How Fox News works

retread

18 hours ago, TornACL said:

Meh, I don't know. 

The idea of refugees being an undue burden is more human nature than Fox News. Fox News plays on those inherent territorial fears people have. I also don't believe in this phenomenon of Fox News talking points somehow seeping into mainstream and being absorbed by non-watchers. More likely, people who don't admit to being Fox News viewers are Fox News viewers.

It's not just fox news, it's the right wing radio brigade and of course Facebook.  They're one in the same.

Program directors and producers are all feeding the same messages and tag lines.  We've seen now that trickle down economics may not work, but trickle down manipulation works on a very large scale.

I've seen high school kids repeat fox talking points, and I guarantee you they're not looking up clips or purposely watching it on tv. They hear it, repeat it, then for whatever reason now think they have to defend it.  Then start down that hole of defending what you said, that you may or may not have agreed with in the first place, because you never really gave it much thought.  You just thought it sounded good to say something that may take a stand on some issue.

Edited by SameSame
  • Like 3

It's not just fox news, it's the right wing radio brigade and of course Facebook.  They're one in the same.
Program directors and producers are all feeding the same messages and tag lines.  We've seen now that trickle down economics may not work, but trickle down manipulation works on a very large scale.
I've seen high school kids repeat fox talking points, and I guarantee you they're not looking up clips or purposely watching it on tv. They hear it, repeat it, then for whatever reason now think they have to defend it.  Then start down that hole of defending what you said, that you may or may not have agreed with in the first place, because you never really gave it much thought.  You just thought it sounded good to say something that may take a stand on some issue.

Yep.

Shit, social media accounts geared towards fratty college boys like Old Row and Vintage Frat parrot the same MAGA talking points on their Instagram and Twitter FFS.

The shit is insidious.

3 hours ago, SameSame said:

Good to hear the young finally seeing and hearing the vitriol the left is pushing.

Just wanted to check in to share that a friend of my Dad's informed me that Shepherd Smith is fake news, since he's "anti-Trump" rather than middle of the road.

The news guy. On Fox News.

I responded... "Maybe he's middle of the road, and that's an anti-Trump place to be?"

1 hour ago, NWBuck said:

Just wanted to check in to share that a friend of my Dad's informed me that Shepherd Smith is fake news, since he's "anti-Trump" rather than middle of the road.

The news guy. On Fox News.

I responded... "Maybe he's middle of the road, and that's an anti-Trump place to be?"

I've heard the same. I can't wrap my head around it.

I've heard the same. I can't wrap my head around it.

It’s pretty simple. They live in a simplistic, binary world. There are only two kinds of people: those who are 100% devoted and loyal to Trump at all times, and everyone else, who are libtards.

I thought everyone around here understood this by now.

• Like 2

You are correct. Again, I can't wrap my head around it. I wish I could write it off as a one-off of a few of the right, but the vast majority don't like Shep because he doesn't cut Trump any slack and will call him on his lies. 

It's fascinating in an odd can't look away from a horrific car crash as you drive down the highway.

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

It’s pretty simple. They live in a simplistic, binary world. There are only two kinds of people: those who are 100% devoted and loyal to Trump at all times, and everyone else, who are libtards.

I thought everyone around here understood this by now.

That's how cults work.

• Like 1

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/04/i-gathered-stories-of-people-transformed-by-fox-news.html

This guy wrote an awesome read about people that blame fox news for changing someone in their life for the worse. 

No matter where the stories came from they all featured a few familiar beats: A loved one seemed to have changed over time. Maybe that person was already somewhat conservative to start. Maybe they were apolitical. But at one point or another, they sat down in front of Fox News, found some kind of deep, addictive comfort in the anger and paranoia, and became a different person — someone difficult, if not impossible, to spend time with. The fallout led to failed marriages and estranged parental relationships. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Skyline said:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/04/i-gathered-stories-of-people-transformed-by-fox-news.html

This guy wrote an awesome read about people that blame fox news for changing someone in their life for the worse. 

Sad read really.  Also,

You might start out signing up for a Fox email list or one from the president then quickly find your email being sold far and wide to increasingly less reputable charlatans.

less reputable charlatans than the president?

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Sad read really.  Also,

less reputable charlatans than the president?

The saddest part is the slow realization that you can't engage with people who are angry, and paranoid. 

There's plenty of less reputable charlatans. Alex Jones for one. The right wing for whatever reason attracts a lot of grifters and people willing to buy anything. Like the guy buying mushroom pills, convinced that it will cure his cancer. 

I can't imagine Dobbs even believed it.  He does the news every night.   He sees the polls every night.  They just haven't moved more than a point or two in a year.  What on earth would make him think it jumped 15% in a day or two?  That was not an error.  That was legitimate fake news.

Edited by SuingToGetAMessageBoard?

My parents are sadly Fox News viewers, like so many others here. I was pretty apolitical until sophomore/junior year of school, around the '08 election. But even then, while I was still pretty apathetic, I remember visiting home and a fox news talking head, I believe O'Reilly, was discussing the implications of Katy perry's "I kissed a girl" song. It was the dumbest fucking thing I've ever seen on the news, up to that point anyway. My parents know better than to keep it on when I visit now, but spending time in doctors lounges here in Texas (not a dr, btw), I get a few minutes of the right-wing talking points every day. What a horrible, dangerous, unfunny joke that network is.

• Like 2

Study:  Fox News is obsessed with AOC. A study found that the New York City Democrat was mentioned 3,181 times on Fox News Channel and its sister Fox Business Network during the six-week period of Feb. 25 to April 7, or just under 76 times a day. 

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/article/Study-Fox-News-is-obsessed-with-Alexandria-13765608.php

Edited by Horn Under a Bad Sign

7 minutes ago, Skyline said:

Good on Shep for stopping the speculation here: 

The French guy just got his time conversion wrong - had he gotten on Tucker, they would have gone full 4chan on the cause of that fire.

I don't necessarily think it's a bad idea for Dems to go on Fox News but they need to be prepared to call them out for their overt deceptions and bias. Maybe they should each ask why Sean Hannity hasn't apologized for the Seth Rich story nor explained his role in it, for example. Or ask why they reported that members of the caravan were bringing smallpox when there hasn't been a case of smallpox in 40 years. 

When Tucker looks at Mayor Pete, he gets very confused and isn’t sure about what he is feeling deep inside. So instead of confronting those feelings, he lashes out. It’s a very typical response for people that are like Tucker.

Mike Pence for example. He’s very conflicted about Mayor Pete.

• Haha 1