2019 MLB thread

spystud13

this is a flashback to last summer when someone said that Brad Hand would be no good for the Indians because he was finally going to face real teams in the AL...even though the NL West (where Hand had been pitching) had the highest win% of any division in baseball, and he was facing teams like the Dodgers and Dbacks on a regular basis. 

The idea that any baseball player's career or season stats are invalid because of a lack of competition is on its face one of the stupidest sports takes i've ever seen, and yet here we go again. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, thestud said:

Everyone put Helobatard on ignore. It won’t stop him from posting his stupidity, but at least it will limit its spread

nah, its important to hear him. When the collapse comes in October it will be so much fun you won't to miss it. 

I did not delve very deep into this, but a quick research attempt shows that 14 of Encarnacion's 24 homers this year have come with his team either behind by 2, tied or ahead by 2 runs. To me that does not sound like a guy feasting on Jimmy Bumblefuck who just got promoted from Triple A and is pitching in a blowout. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I did not delve very deep into this, but a quick research attempt shows that 14 of Encarnacion's 24 homers this year have come with his team either behind by 2, tied or ahead by 2 runs. To me that does not sound like a guy feasting on Jimmy Bumblefuck who just got promoted from Triple A and is pitching in a blowout. 

I try not to let facts and reason get in the way of raw emotions. 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, shnsajax said:

with a 26 run cut in the last two games, the O's still have the worst run differential in the league at -165.

That's crazy.

26 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

In 2013, Bobby Bo was their highest paid outfielder.

hm.  evidently they are still paying bret saberhagen too.  you never hear about that.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/new-york-mets/payroll/

Also shows 15 million to David Wright. I figured if a guy retires, anything left on his contract is dissolved. 

Top Hitters in June, by fWAR:

AL:

1) Trout (LAA), .320/.440/.641, 2.0 fWAR (Trout has led the AL in WAR every month this year)

2) LeMahieu (NYY), .395/.434/.658, 1.9 fWAR

3) Bogaerts (BOS), .313/.418/.606, 1.8 fWAR

t4) Gurriel Jr. (TOR), .337/.381/.683, 1.3 fWAR

t4) Chapman (OAK), .269/.361/.558, 1.3 fWAR

t4) Sogard (TOR), .374/.416/.604, 1.3 fWAR

t4) Kepler (MIN), .271/.364/.604, 1.3 fWAR

NL:

1) Yelich (MIL), .365/.437/.712, 1.8 fWAR

t2) Marte (ARI), .374/.412/.654, 1.7 fWAR

t2) Tatis Jr. (SD), .383/.457/.691, 1.7 fWAR (in only 21 games, dude is a monster)

t4) Acuna Jr. (ATL), .331/.403/.597, 1.6 fWAR

t4) Alonso (NYM), .307/.435/.653, 1.6fWAR

Honorable mention to Charlie Blackmon who posted a .412/.441/.835(!!!!!) in only 22 games this month. Coors.

6 hours ago, spystud13 said:

I'm not sure I'd ever seen the terms of that deal before.  It's usually just "herpderp lolmets."  For those terms, Bonilla is receiving an IRR of 7.64%.  Meh, getting that rate in 2000 isn't really worth all the attention it's received.  It sure beats the hell out of trusting your money to Madoff.