Ryan Adams News

hullabelew

Bummer.  I thought that if Ryan had just taken a break and stopped touring with the big band he could continued to song write and start doing little venues where it was just him a guitar and a harmonica he would have been okay. 

Could have aged gracefully and had a long ass career.  Maybe he will after he does his long penance.

The song she does called Motion Sickness is about her time with Ryan Adams. Apparently when she performs it live, she always intros it as a song about him and how he's a dick to women. So it's like she's been keeping her feelings a secret. The new album with her and Oberst is getting a lot of buzz. 

Think I stumbled across this the other day on XMU. If it’s what I think, it was good. Actually, I think the song I heard was “Dylan Thomas.”

15 hours ago, mdmost said:

A very interesting podcast with the NY Times reporters who sourced and reported on the story. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/18/arts/music/popcast-ryan-adams.html

Thanks, good listen.

Also listened to Mandy Moore WTF interview.  She is a sweetie, and I feel bad, but she did seem like someone who it would be easy to be cruel to.  I don't really think that is what I was supposed to get out of the interview, but it's what I kept thinking.  She strikes me as the type of person who requires an uncommonly decent spouse. 

The song she does called Motion Sickness is about her time with Ryan Adams. Apparently when she performs it live, she always intros it as a song about him and how he's a dick to women. So it's like she's been keeping her feelings a secret. The new album with her and Oberst is getting a lot of buzz. 

Better Oblivion Community Center is the name of their duo project. Been listening this morning — it’s damn good.

6 hours ago, tantric superman said:

Thanks, good listen.

Also listened to Mandy Moore WTF interview.  She is a sweetie, and I feel bad, but she did seem like someone who it would be easy to be cruel to.  I don't really think that is what I was supposed to get out of the interview, but it's what I kept thinking.  She strikes me as the type of person who requires an uncommonly decent spouse. 

I was not, and am not, that familiar with her music or acting, but I enjoyed that interview.  She did seem like a nice and thoughtful person, in some sense, but like many women, she has terrible taste in men.  

30 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

What's the floor age, just for reference?

You make a good point. I'm having trouble coming up with a non-creepy way to ask somebody to touch their own nipple, although I may text it to my wife for experimental purposes. Nonetheless, asking a 14 year old do it really takes it to the next level. He was probably somewhere in the 7-8 range (out of 10 on the creep meter) with the original comment, but in the context of her being extremely underage and throw in the whole, 'your mom is going to kill me' bit, I think it moves it to about a 47. 

Also, I was/am a huge Whiskeytown fan. I saw them at the Whiskey in LA in what had to be the late 1990s, and he was just such a tremendous dickhead that I vowed never to go see him live again. My original impression was that he was an awful human being and as if we didn't need any more evidence...

Yeah, to me this is a big deal because the guy is just a terrific song writer.  When i last saw him, I really didn't enjoy any of the big songs, and always think he's best when just doing guitar and voice and keeping it quiet.

I thought to myself -- this guy is going to be really good when he only has die hard fans and he does small concerts in tiny venues. 

Given what appears to be his inability to be around people, he probably should have switched to that model some time ago.

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

You make a good point. I'm having trouble coming up with a non-creepy way to ask somebody to touch their own nipple, although I may text it to my wife for experimental purposes. Nonetheless, asking a 14 year old do it really takes it to the next level. He was probably somewhere in the 7-8 range (out of 10 on the creep meter) with the original comment, but in the context of her being extremely underage and throw in the whole, 'your mom is going to kill me' bit, I think it moves it to about a 47. 

Also, I was/am a huge Whiskeytown fan. I saw them at the Whiskey in LA in what had to be the late 1990s, and he was just such a tremendous dickhead that I vowed never to go see him live again. My original impression was that he was an awful human being and as if we didn't need any more evidence...

I saw them at Liberty Lunch in Austin and came away with the same impression. Fantastic live songs, but the between song banter was cringy. 

I’ve seen him maybe 7 times but I got into RA about 1-2 years before he got sober. From what I’ve heard, every time the guy was drunk (which was at every show), he acted like a teenager who’d slammed his first couple of beers. My friend saw him in Prague circa 2001 or 2002 and he was so hammered and unfunny.

Part of his prison sentence should be forcing him to watch videos of himself from that era.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Emmylou Harris cut bait with him after the Gram Parsons' Tribute album.  She was trying to help him get his shit together and keep him from doing what happened to Gram, but she apparently had enough.  And she put up with Steve Earle and all of the shit that entailed in the early 90's.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/26/2019 at 6:06 PM, Grandioso said:

I’ve seen him maybe 7 times but I got into RA about 1-2 years before he got sober. From what I’ve heard, every time the guy was drunk (which was at every show), he acted like a teenager who’d slammed his first couple of beers. My friend saw him in Prague circa 2001 or 2002 and he was so hammered and unfunny.

Part of his prison sentence should be forcing him to watch videos of himself from that era.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think he really got any different when he quit drinking.  He just went from being hammered and unfunny to being stoned and unfunny.  I think you can only blame booze and drugs for so long.

I've never caught him live, but I'm a huge Whiskeytown fan and love a decent percentage of his solo work.  I'll still listen to those albums, because as I said previously, I knew he was a shit person a long time ago.  These revelations are worse, but if I didn't draw the line then, I don't see a reason to draw it now in terms of enjoying the art for itself.  I probably won't buy any of his records, but I haven't done that since maybe Cardinology.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 2

On 2/18/2019 at 10:48 AM, oSuJeff97 said:

Honestly, I think the very fact that everyone is like, "yeah it's not surprising that a guy in the music industry, who is fucked up on booze and drugs all the time, used his power and influence to get in the pants of young girls," is sort of the point of the story.

The whole thing is that people shouldn't be surprised about this behavior because it shouldn't be allowed, expected or tolerated.

The problem with this is who is supposed to hold him accountable?  He doesn't have a boss who can fire him, like a normal job.  I suppose his record company could terminate his contract, but that would be legally messy and and costly for them. 

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

The problem with this is who is supposed to hold him accountable?  He doesn't have a boss who can fire him, like a normal job.  I suppose his record company could terminate his contract, but that would be legally messy and and costly for them. 

I mean... I don't think it's up to our employers to ensure that we don't act like a complete garbage human is it?

Anyway, my point wasn't about who would hold him (or someone like him) accountable... my point was that people weren't that surprised about the behavior (because of its prevalence in the industry) and that was the point.  The very fact that it's been accepted/enabled for so long is the problem.

Articles like the one that started this post putting a spotlight on the behavior is a good thing, IMO.  The article and the public reaction to it are what will hold people like him accountable in the future.

42 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I mean... I don't think it's up to our employers to ensure that we don't act like a complete garbage human is it?

Anyway, my point wasn't about who would hold him (or someone like him) accountable... my point was that people weren't that surprised about the behavior (because of its prevalence in the industry) and that was the point.  The very fact that it's been accepted/enabled for so long is the problem.

Articles like the one that started this post putting a spotlight on the behavior is a good thing, IMO.  The article and the public reaction to it are what will hold people like him accountable in the future.

I completely agree with you, but what I'm saying is that the reason it's so prevalent in that industry is that there's no one "required" to hold him/others accountable.  If you or I did that kind of shit, we'd get fired.  I'd like to think I wouldn't sexually harass my hawt 21-yo female students regardless, but it's naive to deny that the threat of getting fired is a very large reason why I've never done so. 

6 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

He owns his own label. Like Harvey Weinstein, he's the producer/money behind the whole operation.

On 2/28/2019 at 5:13 PM, Scooter Monzingo said:

I find it interesting that some people still don’t understand that you probably shouldn’t leave a trail of evidence that Stevie Wonder could follow when you are doing stupid shit.

But Stevie Wonder ain’t got no eyesight, Lieutenant Dan.

• 1 year later...

new release is depressing as hell and not very good.   nearly ruined last friday night when we listened to it on the big speakers.  I'm pretty sure my girlfriend and I started liking each other on a weekend conference where we shared a room and chilled out to Ryan Adams from 2am until 6am every morning.  neither of us could sleep.  me my divorce, her insomnia.  I like his older stuff, easy to tell he's a total waste of a human, a lot of times the talented ones are.  sucks about the underage stuff, I didn't know that.  never considered him a role model.  if he landed in jail so be it.  justice matters. I'd still listen to the music of his that I like. But I guess I don't feel like he owns it emotionally, I do.  He wasn't there when I was leaning on his lyrics, only I was.  so whatever.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...