New Houston Restaurant Recommendations

Jimbaround

3 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

UB burger is good, but $21 for a burger and fries is up there. That said, its a top 5 burger in the city for me. Although the best burger in the heights area still belongs to Peaky Grinders

That burger had potential (tried PG on Sat night) but it was like, lukewarm.  The taste was there though. 

3 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

UB burger is good, but $21 for a burger and fries is up there. That said, its a top 5 burger in the city for me. Although the best burger in the heights area still belongs to Peaky Grinders

I thought PG was good, but it did nothing that made me think it was near the best burger I’ve had in Houston. Fresh and tasty? Sure but I also kinda wished I had gotten the hot dog after seeing it next to my burger. 

4 hours ago, elfenix said:

$15+ for burger has been a thing for a while in this town. Noticed it back when oil was sitting at $100 about 10 years ago. Even a Whataburger double with cheese is like $10 now.

went to JBL burger, two burgers, fries, drinks - $40 and that's in the Gessner hood

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Everybody’s going to have their own opinion, but I like sourdough bun. As long as the patty isn’t some frozen piece of shit and they cook it correctly, it’s pretty hard to screw it up. That’s not worth $15. You can go eat a pretty good lunch steak at Barnaby’s for the same amount.

I'm not sure what exactly a "lunch steak" is, per se, but if the idea is you're eating some kind of cheap as shit cut of steak at lunch for $15 akin to salisbury steak day I remember from elementary school, well, I'm of the opinion that there is no such thing as "a pretty good lunch steak." Go to a steakhouse that has solid lunch deals, double the amount, and have a just plain old steak. 

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm not sure what exactly a "lunch steak" is, per se, but if the idea is you're eating some kind of cheap as shit cut of steak at lunch for $15 akin to salisbury steak day I remember from elementary school, well, I'm of the opinion that there is no such thing as "a pretty good lunch steak." Go to a steakhouse that has solid lunch deals, double the amount, and have a just plain old steak. 

They call it a "flatiron steak". 

Flatiron is a good cut.

There are 6 new restaurants opening in the Montrose Collective
 https://houston.eater.com/2022/1/26/22902565/new-houston-restaurants-montrose-collective

Chelsea Oyster Bar

Graffiti Raw, a casual restaurant noted on the layout, will offer light fare with fire-grilled proteins and a vibe reminiscent of both Venice Beach, California and Tulum, Mexico. Though he declined to name the man behind the new spot, Radom emphasized that it’s a well-known Houston-based restaurateur. A certificate of formation for Graffiti Raw, LLC, lists Grant Cooper — behind restaurants Brasserie 19, Gratify, and Coppa Osteria — as the manager.

Austin-based Picnik, known for its options that cater to various diets, including keto, paleo, vegetarian, and gluten-free, will open a full-service restaurant — with highlights being weekend brunch, pressed juices, and cocktails, which include zero-proof alcohol options.

Baltimore’s Atlas Restaurant Group will open Italian chophouse, Marmo, by the end of March — offering diners an assortment of salads, fresh pasta dishes, charcuterie and live music by its horseshoe-shaped cocktail bar.

New York-based ice cream company Van Leeuwen is slated to serve scoops there, too — opening in its third Houston location in the collective within the next month. (Owner Ben Leeuwen told Eater on Tuesday that there’s going to be a special Texas-themed flavor. More on that, to come!)

Dallas-owned establishments will also claim space. La La Land Kind Cafe, a charming coffee shop known for its festive drinks and heartfelt mission, and Chelsea Oyster Bar, will open later this year. The oyster bar will partner with a well-known local chef, though Radom also declined to name him.

Edited by mycox

• 1 month later...
On 1/25/2022 at 5:57 PM, mycox said:

I stopped frequenting Hay Merchant as much as a used to because Chris Shepherd ruined it. He turned into another one of his overpriced restaurants. Hopefully someone does something good with that building. We shall see how Everlong Bar & Hideaway (UB Preserve location) turns out to be, but doesn't sound too promising.

I went to Georgia James Tavern a couple of weeks ago and the food was good, but still overpriced.

Shepherd bailing on Everlong before it even gets off the ground. New record for him bailing on a concept before it even opens. I'm sad to see him completely bail on Montrose. Wouldn't surprise me if he has overextended himself financially.

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/02-28-22-everlong-bar-hideway-canceled-underbelly-hospitality-chris-shepherd/

On 1/18/2022 at 9:47 AM, Doug E. Fresh said:

Both those places are great for food as well. I mention Sorrento (and Da Marco) because it fits the "quaint/classic" atmosphere better than those two, which have a much more casual feel.

I love Sorrento. Obviously Da Marco is better, but Sorrento is a bit more laid back 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/26/2022 at 1:21 PM, elfenix said:

$15+ for burger has been a thing for a while in this town. Noticed it back when oil was sitting at $100 about 10 years ago. Even a Whataburger double with cheese is like $10 now.

Southwell's is still a great deal 

Finally tried Underbelly burger.  $52 for 2 combos.  If it was great, would have said that's pricey but great and gone back.

Southwells, buffs burgers, feges, and mia's are four joints off the top of my head  with better burgers that are less expensive and more convenient to get to from where I live.  Have to believe this place will be goners within 2 years at that value.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/1/2022 at 2:21 PM, royiv said:

Shepherd bailing on Everlong before it even gets off the ground. New record for him bailing on a concept before it even opens. I'm sad to see him completely bail on Montrose. Wouldn't surprise me if he has overextended himself financially.

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/02-28-22-everlong-bar-hideway-canceled-underbelly-hospitality-chris-shepherd/

I shouldn't talk bad about Chris Shepherd. He treats his employees well and I'm sure he has to charge more for food to pay for the cost. He also does a good job helping the industry workers with Southern Smoke,

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, mycox said:

I shouldn't talk bad about Chris Shepherd. He treats his employees well and I'm sure he has to charge more for food to pay for the cost. He also does a good job helping the industry workers with Southern Smoke,

I feel the exact same way. I know someone who works for him and they have nothing but good things to say about him. I donate to Southern Smoke as I think it's a great cause. Every time my wife and I encounter him in our neighborhood, he's a great guy. All that said, I'm afraid that he's making some bad business decisions and totally bailing on what made him successful in the first place. I hope I'm wrong because he's a good guy and a lot of people's livelihood depend on his company.

13 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

Austin's Clark's seafood and oyster is going to open on the corner of Montrose and Alabama.  I'm a fan of this move.  

Pretty excited about this one. Drove by the other day and it looks like they're already working on it. 

Attended Georgia James in their temporary space in the church saturday night before the LSU game.  The oyster appetizer is insanely good.  I had the ribeye that was cooked as perfectly as a ribeye can be cooked.  THat said, the seasoning was really uneven.  Way too salty in some parts, and not enough in others.  All sides were exceptional.  Only issue was wine.  Their list is a bit abbreviated since they're in a temporary space.  Fine.  I get it.  That said they had the ultimate wine issue that drives me freaking insane.  Had a 2015 vintage on the list, and bring out a 2016.  Goddamn it.  How hard is it to understand your vintages and put the right ones on the list?  That is a decision point for me, and often an incredibly important one.  

• Like 1

The Jonathan's the Rub on Memorial has really hit its stride. Definitely worth checking out. The Bacon Chipotle Pork is amazing. Meatball Bruschetta is a fantastic appetizer. The smaller menu really lets them focus on the quality and its highly recommended. The Campbell location was good when we went about a month ago, but the Memorial Green location has knocked it out of the park.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, HoustonHorn said:

The Jonathan's the Rub on Memorial has really hit its stride. Definitely worth checking out. The Bacon Chipotle Pork is amazing. Meatball Bruschetta is a fantastic appetizer. The smaller menu really lets them focus on the quality and its highly recommended. The Campbell location was good when we went about a month ago, but the Memorial Green location has knocked it out of the park.

Had brunch there yesterday. Great place and great service as always. When my wife isn't on the road, she camps out there with her laptop on most days. 

20 hours ago, Da Fino said:

Had brunch there yesterday. Great place and great service as always. When my wife isn't on the road, she camps out there with her laptop on most days. 

Yeah, the old location had a huge menu and massive portions and while it was good, it didn't feel refined. They were just doing too much. Plus it was small and cramped. The new smaller menu and more reasonable portions are a huge improvement. Took a little bit to get going at the Memorial location (and the time I've been to the recently-opened Campbell location it was good but not great as well), but wow they are killing it now. The bacon-wrapped chipotle pork tenderloin is amazing.

Also, the Hot Chicken Sandwich next door at Dish Society is also fantastic. That place is hit or miss for me, but that sandwich is pretty remarkable.

I went to Sam's Boat Sunday with friends and our kids to sit on the deck and eat crawfish.  Have not been there in decades.  Their crawfish was amazing.  And price was reasonable.

I was skeptical when my buddy suggested it.  But I highly recommend.  I live walking distance from Bayou City and Rajun Cajun, and Sam's Boat was better and cheaper.

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I went to Sam's Boat Sunday with friends and our kids to sit on the deck and eat crawfish.  Have not been there in decades.  Their crawfish was amazing.  And price was reasonable.

I was skeptical when my buddy suggested it.  But I highly recommend.  I live walking distance from Bayou City and Rajun Cajun, and Sam's Boat was better and cheaper.

Did they still serve pitchers with a plastic bag full of ice inside the pitcher? That shit is disgusting. 

18 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I don't know.  I don't buy pitchers anywhere.

We were drinking bottles.  And they were ice cold.

Craft pitchers at Postino are $6 before 6p.

Just posting that for others I guess.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I don't know.  I don't buy pitchers anywhere.

We were drinking bottles.  And they were ice cold.

Good call sticking to longnecks. Sam’s Boat is great, but the word is definitely out. It’s always packed in decent weather.

The Richmond location is the best one, but I’ll only eat at Ragin’ Cajun if somebody else is paying. Their gumbo and jambalaya is decent, but their crawfish are always small and expensive. Their Thanksgiving catering is pretty good. 

17 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Good call sticking to longnecks. Sam’s Boat is great, but the word is definitely out. It’s always packed in decent weather.

The Richmond location is the best one, but I’ll only eat at Ragin’ Cajun if somebody else is paying. Their gumbo and jambalaya is decent, but their crawfish are always small and expensive. Their Thanksgiving catering is pretty good. 

The weather was perfect Sunday and we were one of about 4 tables on the patio at noon.  Spring Break has this part of town cleared out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/15/2022 at 10:27 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

Richmond Arms is dead to me. We went recently and they dropped their shepherds pie and curry from their menu. They were also 86’d on London Pride. Their menu basically consists of fish and chips, burgers now. 

I would recommend the Red Lion for your English Pub fix. 

Last time I went to Red Lion, their chicken tikka was almost $30

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fud said:

What’s good now downtown (not midtown or montrose) nowadays for a date night that’s not a steakhouse or Xochi?

Potente for a nice date night. Kokoro is fun at Bravery Chef Hall. Wife and I have recently had two really good meals at the ceviche bar at Andes Cafe at Post.