New Houston Restaurant Recommendations

Jimbaround

Also at at Flemings on W Alabama last week because my son wanted steak.  

Jesus the crowd there was awful.  Bunch of slobs wearing t shirts and athletic shorts for a Friday night dinner.  Not going back.  Food was decent.  Wine still way overpriced and the servers don’t know shit about it. 

They should have a dress code.  At least jeans and a collared shirt.  

7 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Jesus the crowd there was awful.  Bunch of slobs wearing t shirts and athletic shorts for a Friday night dinner.  Not going back.  Food was decent.  Wine still way overpriced and the servers don’t know shit about it. 

Definitely in a nice part of town... but if there’s no dress code in Houston, that’s going up happen. There’s no middle ground. It’s either face tats or everybody is wearing a suit. 

I think a collared shirt and pants is a reasonable basement.

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 3

20 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

I'm amazing you decided to go there. I haven't been there since I was in my early 30's and it never would have crossed my mind in a million years to go there.

The slobs abound surprises me zero, however. I mean, we went to Pappas downtown two weekends prior (Westheimer was all booked up when we tried a week out for reservations) and there was still plenty of noveau rich clowns wearing T-shirts and hideous, not formal attire. I'm pretty sure we were the outlier, and I was just wearing jeans and a dress shirt and a sports coat. 

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm amazing you decided to go there. I haven't been there since I was in my early 30's and it never would have crossed my mind in a million years to go there.

The slobs abound surprises me zero, however. I mean, we went to Pappas downtown two weekends prior (Westheimer was all booked up when we tried a week out for reservations) and there was still plenty of noveau rich clowns wearing T-shirts and hideous, not formal attire. I'm pretty sure we were the outlier, and I was just wearing jeans and a dress shirt and a sports coat. 

Had not been their in probably 10 years.  I like Pappas for steak in Houston.  And I go to Vic and Anthony's frequently because my best friend has more Landry's club points than he could ever spend and the bar with the lounge singer is a good place to relax with a drink while we order crab legs.

I won't ever go back to Flemings.

On 5/22/2021 at 3:58 PM, Bender Bending Rodriguez said:

Did they move for a third time or is this a second location?

I think its their 3rd location. They were in the house on Post Oak, then moved over to across San Felipe/Post Oak (never went to this location). This is definitely a different look than the original location. Food was very good and the service was excellent. They were apparently really struggling during Covid, but Tony (I'm guessing - its an older guy and not Russell the younger guy) said that since restrictions were lifted a few weeks ago they have been at capacity. Hopefully they make it, I'll definitely go back.

37 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

I think its their 3rd location. They were in the house on Post Oak, then moved over to across San Felipe/Post Oak (never went to this location). This is definitely a different look than the original location. Food was very good and the service was excellent. They were apparently really struggling during Covid, but Tony (I'm guessing - its an older guy and not Russell the younger guy) said that since restrictions were lifted a few weeks ago they have been at capacity. Hopefully they make it, I'll definitely go back.

Interesting menu. A chicken chop can be the best piece of chicken you've ever tasted if prepared correctly. The duck breast looks a little pricey, but interesting. 

I'm glad they dropped the "bison ribeye" from their menu. It wasn't a ribeye, not even close. It was a small filet wrapped in bacon. Pretty unremarkable for the price. 

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Bistro 555 on Memorial. Definitely making noise as the best French restaurant in Houston, in my opinion. 

Good enough endorsement for the wife and I to give it a shot. Thanks. Have you tried Chez Nous in Humble? Very unassuming small house in an old neighborhood type place that’s fantastic and typically calls for reservations a good bit in advance. We really enjoyed it. 

https://cheznousfrenchrestaurant.com

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bender Bending Rodriguez said:

Good enough endorsement for the wife and I to give it a shot. Thanks. Have you tried Chez Nous in Humble? Very unassuming small house in an old neighborhood type place that’s fantastic and typically calls for reservations a good bit in advance. We really enjoyed it. 

https://cheznousfrenchrestaurant.com

I haven’t tried that one. 

555 is a tiny restaurant. About 10 tables with a kitchen in the middle. 

Couldn’t get into Blue Dorn for the anniversary last week since it was their first day back from a break (did Da Marco instead), but we’re going this week instead. Anything with getting or not getting? 

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Couldn’t get into Blue Dorn for the anniversary last week since it was their first day back from a break (did Da Marco instead), but we’re going this week instead. Anything with getting or not getting? 

Is Blue Dorn the McDowell’s version of Bludorn?

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
56 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Georgia James and Hay Merchant are leaving the corner of Westheimer and Yoakum. GJ is relocating to the apartments/dining complex going up at W Dallas and Dunlavy and Hay Merchant is closing. No word on plans for the building they're in.

Hay Merchant is a blow. I had some great Willett single barrel pours there. 

4 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

we hit Bludorn last week for the first time, and found it to be spectacular.  I loved the wine list possibly more than any wine list i have seen in quite some time.  Lots of great options, and relatively sane prices.  All the food was tremendous.  

going tomorrow night for the first time.  looking forward to it.

1 hour ago, Storm the Field said:

Georgia James and Hay Merchant are leaving the corner of Westheimer and Yoakum. GJ is relocating to the apartments/dining complex going up at W Dallas and Dunlavy and Hay Merchant is closing. No word on plans for the building they're in.

I'm concerned that Chris is trying to do too much too fast. If the initial impression of Georgia James Tavern downtown is any indication of how he's going to handle all these changes and growth, I'm worried about his burgeoning empire.

I think Chris Shepherd will do fine with all of the following he has. I pretty much don't ever go to any his restaurants other than Hay Merchant because they are all so damn expensive. Hell, even Hay Merchant is now charging $24 for a muffaletta and $18 for a philly cheese steak - it's getting ridiculous.

I swear Chris Shepherd could open a hotdog stand and charge $12 for a hotdog ($16 with chili) and people would be lined up.

11 hours ago, Fat Bastard said:

Hitting up Joey Uptown on Friday. Anyone been? Pretty sure it’s a Canadian based chain. Perused their menu and looks like everything is overpriced by 20%, but hey, wife wants to “check it out”

Went there a couple of weeks ago to meet a co-worker that was staying across the street at the JW. It was fine. Nothing to write home about. At that time all of the staff was from their locations in Canada and California. 

On 5/22/2021 at 9:02 AM, HoustonHorn said:

"New" Masraff's on I-10 is great. Food was excellent and the service was fantastic. Meatball and Fried Green Tomatoes for appetizers. Both great. I had the short rib, my wife had the red snapper and both were delicious. Creamed Corn and Brussels sprouts for sides. Sticky Toffee pudding for dessert. New location is more modern than the old one on Post Oak. Seafood heavy menu, but something for everyone.

Agreed. Really enjoyed it. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...