Beto 2020

bad_teammate

2 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

If Beto is going to make a move, the time is now. He needs a nice little poll bump to gain some fundraising momentum. Kamala is fading fast at the moment, and Buttigieg's national polling numbers have plateaued for a couple of months. The VP positions are kinda up for grabs right now IMO

1 minute ago, horncyclist said:

Democrats can be such pussies. Only 30% of Americans own a gun. Something like 3% own an AR-15, if that. And for those they need these guns why? Not for hunting. ( Use a hiring rifle) Not for protection. (Handgun) Not to "guard against Tyranny." (fantasy and fucking stupid). It's so ignorant fucks can go shoot at a gun range. That's it. That's the sole practical utility for these things.

Well, fuck that. I'm fucking sick of a tiny minority group's entertainment getting priority over my right to go outside without getting shot, to send my kids to school knowing they'll come home. Beto's right and kudos to him for actually leading.

republicans are the kings of minority entitlement

2 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

Well, fuck that. I'm fucking sick of a tiny minority group's entertainment getting priority over my right to go outside without getting shot, to send my kids to school knowing they'll come home. Beto's right and kudos to him for actually leading.

Welcome to America, where the minority rules - whether it's the Senate, the Electoral College, or the 3% of Americans who actually own ARs and the Boomers. 

15 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

I guess this is it. But it's an emotional response to an event rather than a reasonable and well-developed position, and that's exactly the type of government we are living through currently - and I'm not fond of it.

That said I remember growing up in blue Texas and how the Luby's shooting and restrictive firearms laws turned Texas red in the 90s. Maybe this will swing it the other way.

I had completely forgotten about the Luby's shooting.  

Luby's shooting

11 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

Democrats can be such pussies. Only 30% of Americans own a gun. Something like 3% own an AR-15, if that. And for those, they need these guns, why? Not for hunting. ( Use a hiring rifle) Not for protection. (Handgun) Not to "guard against Tyranny." (fantasy and fucking stupid). It's so ignorant fucks can go shoot at a gun range. That's it. That's the sole practical utility for these things.

Well, fuck that. I'm fucking sick of a tiny minority group's entertainment getting priority over my right to go outside without worrying about getting shot, to send my kids to school knowing they'll come home. Beto's right and kudos to him for actually leading.

Yeah. I've been asked a few times why I own an AR and my response is always "because I can and because it's fun as hell". If you strip away all the BS, that's why people want them. Or at least it is for those who don't see their guns as extensions of their manhood and thus protect at all costs the feeling they get when holding them. But none of those things are compelling enough reasons to endanger our children and society with weapons of mass murder available to any maladjusted virgin dipshit with $500.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

Yeah. I've been asked a few times why I own an AR and my response is always "because I can and because it's fun as hell". If you strip away all the BS, that's why people want them. Or at least it is for those who don't see their guns as extensions of their manhood and thus protect at all costs the feeling they get when holding them. But none of those things are compelling enough reasons to endanger our children and society with weapons of mass murder available to any maladjusted virgin dipshit with $500.

Yep. But Chris Coons is worried about offending wackos. Id have to think the net political effect of wanting to take guns is a wash, at worst today. Just have an ounce of fucking courage, guys. Warren-Beto all the way.

• Like 2

So when the politicians use the phrase “weapons of war”, “battlefield weapons” etc, no one has concern the next in the spotlight for confiscation will be 9mm and .45’s?   Both also “battlefield weapons”, and immensely popular home and self defense calibers.

Fuck mandatory buy back and  confiscation. Voluntary buy backs need to happen. Even better if it can be done without my tax dollars. There’s going to be ALOT of people building bottom barrel AR’s to sell back if there’s any decent premium.  

24 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

So when the politicians use the phrase “weapons of war”, “battlefield weapons” etc, no one has concern the next in the spotlight for confiscation will be 9mm and .45’s?   Both also “battlefield weapons”, and immensely popular home and self defense calibers.

Fuck mandatory buy back and  confiscation. Voluntary buy backs need to happen. Even better if it can be done without my tax dollars. There’s going to be ALOT of people building bottom barrel AR’s to sell back if there’s any decent premium. 

Ah yes, the ol' slippery slope. Sandy Hook. Orlando. Las Vegas. El Paso. Fuck you, man. This isn't the world I want to live in.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

If someone manages to squeeze an extra $75 out of a rusty old M-16 they "found" the country will still be OK.  You should be more concerned with Pence spending your tax dollars at Trump's hotel.

5 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

Ah yes, the ol' slippery slope. Sandy Hook. Orlando. Las Vegas. El Paso. Fuck you, man. This isn't the world I want to live in.

Sorry about your unfounded fear.  You have 1000000x the chance of getting run over playing Lance Armstrong on the weekends but you already knew that.  And hey, you don’t gaf other peoples hobbies.  It’s ok to be selfish, when it fits your narrative.  So yeah, excuse me if I care less about your unfounded fear than you do mine. 

6 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Sorry about your unfounded fear.  You have 1000000x the chance of getting run over playing Lance Armstrong on the weekends but you already knew that.  And hey, you don’t gaf other peoples hobbies.  It’s ok to be selfish, when it fits your narrative.  So yeah, excuse me if I care less about your unfounded fear than you do mine. 

Eh, haven't really ridden my bike in years. Handle dates back to horn fans. 

Mass shootings have an impact far beyond the actual events and immediate victims. I had one happen 2 blocks from my house as a matter of fact. Affected the whole city, mass trauma. These arent just killings, they're acts of terrorism. And you're defending this cause...gun range fun? Tyranny? Slippery slope? Which is it?

1 minute ago, horncyclist said:

Eh, haven't really ridden my bike in years. Handle dates back to horn fans. 

Mass shootings have an impact far beyond the actual events and immediate victims. I had one happen 2 blocks from my house as a matter of fact. Affected the whole city, mass trauma. These arent just killings, they're acts of terrorism. And you're defending this cause...gun range fun? Tyranny? Slippery slope? Which is it?

Slippery slope.  

And I can’t find a single politician I trust from any party, ever.   Radio played Beto talking this AM, less than a year ago about “I’m not taking your guns - reform etc”.  Then “his” city gets shot up and he’s a joke in the polls and now, “IM COMING”.  Oh that bumped my #’s? Well then I’m real Fucking angry Fuck you bleh. Oh another bump?The only thing he has in common with the poor souls that perished that day is a zip code, if that.  He sure didn’t gaf when his in-laws were trying to push them out of their neighborhood for a buck.  Real genuine guy. 

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Slippery slope.  

And I can’t find a single politician I trust from any party, ever.   Radio played Beto talking this AM, less than a year ago about “I’m not taking your guns - reform etc”.  Then “his” city gets shot up and he’s a joke in the polls and now, “IM COMING”.  Oh that bumped my #’s? Well then I’m real Fucking angry Fuck you bleh. Oh another bump?The only thing he has in common with the poor souls that perished that day is a zip code, if that.  He sure didn’t gaf when his in-laws were trying to push them out of their neighborhood for a buck.  Real genuine guy. 

You don't see how having 22 people shot up at Walmart in your hometown that you represented in Congress for 6 years could cause someone to change positions? Or have the courage to say what you really belief?

And he's right. You buyback the guns, push back on the gun culture, and this shit stops. The reason it doesn't happen is because republicans have valued short term political gain over doing what's right...and 100% constitutional. It's time to stand up to that. People are pissed and Beto is speaking for them. Good for him.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

You don't see how having 22 people shot up at Walmart in your hometown that you represented in Congress for 6 years could cause someone to change positions? Or have the courage to say what you really belief?

I do. Which is my concern - his emotions.  What happens when the shooting happens with a shotgun (like Santa Fe) and now that’s the new devil.  Beto gets in his feels and my sport goes away?  

Also, this tough guy shit is an act.  He is the guy who apologizes everytime he’s not received well.  It’s for his #’s - and I don’t blame him for that, he’s a politician after all. But genuine, lol no. 

• Like 1

Just now, fattyflattie said:

I do. Which is my concern - his emotions.  What happens when the shooting happens with a shotgun (like Santa Fe) and now that’s the new devil.  Beto gets in his feels and my sport goes away?  

Also, this tough guy shit is an act.  He is the guy who apologizes everytime he’s not received well.  It’s for his #’s - and I don’t blame him for that, he’s a politician after all. But genuine, lol no. 

If there been mass shooting after Mass shooting with shot guns then we should consider banning those too. There hasn't been and won't be.

There's a difference between acting irrationally due to emotion and emotion jarring you into recognizing a rational position. The latter is what happened with Beto. 

• Like 1

Well, I guess we will see if it’s a winning strategy. I don’t think it will be.  Your first sentence explains it all, well if shooting start happening with X, we need to take X now. And Y next.   Lots of people on both sides own X and Y and no AR15. 

I wanted to add, people sending him threatening tweets is bullshit, but everyone knew would happen.  I expect it to be 1000x worse if anything actually comes of it. We have some twisted people in this country. 

10 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Well, I guess we will see if it’s a winning strategy. I don’t think it will be.  Your first sentence explains it all, well if shooting start happening with X, we need to take X now. And Y next.   Lots of people on both sides own X and Y and no AR15. 

I wanted to add, people sending him threatening tweets is bullshit, but everyone knew would happen.  I expect it to be 1000x worse if anything actually comes of it. We have some twisted people in this country. 

Yeah, twisted people with AR-15s, high capacity magazines and ready access to cheap ammo. I'd rather them not. The cost versus utility consideration between an ar-15 and a shotgun is completely different. 

13 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Again, am I lying? Or do you just have those few shootings?

The idea that the gunowning fucknut 3-5% of our population...in the age of information warfare and deepfake technology...that those guns are going to keep us from tyrrany. That's what I'm ridiculing. And btw, how'd we manage to avoid tyrrany up until the 90s when these guns started showing up in mass?

There are zero reasons to keep these guns in our society. I want them gone. 

Edited by horncyclist
  • Like 2

Up until a few years ago, I really respected the gun rights position, and I never would have supported any confiscation.   I've done a total 180.    Not simply because there have been more and more horrible mass shootings, but because I've lost a ton of respect for gun people.  I used to think they were largely reasonable folks, and I think that was true, back in the days when you could get some gun limits through Congress.   But their complete refusal in recent years to allow even minimal efforts to keep guns out of the wrong hands has been eye-opening.   And they're showing their true colors more and more, with these threats of violence in response to lawful legislative proposals. 

It's clear to me now that this whole thing is a weird fetish cult with very little that is redeeming about it.  And I get that gun owners don't give the slightest fuck about the collateral damage of their hobby, let alone my opinion about it.   But there's only so many people they can afford to alienate before the policy tide swings sharply against them. 

• Like 5

If I’ve said it once I’ve said it a thousand times. Texas is no different than the rest of the country - if the 18-22 crowd and non-whites show up to vote, then Texas can still be in play. Think about how many of these kids were 14-17 last election, and have lived through the stress of worrying about getting shot at school very recently.  It’s easier for the older generation, whose kids are long gone from high school, to pretend it’s not an issue. It’s a different story for the young voter who has recently lived it, in addition to all of the other Republican agenda that only help the boomer 1%. 

Maybe someone with kids around the same age will tell me I’m full of shit, and it hasn’t been a big enough issue to turn out the vote and support Beto’s anti-assault weapon platform (my kids are only 5, but you better believe they know what an active shooter or lockdown drill is). I have to believe the numbers (especially in urban areas) are there if the youngs actually turn out to vote.

I think Texas is ready to shift on this issue quicker than most people think. 

Edited by Planet Houston
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

I disagree - sweeping shit under the rug and not talking about it is worse for letting Trumpism fester. 

I guess we live in different circles. I’m down in Galveston/south east houston and all see on Facebook and at work is people who should be voting Democrat (young hispanics and whites) freaking out over losing their guns. 

3 hours ago, workswithseed said:

Again, am I lying? Or do you just have those few shootings?

As of Aug 31, 2019, there had been 297 mass shootings in the United States.

That's 1.2 per day.

That's not "a few."

And the ones involving assault rifles have the highest casualties.  But you know all of this.  You just don't give a shit.

Edited by TexArcher

3 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

Up until a few years ago, I really respected the gun rights position, and I never would have supported any confiscation.   I've done a total 180.    Not simply because there have been more and more horrible mass shootings, but because I've lost a ton of respect for gun people.  I used to think they were largely reasonable folks, and I think that was true, back in the days when you could get some gun limits through Congress.   But their complete refusal in recent years to allow even minimal efforts to keep guns out of the wrong hands has been eye-opening.   And they're showing their true colors more and more, with these threats of violence in response to lawful legislative proposals. 

It's clear to me now that this whole thing is a weird fetish cult with very little that is redeeming about it.  And I get that gun owners don't give the slightest fuck about the collateral damage of their hobby, let alone my opinion about it.   But there's only so many people they can afford to alienate before the policy tide swings sharply against them. 

FWIW, I agree with all of this.

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

As of Aug 31, 2019, there had been 297 mass shootings in the United States.

That's 1.2 per day.

That's not "a few."

And the ones involving assault rifles have the highest casualties.  But you know all of this.  You just don't give a shit.

Okay now give me numbers of people who died in a gulag

39 minutes ago, Pancho said:

giphy.gif

Why don't you answer my question?