left. Good teammates would've recruited Ewers regardless of their feelings for CT.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, B00M said:

I thought Ash was kinda flukey as a sophomore. He had a great game at Ole Miss but then he'd do shit like pump fake fumble then hit Goodwin in stride. He finally appeared to have mastered the offense as a junior when the concussions started... Thompson vs Ash is at least a debatable subject.

Nothing flukey about his game-winning drive at Okie State. Kid was playing with ice in his veins.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

One source close to Thompson told the Austin American-Statesman the quarterback felt there was “too much politics” involved in the quarterback race. 

I'm going to translate this gem of a quote for the more dense contributors on this board. "One source close to Thompson" = his father, who has been not so anonymously back channeling with the dick slurping brain dead Longhorn media and trying to drive the qb narrative all season, much to the detriment of the team. Apparently Charles feels like there is "too much politics" involved in the qb job, which is about as rich of a comment as I can remember from someone who has been politicking from the jump. 

Now, I'm going to try to give that fucking idiot who wrote this a pass on the word "race" because I generally err on the side of idiocy vs malice, but really? You couldn't find a better word? Maybe competition? Job? Room? Position? But you went with race, okay. After that Brian Jones bullshit? Come the fuck on. 

This kind of unnecessary drama and bullshit is in large part why you see the piling on here. Combined with the other reports about him being fake and a shitty teammate who didn't put the prep in, it's just the exact opposite of what you need from the qb position at Texas - less drama, less helicopter dad, more accurate passes, fewer back breaking turnovers. And for the love of God, how about some more leadership?

I sincerely hope the kid does well at Nebraska and I really wish him nothing but the best, but it was time for him to go. 

• Hook 'Em 2

And that's been the problem. Our QB room has been abysmal since 2009.

THE problem? Or one of many.

We’ve had a hard time putting a complete team together. Odd that we had Gilbert and Beuchele get some good run in the NFL though. We have struggled mightily with quality, ready to play depth.

We have struggled with lack of QB play but part of that is inconsistency everywhere else. Beuchele as a frosh. Gilbert as redshirt soph.

In 2005, the true story versus tOSU was the defense. In 2009, it was the defense vs OU and NU.
I think upperclass Sam could have done something special had another units or players been able to save the day. Ossai was that guy in part at OSU, but the unit was just average that day.

This has a lot of potential for my personal enjoyment. I'll now have another team to watch, just to see how he does. I'll pull for him to play well, if that means corn gets a game winning drive or two that they wouldn't have had otherwise then okay.

But what I really want to see is 1. Casey comes in and they improve. 2 Corn starts to think they have turned the corner and give Frost an extension. 3. Casey leaves and they cash right back to where they were. There are other variations that would entertain me. But I believe this would be my favorite.

Carriker's take is interesting: cautiously optimistic.

"Thompson chose Nebraska over [lists all the names Charles floated to the media]." 
"It's a QB competition. Gotta be open."
Coming from Texas, son of OU QB - "Am I the only that feels like we might getting kamikze'd here? ... Let's take Barry Switzer's son..."  Hilarious.

Recurring comments about "waiting his turn to play" are interesting.  Seniority should not be a criterion [or only one of many, many more] for whether he should play.  We'd scrutinized Brown for years when he used that approach.  Casey was waiting because Ehlinger was better.  He was QB2 (or 1b) to start this year because - heading out of camp - Card was better.  "Politics" to Charles Thompson is really him disliking Sark's merit approach vs. a seniority approach.

I appreciate what he did while he was here and wish him no ill will - not that he would give a darn anyway :)

Hook Em

Edited by boilerhorn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GTX Horn said:

Ewers was sort of a big deal so I’m not sure why players recruiting him is a big indication of anything. He’s literally the highest rated QB prospect of the last 20 years. He also happened to grow up in the same state of which they attend the flagship school. Not to mention most of the guys recruiting him spent the previous 4 years attending camps with him. Casey could’ve won the fucking heisman and they’d still be actively recruiting Ewers and nobody would've thought twice  about it. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TxEx84 said:

I can’t get over the “Big IX”. Jeez. Does anyone proof read the shit they throw onto social media?

Good luck, Casey. Hate corn but wish him well.

He will do well at Corn.  That doesn't mean corn will do that much better. They are still shit.

36 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

THE problem? Or one of many.

We’ve had a hard time putting a complete team together. Odd that we had Gilbert and Beuchele get some good run in the NFL though. We have struggled mightily with quality, ready to play depth.

We have struggled with lack of QB play but part of that is inconsistency everywhere else. Beuchele as a frosh. Gilbert as redshirt soph.

In 2005, the true story versus tOSU was the defense. In 2009, it was the defense vs OU and NU.
I think upperclass Sam could have done something special had another units or players been able to save the day. Ossai was that guy in part at OSU, but the unit was just average that day.

There are two types of guys who make it to the league to hold a clipboard. Guys with arm talent who can't play, and guys who can play with no arm talent. I will let you decide which category those two fall in.

This has a lot of potential for my personal enjoyment. I'll now have another team to watch, just to see how he does. I'll pull for him to play well, if that means corn gets a game winning drive or two that they wouldn't have had otherwise then okay.
But what I really want to see is 1. Casey comes in and they improve. 2 Corn starts to think they have turned the corner and give Frost an extension. 3. Casey leaves and they cash right back to where they were. There are other variations that would entertain me. But I believe this would be my favorite.

I think Frost is Nebraskas best chance of success. They showed signs of life last year but found ways to lose games. Now why some guys left the program is a big question. The QB not turning it over at in opportune times would help.

It’ll be interesting to see how Casey does.

2 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Other than Ehlinger, he had the best season by a Texas qb since Colt. Not sure if you need bifocals, but I know a guy if you do

Lol. Yes, we will sorely miss Casey and the 4 wins he led us to. 

16 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Ewers was sort of a big deal so I’m not sure why players recruiting him is a big indication of anything. He’s literally the highest rated QB prospect of the last 20 years. He also happened to grow up in the same state of which they attend the flagship school. Not to mention most of the guys recruiting him spent the previous 4 years attending camps with him. Casey could’ve won the fucking heisman and they’d still be actively recruiting Ewers and nobody would've thought twice  about it. 

This is how I see it (other than the hyperbole if Casey won the Heisman). And Worthy strikes me as a guy who doesn’t give a shit who’s throwing him the ball as long as it’s the best talent we can field at QB, so I didn’t take his tweets as something personal toward Casey. He wants to win, and we didn’t do that very much with Casey

But apparently somebody knows somebody who saw somebody at 31 Flavors who said that the entire team hated Casey, so what do I know?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Disco Missile said:

Right. People's loyalties should always lie with anonymous message board nincompoops and not with their friends and family who tell them things in confidence and who would be embarrassed or suffer professionally if someone betrayed that confidence.

Get over yourself. 

How about don't be a piece of shit attacking a player's character on a message board while offering zero proof of the claims you're making. 

What kind of soulless cunt does shit like that? I guess the same kind that excuses that behavior as well.  

• Hook 'Em 3

There are two types of guys who make it to the league to hold a clipboard. Guys with arm talent who can't play, and guys who can play with no arm talent. I will let you decide which category those two fall in.

Gilbert knows how to play and Beuchele with the big arm?

Dang. Kinda harsh reality.

3 hours ago, Hermanator said:

How about don't be a piece of shit attacking a player's character on a message board while offering zero proof of the claims you're making. 

What kind of soulless cunt does shit like that? I guess the same kind that excuses that behavior as well.  

I was pointing out a truth, and this response is as entitled as the one I responded to. Demanding to see receipts on a message board is silly. You look for corroboration.

I suppose even having to explain this means it's pointless to try.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Lol. Yes, we will sorely miss Casey and the 4 wins he led us to. 

This.. Casey was 4-6 as a starter. 2 of those wins Sark was deathly afraid to throw the ball. In his 4 wins Texas averaged 311 yards rushing and 195 passing. Texas ran it 47.5 time and threw 21.5. The key to winning was not relying on Casey and the passing game 

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

This.. Casey was 4-6 as a starter. 2 of those wins Sark was deathly afraid to throw the ball. In his 4 wins Texas averaged 311 yards rushing and 195 passing. Texas ran it 47.5 time and threw 21.5. The key to winning was not relying on Casey and the passing game 

This has been the key for UT for a decade but we keep plating hero ball and letting our D get humiliated

1 hour ago, B00M said:

This has been the key for UT for a decade but we keep plating hero ball and letting our D get humiliated

This OL was actually one of the best units Texas has trotted out recently.  Granted, this hasn’t been a unit of strength in a long time. The point was the OL had to be dominant for Texas to win, maybe ULL is the 1 exception. The QB play this season, never did them favors. 

On 1/8/2022 at 9:49 AM, GTX Horn said:

"Teammates" mainly being X.  And players are always recruiting other players to join Texas on social media and in private, but no one ever equated that to them disliking the incumbent starter until now (and as was mentioned, I guess that means Card and MM are hated, too?).  Other WRs past and present were commenting on CT's post when all of them could have ignored it since he's already moved on.  Not to mention multiple RBs and plenty at various positions.  Why wouldn't X want to have a potential all-world QB throwing him the ball?  And who knows whether or not Casey already told his teammates he'd be leaving?  I could just say "my source said he told X he has hitting the portal".

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, OU Sucks said:

"Teammates" mainly being X.  And players are always recruiting other players to join Texas on social media and in private, but no one ever equated that to them disliking the incumbent starter until now (and as was mentioned, I guess that means Card and MM are hated, too?).  Other WRs past and present were commenting on CT's post when all of them could have ignored it since he's already moved on.  Not to mention multiple RBs and plenty at various positions.  Why wouldn't X want to have a potential all-world QB throwing him the ball?  And who knows whether or not Casey already told his teammates he'd be leaving?  I could just say "my source said he told X he has hitting the portal".

X was recruiting Ewers, because he thought Ewers was a better QB. Its not like X really cares about 3 years down the line. X is planning on being at Texas for 2 more years and hitting the NFL. Casey has 2 more years of eligibility. X preferred 2 years of a talented, but unproven QB over Casey. I highly doubt X would be publicly recruiting a QB, if he had a lot of faith in the returning QBs. X’s actions align perfectly with the production Texas saw out of the QB position this year. Let’s not pretend it wasn’t a bad look for Card and Casey

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

X was recruiting Ewers, because he thought Ewers was a better QB. Its not like X really cares about 3 years down the line. X is planning on being at Texas for 2 more years and hitting the NFL. Casey has 2 more years of eligibility. X preferred 2 years of a talented, but unproven QB over Casey. I highly doubt X would be publicly recruiting a QB, if he had a lot of faith in the returning QBs. X’s actions align perfectly with the production Texas saw out of the QB position this year. Let’s not pretend it wasn’t a bad look for Card and Casey

I don't disagree with anything you said (I'd take an unproven Ewers over Casey), but that argument was brought up as proof of Casey being hated or disliked by most of his teammates, and my point was that is a weak example, as are all the other rumors about cleaning out his locker 3 times (OH NOES, HOW TERRIBLE!), or what his dad supposedly did.  I can find tons of examples of Texas players publicly recruiting other players, and no one bats an eye or jumps to the conclusion that they don't like the current player(s) at those positions.  Not having faith in Casey/Card doesn't equal hating them.

Edited by OU Sucks

Well, since as far as I can tell, since I’m the only one here who’s actually spent any time hanging w Casey Thompson, I will repeat that I thought he was a really great guy. Easy to talk to, funny, very smart, understated and very friendly. We thought the world of him so not sure what all that insider locker rom talk was about unless it’s somehow related to Mr Toxic, Joshua Moore complaining about not getting targeted enough or maybe getting angry when people called him out for sucking. Good luck, Casey, you are an amazing young man. 

Joshua Moore single-handedly cost us the Baylor game with 1 TD drop and 2 turnovers. The offense was better without him.
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 1/8/2022 at 5:42 PM, Codaxx said:

casey having a working thumb on his throwing hand was pretty important as well

• Hook 'Em 4

14 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

casey having a working thumb on his throwing hand was pretty important as well

the Thumb excuse, which has been talked about ad nauseum. Funny how TCU happened before the thumb. Funny how it wasnt a problem vs Kansas, but against a good defense it was a problem.. Also funny that people who know the story, like his teammates, recruited his replacement. 

27 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

the Thumb excuse, which has been talked about ad nauseum. Funny how TCU happened before the thumb. Funny how it wasnt a problem vs Kansas, but against a good defense it was a problem.. Also funny that people who know the story, like his teammates, recruited his replacement. 

And yet it’s true

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

And yet it’s true

based on what? Jimmy G throwing with a bone chip and a torn ligament, but Longhorn fans  a sprain is a 8 week problem. They also forget TCU was way before the thumb and ignore that performance, but base their opinion off the stellar defenses of Rice and TEch.  Though doesnt matter, his receivers already gave me the information needed to form an opinon

Edited by Codaxx

6 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

based on what? Jimmy G throwing with a bone chip and a torn ligament, but Longhorn fans  a sprain is a 8 week problem. They also forget TCU was way before the thumb and ignore that performance, but base their opinion off the stellar defenses of Rice and TEch.  Though doesnt matter, his receivers already gave me the information needed to form an opinon

How was he doing vs OU before the thumb injury? I’m glad we got Ewers. Mike Leach was once asked how to make your QB better and he said recruit a better QB. Of course the WR would want Ewers here. We should be recruiting over starters at every position. But this bullshit smearing of CT after his efforts here is ridiculous 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1