Beto 2020

bad_teammate

Beto's not dead yet, but he's having trouble finding a lane and there's too much traffic in front of him right now. 

"Policy guy" Beto can't compete with Warren.  He needs Buttigieg to falter, which is tough because Pete is pretty disciplined. 

Still plenty of time, but Beto needs to stand out during the debates.  I really think he should focus more on immigration/border/kids in cages. He has the opportunity to display leadership with these issues. 

On 6/7/2019 at 4:36 PM, happyfunball said:

Pic reminds me of the Seinfeld episode with Bizarro Jerry and he has those three friends Feldman, Kevin, and Gene. And after they all meet up in the street, Elaine chooses the bizarro crew and walks away.  And George runs to her and asks if he can come with and be better?  She says no, we already have a George.  

In this case Robert, we’ve already got a Pete.  

Buttigieg shoplifted Beto’s mojo by going on a national media blitz and performing well in front of a camera.  Beto brings a ton of energy and moral clarity while Pete appears to be the more nuanced and polished candidate.  

Beto could recover but I don’t see it happening.  He still has a bright future as a political leader. 

On 6/10/2019 at 1:09 PM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Buttigieg shoplifted Beto’s mojo by going on a national media blitz and performing well in front of a camera.  Beto brings a ton of energy and moral clarity while Pete appears to be the more nuanced and polished candidate.  

Beto could recover but I don’t see it happening.  He still has a bright future as a political leader. 

Nice assessment. He needs a little bit of luck. Im a big supporter and still am--though Warren's my number 1--but am more and more wishing he had ran against Cornyn. He could have kept a national profile in that race and stood a chance. Plus his organization would help put Texas in play for Pres. I like MJ a lot but Beto would have been even stronger. I kind of wish Beto would realize where things are and jump to the Senate race. MJ runs for Congress again. 

How'd he do on Colbert?

Edited by horncyclist
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, horncyclist said:

Nice assessment. He needs a little bit of luck. Im a big supporter and still am--though Warren's my number 1--but am more and more wishing he had ran against Cornyn. He could have kept a national profile in that race and stood a chance. Plus his organization would help put Texas in play for Pres. I like MJ a lot but Beto would have been even stronger. I kind of wish Beto would realize where things are and jump to the Senate race. MJ runs for Congress again. 

How'd he do on Colbert?

Agree with this 100%. TX 31 can be had in 2020 with the right candidate. WillCo is growing much faster than Bell, which is where she struggled in 18. She actually won WillCo. 

IMO, he absolutely pissed away his momentum by not declaring earlier and the beginning of his campaign (VF cover/article, weird dentist IG, etc) was a colossal fuck up and he's never been able to gain traction since.  I think people, who get to know him, like him but the national narrative or brand hit him early (mostly his fault) and he can't shake it.  I agree, he's not in this race, winning is a pipe dream, so running for a cabinet or VP choice is sort of his own best case scenario.  And even a VP scenario is probably tied to LIz winning.  I don't think the other white guys are going to go with another white guy for VP.  Biden is so tone deaf, he may go there but I think his campaign gets to him and he goes with a woman.  I expect if Biden, Bernie, or perhaps Pete (real long shot) win, they go with Kamala as the VP choice or even Klobacher.  If Liz wins then I think a lot of folks are on the board, same with Kamala although I would expect her to take a white male.  

• 2 weeks later...

I picture Jon Cryer following Charlie Sheen around in "Hot Shots" with the quote, "He's so complex!"  That's the basis of their shitty sitcom formula way back when and the shitty basis of Robert O'Rourke's shitty presidential campaign.  

Beto got some real bad advice on this one. Never let an excuse to declare a new tax pass you by. WTF....

Non-military households would pay a "war tax" to help cover the health care of veterans of newly-authorized wars under a plan Beto O'Rourke's campaign unveiled Monday.

The former Texas congressman and 2020 Democratic presidential contender's proposal is part of a series of health and economic measures aimed at improving care for veterans.

O'Rourke is in Tampa on Monday for a veterans' roundtable, where he is expected to discuss his plan for the first time. It comes before the Democratic field holds its first debate Wednesday and Thursday nights in Miami.

O'Rourke is also calling for an end to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, with half the money currently being spent there redirected to programs for veterans of those wars.

Money collected through the "war tax" -- which he is proposing for future wars -- would go into a new trust fund for veterans established at the outset of each war.

Households making less than $30,000 per year would pay $25; those making less than $40,000 would pay $57; those making less than $50,000 would pay $98; those making less than $75,000 would pay $164; those making less than $100,000 would pay $270; those making less than $200,000 would pay $485; and those making more than $200,000 would pay $1,000.

"This new tax would serve as a reminder of the incredible sacrifice made by those who serve and their families," O'Rourke's plan says.

It's going to be a goddamn competition among the Dems to see who can spend more money on shit to buy votes. Free college, erase student loans, basic living stipend, free healthcare for all, reparations, war tax. This is how you make a race against trump close.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/24/politics/beto-orourke-war-tax-veterans-plan/index.html

Edited by Blotto
  • Like 2

I don't mind paying more in taxes.  But that is something the government should be funding, period, without a special tax.  The U.S. government sends them to war? The U.S. government fucking pays for their benefits.  In fact, members of Congress should have to pay a tax out of their own pockets if they decide to send U.S. troops to war. 

• Like 1

Be interesting to know the history of the Beto campaign, here and especially in the Senate, and find out who the fuck sunk his chance of winning with his utter failure to come up with a moderate immigration approach designed to give people who were predisposed to his style and approach a final policy position that would seal the deal.

5 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I'm confused. So only $1,000 for any household making over 200k? Why is this proposed tax focused on mostly affecting middle and lower incomes? 

Cause that is where the household units are. ~ 10x more units in 40-100k range. 

Capture.jpg 

Special war tax on households is all kinds of dumb especially when the country is seriously divided on the wars. If you want a war tax, tax the bomb and bullet manufacturers as they are the only ones with a profit incentive for war.

• Like 4

Just now, troph said:

Special war tax on households is all kinds of dumb especially when the country is seriously divided on the wars. If you want a war tax, tax the bomb and bullet manufacturers as they are the only ones with a profit incentive for war.

Tax the people who vote for it and profit off it.  You want to send someone to war, Senator Cruz? Pay the fuck up.