Casey Thompson

Tex Long

Having noticed during the 2018 season that Casey was pretty much always present on the sideline QB huddle during games, with Sam and Shane but no Cam, I was a little disturbed when Casey went through the Stargate and into the Portal. I'm glad as hell he's staying and almost guaranteed the backup spot, with Shane and Cam departing. While I thought Cam looked more the part of alter-Sam, he just never seemed to click. Casey has bulked up some and seems better suited to the role now... which is a Good Thing™, with little else other than a walkon and a pure freshman who isn't even in town as of Spring 2019.

Some said they thought he looked pretty good in Spring Game 2018, and I agreed, not bad at all. What's the word? Serviceable.

I gotta say, I feel better right now about the possible consequences of Sam going down and the backup coming in, much better that last season, when just the thought of Shane being the obvious replacement, with a far different playbook and very little in the way of playmakers at RB, gave me the whimwhams. Thompson certainly is far better on designed runs/run-options than Shane ever was, and his passing wasn't awful at all. Much better replacement option, much better.

So... onward and upward. Let's keep track of Casey's progress, and try to avoid posting the SI cover featuring Thompson père and Switzker.

• Like 1

As good as Thompson may be on the run compared to Shane, I don't think any 200 pound QB is going to give us parity to our 240 pounder.

I'm pretty excited with him staying because I liked what he did in the Spring Game, but it's a different game without Sam. 

2 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

Casey has bulked up? Pics? no homo

You feel better about a player coming in to save the day that has never taken a snap in a game than a player that had tons of experience? I mean, ok? 

We have no idea what Casey is capable of. Unless I’ve missed something?

Do you not even Kirko Network, bro? Check out this humongous beefcake walking across the practice field with a salad in his hand (I skipped ahead to the time). It's pretty clear he's going to usurp Sam for game time. 

28 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Casey has bulked up some and seems better suited to the role now... which is a Good Thing™, with little else other than a walkon and a pure freshman who isn't even in town as of Spring 2019.

Roschon Johnson is already on campus as an early enrollee....

Edited by LTtxfan

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

No, grad transfers don't go to other programs to sit on the bench.

This. The only reason Kyler Murray went to OU was because he thought Baker Mayfield was leaving. No one is going to transfer here unless they think Ehlinger is jetting for the NFL. 

2 hours ago, Eggo said:

As good as Thompson may be on the run compared to Shane, I don't think any 200 pound QB is going to give us parity to our 240 pounder.

I'm pretty excited with him staying because I liked what he did in the Spring Game, but it's a different game without Sam. 

Disagree.. power or speed, take your choice but both can be very effective and CT has the latter.  Early on I had him as the guy > Rising, by default I got that right.

2 hours ago, 6th Street said:

This guy is legit - poor man's VY

Thompson's skill set looks much more like James Brown or even Colt than VY.  Smaller guy who's not going to run over defenders; primarily a passer rather than a designed run guy but can burn teams with the scramble or QB draw.  Accurate on the move as well as in the pocket.

6 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Thompson's skill set looks much more like James Brown or even Colt than VY.  Smaller guy who's not going to run over defenders; primarily a passer rather than a designed run guy but can burn teams with the scramble or QB draw.  Accurate on the move as well as in the pocket.

"More", but still not very similar to either.

JB was much stockier than Thompson and was elusive, but not really "a running QB", so perhaps Colt is a better comparison, if Thompson is an extremely accurate passer.

3 hours ago, UcancallmeSurly said:

Disagree.. power or speed, take your choice but both can be very effective and CT has the latter.  Early on I had him as the guy > Rising, by default I got that right.

Okay, but I wasn't saying he was bad, I was saying he was different, which means the offense won't be the exact same. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Backup QB battle about to begin. Hopefully, we'll almost certainly be in better shape there than we were last season... Shane was a better passer than this year's options, but pretty much useless in the run game, while these guys are excellent runners and likely not at all useless when passing. We're finna find out.

1 minute ago, Tex Long said:

Backup QB battle about to begin. Hopefully, we'll almost certainly be in better shape there than we were last season... Shane was a better passer than this year's options, but pretty much useless in the run game, while these guys are excellent runners and likely not at all useless when passing. We're finna find out.

Given that Casey Thompson has been in Herman's offensive system for a year longer than Roschon Johnson has, for the sake of Longhorn nation, it'd better NOT be a backup QB battle.

Just now, Tex Long said:

I'm not sure how telling the spring game will be, given the steep learning curve for college QBs and the fact that Casey has a whole year on Rochon.  Fall practice may be more of a battle.

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I'm not sure how telling the spring game will be, given the steep learning curve for college QBs and the fact that Casey has a whole year on Rochon.  Fall practice may be more of a battle.

On top of being a TR FR, Roschon needs a year or two to work on his mechanics. If he’s in a serious battle with Thompson this fall, it’s probably not a good sign for our backup QB spot.

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

Still annoyed Rising didn't stick it out through the spring. 

2 minutes ago, maninblack said:

Still annoyed Rising didn't stick it out through the spring. 

Agree. Certainly seemed to fit the MensaTom QB mold Sam/Tim version better. It seems that Tom must've seen more that he liked in Casey, though, given the outcome. I thought Cam's Dad was MensaTom's roomie, so it surprised me that Thompson was the one to stay - maybe he just didn't think Utah was the place for him? After the portal portaled, I went back and looked at last Spring's tapes and what little we got from fall, and decided Casey doesn't look bad at all. Should see a lot more of him this spring... unless Roschon (sp?) is the next Trevor Lawrence?

28 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I don't think Tom "chose" Casey over Cam. Cam was just more convicted in his decision to leave, and Tom saw the writing on the wall and went all in on re-recruiting Casey.

The choice wasn't entirely one-sided, either way. The roomie-Dad thing prolly factored in somewhat. I don't know - nor does anyone else, I suspect - whether Tom would rather have had Cam, but I'm damn sure he wanted to keep one or the other. 

Mainly, I think Thompson is a better runner, albeit different style, and maybe not much behind (if any) as a passer. If I was seeing the right guys in the spring film, Thompson's passes looked as accurate as Rising's. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...