Casey Thompson

Tex Long

Just now, Huckleberry said:

It was underthrown and fluttering but can be forgiven because of the back foot slip and the receiver having his guy beaten easily. But let's not get crazy and call it a great throw. It dropped right into Dixon's hands because Dixon adjusted well, not because it was thrown perfectly. 

Fair, it was not perfect, but it wasn't extremely underthrown or overthrown either. It was thrown well enough that Dixon was able to make a play on the ball, with a guy coming at Casey. I'm not real sure why we are even complaining or expecting perfection from a guy that had 4 completions this year prior to this game. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Fair, it was not perfect, but it wasn't extremely underthrown or overthrown either. It was thrown well enough that Dixon was able to make a play on the ball, with a guy coming at Casey. I'm not real sure why we are even complaining or expecting perfection from a guy that had 4 completions this year prior to this game. 
Exactly. It was also a high IQ throw. He found the open guy, saw his margin of error, and threw well within that margin. Dixon had to adjust, but the adjustment was slight, and he still caught the ball in stride.
  • Hook 'Em 1

How great for Thompson if he can come into Spring and win the job in a fair competition - and still have three years of eligibility left.  3 years on the bench learning, maturing, and getting stronger.  Come in as a 21 year old first time starter and still have plenty of time to leave your mark on the program. 
And let's not forget how much Bijan being in the backfield will open things up in the passing game. Thompson is going to see a lot of one-on-one situations when defenses realize they need to load the box to have any hope of stopping Bijan.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

His best throw of the night was the juke of the DE and the lofted pass over 2 defenders to Brewer on 3rd and long. I was impressed with Casey in this game, but I am not going to pencil in 10 wins next season just yet. 

How can you with the current head coach?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

His best throw of the night was the juke of the DE and the lofted pass over 2 defenders to Brewer on 3rd and long. I was impressed with Casey in this game, but I am not going to pencil in 10 wins next season just yet. 

The only criticism I have of Casey was his jittery footwork in the pocket. Maybe it was a bad cleat/turf combo or nerves. To his credit, he overcame it in spectacular fashion and I'm excited AF about his potential. How bad is the got damn Pac12 if that team beat UCLA and Stanford? 

35 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Casey Thompson fucks, I'm sorry you misunderstood my other post in the game thread about his performance. 

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The point is Sam can't make that same throw at all.

He can and has. It's hilarious to see the usual group of Sam haters pretend that he's never thrown a good deep ball. But that's neither here nor there, Thompson's play last night was very encouraging.

• Hook 'Em 4

20 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

And let's not forget how much Bijan being in the backfield will open things up in the passing game. Thompson is going to see a lot of one-on-one situations when defenses realize they need to load the box to have any hope of stopping Bijan.

"Rachel Phelps Tom Herman will never allow that to happen."

spacer.png

43 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

How great for Thompson if he can come into Spring and win the job in a fair competition - and still have three years of eligibility left.  3 years on the bench learning, maturing, and getting stronger.  Come in as a 21 year old first time starter and still have plenty of time to leave your mark on the program. 

If Casey is good enough, he will play awesome football and get drafted before those 3 years are up. Because that's what athletes with a high ceiling do -- go to the draft, not stick around in college for 5 years.

4 minutes ago, satyanash said:

He can and has. It's hilarious to see the usual group of Sam haters pretend that he's never thrown a good deep ball. But that's neither here nor there, Thompson's play last night was very encouraging.

Lulz. Casey showed last night what a lot of us have been saying all season. Sam has been missing reads and not playing within the context of the offense. He’s still a good QB and the offensive struggled are not all his fault, but he has absolutely been missing open reads, struggled with accuracy and hung around in the pocket too long. He has  struggled a lot this year and he’s not a good fit for Yurcich’s offense, which relies on beating teams deep to open up the underneath stuff. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Lulz. Casey showed last night what a lot of us have been saying all season. Sam has been missing reads and not playing within the context of the offense. He’s still a good QB and the offensive struggled are not all his fault, but he has absolutely been missing open reads, struggled with accuracy and hung around in the pocket too long. He has  struggled a lot this year and he’s not a good fit for Yurcich’s offense, which relies on beating teams deep to open up the underneath stuff. 

The struggled is real.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, satyanash said:

so time stamp which throw was 50 yards through the air on a dime for me....

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Too many blows to head over his career.   Not all his fault as Tom’s philosophy on offense makes the QBS improvise more because of shit play calling.   It was the same with Tom’s mentor Greg Davis, but because Vince and Colt had better supporting members on the team along with being better athletes than Sam, they didn’t take the brutal punishment game after game that Sam did and they made Greg Davis offense look good with their talent alone. 

3 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I did not know that. Then yeah, he's going pro in something else. Good thing Herman wanted to make those injuries worse like a good coach does. 

Not like Texas coaches has a history of using their QBs as battering rams to destroy their shoulders and heads.  Colt, David Ash and Sam can start a support group. 

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Thanks to Covid all of CFB can get the BYU elderly player experience 

Edited by perfectchaos007

29 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Don’t misrepresent the argument. Sam has thrown accurate long balls in his career.  A starter at a P5 program is supposed to be able to do that. 

The problem is he hasn’t completed many of them. Especially in this season. You could point them to his being banged up and that’s fair. But plain fact of the matter is, medium-long throws hitting receivers in stride this season is embarrassingly few and far in between. 

Just watch a season highlight of Lawrence, Trask, etc to see the difference. Hell, Fields has probably completed more bombs in 6 games than Ehlinger has. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

16 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Not like Texas coaches has a history of using their QBs as battering rams to destroy their shoulders and heads.  Colt, David Ash and Sam can start a support group. 

God this makes me sad. Not that Sam was going to make the NFL, but I worry he'll be walking like Earl Campbell by the time he hits 35

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

That play earned Brewer 10 WR screens next year. 

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:

God this makes me sad. Not that Sam was going to make the NFL, but I worry he'll be walking like Earl Campbell by the time he hits 35

Unless Sam is just a back-up in the NFL, I hope his football playing days are done. 

Stay healthy and enjoy the rest of your life -- You're A Great Longhorn Sam!!  🤘

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Sam ain't coming back. Why would he? Thompson has sat and learned what mistakes not to make. He's been patient, and he was hitting all the WR's on point. He made like 2 bad throws. Sam is a good kid, but he isn't beating out Thompson now. 

why do you believe it would be an open competition?

• Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, satyanash said:

The VERY FIRST THROW on that highlight reel is under thrown by four or five yards. Eagles has three full steps on the defender, and when the ball finally arrives, the defender actually has an outside shot at a PBU. That ball should be WAY farther in front of Eagles. It's a good read and good decision, but it's a hallmark average throw. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Somehow Mike Leach had a guy like this ever other year. Some random dude who had been in the program for three years without starting and then averaged 300 yards a game.

This feels like the Aggie Rollercoaster of Hype. 

Without a doubt Casey had a great game...

...but he came in in the 2nd half with a lead against a crap team that was overmatched, that didn't scheme against him and with a RB that was averaging 18 yards a pop. 

Did he play great? Yes.  Did he show a lot of potential? Absolutely.  Should we be excited? Hell Yeah. 

Comparing him to VY (or even Spenser Rattler who has a full year under his belt and a QB Whisper for a Coach) seems a bit premature.  

Let's see if he can have that type of performance against TCU, ISU or OU.  We have to also remember that it's going to be the same coaching staff that doesn't seem to develop or use talent very well.

Until Herman is gone, I don't believe Casey or anyone else can  lead us to the promised land

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

This feels like the Aggie Rollercoaster of Hype. 

Without a doubt Casey had a great game...

...but he came in in the 2nd half with a lead against a crap team that was overmatched, that didn't scheme against him and with a RB that was averaging 18 yards a pop. 

Did he play great? Yes.  Did he show a lot of potential? Absolutely.  Should we be excited? Hell Yeah. 

Comparing him to VY (or even Spenser Rattler who has a full year under his belt and a QB Whisper for a Coach) seems a bit premature.  

Let's see if he can have that type of performance against TCU, ISU or OU.  We have to also remember that it's going to be the same coaching staff that doesn't seem to develop or use talent very well.

Until Herman is gone, I don't believe Casey or anyone else can  lead us to the promised land

D509233D-2682-4D5A-94E9-02F4CB50A2ED.gif

Something that really has me thinking since last night is the first throw Thompson made coming out of half. 

It was a double post concept. I cannot remember us throwing that once all year. Not only was it the first play Casey threw, but they came back to it later for another td.

so either we have run that play and Sam never threw it, (Checkdown, run, etc as we can’t see what’s happening on the other side) or Sam can’t execute that throw/read so it was never brought to the game plan.

it just seems weird that your first pass play would be something that the starter never ran/executed.

• Like 2

Something that really has me thinking since last night is the first throw Thompson made coming out of half. 
It was a double post concept. I cannot remember us throwing that once all year. Not only was it the first play Casey threw, but they came back to it later for another td.
so either we have run that play and Sam never threw it, (Checkdown, run, etc as we can’t see what’s happening on the other side) or Sam can’t execute that throw/read so it was never brought to the game plan.
it just seems weird that your first pass play would be something that the starter never ran/executed.

I might get vilified by saying this, but this was the same damn thing I saw as an Eagles fan this season. Last night was like deja vu. Hurts comes in and it was like what? We have that play in the playbook? Same damn thing with Casey.
  • Hook 'Em 1