2019 MLB thread

spystud13

Yankees signed 16 year old Dominican superstar Jasson Dominguez today for $5 million. He’s the #1 ranked foreign prospect, and got the largest bonus ever given to an international amateur. Scouts pretty much unanimously have described him as a cross between Mike Trout & God. Remember the name.

Yankees signed 16 year old Dominican superstar Jasson Dominguez today for $5 million. He’s the #1 ranked foreign prospect, and got the largest bonus ever given to an international amateur. Scouts pretty much unanimously have described him as a cross between Mike Trout & God. Remember the name.

The $5 mill is nice the the real prize was the car and custom plates they gave him

a9f5c42bc243633afab7f4b4bb6c461b.jpg

Oops again...bottom of the 9th in LA last night with the D'backs holding a 4-3 lead:

73 ▼ 9 E Rios G Holland 0 ___ 3-4
Edwin Rios grounded out to shortstop.
Ball, Called Strike, Ball, Ground Out
3.30 0.44 9.9% -.081 -0.21
74 ▼ 9 A Barnes G Holland 1 ___ 3-4
Austin Barnes flied out to center.
Called Strike, Ball, Ball, Fly Out
2.42 0.23 4.1% -.058 -0.14
75 ▼ 9 C Taylor G Holland 2 ___ 3-4
Chris Taylor walked.
Foul Ball, Foul Ball, Ball, Ball, Ball, Walked
1.65 0.09 8.9% .048 0.12
76 ▼ 9 R Martin G Holland 2 1 3-4
Russell Martin walked. Chris Taylor advanced to 2B.
Swinging Strike, Ball, Ball, Ball, Foul Ball, Foul Ball, Walked
3.28 0.20 15.9% .070 0.20
77 ▼ 9 A Verdugo G Holland 2 12 3-4
Alex Verdugo walked. Chris Taylor advanced to 3B. Russell Martin advanced to 2B.
Ball, Ball, Ball, Called Strike, Walked
6.44 0.40 25.9% .100 0.32
78 ▼ 9 M Beaty G Holland 2 123 3-4
Matt Beaty walked. Chris Taylor scored. Russell Martin advanced to 3B. Alex Verdugo advanced to 2B.
Ball, Ball, Ball, Walked
10.72 0.73 65.2% .393 1.00
79 ▼ 9 C Bellinger T McFarland 2 123 4-4
Cody Bellinger walked. Russell Martin scored. Alex Verdugo advanced to 3B. Matt Beaty advanced to 2B.
Ball, Called Strike, Foul Ball, Ball, Ball, Walked
6.37 0.73 100.0% .348 1.00

21 hours ago, spystud13 said:

LaStella may have just broken his shin on a foul ball. 

Fuck. 

Los Angeles Angels All-Star infielder Tommy La Stella has a fractured right tibia and has been placed on the 10-day injured list, the team announced on Wednesday.

The typical timetable for a return to play after a fractured tibia is eight to 10 weeks, the Angels said in announcing the injury, which was revealed in a CT scan.

14 hours ago, Dewey said:

Again, no way Josh Bell ever makes it to the 40 acres.

I'm not an insider or one who has inroads to insiders. However, in the case of Josh Bell, I have excellent information. I know his mother & grandmother and can tell you with 99% surety that Josh will be in Austin this fall. There was never any ploy to get more money. After all the phone calls on draft day 1, he even changed his cell # to avoid further contact. The Pirates got ahold of his father anyway & was told that Josh's mind is made up - he's going to college. But they took a chance. It won't hold up. Josh will be in Austin for the 2nd summer session and is looking forward to playing for UT. 

There's a better chance that Maddog will represent the US in men's gymnastics in the next olympics than there is that Bell signs with the Pirates.

Again, people who think the actions of Bell and his family have been just a "Boras ploy" for more money are simply misinformed.

• Like 3

Apparently we should just talk about that situation because I don't think he was justified in arguing that. 

If he was still in the game when Bote got hit (which he wasn't) then I could have at that point seen justification of him flipping out and arguing.  

53 minutes ago, thestud said:

Why was it probably justified?

definitely see it as debatable.

I was just wondering what folks think of him.  Seems like he loves his own farts.  A lot.

22 minutes ago, thestud said:

Everything is debatable, but that’s not what you said. You said it’s “probably justified”, and I’d like to know why you think that.

Team has just lost 2 on the road.  I don't have a problem with a manager standing up for his team like that, as a wake up call.  If I was a Cubs fan I could see backing Joe on it.

As for the Pirates pitching high and inside? Therein lies the debatable part.  part of me says take the walk and STFU.  The other side says, "hey, you're a professional pitcher...control your fucking pitches." Obviously the headshot later says Pittsburgh was giving less than a full fuck about their pitches.

I didn't mean to say either side was right or wrong.   What is you opinion on Maddon in general?

Edited by slorch

Being a Cubs fan, I know he is a players manager, they all like him, but I have to wonder about his lax style. They have gone a season (last second half and this first half) of sucking on the road. They struggle against teams they shouldn't. The Reds have had our number several times, doesn't make sense.

As for the ejection, he has a point, those guys do nothing but throw up and in, to the point if he didnt get run, one of his players most likely charges.

Overall he's a hell of a manager and I'm not really sure why this is a point of discussion, managers get tossed for stuff like that all the time.

“Come and get us”

Everything I read about them, this fits right in. Love the Gm calling shots from the suite... I'm guessing one of the orders wasnt followed and they blew the game on Jerry's bobblehead night?

Welp. 

Brewers slugger Christian Yelich will not be participating in the T-Mobile Home Run Derby on Monday (8 p.m. ET on ESPN) due to a back injury. He will be replaced by A's All-Star Matt Chapman, who will assume Yelich's spot in the bracket and will face Blue Jays rookie Vladimir Guerrero Jr. in the first round.

6 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Sure.

You say it’s the one of the worst calls you’ve ever seen when it could not be any clearer that Lucroy held his position in front of the plate for the duration of the throw and Jake altered his path at the last minute to the inside for no apparent reason to force the collision to happen. Anyone with an ounce of baseball knowledge knows that path was irregular, he should have gone outside and the collision was completely avoidable. So...yeah. You’re wrong.

Edited by Henry Hill

1 minute ago, Henry Hill said:

You say it’s the one of the worst calls you’ve ever seen when it could not be any clearer that Lucroy held his position in front of the plate for the duration of the throw and Jake altered his path at the last minute to the inside for no apparent reason to force the collision to happen. Anyone with an ounce of baseball knowledge knows that path was irregular, he should have gone outside and the collision was completely avoidable. So...yeah. You’re wrong.

Sure. 

You can be right.