Beto 2020

bad_teammate

Not saying O'Rourke did this, but you'd be insane not to consider this strategy if you were the finance director of a major campaign.  In this day and age where it's so easy to pay peer-to-peer digitally with very little record of it...to find donors that want to give $100, and then they donate $25 and transfer $25 to 3 distinct friends/relatives/coworkers via venmo with the understanding that those folks turn around and donate $25 as well to the campaign of note.  So the candidate still gets the $100 and now 4 donors to list instead of just 1.  

You can get the same dollar amount with a multiple multiple of additional donors.  There's gotta be a social media deal that's discrete enough to circle your like-minded friends and family so you can tell them, "Hey, I'm gonna give $400 to our uncle "bernie" for his bridge club group in Iowa"  And then you can loop in people you know like Uncle Bernie but probably don't have $100 each to spend on his bridge club.  So you make it known you'll "send" them that $100 you owe them from secret Santa last Christmas in exchange for their state of residency and verification they are registered to vote.  

I dunno.  

@Lobo

112k unique donors is not at all hard to understand for Beto. I don't think any shenanigans are taking place. He was a national media darling for a year and progressive/Democrat media was pimping him like he was Jesus (Pod Save America basically made him). The media, even now, is giving him free coverage worth millions and millions more. (Good luck to any other candidate other than Biden getting that kind of free publicity, especially the female candidates.)

@NowThis

meh

Go to BernieSanders.com and you won't find anything either.

KamalaHarris.org, nope

PeteForAmerica.com, nope

Yeah, O'Rourke isn't doing anything out of the ordinary by leaving off a lot of policy discussion at this early juncture.  But it certainly needs to be pushed out and vetted and modified before debate season.  I think several of these candidates are learning something from Hillary's campaign where she doubled down too early on campaign stances/experiences that didn't really exist ("Took on the Big Banks"/"Stood up to Wall Street"/passed meaningful legislation, etc.) that turned out to be total bullshit and used against her by President Asshat.  

13 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, O'Rourke isn't doing anything out of the ordinary by leaving off a lot of policy discussion at this early juncture.  But it certainly needs to be pushed out and vetted and modified before debate season.

100%. I'm not arguing that O'Rourke isn't thin in substance (he kind of is), I'm just pointing out that campaign websites aren't really the place to look for that. Those are promotional efforts.

The thin on substance is simply because Bernie and Warren are policy wonks that lead with it and Beto’s primary stump speech is a feel good one. He’s got positions just not step by step save the world comprehensive flowcharts and everything Perot style shit.

17 minutes ago, NowThis said:

Beto reminds me of rockers KISS. It's music, but what is it really???

Trump reminds me of Gene Simmons. I can't remember where I read it but someone once described Gene Simmons as an open sore of a human being. Simmons was always more of a carnival barker than a rocker and the KISS Army is definitely made up of rubes. Like Trump, that asshole will slap his brand on anything for a buck.

1 minute ago, F250 said:

Trump reminds me of Gene Simmons. I can't remember where I read it but someone once described Gene Simmons as an open sore of a human being. Simmons was always more of a carnival barker than a rocker and the KISS Army is definitely made up of rubes. Like Trump, that asshole will slap his brand on anything for a buck.

Let's not get anti-Semitic.

Just now, David Dennison said:

Let's not get anti-Semitic.

I know your joking but I half expected someone to actually throw that out there. To be fair though, I've been anti-AIPAC since it wasn't cool to be anti-AIPAC so I am used to it.

On 3/23/2019 at 12:30 PM, bad_teammate said:

He's clearly top tier when it comes to fundraising and I don't foresee a scenario in which he doesn't remain in the top tier of fundraising. One of the few metrics we have for voter popularity is number of individual contributors/volunteers. He's also top tier there.

I don't know where Biden is going to find an enthusiastic base. And I especially don't see what kind of base is going to show up for him at rallies and be really excited by his pompous rambling. Biden could flame out very quickly.

Really, I don't know where Biden's poll numbers come from. The only people I know who favor him in the primary are GOP exiles and I don't know any that are planning to register Dem. Most of the Dems I know that would have been in his wheelhouse in the past are flirting with other candidates. Biden's time has passed. 

• Like 1

Really, I don't know where Biden's poll numbers come from. The only people I know who favor him in the primary are GOP exiles and I don't know any that are planning to register Dem. Most of the Dems I know that would have been in his wheelhouse in the past are flirting with other candidates. Biden's time has passed. 

This.

I really don’t know anyone clamoring for Biden. I feel like he’s just a mental placeholder in the polls for “reminds us of a time before Trump.”

21 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Do y'all know any old Democrats?

He's got a fanbase out there.

Yeah, plenty.  They like Beto mostly.

I'm sure he has some people who pull for him in his home state.  Fanbase is a strong word though.  He is the Cleveland Browns of politics.

8 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

Yeah, plenty.  They like Beto mostly.

I'm sure he has some people who pull for him in his home state.  Fanbase is a strong word though.  He is the Cleveland Browns of politics.

Biden is currently viewed as most likely to beat Trump, which is supported by polling.  The average voter knows Biden and expects that he will just reconstitute the Obama administration.  

2 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I'm on the record with Biden flaming out quickly. The negative backlash once he's officially a candidate will be swift and sturdy.  He has no chance.

Yep, each major candidate has faced a wave of negativity as the forces against them had been aligning and waiting for their moment to strike.

I can't wait to see Biden react to people howling at him.

52 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Yep, each major candidate has faced a wave of negativity as the forces against them had been aligning and waiting for their moment to strike.

I can't wait to see Biden react to people howling at him.

Like I said the day he announced he was running, there are going to real stories about him that make him look bad and there will be some made up ones. 

IE.. this fake one. 

https://www.politifact.com/texas/statements/2019/mar/20/tweets/no-texas-democratic-party-did-not-give-beto-orourk/

Most people aren't going to follow up on those stories after they see the headline.  It's fucked up because it's verifiable false information being spread.

My prediction is he'll be kavanaughed during the primaries.  It doesn't matter what his policies are, a white guy isn't going to get the nomination.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

is that so? definitely let him Vote then.

Eh, I don't think 16 year olds should vote. I just thought Huckabee should have used his own son as an example of teens making poor choices. Although killing an animal for shits and giggles is not really a good example of a poor choice but the sign of a fucking sociopath in the making.

3 hours ago, F250 said:

Mike Huckabee is the one whose teenage son murdered a dog right?

Other than neurological traits that are still beyond our technological understanding, isn’t the murder of small animals the number one thing that serial killers have in common?   

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 9:47 PM, FondrenRoad said:

Name recognition, Obama, and thoughts that he can beat Trump.  If another candidate can give voters a sense that they could actually beat Trump, Biden is probably significantly weakened as maybe 2020 is greatly about which Dem candidate is best suited - in the minds of voters - to actually win versus one specific issue or two.  We shall see.

Just now, UTDD said:

Name recognition, Obama, and thoughts that he can beat Trump.  If another candidate can give voters a sense that they could actually beat Trump, Biden is probably significantly weakened as maybe 2020 is greatly about which Dem candidate is best suited - in the minds of voters - to actually win versus one specific issue or two.  We shall see.

Definitely name recognition.  People are still learning who the others (except Sanders) are. 

Yeah, my bad for starting that trend.  His fullname thing is bullshit.  Rep. O'Rourke or Congressman O'Rourke is the appropriate nomenclature, dude.  

You address a politician by their highest office achieved.  Fucking, lobbying 101.  Not that hard.  

I don't really have a problem with the snarky "Robert Francis" thing. It's not a dog whistle for racism like "HUSSEIN!"

Also, "Beto" literally is a nickname given to him in order to make him more politically palatable among Latinos. It's why his father chose the nickname. Naming your son "Robert Francis" but giving him the nickname "Beto" is an extremely cynical ploy by a rich white man to lord power over Latinos without polluting your family with actual Latino names. Then, you know, 'ole Beto goes around to tell the poor Latino ladies why the city using eminent domain to demolish their neighborhood for some hip shopping district.

So if Latino groups were to call him "Robert Francis" I'd be fine with it and even support them. Snarky Republicans are annoying even if they have a point.

No San Antonio? What a puto.

The thing about Robert Francis is he doesn't seem to really pursue the Hispanic vote but prefers to bask in the adoration of white upper middle class America.

Beto O'Rourke is basically the Torchys Taco of Texas politics.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

No San Antonio? What a puto.
The thing about Robert Francis is he doesn't seem to really pursue the Hispanic vote but prefers to bask in the adoration of white upper middle class America.
Beto O'Rourke is basically the Torchys Taco of Texas politics.

Man, I actually like Beto....but this is f’n SCRONG.