Casey Thompson

Tex Long

Just now, Spider2YBanana said:

That's pretty cool to hear. I hate when "fans" take shit personally just because a kid goes somewhere they dislike. It's like bro, it's a game. Calm down. 

Agree my man, but that game gets heated.  I was front row on the 40ish for one of the Chris Simms games.  He came over to the phone to call upstairs and I absolutely unloaded some of the most vile shit you’ll ever hear.  It seemed normal in the heat of that moment but not proud of it and I don’t do that shit anymore.  I can still remember that nervous peek he took.  I’m sure I had some sort of psychotic look going.  Live and learn.  

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Agree my man, but that game gets heated.  I was front row on the 40ish for one of the Chris Simms games.  He came over to the phone to call upstairs and I absolutely unloaded some of the most vile shit you’ll ever hear.  It seemed normal in the heat of that moment but not proud of it and I don’t do that shit anymore.  I can still remember that nervous peek he took.  I’m sure I had some sort of psychotic look going.  Live and learn.  

Oh God, Chris Simms games. I want that bleached out of my brain. The "throw" is all I think about when I see his stupid face. 

Thompson is actually accurate with the ball and can make plays. Ehlinger is a warrior but he's just never been accurate and that's been a massive thing holding the offense back. It's not a coincidence the receivers started looking great when the ball was being delivered in stride on the dot consistently in the 3rd and early 4th. The entire team fed off of that. 

Gotta say Sam if you wanna keep playing you need to go pro or grad transfer because Thompson's the man next season. Gotta develop and ride this kid's accurate arm and seemingly good head. 

• Hook 'Em 8

22 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Sam ain't coming back. Why would he? Thompson has sat and learned what mistakes not to make. He's been patient, and he was hitting all the WR's on point. He made like 2 bad throws. Sam is a good kid, but he isn't beating out Thompson now. 

If his draft stock is bad now, imagine what happens to it when he gets benched in 2021. Fans will be screaming for Casey when Sam gets cold and the offense goes into one of its long droughts. Gotta go pro even if it's UFA

22 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

That was a wild ride

yeah it was--so was the failed 4th and short attempts rather than taking the points.  Could seemingly beat everybody to we're going to break even to we could make the conference championship fuck it let's win the Alamo Bowl.  

Just now, B00M said:

If his draft stock is bad now, imagine what happens to it when he gets benched in 2021. Fans will be screaming for Casey when Sam gets cold and the offense goes into one of its long droughts. Gotta go pro even if it's UFA

Man, I'm hoping he goes pro. He just can't get it done here, and that's a tough pill to swallow. He's not getting better, and scouts know that. I think after seeing Casey do his thing tonight, he knows it's over. I wish him well. 

Just now, Spider2YBanana said:

Man, I'm hoping he goes pro. He just can't get it done here, and that's a tough pill to swallow. He's not getting better, and scouts know that. I think after seeing Casey do his thing tonight, he knows it's over. I wish him well. 

If he's not getting better at the college level and can't win it, why would the pros want him?  He's not going out on top.  Then again, sounds like he got hurt early against Tech and proceeded to play throughout the season.  

Hopefully he heals up, rests and recovers to compete wherever he decides.  If he returns, hopefully, he can push Casey or whomever so that everybody benefits through competition.  And Herman will have his own thing going at a Louisiana directional school.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Mdhorn said:

If he's not getting better at the college level and can't win it, why would the pros want him?  He's not going out on top.  Then again, sounds like he got hurt early against Tech and proceeded to play throughout the season.  

Hopefully he heals up, rests and recovers to compete wherever he decides.  If he returns, hopefully, he can push Casey or whomever so that everybody benefits through competition.  And Herman will have his own thing going at a Louisiana directional school.  

True. I don't think he'll be drafted, but I think he can make a practice squad and learn. But, if he does come back I hope the next coach gives a clean slate and looks at film. 

7 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

He needs to go pro in something other than football. The dude isn't even accurate at the college level. No way he plays in the NFL unless he pulls a Belldozer and goes to TE and can actually play it

• Hook 'Em 4

8 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

He needs to go pro in something other than football. The dude isn't even accurate at the college level. No way he plays in the NFL unless he pulls a Belldozer and goes to TE and can actually play it

He's way too injury prone for that. Herman killed his body. I agree he needs to go pro in something other than sports. He's a smart kid, so I have no doubt he'll be successful in whatever he does. 

I mean Colt McCoy, one of the greatest QBs and one of the most accurate in program history, has barely been able to scratch out a decade long career as a career backup. That's just such a massive jump in level for that position. Ehlinger has no shot. Dude's a warrior and deserves massive respect for what he's done and put on the line but he needs to hang it up and take pics with fans at the alumni center on game days going forward. Thompson is the man going forward and it's not even close. Just hope Herman doesn't ruin him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, B00M said:

I think he has got to just declare and go to the senior bowl.  If he can put on a good showing there, then maybe he gets drafted or makes somewhere as a UFA.

4 hours ago, Hermanator said:

residential real estate, here he comes!

• Hook 'Em 1

Watching the highlights again. 3 of those TD passes where file dropping balls that Sam just doesn’t complete.  I mean this dude came in and with zero action in his career just started fucking slinging it all over the place running his balls all over everyone like he had been playing all year  hopefully he doesn’t get ruined in the off season 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

This is a case of either getting in good with the corch (Sam), or sometimes practice don't make a shit, only game time (Casey) 

Looking across the roster and depth chart at poor personnel decisions who knows 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

Thompson played great and Sam played like shit but..... Colorado was REALLY bad. We shit all over them with most A LOT of our starters out. Looking forward to seeing Thompson against some good competition.

They’re no worse than the bottom third of the B12, with whom Texas routinely fucks around with losing to. I’d say the bigger concern is that the talent won’t be utilized when Herman is retained.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

had to go to the PBP to make sure i captured the exact moment:

+++

3rd & 6 at TEX 39

(9:05 - 3rd) Casey Thompson pass complete to Cade Brewer for 21 yds to the Colo 40 for a 1ST down

+++

this was the throw that dropped my jaw.  the footwork to evade a rusher at speed while reading his options and checking the fuck down to brewer who has 2 guys with him and a 3rd closing fast, then dropping the ball with touch in a hole throwing back across his body.

i said to myself: self, that's a mahomes throw.  what in the everloving fuck.

this play *should be* the moment we look back on.

assuming thermensa fails to coach him down.

Watch the play closer he went from his first read, then checked to the RB out of the backfield which was covered, then went to Brewer as his 3rd read while avoiding the rush. The throw was a thing of beauty and I’ve never seen sam do that kind of progression/throw

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Ah, the usual Sooner “look”. 😄

Edited by Armybrat
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

had to go to the PBP to make sure i captured the exact moment:

+++

3rd & 6 at TEX 39

(9:05 - 3rd) Casey Thompson pass complete to Cade Brewer for 21 yds to the Colo 40 for a 1ST down

+++

this was the throw that dropped my jaw.  the footwork to evade a rusher at speed while reading his options and checking the fuck down to brewer who has 2 guys with him and a 3rd closing fast, then dropping the ball with touch in a hole throwing back across his body.

i said to myself: self, that's a mahomes throw.  what in the everloving fuck.

this play *should be* the moment we look back on.

assuming thermensa fails to coach him down.

Yep.  The accuracy on deeper throws was impressive, but this was the play that got me excited because of everything he did right before the really good throw.

I love Sam, but he gets sacked there.

• Hook 'Em 3

39 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Considering Mensa wouldn’t even say anything complimentary about Thompson except that they’ve seen in him practice, doesn’t give me much hope.

On the field right after the game, Mensa was silent for a good 10 seconds when asked what Sam has meant to this team. I thought maybe he was trying to compose himself or was about to utter a profundity (he’s Mensa), but nope, good ol’ Tom was hoping the question would go away. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

8 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Peterson talked shit about Texas, said his only chance to win a championship was at Oklahoma, proceeded to get blown the fuck out in his only championship shot at Oklahoma, watched Texas win a national championship while he was at Oklahoma, finished with a losing record against Texas, and then proceeded to beat his child.

And don't forget getting chased down by a slow lineman from New Mexico in his last matchup against the Longhorns.

Yep.  The accuracy on deeper throws was impressive, but this was the play that got me excited because of everything he did right before the really good throw.
I love Sam, but he gets sacked there.

Not calling out you specifically, this is just an example: Why does every criticism, hell not even criticism but just matter of fact observation of a flaw in his game, of Ehlinger have to start with “I love Sam?”

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Not calling out you specifically, this is just an example: Why does every criticism, hell not even criticism but just matter of fact observation of a flaw in his game, of Ehlinger have to start with “I love Sam?”

Because if you don't preface your negative Sam thoughts with love for Sam the Westlake mafia will gut you like a fucking fish!

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

It's the surly, "I'm not a racist but"

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Well, he's a good Longhorn and a good guy.  And he lost his job last night due to injury in possibly his final game.  When criticizing a guy like that, I like to be a little gentler than with someone like Tom, who can fuck all the way off, for example.

• Hook 'Em 6