Casey Thompson

Tex Long

3 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

This feels like the Aggie Rollercoaster of Hype. 

Until Herman is gone, I don't believe Casey or anyone else can  lead us to the promised land

you post facts.  can we please be allowed to fap to the fantasy of transcendence?  just for a couple of days?

i woke up at 5am totally rested and ready (but not tanned).  best i've felt in months.  walking on sunshine all day in the cold rain.

/salt the snail

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Majorcholas said:

Something that really has me thinking since last night is the first throw Thompson made coming out of half. 

It was a double post concept. I cannot remember us throwing that once all year. Not only was it the first play Casey threw, but they came back to it later for another td.

so either we have run that play and Sam never threw it, (Checkdown, run, etc as we can’t see what’s happening on the other side) or Sam can’t execute that throw/read so it was never brought to the game plan.

it just seems weird that your first pass play would be something that the starter never ran/executed.

We've run it a bunch with Sam. He threw a TD to Jake Smith against LSU with the same concept. I also remember a couple to both Eagles and LIl Jordan Humpherey against OU. 

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

We've run it a bunch with Sam. He threw a TD to Jake Smith against LSU with the same concept. I also remember a couple to both Eagles and LIl Jordan Humpherey against OU. 

Last year right? Different OC’s.

I just don’t remember it being a staple this year and I could give you a handful of concepts we seem to run over and over and double post was not one of them. It just seams weird to see Casey come out and that be the go to concept.

1 hour ago, Majorcholas said:

Last year right? Different OC’s.

I just don’t remember it being a staple this year and I could give you a handful of concepts we seem to run over and over and double post was not one of them. It just seams weird to see Casey come out and that be the go to concept.

Pretty sure we ran it multiple times against UTSA and I believe we ran it to Moore against OU (can’t remember if it was a double post but Moore was open on the post) but Sam threw it high and behind him. It’s definitely a concept we’ve run with Sam, but Casey certainly throws it a lot better and trusts his receivers to go get it. 

7 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Pretty much this. After nearly a decade of Herp, Swoopes, etc., Sam seemed like a transcendent QB. In reality, he's a solid college QB with some major limitations. Love his toughness, but he has an obvious ceiling as a thrower (and runner). If he comes back, I have no doubt Mensa will hand him the starting job, Casey will transfer, and our QB room will once again be fucked. I appreciate him putting his body on the line for our entertainment, but it's time.

• Hook 'Em 5

7 minutes ago, TXpride said:

Pretty much this. After nearly a decade of Herp, Swoopes, etc., Sam seemed like a transcendent QB. In reality, he's a solid college QB with some major limitations. Love his toughness, but he has an obvious ceiling as a thrower (and runner). If he comes back, I have no doubt Mensa will hand him the starting job, Casey will transfer, and our QB room will once again be fucked. I appreciate him putting his body on the line for our entertainment, but it's time.

Had Sam followed VY and Colt, I don't think we would have the same outlook as we do now. But he followed a decade of very bad QB play (some had to do with coaching) so he looked better than what he was. I think he could have did better with a better coach. I think you could have placed Sam in the system Tebow played in and the results would be the same in my eyes. Place Tebow with Herman and this situation and no way does he do what he did in Florida. But even after all that, Sam was too inconsistent at times to lead us anywhere. He never consistently improved. After the Sugar Bowl win, he reverted back to his freshman days. It was a rollercoaster ride with him. Sam is definitely the best of the others we rolled out there but we can definitely do better. A 5th year of him would be a letdown for me. We need a new coach and new QB next year. Herman/Sam can go out together.

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

Anyone saying that TD pass was an under thrown is blind. That receiver never broke stride and barely altered the route. You can't ask for much better than that from Aaron Rodgers much less a college kid

It was underthrown by a half step, but given Dixon had about 5 steps on his defender, in that situation thats the right throw. No need to make it a riskier throw when you don't need to. It was a smart throw

• Hook 'Em 1

We're going to have to disagree. If you see a receiver that broke stride on that pass then I don't know what to say because I don't see any break in stride. He also threw it to a spot away from the deep safety so if the safety had picked up that route it wouldn't have mattered. Their zone LB unable to cover deep middle and safety taking the outside route (or reading a post corner from the inside receiver) made it a much bigger window, but that throw made the catch as easy as a 50 yd post route dragging away from the field safety against that zone look can be. Thompson made the correct read on the safety alignment and the LB coverage and without hesitation fired outside to allow the recover to drag the route away from the defenders while hitting the guy in stride. There's nothing to nit pick on that read or throw it was almost perfect for that defense and reaction from the safety. I'd much rather see that than what a lot of QBs do and overthrow that ball aiming far more vertically than it needs to be. 

The throw to Brewer was obviously more difficult given the angle, coverage, and pressure forcing him to juke then quickly reset and fire but we weren't talking about that throw. We were talking about you downplaying just how perfectly Thompson's placement to Dixon was to make the catch and run as easy as possible on him. 

Edited by Wanker Bob
  • Fuck You 1

There's definitely going to be a QB competition in the spring and I'm pretty confident both quarterbacks are going to play early in the season. Given how much of an ass beating Tom Herman is taking in recruiting right now I think the perception that he didn't give a 4-star kid from Lake Travis a shot to win the QB job would be used against him. 

I have a feeling we're going to be very frustrated with our QB deployment next year.

This isn't hard. Great QBs play fucking great and get drafted. It really is that fucking simple. If Sam was a great college QB, he'd go to the draft and go pro. Not come back for a fucking 5th year to amass more stats. Move the fuck on and give someone else a try. Shit is stale.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

We're going to have to disagree. If you see a receiver that broke stride on that pass then I don't know what to say because I don't see any break in stride. He also threw it to a spot away from the deep safety so if the safety had picked up that route it wouldn't have mattered. Their zone LB unable to cover deep middle and safety taking the outside route (or reading a post corner from the inside receiver) made it a much bigger window, but that throw made the catch as easy as a 50 yd post route dragging away from the field safety against that zone look can be. Thompson made the correct read on the safety alignment and the LB coverage and without hesitation fired outside to allow the recover to drag the route away from the defenders while hitting the guy in stride. There's nothing to nit pick on that read or throw it was almost perfect for that defense and reaction from the safety. I'd much rather see that than what a lot of QBs do and overthrow that ball aiming far more vertically than it needs to be. 
The throw to Brewer was obviously more difficult given the angle, coverage, and pressure forcing him to juke then quickly reset and fire but we weren't talking about that throw. We were talking about you downplaying just how perfectly Thompson's placement to Dixon was to make the catch and run as easy as possible on him. 

Except Dixon did break stride, look at the wide angle replay then the final close up. He has to kind of throw his left hand back at one point to help slow himself up and maintain balance around the 40. The LB closes several yards, then Dixon catches the ball and turns the speed back on and separates from him about another yard before scoring. He slowed down. It was still a really good throw, it just wasn’t 100% in stride or else Dixon would have ended up 7-10 yards ahead of the LB when he scored. Casey balled out, love to see it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

This is a classic troll post.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Yup, was my thought as well. 

Mack/GD used to drive us nuts because of the often basic/boring offensive gameplans. But it was calculated - when you have superior talent (and they almost always did), there is no need to over-complicate things because you win almost all the time if you are fundamentally sound and just execute. (Their flaw was that they thought they could do that against the better teams on the schedule as well. Or maybe they just had no imagination. I don't know.)

That's part of what's been so maddening about Herman, particularly this season - they almost certainly had the best roster in the conference. The supposed "simplified" play-calling would have been more successful than whatever they actually did. 

(Except that Herman's teams are not fundamentally sound - penalties and special teams gaffes, etc.)

Funny thing, though, the "complicated" or overcomplicated game plan seems at odds with Herman's stated desire to "impose our will" on the opponent.

I suppose imposing our will is subject to various interpretations, but I have always interpreted it as meaning "out-talent" and "out-execute" rather than out-scheme our opponents.  The context in which Herman has said it (allegedly?) seems to support that definition.

Of course, the problem is that we don't have the across-the-board talent or coaching to out-talent or out-execute hardly anyone other than UTEP and possibly Colorado.

30 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Funny thing, though, the "complicated" or overcomplicated game plan seems at odds with Herman's stated desire to "impose our will" on the opponent.

I suppose imposing our will is subject to various interpretations, but I have always interpreted it as meaning "out-talent" and "out-execute" rather than out-scheme our opponents.  The context in which Herman has said it (allegedly?) seems to support that definition.

Of course, the problem is that we don't have the across-the-board talent or coaching to out-talent or out-execute hardly anyone other than UTEP and possibly Colorado.

Maybe we had the talent. Imposing our will might mean that Herman thought his offense was so brilliant, that other teams would have to play it a certain way. Therefore, he didn't need to watch their game films. But then Herman runs up against a coach who is smarter, who changes his strategy by watching game films, and Herman loses.

You know something is wrong when an opponent gets blown out by somebody the week before, and then they play you tough, maybe even beat you. Seems that was a big problem with Mack Brown. We'd play a team like NTSU, who we could run circles around, and GDGD would come out with his lateral passing attack, and it would be close. Wasn't Mack an "imposing our will" guy? Maybe that's code for we're too lazy to watch game films on Sunday and scheme like a real dedicated coaching staff would do. Tom is fat and lazy. Get him the hell out of here.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

1 hour ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Maybe we had the talent. Imposing our will might mean that Herman thought his offense was so brilliant, that other teams would have to play it a certain way. Therefore, he didn't need to watch their game films. But then Herman runs up against a coach who is smarter, who changes his strategy by watching game films, and Herman loses.

You know something is wrong when an opponent gets blown out by somebody the week before, and then they play you tough, maybe even beat you. Seems that was a big problem with Mack Brown. We'd play a team like NTSU, who we could run circles around, and GDGD would come out with his lateral passing attack, and it would be close. Wasn't Mack an "imposing our will" guy? Maybe that's code for we're too lazy to watch game films on Sunday and scheme like a real dedicated coaching staff would do. Tom is fat and lazy. Get him the hell out of here.

Wait, you think the problem with Mack Brown was that we didn't blow out the overmatched teams we played? Seriously? If anything, that was his strength as a coach. We would beat the teams we were supposed to beat, usually soundly. 

7 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

We're going to have to disagree. If you see a receiver that broke stride on that pass then I don't know what to say because I don't see any break in stride.

Dude, he clearly broke stride.  You should change your name to Donny, because you're out of your element.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Wait, you think the problem with Mack Brown was that we didn't blow out the overmatched teams we played? Seriously? If anything, that was his strength as a coach. We would beat the teams we were supposed to beat, usually soundly. 

At his best - Mack would pretty often* blow out good teams that we were supposed to play tight. See 05 Tech, 08 Mizzou off the top of my head. Add:

01 CU 1st time around (rage)

03 Corn and okie lite

04 Okie lite (maybe asterisk this one)

07 TCU and ASU

09 okie lite 

Those were all absolute beat downs of ranked teams.

Herman has never done that either. Save in bowl games after we were no longer playing for anything.

Edited by ztejas

1 hour ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

T Herman definition of imposing our will painfully means that he will not make in-game adjustments. He is constantly throwing away points by doubling down on this mantra, and shitting on momentum/scoring.

He needs every gotdamned  point that presents itself and for some reason even after getting his ass handed to him on bad decision after bad decision, continues with this buttfuckery. 

4th -1. First quarter up 7-0, he elects to smash instead of points, shits on Mo. You guys call him Turtle, but I think he is more of an armadillo. This fucker jumps when he is supposed to duck and doesn’t know the difference until he is buzzard food.

On 12/30/2020 at 9:07 AM, gmr548 said:

Not calling out you specifically, this is just an example: Why does every criticism, hell not even criticism but just matter of fact observation of a flaw in his game, of Ehlinger have to start with “I love Sam?”

Everyone got so used to saying “I love Charlie, but....”  

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

On 12/30/2020 at 10:48 AM, Jive Turkey said:

9 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

We're going to have to disagree. If you see a receiver that broke stride on that pass then I don't know what to say because I don't see any break in stride.

Wanker, check out Jive Turkey’s replay at the :54 mark. If that’s not breaking stride, I don’t what it would take to convince you. That’s what Huckleberry is talking about. 

My point was that's the perfect throw for the situation and he read the situation perfectly. Receiver blowing by a linebacker off the line and the field safety is shading towards the outside receiver so trying to make a perfect throw ends up with an overthrow more times than not. He led the receiver to the boundary side instead of the end zone and put it right where he can catch it without having to break down or lay out for it. I can tell from five of his throws he's got definite NFL potential which is much more than the guy he replaced who has zero NFL potential. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

At his best - Mack would pretty often* blow out good teams that we were supposed to play tight. See 05 Tech, 08 Mizzou off the top of my head. Add:

01 CU 1st time around (rage)

03 Corn and okie lite

04 Okie lite (maybe asterisk this one)

07 TCU and ASU

09 okie lite 

Those were all absolute beat downs of ranked teams.

Herman has never done that either. Save in bowl games after we were no longer playing for anything.

Before Mack, we used to beat Tech like a redheaded stepchild. Because we had a bigger line and better running backs. Mack struggled against Tech, although I do remember one time when we beat the piss out of them, coulda been 2005, Big Score, Big Numbers, and I can remember at the end of the game, when we had compiled like 500 yards rushing, and I'm thinking "this is the new Texas..." and a reporter, on air, confronts Brown about this amazing victory. "Well," Mack says, "for starters, we ran the ball too much..." (or something like that). and that pretty well summarizes how he played Rice and NTSU - way too close for comfort, generally, not always, but generally.

We didn't see that kind of running attack for the rest of the season.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

1 hour ago, Wanker Bob said:

My point was that's the perfect throw for the situation and he read the situation perfectly. Receiver blowing by a linebacker off the line and the field safety is shading towards the outside receiver so trying to make a perfect throw ends up with an overthrow more times than not. He led the receiver to the boundary side instead of the end zone and put it right where he can catch it without having to break down or lay out for it. I can tell from five of his throws he's got definite NFL potential which is much more than the guy he replaced who has zero NFL potential. 

Getting drunk earlier I guess. 

It's New Years Eve on a terrible year, I guess that's cool. But your takes may not seem so well thought out when you're sober.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

Hopefully Casey doesn’t die running those QB powers under Urban. He literally gets lit up everytime he runs it. Urban needs to take some tips from Air Raid disciplines on how to run your QB efficiently. 

FIFY, but sadly it's still pretty accurate.

Before Mack, we used to beat Tech like a redheaded stepchild. Because we had a bigger line and better running backs. Mack struggled against Tech, although I do remember one time when we beat the piss out of them, coulda been 2005, Big Score, Big Numbers, and I can remember at the end of the game, when we had compiled like 500 yards rushing, and I'm thinking "this is the new Texas..." and a reporter, on air, confronts Brown about this amazing victory. "Well," Mack says, "for starters, we ran the ball too much..." (or something like that). and that pretty well summarizes how he played Rice and NTSU - way too close for comfort, generally, not always, but generally.
We didn't see that kind of running attack for the rest of the season.

It was always all about balance with Mack. Fuck that. Run something until they stop it constantly.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Personally, I don't care if Kelvontay broke stride or not.  That throw looked like 6 as soon as Casey threw it, and as soon as 16 caught it, it was going to be nothing but a touchdown.  He was wide open, caught a good throw and took it home.  It wasn't close.

I'd like to see that again.

• Hook 'Em 5

21 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

No, you just don't know what you're watching. The ball was underthrown by at least 3 yards.

It's okay, lots of Americans sound really dumb when discussing soccer so you're not alone on this kind of thing. It's often helpful for new fans to use reference points. For example, on this play Dixon is 4+ yards ahead of the linebacker and still separating when the camera picks him up. He is 1.5 yards ahead when he catches it. You can also see him clearly start chopping his steps at the 40 yard line. This is most visible when he steps at the 36 yard line with his right foot and then the 35 yard line with his left foot. 

However, if you think an FBS wide receiver has a 1 yard stride or that slowing down to a 1 yard stride then speeding back up to a 2.25 yard stride qualifies as never breaking stride then it's probably not a new fan thing, it's just a general lack of athletic knowledge. 

The dumbest part about choosing this argument is that Thompson made a world class throw to Brewer on another play but most fans are unable to identify who did what on a play. Long touchdown equals Aaron Rodgers like throw hurr durr. Not to mention what I previously said regarding this play in that when your receiver is that far ahead of a much slower defender you don't even want your QB to throw a perfectly in stride ball. You'd rather he do what Thompson did and underthrow it by a few yards. 

Glad to help. 

And it actually is important to recognize exactly what happened on this play because it showed that Kelvontay Dixon has excellent ball tracking skills which a lot of our receivers lately have lacked.  Receivers who are fast but have terrible ball skills aren't actually good deep threats. Brennan Eagles, whom I like as a receiver more than most around here but think he wasn't utilized correctly, would have read the trajectory more slowly, taken 2 or 3 extra full speed strides, then would have had to come to almost a stop, turn around and face the ball, make the catch, and get tackled at the 25.

Dixon recognized the trajectory immediately, began slowing down, reached his slowest speed at the 35, then accelerated through the catch around the 31. He made a really good play on the ball that enabled the touchdown and he isn't getting enough credit. 

holy shit. you wrote that much to engage in a trivial argument over a clearly underthrown pass? You get paid by the word here?