$9.95 worth every penny

futureman

29 minutes ago, someguy said:

if you consider how many 4 and 5 star recruits there are compared to 3 star recruits, then yes, the numbers back what he is saying.

Yup. The fact that almost 50% of the players being 4-5 stars in this Super Bowl is stunning considering what a small population of recruits they represent and  are overwhelmingly outnumbered by the players who are not 4-5 star players. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Hmmm…, well @SydneyCartonsays we have a deal so fuck Brian I guess.

When they voluntarily offer information on shifty decisions, I take them at their word. 

https://www.si.com/college/texas/.amp/news/texas-and-texas-tech-agree-to-annual-non-conference-matchup-post-longhorns-sec-exit

11 hours ago, Sejjr said:

Agree. We just gave them an annual “super bowl” game. Fuck those cunts. 

So our schedule will be:  A&M, Oklahoma and Arkansas 

plus one of

Alabama or Georgia,
Auburn or Florida
Kentucky or Missouri,
LSU or Tennessee
Miss State or Ole Miss
Carolina or Vandy

AND TEXAS TECH?

Make it to the playoffs out of that schedule and nobody can question if you're legit. Holy crap!

https://theathletic.com/3141194/2022/02/22/accuracy-touch-pocket-recognition-how-to-watch-recruiting-film-like-a-college-football-scout/

Spoiler

Recruiting is an inexact science. Sure, it’s fairly easy to watch a five-star prospect’s highlight tape and recognize the attributes that garnered the prestigious ranking, but there are approximately only 30-to-35 such prospects in a given year. The range between high-end four-star prospects and lower-rated ones is wide, and there are three-star prospects who develop into high-profile players all the time.

The college football world completed the 2022 recruiting cycle earlier this month. In a week, the dead period will end, and a few weeks after that, assistant coaches will hit the road to scout recruits in person.

While fan bases begin to shift their attention to the 2023 recruiting cycle, most coaches moved on to evaluating those prospects months ago. So as fans fire up the Hudl highlight videos and YouTube clips and begin scouting their respective programs’ potential targets, The Athletic interviewed nearly two dozen coaches from across the country to gain insight into one trick of the trade that’ll make any amateur a better evaluator: how to watch film like a recruiter.

So let’s get started with the sport’s most important position …

Quarterback
Houston offensive coordinator Shannon Dawson, the first to offer Mac Jones and one of the first major believers in Stetson Bennett: I think people mess up recruiting quarterbacks because they get infatuated with their athletic ability or physically how they look. I’m always gonna evaluate film first and then narrow it down, but what pushes the needle for me is if their release and throwing motion is not natural, then I’m Xing them off. …

Maybe I’m different because I’ve always coached in a throw-first offense, but I strictly want to see his release and his accuracy. Every QB coach will probably lie to you and say they can make a guy a lot more accurate. I don’t think you can improve it that much.

A Power 5 offensive coordinator with two former QBs who could be drafted in April: The No. 1 priority for me is accuracy. A really, really low arm slot is not a great thing because it creates problems with regard to releasing the ball but … how they throw the ball to me doesn’t matter anywhere near as much as how accurate they are. I want a compact quarterback who can get rid of the ball quickly. I don’t like long-arm action quarterbacks, and there are a lot of those.

Both coaches mentioned character and leadership skills as something they account for, but neither mentioned measurables. Hand size and arm strength were among the other traits they emphasized.

As for the best quarterback film they’ve seen recently?

“Arch Manning is special. Screw the name,” the P5 OC said. “He’s going to know football and he’s going to be raised the right way and he’s going to be coached up because of his bloodline, but the kid is really talented.”

The first thing that TCU head coach Sonny Dykes, who coached Jared Goff and Nick Foles (among others), notices when he turns on the tape of a QB is his ability to execute under duress. If he can do that, Dykes is intrigued.

Next on his checklist: “Accuracy, touch and pocket recognition and movement (are) very important and ability to get the ball out on time and anticipate throws.”

What isn’t as crucial? “Arm strength is not as important,” he says.

Running backs
Notre Dame running backs coach Deland McCullough, who coached Ronald Jones and Tevin Coleman: I’m gonna look at their best games and then statistically their worst games. I want to see, how do they deal with adversity? What is his body language like? When it’s not going his team’s way or his way, does he run out of bounds? Did he check out in the middle of the third quarter? I’m interested in seeing when the game ain’t going well, when it’s not going right for them, because a lot of times it won’t, how does he respond?

His highlight tape will show his ability to break tackles and his open-field elusiveness. His game tapes will tell you more of the story.

After that, I want to see his body lean — is he running upright? Does he reduce surfaces and getting behind your pads? Is he finishing runs; I need 1 yard, and will he get dirty and get behind his pads and just run through a dude? You can be tough with finesse. I’ll take a guy with more toughness than finesse because I know the strain of the game.

Marshall head coach Charles Huff, who coached Najee Harris and Saquon Barkley: The first thing I’m looking for is his hip flexibility. The worst thing is to have a big, stiff guy. In today’s game, you can’t block everybody. So can he bend his hips laterally and horizontally? I think there are two things you can’t really improve: stiff hips and speed. If he doesn’t have those things, if a play’s blocked well, the guy’s getting you 6 and 7 yards instead of breaking them for 15 or 20 or a lot more.

A Mountain West running backs coach: (The hardest thing to evaluate on film is): Do they like blocking? I got a big ol’ sign on my wall: “No block, no rock.” They know that from Day 1. You’ve got to get them prepared to protect Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers. … If you can’t protect them, you won’t be playing. And in high school, it’s not something you do a lot of and you can’t cut block, but in college you can.

Receiver
Ohio State receivers coach Brian Hartline, who coaches arguably most talented receiver group in the country: I’ll get really nervous when I don’t see fast guys playing fast on film. … If I can’t see that on the film, it makes me nervous because the more I tell you, and the more pre-snap plan and post-snap execution that we do, and if you can’t really mentally calculate that and apply it, it’s gonna make it hard for you to play fast.

If you play at your max capacity, I’m really, really excited. You’re a 16- or 17-year-old-kid. (Buckeyes strength coach) Mick Marotti is going to turn you into a Greek god, and I’m gonna teach you how to play football, and you’re gonna maximize whatever you’re capable of as you get faster and stronger because you’re already maximizing your skill set. I love seeing that.

Most impressive receiver film Hartline has seen in a while?

Jaxon Smith-Njigba. His production was off the charts and he was doing it against really tough competition in Texas, and it was his sudden-ness, explosiveness, and his ball skills were off the chart, and the way he would seamlessly run through a catch point, pluck the ball and transition to YAC. It was like a long handoff. That was different. His receiver coach did a really good job with him.

An SEC receivers coach who has produced at least three NFL Draft picks at receiver: It’s a highlight film for a reason. They’re making plays, they’re making contested catches, they’re running away from defenders, they’re doing everything. … (But) can they defeat press coverage? A good high school player can run against free access and run a route. But what are you going to do when a corner is in your face and trying to disrupt you at the point of attack? That’s really the first thing I try to look at when evaluating a guy in the SEC. … That’s the biggest factor, I think, in terms of getting on the field early for an SEC receiver, because you’re not going to get free access.

Tight ends
Georgia Tech offensive coordinator/TEs coach Chip Long, who coached Cole Kmet and recruited Michael Mayer and Tommy Tremble at Notre Dame: I’ve gotten to the point where if he’s a tight end, I want to see him play defense. He has to have a sense of physicality and some innate toughness, and see if he’s getting off blocks. … Physicality is the first thing I want to see and it’ll be the first thing that’ll make me move on too.

It’s the tall receiver/flex guy that you can miss a lot on, in my opinion, if he’s not an elite, elite guy. It’s hard these days to just take a big receiver; kids just don’t grow up playing backyard tackle football anymore. It’s not just a natural thing, and if you don’t have that in you, it’s gonna be hard for you to develop. It’s a physical position and we ask you to do a lot.

The second thing I want to see is his explosion and how fast can he move and does he have good ball skills? Then, I can teach him the rest.

Offensive line
Northern Iowa head coach Mark Farley, who helped develop unranked recruits Spencer Brown into a third-round pick last year and Trevor Penning into a projected first-round pick this April: At the I-AA level, I’m not getting the 6-foot-7, 285- or 300-pound guy. So I start looking in the paper and I’m looking for 6-foot-6 plus. If I see that, now I look at the weight. Then, I put the film on and I’m looking at the frame: How big are his shoulders? How wide is his butt? Honestly, it’s hard to see some of that from some of the film, but before they even hike the ball, there are things I’m looking for, like how does he look in a 3-point stance? Can he get in a flexible athletically looking stance where he’s not humped over or his knees are out or in and buckled?

I want to see on the film, can he bend? And can he roll his hips? It’s like looking for the old-school nutcracker drill; where he’s got a one-on-one block, where there’s the immediate collision, and then can he roll his hips through where he starts to lift the player. That shows if he’ll have the ability to power clean (in the weight room). It’s a coordination thing, but it’s also a flexibility thing because guys’ hip flexors get tight. It’s hard to find that on film now. You might have to find short-yard plays or goal-line situations where you’re watching can he roll that belt line — if his butt stays back that’s a bad sign.

A Pac-12 offensive line coach who has produced several NFL Draft picks: I’ll look at his athletic ability. Is he tough and competitive? Does he have ankle flexion and lower-body flexibility? What’s his initial quickness like? What’s his foot turnover speed like? Does he get on a block, get knocked off and get back on it? Change of direction? Does he play to power and strength? Sets on anchor and pass. Those are the things I look for.

As far as measurables go, the Pac-12 offensive line coach has set benchmarks for each position.

For a center, you look for a guy who’s 6-foot-2, 6-foot-3, 280 pounds, hand size 9 inches, 31 ½-inch arm length. Guards are 6-foot-3 to 6-foot-4, weigh 290, hand size 8-½ inches, arm length 32 inches. Tackle, 6-foot-5-plus, weighs 260 because you’re going to be leaner in high school, hand size 9 inches and arm length 33 inches.

Defensive line
Pittsburgh defensive line coach Charlie Partridge, who has coached or recruited NFL standouts J.J. Watt and Trey Flowers, or recent draft picks Patrick Jones II and Rashad Weaver: When I turn on the tape, I’m looking for a fit within the system because what I recruited to Wisconsin is not the same as what I look for at Pitt. We were more gap control at Wisconsin, so I was looking for a guy who really has the potential for size and strength. Here, the first thing is from the inside guys it’s about twitch and change of direction.

We took Calijah Kancey (a three-star from Miami Northwestern High School listed by Pitt at 6 feet, 275 pounds). Some guys thought he was undersized. I don’t care. He’s about 281, 284, and that’s plenty big enough. He has incredible movement skills and is so dynamic. He was probably 255 when I recruited him. He’s just so explosive, his get-off and his ability to bend and turn a corner is special. He was really hard for everyone (who played him in high school) to deal with.

Kancey made first-team All-ACC as a sophomore, leading Pitt with 13 TFLs and also had seven sacks. He is in the mold of another former short, explosive Panther defensive lineman, Aaron Donald, who has made a lot of D-line coaches reconsider what they’re looking for up front.

Aaron Donald is dangerous because he can do some things that 99.99 percent of humans just can’t do. He made it OK for a defensive coordinator to take what was then — and I’m only talking about probably five years ago — that was considered a risk, from a size standpoint, and now so many more defensive tackles are in that 280s range because they’re affecting the passer from the middle and generating pressure and that also makes the ends better.

For defensive ends: Partridge is also looking for elite change-of-direction skills and explosiveness but also more for length. Intelligence is also a premium.

Of all the RPOs we’re dealing with now, there’s a lot of processing that goes on. I’m gonna lean toward intelligence because of all the different responses we ask those guys to manage. We put a lot of stress on those guys.

It’s hard to see that on film; sometimes it’s instinctual. Take a zone read; some kids are just gonna tackle the dive. Are they handling both the cutback and the QB keep? Does he know when to fall back? You’re looking to see how instinctual and how much awareness they have? Also through conversations as you’re talking to these kids, you teach them something then asking them to teach it back to you. What can they retain and how much can they retain? When you’ve taught them 3-4-5 things they’ve never learned and then they can teach it back to you, I love that.

Partridge has learned from the players he’s coached and realized what made a few of them so special, and that gave him more of an awareness of why he needed to put a premium on some intangibles. He arrived at Wisconsin just as Watt had transferred in as a walk-on. The NFL superstar back then hadn’t played much D-line at all. He was very stern and serious and he engaged his new coach in studying the film. Watt was sitting out that season as a transfer and was a scout team D-lineman giving a Badgers offensive line loaded with NFL talent fits every day.

“He was wearing them out,” Partridge says. Watt’s relentless quest to get everything out of his ability also was wearing out his coach to some degree. At 10 p.m. long after practice was over and the coaches had met, Watt was waiting for Partridge to watch his scout team reps on film to study with the coach. There were nights later in the fall of a long season where Partridge might not have the energy to do it — “Coach, we have to watch it. Please,” Watt would ask.

So they always would watch it. He’d never miss one, pouring over every minute detail of honing his craft — how to step, where to place his hands, where his eyes need to be in every situation.

“Nobody does that,” Partridge thought. “He’s gonna squeeze everything out of it that he can. He didn’t waste a single second. He made me better.”

That determination that helped Watt become a three-time NFL MVP helped shape what Partridge is looking for when it comes to the work ethic type of questions, he says, “because if you have two guys on the board, you’re looking for ways to tip the board. How many distractions is he gonna be dealing with? Is his family gonna be supportive of him or pull him down, because you see both. Does he love the game or does he love being recruited? Is he more interested in posting his workouts or truly developing?”

Linebackers
FIU head coach Mike MacIntyre, a former assistant who found Patrick Willis for Ole Miss in Tennessee, later ranked as the nation’s No. 53 inside linebacker and didn’t even have an offer from the home-state Volunteers: The first thing I’m trying to see is their athletic ability and their vision. From an athleticism standpoint, I’m trying to determine: Is he athletic enough to tackle the tailback in space? That’s more important in today’s game than when I first started. And part of that determination is, have they ever played running back in their life, because they’re usually the guys who see the hole, but do they also have really good change of direction, quickness and the ability to stay low and can get off a block? There’s fast guys who can’t tackle a guy in space because they’re too stiff.

When it comes to vision, I’m looking to get a feel for, can he see the guard and the running back at the same time? Can he see pullers? Does he see the angle that the running back is taking, so he can be at the proper angle? A lot of them can see the RBs shoulders, and think he can only cut one way. They have to be able to stay on the backside hip of the running back. A lot of guys, they wait till the play’s already happened and they can’t get there because the backside guard is already on him.

An ACC linebackers coach on the differences in evaluating for inside vs. outside LBs: When you play in the box, it’s a totally different ballgame. A lot more information, a lot more processing, you’ve got to be a little more instinctual. When you’re an outside linebacker, you’re kind of evaluating a defensive end. So you’re really evaluating a defensive lineman, a defensive end. Can he get to the passer? Can he rush? Does he have violent, strong hands? Can he get off blocks? Does he have a good first step? So you evaluate a defensive end, the only difference is you’d like to see them play in space just a little bit. If you don’t see them play in space, you can see if his skill set translates by getting them on campus, getting them in camp.

On how linebacker evaluations have changed as offenses have evolved:

The ones I recruit now I call reject safeties. Guys who played safety, got too big and moved down. … You’ve got to be athletic, you’ve got to be fluid, you’ve got to have instincts, you’ve got to be able to play in space. They’ve got to be able to cover slot receivers, tight ends, running backs, but now you’ve got to be able to blitz, rush the passer. You’ve got to be a complete football player. The difference is you’re not looking for the 235-pound linebacker already in high school. Those guys are going to outgrow the position. You’re looking for guys who weigh between 210-220 pounds, 205, 215 because you know you’re going to put 10, 15 pounds on them when they get in school, but they’re athletes. … The game’s changed. I promise you, if an offensive coordinator decides, ‘You know something, we’re going to get in the I-formation, we’re going to run it down your damn throat all game and play-action off of that,’ they’ll probably be a new wave and they’ll wear defenses out. A lot of defenses aren’t built to stop that type of offense anymore.

Defensive backs
Utah defensive coordinator Morgan Scalley: Oftentimes, it’s not a DB we’re looking at when we’re trying to recruit a defensive back, it’s a wide receiver. The offensive side of the ball is where the athletes usually are. The key for us is trusting our evaluation and our ability to develop. Wide receivers and DBs all have to have great hips. Ultimately, you’re trying to find out how fluid they are. You’re looking at when they’re making their cuts; can they plant and redirect without taking a million steps? Are they just rigid?

For us, speed cannot be a question because we play so much man coverage, so we need to be sure of his speed, whether it’s a 40-time, hopefully a laser time on a track, but you also gotta have great hips and have to exert some physicality. To try and figure that part out, I’ll watch some blocking clips.

Louisville defensive coordinator Bryan Brown: I’m looking for speed. Can he run? He may not technically be playing DB; maybe he’s a running back or receiver, but I want to see his movement skills. How does he move in and out of his cuts?

I recruited a 5-foot-9 kid out of Alabama when I was at App State named Tae Hayes. All he had played was running back, but I saw how he moved in and out of cuts and how well he was catching the ball out of the backfield. Plus you saw the physicality of him taking on tacklers. That showed me something too. I want to see if they are seeking out contact or is he trying to avoid it? I knew he was not afraid of tackling. He made all-conference twice and is still playing in the NFL.

Louisiana defensive coordinator/safeties coach LaMar Morgan: For me, it starts with, can he really run? Does he have speed and make-up speed? Is there any verified speed times on him? If he can do that, you can teach him a lot of different things. But I think the best corners are guys who don’t play corner in high school. I think it’s a projection position. They’re playing offense. They’re playing other sports. … Most people are looking for that 6-2, lanky corner, but most of those guys are gonna be too long-hipped, looking like giraffes and can’t transition. There just aren’t that many of those guys out there that can really transition and have that sudden-ness you need to handle the position and do all the things you need them to do technique-wise. Or maybe those can run but they’re ‘a build-up speed’ guy, and then you worry the receivers are gonna double-move you. You have to be able to start and stop. Those (few) really long guys who can transition end up at Alabama, LSU and Georgia. There’s only so many Patrick Petersons and Jalen Ramseys out there. I do think you can get the 5-10 1/2 or 5-11 guys who can do it.

For safeties, it’s good to see if he’s played safety because you ask those guys to do a lot of things, so you have to be careful on what you assume. He has to run, hit, tackle and be smart. People sometimes think they have a long corner who really can’t play corner so they move him inside, but what if he can’t hit and he’s not physical? You just end up with a big pretty-looking guy who can’t play. When I was at Vanderbilt, we offered Trace McSorley, and if he didn’t play quarterback, he was gonna play safety. He’s really tough and smart and runs well. He would’ve been a hell of a safety.

Nice JSN mention in here that should get Herman kicked in the balls

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 6:54 PM, CooterBrown said:

You do realize that Apple is tracking what you do in every app on your iPhone and selling it?

Everyone from Amazon to Zulilly knows about your midget scat addiction and will give you ads accordingly.

Well that certainly explains why I keep getting bukkake ads