San Antonio for Spring Break

Macanudo

Yes, I realize there are several other San Antonio threads.   I don't care.

Due to unforeseen circumstances, a real Spring Break trip is out and I'm faced with finding something fun to do with the Macanudo-ettes within driving distance of Houston.   As much as I loathe amusement parks San Antonio has Six Flags and they'll enjoy it.  I'm sure they sell beer somewhere in the park.   Plus we can do the obligatory Riverwalk lunch/dinner, Alamo visit and assorted other things in the area.   My kids have actually expressed interest in seeing some of the other missions and I can get us onto Lackland AFB to see the static aircraft on display.  They love history so that's an easy sell. 

I haven't been there since 2011 and haven't stayed the night since 2003.   Obviously, staying on the Riverwalk is an option but the places worth staying at are bending people over and double penetrating them.   We used to stay at the Sheraton Gunter and I'm seriously considering bucking up and paying what they want because it's a very nice place (albeit a slight walk compared to some other places.)   I love the Menger but the last time I was there it looked very rundown. 

What are the areas on the N/NW side like out by Seaworld, the Med Center or near Six Flags proper?   I'm not adverse to a Courtyard or Residence Inn type place (prefer Marriott properties).   I'm more worried about ending up in a shitty location with the possibility of my car is missing from the parking lot the next morning.   Proximity to decent dining options is preferred but not needed.   We can drive if we have to.  I just don't want to end up someplace that isn't a decent neighborhood. 

Thoughts?

24 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

What are the areas on the N/NW side like out by Seaworld, the Med Center or near Six Flags proper?   I'm not adverse to a Courtyard or Residence Inn type place (prefer Marriott properties).   I'm more worried about ending up in a shitty location with the possibility of my car is missing from the parking lot the next morning.   Proximity to decent dining options is preferred but not needed.   We can drive if we have to.  I just don't want to end up someplace that isn't a decent neighborhood. 

Anything by La Cantera all the way down to Bandera on 1604 if fine.. There is probably 100 hotels at all stars and price points.  Just stay away from Stone Oak that's where all the trouble is

Hyatt Hill Country is very close to Sea World, and it has easy access to highways.

How rich are you?  La Cantera resort is close to Fiesta Texas and La Cantera shopping/restaurants.  They will bend you over and penetrate you, but they have nice pools, and will give you a reacharound.

Along 1604 in between the parks, there are some good hotels near UTSA.  It's all pretty decent as far as being good neighborhoods.  Plenty of good food options.  I'm sure your kids don't give a shit about the hot new trendy places in town anyway.

I'm staying at the Best Westen+ at 1604 and 281 for work. Nice single room with living room for $50 + tax. Very clean, full breakfast.  It's a little further from 6 Flags but it's a really good deal.

One reason for the good rates is that the road construction we're doing has really hurt business.

2 hours ago, housious said:

All of the trouble is in Stone Oak? Things must have changed quite a bit in the last decade. 

But yeah, I’d look at staying at the La Cantera area. There are some nice hotels downtown and near the pearl but you’ll have to pay for them.

Violence there has gotten... not good. Someone I knew from high school was shot and killed on the northeast side a few years back. A lot of drugs coming in and out 

Hyatt Hill Country is probably your best bet.   Plenty of dining options close by if you need to be more budget conscious considering most resort style hotels bend you over on food prices. If you have a family of five like I do,   your  daily food bill can get close to your per night rate for the room.   I'm glad we only travel most of the time with three now thanks to one being away at college and the other just not wanting to go with us at times.  

Plus they have a nice "real" spa..   To the best of my knowledge, Robert Kraft is not a client there.    

Going to piggyback off this thread as we're going down as well but staying on the river. I know most of the Tex-Mex down around the river isn't great but what's the least terrible? What's the better Tex-Mex in the city? We're doing a day of checking out the missions so we have no issues driving to a good place. Taco Haven on S Presa is on the list for breakfast tacos. Any other good breakfast taco options?

ton of hotels around 1604 / bandera (16). safe but busy shopping hub, lot of eating options (local and chain). about 10 mins south from la cantera / fiesta. one of my favorite things to do is to go eat dinner at la cantera, then walk around the shops.

i play golf at the hyatt hill country resort and that place is nice. ive heard from friends - lot of in resort options for kids and was told most are included with your room. i always see families that seem to be having a good time. they have a mini water park / pool on site. 

missions / best tex mex - go to san jose mission park off Roosevelt and then time it for lunch at Nicha's (almost right across the street). best tex mex ive found in SA (authentic South SA tex mex spot). lunch is booming there, lot of base people. i suggest either get there at 11am or wait until 1pm. Also,  im pretty sure there's a biking trail that connects downtown SA to san jose mission. like any place, don't leave valuables in plain sight in your car. 

also, ive never had a bad meal or experience with anything the pearl brewery complex 

Edited by tx 3 putt

13 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Going to piggyback off this thread as we're going down as well but staying on the river. I know most of the Tex-Mex down around the river isn't great but what's the least terrible? What's the better Tex-Mex in the city? We're doing a day of checking out the missions so we have no issues driving to a good place. Taco Haven on S Presa is on the list for breakfast tacos. Any other good breakfast taco options?

ive yet to find tex mex close to downtown worth a flip, but im not as knowledged as locals

ive been to feast and bliss, really liked both. south of downtown. look up their menu. do not go to liberty bar. id also suggest the pearl brewery area, lot of options 

45 minutes ago, mdmost said:

A bit on the higher end as far as mexican food is concerned, but I've always liked El Mirasol and La Fonda on main.

If I had kids and I do I would stay right behind Bobs chop house there are three hotels. Hilton Garden Inn, Residence by Marriott, and Courtyard  I forget which 3.  You can walk to 54th street for food. Yes its bar food but when I travel with my 12 and 9 a place with TVs and drinks and chicken tenders/burgers is perfect.   Or you can walk about 10 mins to the other Rim restaurants and movies.  They have a hop daddy or whatever, the Rustic, Lion and the Rose, Stone Werks is a tad further...or a 2 min drive.

By Bass Pro there is a Red Robin, BJ's, Magianos.

A bit further into the RIM are a bunch of fast food places.  Mcd,  Whataburger, Wich wich,  Chicfila, Popeyes

Edited by midtown

22 hours ago, Macanudo said:

We used to stay at the Sheraton Gunter and I'm seriously considering bucking up and paying what they want because it's a very nice place (albeit a slight walk compared to some other places.)

I don't know what the Gunter is trying to charge you, but it is not worth "bucking up" anything.  I frequent SA for work, and that is the team's last resort when staying downtown.  Dated rooms, dirty bathrooms, restaurant always dead.  Doubletree Emily Morgan, Hyatt Regency, Westin, and Hilton Palacio Del Rio are all better for similar prices (depending on dates).

Agree with the La Cantera recs.  If you are interested in something in between those areas the Omni at the Collonade is not a bad hotel.  Helpful hint I've heard, if you call and tell them you work for the large insurance company across the freeway you might get a nice rate.

If looking for budget near downtown, the Hyatt Place isn't that bad.  You're close to Southtown, which is a cool area.  Maverick and Battalion are great dinner spots.

Unless you want to spend multiple days at Fiesta Texas, I would suck it up and stay on or near the Riverwalk.  There is always something to see or do within walking distance, and if you stay elsewhere, you are going to spend more of your spring break watching your kids play video games in your room, supervising them at the hotel pool, driving in search of fun shit, while being nagged constantly to go to Fiesta Texas every day of your trip.

Don't see one or two of the other missions, see them all.  Take a water taxi to the Pearl, and walk the short distance to the Witte museum and SA zoo.  Say what you will about the Menger, but what kid wouldn't want to stay in a haunted hotel across the street from the Alamo?  

I would rather stay closer to all the action and do a day trip or two to Fiesta Texas and/or Sea World, but maybe that's just me.  If you stay near Fiesta Texas, the chances of you getting out of town after spending only one day there are zero.  Is that worth any hotel savings?   

3 hours ago, Spoosner said:

I don't know what the Gunter is trying to charge you, but it is not worth "bucking up" anything.  I frequent SA for work, and that is the team's last resort when staying downtown.  Dated rooms, dirty bathrooms, restaurant always dead.  Doubletree Emily Morgan, Hyatt Regency, Westin, and Hilton Palacio Del Rio are all better for similar prices (depending on dates).

Agree with the La Cantera recs.  If you are interested in something in between those areas the Omni at the Collonade is not a bad hotel.  Helpful hint I've heard, if you call and tell them you work for the large insurance company across the freeway you might get a nice rate.

If looking for budget near downtown, the Hyatt Place isn't that bad.  You're close to Southtown, which is a cool area.  Maverick and Battalion are great dinner spots.

Disagree about the Gunter. Never had anything but a positive experience there. We have raised some hell in the 414, also. 

20 hours ago, mdmost said:

Tex-Mex downtown:

Mexican Manhattan, The Original Blanco Cafe, and Rosario’s. 

• Like 1

Stay away from Sea World at Spring Break.  We tried to go last year and it was one of the most miserable experiences of my life.  We were there for 3 hours and rode 1 ride due to unbelievably long lines.  We had my son and one of his cousins with us and they just wanted to leave.

4 minutes ago, After irth said:

Tex-Mex downtown:

Mexican Manhattan, The Original Blanco Cafe, and Rosario’s

Excellent. The first two are not too far from where we're staying. We've done Rosario's before and I remember it being pretty good.

On 2/27/2019 at 8:22 PM, mdmost said:

Pete's Tako House

El Milagrito

If you're checking out the missions, go to Carnitas Lonja.

14 hours ago, mdmost said:

Excellent. The first two are not too far from where we're staying. We've done Rosario's before and I remember it being pretty good.

Acenar is in downtown and is owned by the same people as Rosario's. I'd put it above Mexican Manhattan and Blanco Cafe.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2019 at 8:22 PM, mdmost said:

Rosarios (the downtown location) is solid.

I haven’t done this in years, but if you are doing a tour of missions, check out my favorite haunted site close to Mission San Francisco de la Espada in the SSE side of SA, just off Loop 410:

https://ghostcitytours.com/san-antonio/haunted-places/haunted-railroad-tracks/

Helpful hints:  1) a handful of dirt from the shoulder works just as well as baby powder, and 2) don’t go through a car wash on your way there. 

2 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I haven’t done this in years, but if you are doing a tour of missions, check out my favorite haunted site close to Mission San Francisco de la Espada in the SSE side of SA, just off Loop 410:

https://ghostcitytours.com/san-antonio/haunted-places/haunted-railroad-tracks/

Helpful hints:  1) a handful of dirt from the shoulder works just as well as baby powder, and 2) don’t go through a car wash on your way there. 

#teamdonkeyladybridge

I’m in the Stone Oak area at least a couple times a week for work. It is not a rough area, lol. I don’t know where this info is coming from.
It was a joke from the old site and it took off

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk