Beto 2020

bad_teammate

This reminds me of something we looked at last year, but splitting between donors, not candidates.  Since there's just as much power in having a person attached to your campaign (receive messages, signage, synch of social media, etc.) as there is in them donating $100 to you...there is likely a way around the FEC rules about this.  

If I want to donate $500 to O'Rourke's campaign, and I have 4 friends who also want to give money to his campaign but can't afford to.  With so many peer-to-peer payment platforms out there, you attach one of them to a federal thrift chartered online bank/digital payment platform.  I send each of my four friends $100 (or $103.14, whatever it is with their fee).  They turn around and send $100 (likely through one of the same digital payment platforms that's at the bottom of every campaign page that says 'click here to donate') to the Beto campaign.  Beto now has the $500 I intended to donate to him, AND his campaign now has the information and communication exchange with these other 4 people.  I would think in this day and age of payment systems, that has to be incredibly easy to do.  The campaigns won't get that much more money out of it, but they'll get access to so many more 'donors' who now have 'skin in the game' and are much more likely to stay engaged even if it wasn't truly their money.  

This reminds me of something we looked at last year, but splitting between donors, not candidates.  Since there's just as much power in having a person attached to your campaign (receive messages, signage, synch of social media, etc.) as there is in them donating $100 to you...there is likely a way around the FEC rules about this.  
If I want to donate $500 to O'Rourke's campaign, and I have 4 friends who also want to give money to his campaign but can't afford to.  With so many peer-to-peer payment platforms out there, you attach one of them to a federal thrift chartered online bank/digital payment platform.  I send each of my four friends $100 (or $103.14, whatever it is with their fee).  They turn around and send $100 (likely through one of the same digital payment platforms that's at the bottom of every campaign page that says 'click here to donate') to the Beto campaign.  Beto now has the $500 I intended to donate to him, AND his campaign now has the information and communication exchange with these other 4 people.  I would think in this day and age of payment systems, that has to be incredibly easy to do.  The campaigns won't get that much more money out of it, but they'll get access to so many more 'donors' who now have 'skin in the game' and are much more likely to stay engaged even if it wasn't truly their money.  

Huge risk of commiting a crime there.

Yeah, I realize that.  But which one?  That's what we can't figure out.  In an age of  peer-to-peer lending.  Why can't we meet in person over a beer.  And we talk about how much we love a candidate.  I can hand you a pre-paid Visa giftcard worth a $100 and you go back home and enter that number on Beto's website.  And I do the same.  And he gets more donors/supporters/addresses/etc. as opposed to just me donating $200 on my own and you just cheering from the sidelines.  

On 7/17/2019 at 11:04 PM, Larry T. Spider said:

At this point I’m just donating to my house rep for the Texas legislature. He’s a first term dem in a newly light blue district. My money is next to meaningless in a presidential campaign.

Yep, all my effort is going to Dem state and fed elected folks, and going to try not to let the Pres. race make me crazy.

The Republicans in Dallas are going to bring the crazed mofos in to take back what they lost.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:
4 hours ago, Lobo said:

Read more  

Huge risk of commiting a crime there.

giphy.gif

And?  Crimes?  What are those?  Nothing matters.  Dems worried about crimes.  Pssh.

I said somewhere, maybe this thread that I thought Beto should not run and become the big fish in Texas to turn it blue. I still think he should still do that. Be the Stacy Abrams of Texas. Get out the vote for Democratic candidates in Texas and run for Governor or the Senate. I'd like to see that.

• Like 3

Anyway, we just gotta a PPM for his FIL on a sweet workforce housing deal so I know everybody is totally doubling down on President.  I mean, yeah sure the hurdle rate is just 10% but that just screams cabinet member.  

it's still funny that ted responded because the entire foundation of the joke is how terrible and unlikable he is.

it would be like if the horns were stumbling in the middle of their football schedule, and needed a win, and herman said, "man, where is kansas when you need them?"

and then kansas responded, "we're right here in lawrence, what up?"

4 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

it's still funny that ted responded because the entire foundation of the joke is how terrible and unlikable he is.

it would be like if the horns were stumbling in the middle of their football schedule, and needed a win, and herman said, "man, where is kansas when you need them?"

It would be like Kansas saying  "AP voters have us ranked higher than you"

10 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

I mean, it would be like that if it was the year KU actually beat Texas.  Because KU (like Ted) is terrible but won (like Ted).  

Yep that’s why he’s not gaining traction. Totally. Just admit that he missed his moment and waited too long to jump in  for someone who had no job after his term was over in the House  

I think it's pretty obvious what happened to Beto. 

He announced his candidacy with a Vanity Fair cover with a fairly harmless quote about "being born" to run for President or whatever. Naturally as the media is wont to do, they gave him a little shit for a stupid quote. 

His reaction was to cower from the spotlight and focus on retail politics. He had nothing but glowing coverage from Texas/National media for his entire Senate run, and froze and backtracked at the first sign of criticism as a Presidential primary candidate. He avoided media interviews and podcasts and focused on meeting people in Iowa. He let a meaningless VF cover moment become a big deal and walked away from speaking to voters across the country. And if you won't talk to the media or do podcasts, what are they supposed to say about you? 

A lot of Beto supporters look to Buttigieg as the reason he's not doing well in the media. That's a copout. Pete had numerous BRUTAL moments covered relentlessly by the media over the SB Police shooting. Footage with TERRIBLE optics for him. Did he back down? Did he shy away from the media? No, he owned it and keeps pressing forward. Maybe it's all for naught as Pete has to capture POC and polling hasn't shown much improvement yet. But his campaign strategy wasn't deterred. 

Beto is a good dude and is working hard. He either made a terrible decision or got bad advice from his campaign staff. At this point it's probably too late to turn around the narrative. 

• Like 4

I think it's pretty obvious what happened to Beto. 
He announced his candidacy with a Vanity Fair cover with a fairly harmless quote about "being born" to run for President or whatever. Naturally as the media is wont to do, they gave him a little shit for a stupid quote. 
His reaction was to cower from the spotlight and focus on retail politics. He had nothing but glowing coverage from Texas/National media for his entire Senate run, and froze and backtracked at the first sign of criticism as a Presidential primary candidate. He avoided media interviews and podcasts and focused on meeting people in Iowa. He let a meaningless VF cover moment become a big deal and walked away from speaking to voters across the country. And if you won't talk to the media or do podcasts, what are they supposed to say about you? 
A lot of Beto supporters look to Buttigieg as the reason he's not doing well in the media. That's a copout. Pete had numerous BRUTAL moments covered relentlessly by the media over the SB Police shooting. Footage with TERRIBLE optics for him. Did he back down? Did he shy away from the media? No, he owned it and keeps pressing forward. Maybe it's all for naught as Pete has to capture POC and polling hasn't shown much improvement yet. But his campaign strategy wasn't deterred. 
Beto is a good dude and is working hard. He either made a terrible decision or got bad advice from his campaign staff. At this point it's probably too late to turn around the narrative. 
He also just looks and feels way out of his depth amongst serious people that command respect (unlike Ted Cruz).

All Pete did was create a stark contrast where you have two young, traditionally underqualified candidates amongst heavy hitters, and one looks like he belongs and the other looks and acts like a nervous overgrown kid in an itchy suit his mom made him wear.
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

That was so dumb.

He was driving around, livestreaming his dentist appointments and being coy about running and reflecting on life.  But "BORN TO RUN." 

9 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

He also just looks and feels way out of his depth amongst serious people that command respect (unlike Ted Cruz).

All Pete did was create a stark contrast where you have two young, traditionally underqualified candidates amongst heavy hitters, and one looks like he belongs and the other looks and acts like a nervous overgrown kid in an itchy suit his mom made him wear.

This nailed it.

Beto is a great off the cuff speaker.  He's on CNN right now talking about the El Paso shooter and this is where he shines.  When he's speaking from his heart, not trying to say the right thing in a debate.  Maybe that's not a good quality for a successful presidential run, but it's a damn good quality for a human being in a highly visible and influential position of some kind.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Beto is a great off the cuff speaker.  He's on CNN right now talking about the El Paso shooter and this is where he shines.  When he's speaking from his heart, not trying to say the right thing in a debate.  Maybe that's not a good quality for a successful presidential run, but it's a damn good quality for a human being in a highly visible and influential position of some kind.

I just watched him and he put the blame directly on Trump and his followers which is where it should be.

Thank you Beto for speaking out on this bullshit party and president.

The only one to do so.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

The only one to do so.

The first but not the last.  We’re still in the fact gathering stage here.  

Remember how Kamala got dragged for jumping the gun on the Jussie Smollett fake hate crime?  

Yeah, I’d wait before drawing the direct line to Trump... Although I do appreciate Beto calling out Trump for this shit. 

It’s easy for us to draw that line.  We don’t have our entire political career resting on scattered pieces of information and social media images that may or may not be associated with the shooter. 

However, Trump is still a domestic terrorist inspiration, regardless of the facts surrounding the El Paso shooting.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz