Casey Thompson

Tex Long

On 12/20/2021 at 9:13 AM, immamac said:

until he xferred there (ou)  and enrolled then decided he wouldn't start there either so it was better to just stay at texas where he probably had a better chance to start.

He was selfish player, that selfishness looked like selflessness situationally on occasion, but if you followed the whole story with context it's clear the only player and the only team that Casey cared about was Team Casey Thompson. 

He constantly overestimated his abilities, was obviously not a leader when the team needed a leader the most and is now immediately bailing after a season didn't go his way. All this nonsense about him being a great longhorn is exactly that, nonsense. Casey just did what was in his best interest the entire time and had a bunch of backchanneling in the media to control a narrative.

I'm fine with the well wishing, but lets not sit here and pretend Casey Thompson was some great that we will be talking about even after next season or during next season with "what if Casey would have stayed". Ain't nobody gonna give a shit.

Immamac had a great explanation (post quoted above) on why so many Texas fans soured on Casey.  And the shit Casey's Dad pushed thru media (FCB and others) was detrimental to the Texas program.

I'll add this from my sources:  Many of his teammates hated the guy.  He was not a leader, and not a good person.  This team is better and happier without him.

Congrats on his UT degree -- good luck at CORN Casey.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Immamac had a great explanation (post quoted above) on why so many Texas fans soured on Casey.  And the shit Casey's Dad pushed thru media (FCB and others) was detrimental to the Texas program.

I'll add this from my sources:  Many of his teammates hated the guy.  He was not a leader, and not a good person.  This team is better and happier without him.

Are there any specific concrete examples you can share w/o violating confidences, etc?  I've heard comments about arrogance, poor effort, and lack of background study.  

There were reasons Card was named the starter at the beginning of the season and I have to believe they were more meaningful and sophisticated than, "everything being equal, start the young guy."

18 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Oh, FFS.  Unless you people name your mysterious sources and cite specific examples that aren't 9.95 folklore, give it a break.  Just look at his post and how many of his teammates and former teammates are congratulating him.  If he was as hated by the team as some of you imply, nobody would be commenting at all.

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

From burnt orange to Big Red: Former Texas QB Casey Thompson commits to Nebraska

Fuck Brian Davis, Hookem    Fri, January 7, 2022

AUSTIN, Texas — Casey Thompson is trading burnt orange for Big Red.  The former Texas quarterback announced on Instagram on Friday that he’s committed to Nebraska.

Thompson posted a quote on Instagram that said, “Always got an ace up my sleeve for whatever was dealt.” He then wrote, “Bet on yourself! Nebraska, let’s get it.”

The Cornhuskers are getting a durable ready-made starter. Thompson played at Texas the last four seasons, serving as Sam Ehlinger’s backup in 2019 and 2020 before battling for the starting job last season.

Thompson took over the starting duties from Hudson Card in week three and threw six touchdown passes against Texas Tech and TCU. But Thompson suffered a right thumb injury against Oklahoma and was noticeably different.

In November, Thompson said has struggled to even grip the ball and didn’t even hold a football outside of practice. Images of Thompson swollen hand were posted on Twitter shortly after the season.

Still, Thompson finished the season with 2,113 yards with 24 touchdowns and nine interceptions. He would also throw a school record-tying six touchdowns in a loss to Kansas.

73d897d8053c4697b936509a3777bee3

Casey Thompson throws a pass during the Texas Longhorns game against the Kansas State Wildcats on Nov. 26.

Even though Thompson was in line to remain the starter for 2022, Texas coach Steve Sarkisian announced he was reopening the quarterback battle this offseason. Then, the Horns landed a commitment from Ohio State transfer Quinn Ewers and signed high school recruit Maalik Murphy.

One source close to Thompson told the Austin American-Statesman the quarterback felt there was “too much politics” involved in the quarterback race. Ewers is widely perceived to be the odds-on favorite to start the 2022 season, even over Card.

Thompson needed to make his final decision soon. The Huskers begin winter offseason conditioning on Monday. The spring semester officially begins on Jan. 18 in Lincoln, Neb.

Nebraska also needs a veteran quarterback in what is considered a make-or-break year for coach Scott Frost. The Lincoln Journal Star reported that Nebraska coaches were recruiting Thompson and Missouri transfer Connor Bazelak, who committed to Indiana last week.

49 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

Oh, FFS.  Unless you people name your mysterious sources and cite specific examples that aren't 9.95 folklore, give it a break.  Just look at his post and how many of his teammates and former teammates are congratulating him.  If he was as hated by the team as some of you imply, nobody would be commenting at all.

This. Let it go. We moved on to Ewers and he moved on to Nebraska. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

I was and am still a fan. Gave it his best while here, especially with the bum thumb, and hope he succeeds in Lincoln. Fresh starts are sometimes needed.

Don't give a shit about his dad but I do about Casey and wish him the best. 

No offense but negging you out of principle.

And I mean wow - the virture signaling here - jeez. Y'all just handed helo double digit rep for simping for fucking Casey Thompson. Kid started for 5 wins at Texas and those of us doubting his character are somehow pieces of shit that don't appreciate his contribution.

Sorry for holding the football program at Texas to a higher standard. I hope I don't offend anyone by not giving a fuck about some JAG that won 5 games for us. 

Thoroughly embarrassed to be a Texas fan sometimes. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I dont get the Thompson hate here

sure, fuck his dad and all if the rumors are true… but dude was the 2nd best qb we have had in over a decade and gave it his all this year after waiting on the bench for years

jesus guys

I probably wouldn’t exhibit as much disdain for the kid if I didn’t read idiotic comments like this. 2nd best QB in over a decade is a really dumb comment. 

2 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

I probably wouldn’t exhibit as much disdain for the kid if I didn’t read idiotic comments like this. 2nd best QB in over a decade is a really dumb comment. 

Yeah but you'll always read comments like that. Texas has a soft-ass, West-coastesque fanbase that forgives losers and quitters like Casey Thompson and they pretend like they themselves have nothing to do with the culture surrounding the program. 

It's tough to swallow sometimes as a non-grad fan but my God is it apparent. 

12 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Yeah, I've bit my tongue about all this Casey Thompson shit for a long time, but to close Casey's UT chapter out, I decided to finally share with Surly folks what I've been hearing about Casey for a couple years from folks in the Texas program that know.

I've already shared that info tonight -- now like @Js1 has asked below,  I'm done commenting about Casey's time at UT.

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

This. Let it go. We moved on to Ewers and he moved on to Nebraska. 

Done...

Edited by LTtxfan
typo
  • Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, ztejas said:

No offense but negging you out of principle.

And I mean wow - the virture signaling here - jeez. Y'all just handed helo double digit rep for simping for fucking Casey Thompson. Kid started for 5 wins at Texas and those of us doubting his character are somehow pieces of shit that don't appreciate his contribution.

Sorry for holding the football program at Texas to a higher standard. I hope I don't offend anyone by not giving a fuck about some JAG that won 5 games for us. 

Thoroughly embarrassed to be a Texas fan sometimes. 

You do exactly what you criticize others for doing, just in the opposite way. I said I appreciate what he did here and that I don’t hate him, now you mischaracterize that into anyone holding that opinion being some virtue signaling superfan or some shit. That’s disingenuous and you know it. He went out there and put his body on the line for a team I like. That’s all I know him for and all I respect him for, don’t know why idiots like you have to turn it into more than that. I’ve never met him, he was never suspended or arrested during his time here, so I’m not going to trust  @LTtxfan and his cryptic vague bullshit and call him a “bad person”. If that makes me a “simp” so be it. Go fuck yourself.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I’ve never met him, he was never suspended or arrested during his time here,

Yeah this is the fucking issue. I'd rather someone get arrested and win 11 games than go without controversy and lead us to 5 fucking wins. 

Never change, Helo. You're such a great person for having the back of a Longhorn QB that no one will give a fuck about a year from now. 

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah this is the fucking issue. I'd rather someone get arrested and win 11 games than go without controversy and lead us to 5 fucking wins. 

Never change, Helo. You're such a great person for having the back of a Longhorn QB that no one will give a fuck about a year from now. 

I hope you hate everyone that’s ever played for us since 2009 then, cause none of them have won 11 games in a year. And don’t forget which QB put us in the hole against fucking Kansas and which one accounted for 380+ yards and 7 touchdowns that game. 

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

One source close to Thompson told the Austin American-Statesman the quarterback felt there was “too much politics” involved in the quarterback race.

The dude started 10 straight games despite being pulled in the middle of multiple games where he couldn’t throw the ball 10 yards down the field. The team lost 6 straight games. God forbid his coach look to upgrade any spot on the roster he can.

The fact he (and his dad) felt the QB spot should be handed to him heading into the spring is part of the culture program that has plagued Texas football for a decade now.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

“He didn’t win 11 games so fuck that guy” - Longhorn fans in this thread 

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I hope you hate everyone that’s ever played for us since 2009 then, cause none of them have won 11 games in a year. And don’t forget which QB put us in the hole against fucking Kansas and which one accounted for 380+ yards and 7 touchdowns that game. 

It's amazing that my best response to this shit is to simply restate what I already said. Meaning - you two clearly aren't actually reading what the fuck I posted. Let me help you out: 

I'd rather someone get arrested and win 11 games than go without controversy and lead us to 5 fucking wins. 

So - please tell me - Hardy Boys - where the fuck I said "fuck everyone that never played for an 11 win team at Texas and also I hate all of those players".

Instead - you'd both be better served actually reading what the fuck I typed.

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

It's amazing that my best response to this shit is to simply restate what I already said. Meaning - you two clearly aren't actually reading what the fuck I posted. Let me help you out: 

So - please tell me - Hardy Boys - where the fuck I said "fuck everyone that never played for an 11 win team at Texas and also I hate all of those players".

Instead - you'd both be better served actually reading what the fuck I typed.

Talk about virtue signaling… I guess we just aren’t hardcore enough fans for you. Maybe if we posted the “if he dies he dies” meme after one of our own players suffered a catastrophic knee injury we’d reach your level. 

4 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I guess we just aren’t hardcore enough fans for you.

Now you're getting it! 

Also - I'm not sure you understand what virtue signaling means. Granted - I'm not sure you know what much of anything means.

Edited by ztejas

23 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Now you're getting it! 

Also - I'm not sure you understand what virtue signaling means. Granted - I'm not sure you know what much of anything means.

I’m sad that the guy that makes fun of longhorn players getting injured and posts selfies of his rose bowl polo to prove how much of a fan he is thinks I’m stupid. Take a hint from your avatar and go look in the mirror to see what a shitty fan looks like before hating on the rest of the fanbase.

I appreciate what Casey did here. He’s gone and I don’t give a shit if he wins the heisman or goes 0-12 at Nebraska. That’s the last I have to say.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I’m sad that the guy that makes fun of longhorn players getting injured and posts selfies of his rose bowl polo to prove how much of a fan he is thinks I’m stupid. Take a hint from your avatar and go look in the mirror to see what a shitty fan looks like before hating on the rest of the fanbase.

I appreciate what Casey did here. He’s gone and I don’t give a shit if he wins the heisman or goes 0-12 at Nebraska. That’s the last I have to say.

You're actually so fucking stupid that I'm just going to put you on ignore at this point and spare the board. And really - it's a shame - because I never really disliked you and gave you so many chances to improve as a poster because I encouraged your flashes of decent posting any time they came up.

But - seriously dude - the rapidity with which you've abandoned any argument you've made to pick out 2 or 3 posts that someone with over 30 fucking thousand posts here has is so fucking sad and one of the worst last ditch ad-hominem attempts I've ever seen that I'm pretty much done with ever engaging with you at this point.

So - sayonara Helo - I'm assuming that at some point it's just going to be you talking to yourself here - and I feel bad for you because I think you're probably a good person - but if you can't recognize someone that tries to give you second and third and fourth chances here from someone that you feel compelled to land on the wrong side of in the span of one night then as far as I'm concerned you can fuck off and discover yourself elsewhere. 

Actually man - pm me if you're going through some shit or need someone to talk to because I don't like putting people down for the sake of it - but at the same time never, ever fucking question my fandom or integrity or zeal when it comes to Texas football because I fucking bleed for this shit and always will and your pussy bitch-ass will never change that. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You're actually so fucking stupid that I'm just going to put you on ignore at this point and spare the board. And really - it's a shame - because I never really disliked you and gave you so many chances to improve as a poster because I encouraged your flashes of decent posting any time they came up.

But - seriously dude - the rapidity with which you've abandoned any argument you've made to pick out 2 or 3 posts that someone with over 30 fucking thousand posts here has is so fucking sad and one of the worst last ditch ad-hominem attempts I've ever seen that I'm pretty much done with ever engaging with you at this point.

So - sayonara Helo - I'm assuming that at some point it's just going to be you talking to yourself here - and I feel bad for you because I think you're probably a good person - but if you can't recognize someone that tries to give you second and third and fourth chances here from someone that you feel compelled to land on the wrong side of in the span of one night then as far as I'm concerned you can fuck off and discover yourself elsewhere. 

Actually man - pm me if you're going through some shit or need someone to talk to because I don't like putting people down for the sake of it - but at the same time never, ever fucking question my fandom or integrity or zeal when it comes to Texas football because I fucking bleed for this shit and always will and your pussy bitch-ass will never change that. 

You realize who you are arguing with, right?

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah, I've bit my tongue about all this Casey Thompson shit for a long time, but to close Casey's UT chapter out, I decided to finally share with Surly folks what I've been hearing about Casey for a couple years from folks in the Texas program that know.

I've already shared that info tonight -- now like @Js1 has asked below,  I'm done commenting about Casey's time at UT.

Done...

For fuck's sake,  state who in the program you know and exactly what they said or just STFU.

Your kind, the "anonymous internet jerkoff who claims to have inside information and sources but never reveals them", is old and worn out. Nobody with any functional intelligence these days is taking your word for it without proof. 

On 1/5/2022 at 6:19 PM, gmr548 said:

You can't use this angle to stan Casey Thompson and then ignore the fact that Herman would consistently wear Ehlinger down over the course of the year and be trotting out an obviously banged up QB by mid- and late-season. Sam Ehlinger went toe to toe with Joe Burrow and Kyler Murrary in college. Sam Ehlinger also never had Sark calling the plays, nor a home run threat like Xavier Worthy.

Casey Thompson is a plus college QB when healthy, and perfectly capable of winning games when set up for success. There's no need to deny that, but there's no need to embellish it either.

All that needs to be said.

12 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I dont get the Thompson hate here

sure, fuck his dad and all if the rumors are true… but dude was the 2nd best qb we have had in over a decade and gave it his all this year after waiting on the bench for years

jesus guys

12 hours ago, Helobious said:

Surprised the entire fanbase hates him so much just based on rumors and stuff his sooner dad said. Dude waited his turn here, played hurt behind a disaster of an o-line, never seemed to quit or be a bitch on the field. 

Above all, he’s from an entirely sooner family and chose to play for Texas, then transfer to Nebraska. That’s an A+ troll. He’s ok in my book.

These people are so quick to shit on a kid who came here, waited 3 years before getting to play, and still had to wait while our coach picks a goober who shit his pants on the Arkansas field ahead of him all before getting a chance to play. Then played well until getting his throwing hand injured and still played through that. 

MEANWHILE... the same people are suckling the cock of a kid who went to a school, took a million dollars, then bailed because he didn't start as a true freshman who skipped his final year of HS.  

I mean...

Blink 182 Reaction GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Other than Ehlinger, he had the best season by a Texas qb since Colt. Not sure if you need bifocals, but I know a guy if you do

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Other than Ehlinger, he had the best season by a Texas qb since Colt. Not sure if you need bifocals, but I know a guy if you do

I mean, who besides Sam was better than Casey in the past decade? Squints, Potato Ash, Crazy Legs McCoy, 18 Wheeler, Heard in that one game, Buchele?  The list of QBs better than Casey and Sam since 2010 is bad. Real bad. So who was 2nd best??

16 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Other than Ehlinger, he had the best season by a Texas qb since Colt.

I’d argue David Ash had a better season in 2012.

2,699 yards, 67.3% 19 TD, 8 INT, 9-4 record.

And that 2012 team also had a horrendously shitty defense and Casey had a much better group of RB.

I say all this and I’m not a Casey hater. 

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 6

I’ll be interested to see how he does in Big 10 weather in November.  The two games he played in last year that were like that didn’t go so good. Yeah yeah yeah thumb injury.

Kenny Pickett thrived in Whipple’s offense because it needs a QB who can make reads from the pocket and then drive the ball, similar to what a QB in Sarkisian’s offense has to do.  Casey did well when he had time to wind up and throw.  He’s not going to stand in and make throws in a collapsing pocket like Pickett could however.   Or at least he had trouble with that here. 

17 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I mean, who besides Sam was better than Casey in the past decade? Squints, Potato Ash, Crazy Legs McCoy, 18 Wheeler, Heard in that one game, Buchele?  The list of QBs better than Casey and Sam since 2010 is bad. Real bad. So who was 2nd best??

And that's been the problem. Our QB room has been abysmal since 2009.

19 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I’d argue David Ash had a better season in 2012.

2,699 yards, 67.3% 19 TD, 8 INT, 9-4 record.

And that 2012 team also had a horrendously shitty defense and Casey had a much better group of RB.

I say all this and I’m not a Casey hater. 

And that’s as a true sophomore compared to a redshirt senior. People seriously underrate Ash.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, OU Sucks said:

Oh, FFS.  Unless you people name your mysterious sources...

Right. People's loyalties should always lie with anonymous message board nincompoops and not with their friends and family who tell them things in confidence and who would be embarrassed or suffer professionally if someone betrayed that confidence.

Get over yourself. 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Every year, rinse and repeat.

we better without player X. Addition by subtraction. Just watch. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2