Beto 2020

bad_teammate

He's already dead man walking; the moment passed fortunately or unfortnately depending on how you felt about him as the D candidate. Crazier things have happened in the past, but not with a field of 20. His big debate moment is to become the butt of a meme that makes Booker look good/has a sense of humor, if that tells you all you need to know.

A) Romney won his 2018 Senate Race by 35%, the Keebler Elf will absolutely be back on that Bama dick ASAP. Beto will be around at the federal level as a a Dem for a very long time.

B) Beto got the most votes in TX as a Dem by a considerable margin. This wasn’t the sneaker shoe lady going up against Perry. In my somewhat extensive travels, non-aggy non-GOP brainwashed Texans are fairly good judges of character. Homeboy won us fair and square. His willingness to just fucking get out there and listen In his 2018 absolutely materially impacted the number of town halls the candidates have done so far. Set the gold standard. Period, How he’s flushed out his policy positions since he announced his run and his well-hearted gaffes have only made me like him more. Since when the fuck has it been so en Vogue to shit on people when the apologize for making legislative errors on policy PROPOSALS while absolutely doing noting to compromise the core issue it’s addressing?

WE TALKIN’ ABOUT PRACTICE?

If Biden/Bernie fall tomm, which I think one of them will, his chances are as good as anyone’s not named Warren.

That’s 1/3 any way you slice it. That cop shit fucked Mayor P IMO so I can see Castro taken his numbers. Beto was solid tonight. Give me a shitty 30 second clip for him from tonight and I might let you buy me dinner.

• Like 1

outside of Warren who has every major issue handled in a Master's Thesis level detail, Beto is the best on immigration.  Castro screamed "what about Section 1325?!??!" way to many times and he's dead as wrong about it.  asylum is the bulk of the current immigration crisis and we need to honor that.  we need to work with other countries instead of tearing them down.  we need strong democratic central governments in central america.  there's a reason why Costa Ricans and Ecuadorians aren't fleeing to the US.  He outlined DACA and path to citizenship and then bluntly in the mayhem of "WHAT ABOUT 1325?!?!?" told Castro "if we reform immigration then I don't think it's too much to ask to require immigrants to follow our laws" and THAT is EXACTLY the right answer.

Fuck this, Castro won that interchange.  He didn't, he was just louder.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Beto should just do a full heel-turn. Whatever he's doing isn't working, become the bad guy.

Come out in leather pants and a leather vest and a black bandana (no shirt). Wear sunglasses the whole time. Shawn Michaels walk out music. Interrupt constantly and hire Anthony Jeselnik to write some good lines.

I was right.

*nerd voice, pretending to tap on a calculator* "Uhhh, subsection 14.34A paragraph C sentence 13 says uhh ummm OOOOOH! -- Yeah whatever, HOOOlian, tag in your brother you look pathetic right now."

Edited by bad_teammate

4 hours ago, troph said:

outside of Warren who has every major issue handled in a Master's Thesis level detail, Beto is the best on immigration.  Castro screamed "what about Section 1325?!??!" way to many times and he's dead as wrong about it.  asylum is the bulk of the current immigration crisis and we need to honor that.  we need to work with other countries instead of tearing them down.  we need strong democratic central governments in central america.  there's a reason why Costa Ricans and Ecuadorians aren't fleeing to the US.  He outlined DACA and path to citizenship and then bluntly in the mayhem of "WHAT ABOUT 1325?!?!?" told Castro "if we reform immigration then I don't think it's too much to ask to require immigrants to follow our laws" and THAT is EXACTLY the right answer.

Fuck this, Castro won that interchange.  He didn't, he was just louder.

I disagree. Castro highlighted an issue that has been quietly occurring for a couple of decades. Trump uses the federal crime portion of the law to justify the separation of children along with his zero tolerance policy. Trumpkins justify these acts with "it's the law!"

Leaving the misdemeanor on the books will only leave a tool for another Trump to build child prisons again. Hell, I don't trust any POTUS to use the tool humanely. Both Bush and Obama abused it and it took Trump going Final Solution for anyone to pay attention.

The current problem with kids in concentration camps is a direct result of what Castro called out last night. Highlighting 1325 in front of a national audience in the way he did last night was a very Big Deal for immigration reform.

It also cut O'Rourke off at the knees with the Hispanic vote. It didn't help that the Irishman decided to mutter a few sentences in broken Spanish. That was a bit insulting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, F250 said:

I disagree. Castro highlighted an issue that has been quietly occurring for a couple of decades. Trump uses the federal crime portion of the law to justify the separation of children along with his zero tolerance policy. Trumpkins justify these acts with "it's the law!"

Leaving the misdemeanor on the books will only leave a tool for another Trump to build child prisons again. Hell, I don't trust any POTUS to use the tool humanely. Both Bush and Obama abused it and it took Trump going Final Solution for anyone to pay attention.

The current problem with kids in concentration camps is a direct result of what Castro called out last night. Highlighting 1325 in front of a national audience in the way he did last night was a very Big Deal for immigration reform.

It also cut O'Rourke off at the knees with the Hispanic vote. It didn't help that the Irishman decided to mutter a few sentences in broken Spanish. That was a bit insulting.

you may be right in a lot of ways re current outcomes.  I don't think de-criminalizing completely is appropriate.  but I think separating families is wrong.  I don't think Beto was arguing separating families is ok, he is an advocate for a complete overhaul of the law.  but simply repealing criminalization does have it's own set of problems potentially.  and I don't think there is appetite for a full de-criminalization where there is room for fixing the child separation issue.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, troph said:

you may be right in a lot of ways re current outcomes.  I don't think de-criminalizing completely is appropriate.  but I think separating families is wrong.  I don't think Beto was arguing separating families is ok, he is an advocate for a complete overhaul of the law.  but simply repealing criminalization does have it's own set of problems potentially.  and I don't think there is appetite for a full de-criminalization where there is room for fixing the child separation issue.

I understand that Beto has a reform plan as does Castro but the issue over Beto's plan is that it doesn't go far enough to address the issue at hand which is the overuse of arrests being made for a misdemeanor that didn't come into play until the Bush Jr. administration.

I believe Beto wants to stop separating families but based on the history of the past Presidents, I don't trust any future administration to not use this particular law as a weapon. As Castro pointed out, decriminalizing border crossings doesn't legalize drug smuggling or human trafficking. These crimes were being addressed prior to the Bush administration. It doesn't even prevent people from being deported after crossing illegally.

There is a shit-ton of distrust within the Hispanic community right now and by going against decriminalization Beto puts himself on the people not to trust side. Fortunately for Beto, Hispanics don't vote in large numbers so not scaring off the white voters might work out for him. However, if Castro can rally the Mexican-American vote in Texas, he might prove himself as great resource and VP for whoever wins the nomination.

Beto will be at Scholz's tomorrow at 6pm.

i work basically across the street. i'm torn between strolling over and seeing him in the flesh... and getting the fuck out of dodge by 3pm bc it's going to be a clusterfuck nightmare coupled with all the damn construction 🤔

Beto will be at Scholz's tomorrow at 6pm.
i work basically across the street. i'm torn between strolling over and seeing him in the flesh... and getting the fuck out of dodge by 3pm bc it's going to be a clusterfuck nightmare coupled with all the damn construction

Go see him, he’s pretty cool in person.

All those old school picnic tables made of solid wood on that great garden patio.  I can’t possibly imagine what or who could get on top of them.  It’s a mystery just like the date and his campaign suspension.  

From a politics/optics perspective, Beto could have easily destroyed Castro the other night if he had been quicker on his feet. After Julian started to hammer him, all Beto really needed to do was pivot to Spanish when replying to Castro, say something about immigration and then end with “Si, Julian?” ...then watch Castro blink and fumble. He didn’t use one of his biggest weapons.

From a politics/optics perspective, Beto could have easily destroyed Castro the other night if he had been quicker on his feet. After Julian started to hammer him, all Beto really needed to do was pivot to Spanish when replying to Castro, say something about immigration and then end with “Si, Julian?” ...then watch Castro blink and fumble. He didn’t use one of his biggest weapons.

That would have been bad ass

Yesterday when my wife got home she said she had had lunch at a local sushi restaurant here in Dallas called Steel.

I asked her what she had and she said she got the "Beto Box".

I'm thinking now, while the iron is hot, and yet very cold, Beto needs to open a chain of Irish Mexican fast food places where you can get a pint of Guinness and a "Beto Box".

12507575_10153868857613308_6329509264904

10 hours ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

I am not sure if Beto's Spanish is advanced enough to pull something like that off. My Spanish is about a hundred times stronger than Beto's and I have to mentally warm up for awhile before I can switch gears on the fly. Just ask the Chilean bank I was dealing with last week when they brought up their contract and I had to switch to english for a moment. Based on the videos I've seen of Beto talking in Spanish it appears he is translating sentences rather than just thinking out loud in spanish which would explain why he speaks it so slow.

I can see bamachick on the bridge right now after he drops out, screaming to the heavens with arms raised in agony, "Bay---Toe!"  with Santo & Johnny playing somehow in the backgroud.  

He's not going anywhere for awhile, he's got too much money "loan" the campaign.  Castro is gonna advance Texas purple though, not O'Rourke.  

6 hours ago, Lobo said:

He's not going anywhere for awhile, he's got too much money "loan" the campaign.  Castro is gonna advance Texas purple though, not O'Rourke.  

Beto already made Texas purple by taking it to within 220000 votes of electing a Democrat in a midterm. There have been lots of nonvoting Democrats in Texas sitting on the sidelines. Beto brought some of them off the sidelines in 2018 and now a lot more will vote in 2020.

Certainly there are more than a million registered but nonvoting Latinos that could be mobilized beyond what Beto has already done, but they would move Texas out of the purple category if they voted.

• Like 1

Oh, Congressman O'Rourke did that?  Okay, I'll let the actual Latinos that did the real heavy lifting the last decade know that.  

What is the reasoning behind these proposals? Teachers only, is that really solving the student debt crisis?

Also, the PBS link mentions he would provide the first two years of college for free but wouldn't it make more sense to make it the last two if you are only funding two years? That would at least incentivize students to complete college.

"Presidential candidate Beto O'Rourke announced a plan to forgive 100% of student loan debt for all public school teachers, as part of a far-reaching plan for massive investment in public education."

"He said he would provide two years of debt-free public or community college for all Americans, according to PBS."

As someone put it, Beto is Bruce Willis’ character in the sixth sense. Everyone knows his campaign is over except for him. 

Now he’s just working on damaging and ending his entire political career. 

Edited by EuroHorn
  • Like 1

The smart move would be to drop out and work on organizing Texas and advocating on immigration. Don't run. Support candidates in Texas up and down the ballot using his donor network and volunteer network. Run for Governor or for Cruz's seat again in 2022 when the time is right.

Edited by horncyclist

17 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

The smart move would be to drop out and work on organizing Texas and advocating on immigration. Don't run. Support candidates in Texas up and down the ballot using his donor network and volunteer network. Run for Governor or for Cruz's seat again in 2022 when the time is right.

The Abrams model. I support this. Cruz is up in 24, fyi. 

11 hours ago, horncyclist said:

He can still do that after he loses the primary. By staying in the race he at least has a shot at the VP nomination.

10 minutes ago, F250 said:

He can still do that after he loses the primary. By staying in the race he at least has a shot at the VP nomination.

Lulz. The Dems aren't nominating putting white dude that thinks he's Mexican on the ticket.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

The "shot at the VP if/when they drop out" thing is one of the most incorrectly placed theories in modern presidential campaign politics.  

When did Pence drop out in 2016?  How about Kaine?  

When did Paul Ryan drop out in 2012? 

Biden did drop out and attach on to 2008 under Obama, I'll grant you that, same with Edwards in 2004 but he barely ran that time around.  When did Palin drop out in 2008 though?  Remind me.

When did Dick Cheney and Joe Liebermann decide to drop out in 2000?

When did Jack Kemp drop out in 1996?  How about Al Gore in 1992, when did he drop out to join Clinton? 

When did Bentsen drop out in 1988?  How about Quayle?  

When did Ferraro drop out to back Mondale in 1984?  

Bush did do that in a way in 1980 to team up with Reagan.  

3 examples in 40 years.  That O'Rourke or someone like him has a real shot at the VP slot by exiting elegantly from this race is largely foolish.  The DNC will pick an establishment VP and their voters will shut up and take it.  

VP's being chosen from the pool of people who just left the race is simply not true in the vast, vast majority of cases.  It's as logical as picking Biden to carry Delaware or Cheney to carry Wyoming.  

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

The "shot at the VP if/when they drop out" thing is one of the most incorrectly placed theories in modern presidential campaign politics.  

Biden did drop out and attach on to 2008 under Obama, I'll grant you that, same with Edwards in 2004 but he barely ran that time around.  When did Palin drop out in 2008 though?  Remind me.

When did Jack Kemp drop out in 1996?  How about Al Gore in 1992, when did he drop out to join Clinton? 

3 examples in 40 years.  That O'Rourke or someone like him has a real shot at the VP slot by exiting elegantly from this race is largely foolish.  The DNC will pick an establishment VP and their voters will shut up and take it.  

VP's being chosen from the pool of people who just left the race is simply not true in the vast, vast majority of cases.  It's as logical as picking Biden to carry Delaware or Cheney to carry Wyoming.  

I don't disagree but Beto is pretty much a nobody and his only chance is gaining attention during the primary. Otherwise he's just that guy that lost to Cruz.

Plus he can potentially trade an endorsement for a cabinet position.

Edited by F250

I agree with you 100% and generally speaking if you make VP you self select out of the POTUS position entirely. GHWB is the only VP in modern times to become POTUS and Biden has a long way to go to make him the second.

beto fizzled rather quickly, zero traction 

I’m pretty surprised but he got boxed in hard early and then failed to give the media its right to cover him as they wanted and he got nailed to the cross for it. Game over.
  • Like 1

I was recently given documents showing that both Amy and I are descended from people who owned slaves. Along with other possessions listed in their property log were two human beings, Rose and Eliza.

editor-2019-07-12.png

A paternal great-great-great grandfather of mine, Andrew Cowan Jasper, owned these two women in the 1850s. There are also records showing that a maternal great-great-great grandfather, Frederick Williams, most likely owned slaves in the 1860s (“most likely,” because we are not certain that the Frederick Williams who is my ancestor and the Frederick Williams who owned slaves are the same person, but there’s enough circumstantial data to lead me to conclude that it’s likely).

Records also showed that Amy had an ancestor who owned slaves and another who was a member of the Confederate Army.

Something that we’ve been thinking about and talking about in town hall meetings and out on the campaign — the legacy of slavery in the United States — now has a much more personal connection.

Ownership of other human beings conferred advantages not just to Andrew Jasper and Frederick Williams, but to Jasper’s and Williams’ descendants as well. They were able to build wealth on the backs and off the sweat of others, wealth that they would then be able to pass down to their children and their children’s children. In some way, and in some form, that advantage would pass through to me and my children.

That those enslaved Americans owned by my ancestors were denied their freedom, denied the ability to amass wealth, denied full civil rights in America after slavery also had long term repercussions for them and their descendants.

The way that fortune was passed through the generations from Andrew to me, misfortune was passed through the generations from Rose and Eliza to their descendants who are alive today. Rose and Eliza were denied their freedom and the benefits that their labor produced; they and their children were then denied their civil rights after the end of Reconstruction; and their descendants endured open terrorism, economic exclusion and racism in the form of Jim Crow, lynchings, convict leasing, voter suppression, red lining, predatory lending, and mass incarceration. Everything their descendants have accomplished in their lives is despite having all of these odds stacked against them.

In the aggregate, slavery, its legacy and the ensuing forms of institutionalized racism have produced an America with stark differences in opportunities and outcomes, depending on race.

For example, there is 10 times the wealth in white American than there is in black America. Black men are six times more likely to be incarcerated than white men. The disparity in infant mortality between black families and white families is greater today than it was in 1850. Whether it’s the economy, healthcare, education, criminal justice or even in the inherent biases revealed by technology, there really are two Americas.

I benefit from a system that my ancestors built to favor themselves at the expense of others. That only increases the urgency I feel to help change this country so that it works for those who have been locked-out of — or locked-up in — this system.

As a person, as a candidate for the office of the Presidency, I will do everything I can to deliver on this responsibility.

In addition to making significant changes to education policy (immediately address $23 billion in underfunding for minority-majority public schools), economic policy (ensuring equal pay, deploying capital to minority- and women-owned businesses, $25 billion in government procurement to these same businesses), healthcare (universal healthcare and home health visits to women of color to reverse trend in maternal and infant mortality) and criminal justice (police accountability, ending the drug war, and expunging arrest records for nonviolent drug crimes), I will continue to support reparations, beginning with an important national conversation on slavery and racial injustice.

We all need to know our own story as it relates to the national story, much as I am learning mine. It is only then, I believe, that we can take the necessary steps to repair the damage done and stop visiting this injustice on the generations that follow ours.

- Beto

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

I'm was recently given documents showing that both Amy and I are descended from people who owned slaves. Aong with other possessions listed in their property log were two human beings, Rose and Eliza.

editor-2019-07-12.png

A paternal great-great-great grandfather of mine, Andrew Cowan Jasper, owned these two women in the 1850s. There are also records showing that a maternal great-great-great grandfather, Frederick Williams, most likely owned slaves in the 1860s (“most likely,” because we are not certain that the Frederick Williams who is my ancestor and the Frederick Williams who owned slaves are the same person, but there’s enough circumstantial data to lead me to conclude that it’s likely).

Records also showed that Amy had an ancestor who owned slaves and another who was a member of the Confederate Army.

Something that we’ve been thinking about and talking about in town hall meetings and out on the campaign — the legacy of slavery in the United States — now has a much more personal connection.

Ownership of other human beings conferred advantages not just to Andrew Jasper and Frederick Williams, but to Jasper’s and Williams’ descendants as well. They were able to build wealth on the backs and off the sweat of others, wealth that they would then be able to pass down to their children and their children’s children. In some way, and in some form, that advantage would pass through to me and my children.

That those enslaved Americans owned by my ancestors were denied their freedom, denied the ability to amass wealth, denied full civil rights in America after slavery also had long term repercussions for them and their descendants.

The way that fortune was passed through the generations from Andrew to me, misfortune was passed through the generations from Rose and Eliza to their descendants who are alive today. Rose and Eliza were denied their freedom and the benefits that their labor produced; they and their children were then denied their civil rights after the end of Reconstruction; and their descendants endured open terrorism, economic exclusion and racism in the form of Jim Crow, lynchings, convict leasing, voter suppression, red lining, predatory lending, and mass incarceration. Everything their descendants have accomplished in their lives is despite having all of these odds stacked against them.

In the aggregate, slavery, its legacy and the ensuing forms of institutionalized racism have produced an America with stark differences in opportunities and outcomes, depending on race.

For example, there is 10 times the wealth in white American than there is in black America. Black men are six times more likely to be incarcerated than white men. The disparity in infant mortality between black families and white families is greater today than it was in 1850. Whether it’s the economy, healthcare, education, criminal justice or even in the inherent biases revealed by technology, there really are two Americas.

I benefit from a system that my ancestors built to favor themselves at the expense of others. That only increases the urgency I feel to help change this country so that it works for those who have been locked-out of — or locked-up in — this system.

As a person, as a candidate for the office of the Presidency, I will do everything I can to deliver on this responsibility.

In addition to making significant changes to education policy (immediately address $23 billion in underfunding for minority-majority public schools), economic policy (ensuring equal pay, deploying capital to minority- and women-owned businesses, $25 billion in government procurement to these same businesses), healthcare (universal healthcare and home health visits to women of color to reverse trend in maternal and infant mortality) and criminal justice (police accountability, ending the drug war, and expunging arrest records for nonviolent drug crimes), I will continue to support reparations, beginning with an important national conversation on slavery and racial injustice.

We all need to know our own story as it relates to the national story, much as I am learning mine. It is only then, I believe, that we can take the necessary steps to repair the damage done and stop visiting this injustice on the generations that follow ours.

- Beto

I'm thinking that Robert might be mentally ill. He really needs to seek help.

Edited by Turkleton
  • Fuck You 1

One would imagine that such a revelation would lead someone of a progressive bent to advance a radical and profoundly disruptive-to-the-admittedly-white-supremacist-social-and-economic-system policy platform.

Let's see!

Ah yes, the ever-present "support" for a "national conversation" on the only issue there that is politically dangerous and materially significant.

1f914.png

(Oh, and the lie about supporting "universal healthcare" when he actually doesn't.)

When your policy with regard to dealing with the impacts of slavery is literally exactly the same after learning this as it was before... it seems like maybe this revelation didn't actually matter to you and you're just using the suffering of your ancestral slaves as a "LOOK AT ME!" opportunity.

Gen X personified

Fuck off, some of us woke up from the baby boomer bullshit - the ones — most of us — who didn’t have a path to easy money - and have been working hard and raising decent humans. That’s a lot more than the baby boomers can say.

We aren’t headline seekers, we don’t get air time and yet the pioneers of rank and file change and leadership is starting with us, not millennials. The only depressing reality is that we can’t vote out your parents alone and we need millennials to wake the fuck up and vote every time not just one time.

• Like 4

Well he didn’t outright apologize.... yet. I’m sure he’ll go on another news show and apologize profusely today. This guy just needs to call it and work on Texas if he wants a future in politics.