Casey Thompson

Tex Long

19 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Not calling out you specifically, this is just an example: Why does every criticism, hell not even criticism but just matter of fact observation of a flaw in his game, of Ehlinger have to start with “I love Sam?”

"Matter-of-fact observation"? It was a complete hypothetical. Sam's escaped many such would-be sacks in his career, what's stupid is automatically assuming he'd have been sacked on the play.

But of course, that's inconvenient to acknowledge when you're trying to lay all of the blame you possibly can at Sam's feet.

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Im going to look at this optimistically and say a shoulder injury started our 10 years of misery and a shoulder injury will be the beginning of 10 years of prosperity. 

Hopefully it isn't 10 years of super misery.

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 2

5 minutes ago, Texaspython said:

I’m pissed he hasn’t been starting since the TCU game last year. 

He definitely should have been getting more snaps.  Now we have to crunch all that experience into 3 nonconf games plus this one, one of which is on the road against Barry Odom

Edited by ClubWhatever

9 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

This is the kid we need to start against OU. The gooners always seem to beat us with a QB or kid at another skill position who is from the state of Texas so it'd be ideal to beat them with a kid from their shit hole state. 

Yes. Time to give them a taste of their own medicine.

After his 15-20 yard scramble last night I depressingly thought "This kid looks like he should be playing for OU"

What does that tell you about the last decade...

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

I realize our black and white world hates nuance more than anything ... but I am both excited about Casey and tempered by the fact the Colorado is terrible. I appreciate and respect Sam, but it feels like he's another game away from being Wooderson - he's got a lifetime gig working at the school or for any alumni ... 

1 hour ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Thompson played great and Sam played like shit but..... Colorado was REALLY bad. We shit all over them with most A LOT of our starters out. Looking forward to seeing Thompson against some good competition.

Doesn't the fact that  "A LOT of our starters (were) out" lessen the significance of Colorado being REALLY bad? 

That we looked so good with second teamers playing against a team that won five games seems to negate your "but."

We seemed to be on track to do the usual shitshow of jumping ahead, leaping about flexing, and then letting the other team turn the game into a needlessly tense race to the finish line. Instead, we ran away from them in the second half. 

Something was different. Maybe many things. QB? Coaching decisions? Inspiration? All or one could be the difference.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

s-l1000.jpg

There was an amusing tshirt back in that era with an OU player in a fur coat and cuffs in front of some kind of flashy car and bags of money lying around.

<That’s the joke>

We don’t vilify black dudes busted for blow like we used to.  If I had a dollar for every preppy Fiji or Delt slinging blow on college campuses, in that era, I’d have a pretty good party fund myself.

<No CR - OU sucks>

Also - no excuse for the total lack of control and rape - obviously.  OU’s student paper called for Barry’s head - we aren’t Baylor or UF Urban (I keed).  Just that Charles himself turned out to be a good family man.   Hoping you all also end up big fans of their family... 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

"Matter-of-fact observation"? It was a complete hypothetical. Sam's escaped many such would-be sacks in his career, what's stupid is automatically assuming he'd have been sacked on the play.
But of course, that's inconvenient to acknowledge when you're trying to lay all of the blame you possibly can at Sam's feet.

This season, he probably would have been sacked. As a freshman or sophomore, he takes off running.
I’m guessing at no point does he complete the pass.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Doesn't the fact that  "A LOT of our starters (were) out" lessen the significance of Colorado being REALLY bad? 

That we looked so good with second teamers playing against a team that won five games seems to negate your "but."

We seemed to be on track to do the usual shitshow of jumping ahead, leaping about flexing, and then letting the other team turn the game into a needlessly tense race to the finish line. Instead, we ran away from them in the second half. 

Something was different. Maybe many things. QB? Coaching decisions? Inspiration? All or one could be the difference.

There was a clear energy change when Thompson came in. Players were more amped up, offense was crisper, OLine was blocking with intent. Even the crowd got noticeably louder. Not saying it's necessarily fair to Sam, but it happened.

• Hook 'Em 2

48 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Not calling out you specifically, this is just an example: Why does every criticism, hell not even criticism but just matter of fact observation of a flaw in his game, of Ehlinger have to start with “I love Sam?”

Brick Tamland: “I love Sam.”
Ron Burgundy: “Do you really love Sam, or are you just saying it because you saw him?”
Brick Tamland: “I love Sam. I love Sam.”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Of course, this presupposes that the "first teamers" are better than the "second teamers."  And, Sam was ineffective against that awful team.

The thing that annoys me especially, is that Casey obviously is pretty competent.   He could have been used all season for a series or two to "spell" Sam, especially when Sam was having ineffective moments or periods.

• Hook 'Em 3

35 minutes ago, satyanash said:

The good news is that you don't have to blame Sam for any of this. He did all that was asked of him, and bled for the school. It's just a simple matter of Tom Herman being an idiot for not knowing his personnel and playing the best option available. Benching a senior QB for a younger, better option who provides a spark isn't easy, but it's one of those decisions that a big boy coach knows when to make.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

There was a clear energy change when Thompson came in. Players were more amped up, offense was crisper, OLine was blocking with intent. Even the crowd got noticeably louder. Not saying it's necessarily fair to Sam, but it happened.

I wasn't commenting on Sam. I was pointing out that us not having many of our starters evened the playing field with a poor Colorado team.

We were braver calling plays than usual with a lead in the second half. Casey executed brilliantly. The team was into it. All true.

I'm happy about that. I'm just not ready for mass mutual felating about Thompson. I am excited at the prospects.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Of course, this presupposes that the "first teamers" are better than the "second teamers."  And, Sam was ineffective against that awful team.

The thing that annoys me especially, is that Casey obviously is pretty competent.   He could have been used all season for a series or two to "spell" Sam, especially when Sam was having ineffective moments or periods.

Or we don't have every game turn into a shitfight no matter how bad the team we're playing is thus not allowing for second team playing time.

Under Mack, we'd crush teams and wait too long to give QB2 playing time. When tney actually got in, all the did was handoff. Arghhh!

Now, we almost never crush teams even shitty ones. Arghhhh!

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

We were braver calling plays than usual with a lead in the second half. Casey executed brilliantly. The team was into it. All true.

Perhaps most interesting and frustrating of all is that the gameplan was allegedly simplified for the second half with Casey and Card in.

That is perhaps an(other) indicator that Herman overmensafies everything.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

The most underrated throw of the night was the WR screen Thompson zipped out at chest level and gave the WR, Woodard, a chance to make a play. I can’t tell you how many of those have been duds with Sam either lacking zip and/or placement. Do I think Casey is headman winner? Of course not. Is Casey better than an injured throwing Sam? No doubt.

it’s funny @RomaVicta says we were more aggressive. It was pretty similar playcalling. Casey could just throw the ball more accurately and with less hesitation.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, babysdaddy said:

I don't understand the concern of this tweet.  He's now the defacto starter.  Why would he leave now?

I guess his tweet implies the possibility of Sam returning to Texas and Tom Herman sticking with him as the starting QB.  If that's turns out to be the case, then indeed Casey Thompson is gone.

4 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Don't get this at all.   So he has three years remaining meaning he could get a Master's Degree and take his time doing it as well if he stays a full three years.    Not saying he anywhere close to NFL material at this time, but the miniumum he'd be at the Forty is two years if he gets on NFL radars anytime in the next two seasons.  

16 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

The most underrated throw of the night was the WR screen Thompson zipped out at chest level and gave the WR, Woodard, a chance to make a play. I can’t tell you how many of those have been duds with Sam either lacking zip and/or placement. Do I think Casey is headman winner? Of course not. Is Casey better than an injured throwing Sam? No doubt.

it’s funny @RomaVicta says we were more aggressive. It was pretty similar playcalling. Casey could just throw the ball more accurately and with less hesitation.

Good post. I'm no football expert, but I feel like with a two score lead in the second half, we've often run the ball up the middle three times in hopes of burning the last 21 minutes off the clock. Turtle Tom and all that.

4 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

I don't understand the concern of this tweet.  He's now the defacto starter.  Why would he leave now?

Because for a year he's seen/heard/read every report that says the coaching staff see's Card as the successor to Sam.  Casey already portaled once and was talked out of it.  If he doesn't think he will get a fair shot with the coaching staff I could see hjim leaving so that he has plenty of time to get on a new team and learn a new offense.

14 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Perhaps most interesting and frustrating of all is that the gameplan was allegedly simplified for the second half with Casey and Card in.

That is perhaps an(other) indicator that Herman overmensafies everything.

Yup, was my thought as well. 

Mack/GD used to drive us nuts because of the often basic/boring offensive gameplans. But it was calculated - when you have superior talent (and they almost always did), there is no need to over-complicate things because you win almost all the time if you are fundamentally sound and just execute. (Their flaw was that they thought they could do that against the better teams on the schedule as well. Or maybe they just had no imagination. I don't know.)

That's part of what's been so maddening about Herman, particularly this season - they almost certainly had the best roster in the conference. The supposed "simplified" play-calling would have been more successful than whatever they actually did. 

(Except that Herman's teams are not fundamentally sound - penalties and special teams gaffes, etc.)

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Good post. I'm no football expert, but I feel like with a two score lead in the second half, we've often run the ball up the middle three times in hopes of burning the last 21 minutes off the clock. Turtle Tom and all that.

Casey only threw it 10 times total. And we started the 2nd half in a one possession game. It's not Casey's fault he got the team to score 31 points on straight possessions just by being accurate, or maybe it is exactly that. 

Edited by taybo20

6 minutes ago, Eggo said:

There hasn't been a QB rotation all year.

was there an otherwise inexplicable running back rotation last night, even while the offense struggled on five consecutive possessions, that Herman tried to excuse in his post-game comments by saying he wanted to keep them fresh? 

might I have been making an allusion to that, in a joking fashion?

maybe?

18 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I guess his tweet implies the possibility of Sam returning to Texas and Tom Herman sticking with him as the starting QB.  If that's turns out to be the case, then indeed Casey Thompson is gone.

That was my concern last night.  I hope Sam's family and Tom are having a very frank conversation with Sam that he has done so much, bled so much, but it's time to move on. 

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

50 yards through the air with velocity, just spectacular. 

It was underthrown and fluttering but can be forgiven because of the back foot slip and the receiver having his guy beaten easily. But let's not get crazy and call it a great throw. It dropped right into Dixon's hands because Dixon adjusted well, not because it was thrown perfectly. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, Huckleberry said:

It was underthrown and fluttering but can be forgiven because of the back foot slip and the receiver having his guy beaten easily. But let's not get crazy and call it a great throw. It dropped right into Dixon's hands because Dixon adjusted well, not because it was thrown perfectly. 

The point is Sam can't make that same throw at all.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Fuck You 1