Beto 2020

bad_teammate

1 minute ago, tantric superman said:

I love the idea of a specific war tax. 

I also would love the idea of a tax credit for people who attend an online (or live) webcast where someone does a power point on the annual federal budget.

*#YangGang storms into the thread*

"POWER-POINT! POWER-POINT! POWER-POINT!"

I can't get over that this war tax was willfully proposed.  Was his campaign so focused on pandering to the veteran vote that they forgot about everyone else in this scenario?  And the tax specifically hurting middle and lower income families more than the rich?  Fuck this shit. 

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I'm confused. So only $1,000 for any household making over 200k? Why is this proposed tax focused on mostly affecting middle and lower incomes? 

Because those are the taxpayer households sending their young people off to fight in these wars?  Wow, I can't believe a disassociated child-congressman from a wealthy white family in a military town doesn't grasp the plight of the nation when it comes to warfighting and warfunding.  It's impossible some of you are this naive.  

That said, Beto has been great on Veterans Affairs and should be playing that up on the campaign trail.  But he doesn't for some reason.  It's his only feather in his cap from his 20 minutes in Congress.  He was doing great work there before he realized modeling on top of IKEA furniture was his best path to the Oval.  

So after researching a bit more, this is intended to prevent Congress from waging war?  Why the fuck would they care that their constituents are going to pay more?  Their approval ratings are already in the single digits and they SOMEHOW keep getting elected anyway.  Their kickbacks from defense contractors will be more than enough incentive to keep us in endless wars.

requiring congressional approval is great.  but the war tax is still all kinds of dumb.  I'm really disheartened, because I really like what he could be as a candidate.  this one will kill what's left of his bid for presidency.  fuck.

6 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

So after researching a bit more, this is intended to prevent Congress from waging war?  Why the fuck would they care that their constituents are going to pay more?  Their approval ratings are already in the single digits and they SOMEHOW keep getting elected anyway.  Their kickbacks from defense contractors will be more than enough incentive to keep us in endless wars.

When you see leftists online complaining about "electoralism" and "reformism" as enemies to progress, this is what they're talking about.

Yeah, 'cause our problem in this country for the last 70 years is our Congress declaring war all willy-nilly like.  I mean, I agree with you Biff.  But the issue isn't Congress covering their financial ass.  They haven't been materially involved in any sort of military action declaration, save for one token Iraq vote, on anything since Korea and we've spent a few trillion and a tens of thousands of lives in the interim on POTUS-stroked bullshit.  

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, 'cause our problem in this country for the last 70 years is our Congress declaring war all willy-nilly like.  I mean, I agree with you Biff.  But the issue isn't Congress covering their financial ass.  They haven't been materially involved in any sort of military action declaration, save for one token Iraq vote, on anything since Korea and we've spent a few trillion and a tens of thousands of lives in the interim on POTUS-stroked bullshit.  

agreed and we should return to requiring congressional approval for military action of any consequence.  I'm tired of presidents playing GI Joe with our military.

1 hour ago, tantric superman said:

Be interesting to know the history of the Beto campaign, here and especially in the Senate, and find out who the fuck sunk his chance of winning with his utter failure to come up with a moderate immigration approach designed to give people who were predisposed to his style and approach a final policy position that would seal the deal.

Beto's immigration reform is ass and simply a return to the status quo which was already ass. His immigration reform is moderate and nothing more than a plan to roll back to Obama standards via executive order. Accepting Post-Dubya standards is pretty fucking worthless because another Trump will show up again and reverse direction via EO. Castro was spot on about decriminalizing border crossings and Beto wants to keep it illegal and just use discretion when prosecuting. This is how we ended up with children in concentration camps.

Other than skateboarding at Whataburger there has been nothing impressive about the Beto campaign.

War Tax! Fuck this guy.

41 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Because those are the taxpayer households sending their young people off to fight in these wars?  Wow, I can't believe a disassociated child-congressman from a wealthy white family in a military town doesn't grasp the plight of the nation when it comes to warfighting and warfunding.  It's impossible some of you are this naive.  

That said, Beto has been great on Veterans Affairs and should be playing that up on the campaign trail.  But he doesn't for some reason.  It's his only feather in his cap from his 20 minutes in Congress.  He was doing great work there before he realized modeling on top of IKEA furniture was his best path to the Oval.  

1. lower-middle class family tries to stay positive as their son gets deployed to meaningless war

2. son gets killed in meaningless war

3. family gets bill (tax) for $270

4. sends thank you note to president beto? 

is this what i'm reading?

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

1. lower-middle class family tries to stay positive as their son gets deployed to meaningless war

2. son gets killed in meaningless war

3. family gets bill (tax) for $270

4. sends thank you note to president beto? 

is this what i'm reading?

No.  Non-military families.  Not sure how far out that extends though.

8 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

ok got it.

so not terrible and ironic.  just terrible.

thanks for the heads up.

I believe the wording used for exemptions is "military households" so if the child is married its possible the parents would still get a bill.

2 minutes ago, F250 said:

I believe the wording used for exemptions is "military households" so if the child is married its possible the parents would still get a bill.

doubt he would tax grieving mothers.  the war tax is dumb but it's not heartless.

Just now, bad_teammate said:

Making the care of veterans contingent on "actually pay(ing) for something" is what prompts the "fuck you".

We should pay for it with debt or future taxes or whatever else and we should do it comprehensively right now regardless of revenue neutrality.

Isn't his proposal forward looking? Between paying for something or not paying for something, I like paying for something.

We should provide top medical care, including mental health care, to all veterans. Period. We should generally fund government expenditures through taxes.

8 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

So you aren't actually against funding veteran's care via debt and future taxes? I am very confused.

I'm not going to engage with this. Read his plan. Read what I said. None of what I said should be controversial unless you're looking for a fight.

10 hours ago, Blotto said:

Beto got some real bad advice on this one. Never let an excuse to declare a new tax pass you by. WTF....

It's going to be a goddamn competition among the Dems to see who can spend more money on shit to buy votes. Free college, erase student loans, basic living stipend, free healthcare for all, reparations, war tax. This is how you make a race against trump close.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/24/politics/beto-orourke-war-tax-veterans-plan/index.html

hqdefault.jpg

This is fantastically weird proposal.  I'm going to guess he has some experience or numbers while he was working on the Vets Affairs committee which convinced him this was some sort of good strategy but it's so hard to get out and message behind.  I think he'll be deflecting a lot now when he should be planning to go on offense in the debates.

FWIW, I think if it was spun differently, folks wouldn't be as negative on it.  War and tax, two words that most think are 4 letter words.  Now, Vets Trust Fund?  Sounds better.  He'll really need better messaging on it.

On Monday, O’Rourke called for the creation of a Veterans Health Care Trust Fund (VHCTF) for each war the country fights, designed to ensure veterans’ care is “always funded.” The trust fund would be expected to help cover costs related to hospital care, medical services, disability compensation and other veterans’ programs.

10 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

This is fantastically weird proposal.  I'm going to guess he has some experience or numbers while he was working on the Vets Affairs committee which convinced him this was some sort of good strategy but it's so hard to get out and message behind.  I think he'll be deflecting a lot now when he should be planning to go on offense in the debates.

FWIW, I think if it was spun differently, folks wouldn't be as negative on it.  War and tax, two words that most think are 4 letter words.  Now, Vets Trust Fund?  Sounds better.  He'll really need better messaging on it.

Sure.  Another "fund" for Republicans to raid while in office to cover shortfalls for falling revenues due to tax cuts. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

What will be the first presidential election in which no candidate campaigns on getting troops out of Iraq and/or Afghanistan?  I'd put the over/under at 2040.

6 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I really think Beto got the best draw out of any candidate re: the debates. He's center stage next to Warren and expectations aren't particularly high. He has a chance to make some noise tonight. 

Beto should just do a full heel-turn. Whatever he's doing isn't working, become the bad guy.

Come out in leather pants and a leather vest and a black bandana (no shirt). Wear sunglasses the whole time. Shawn Michaels walk out music. Interrupt constantly and hire Anthony Jeselnik to write some good lines.

SECTION 1325!
tenor.gif

haha this is, accurate to say the least.

Julian absolutely took full advantage and fucked him on it, kudos to Julian, but I actually agree with Beto on this one. He took it full face and handled the face fucking as best as one can honestly.

But I think Beto is right on this one. The two biggest surges to the border were a result of people thinking Obama was going to grant unaccompanied minors citizenship on arrival and Trump yelling from the rooftop that the time to cross the border is now cuz I’m about to shit that shit down.

I could only imagine what would happen if we let the world know that we no longer had the ability to criminally prosecute anyone who crossed the border illegally. Discretion is one of the most important tools we have as a society, don’t fuck us like mandatory minimums did.

As an idealist, I say repeal 1325. From a pragmatic perspective, now is not the right time.

Priority no. 1 is legislatively and executively burning the policy that is family separation to the fucking ground.

the bottom line is that someone needed to come out and own the perception of being the "border solution guy" and beto failed to do that tonight.

pete stole his early momentum of being the fresh-faced upstart.  now castro is pick-pocketing his talking points.

he'll need some help in the next month or he's a dead man walking come july 30th.

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

the bottom line is that someone needed to come out and own the perception of being the "border solution guy" and beto failed to do that tonight.

pete stole his early momentum of being the fresh-faced upstart.  now castro is pick-pocketing his talking points.

he'll need some help in the next month or he's a dead man walking come july 30th.

He's already dead man walking; the moment passed fortunately or unfortnately depending on how you felt about him as the D candidate. Crazier things have happened in the past, but not with a field of 20. His big debate moment is to become the butt of a meme that makes Booker look good/has a sense of humor, if that tells you all you need to know.

Edited by Rougarou