2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

5 minutes ago, texashorne said:

We have to add an arm in the next few weeks. 

Always embarrassing to drop a game to the Texas Senators, but wtf did Hinch expect trotting out a minor leaguer against their “ace”. Oh , yes, our lineup sucked tonight. Not sure it mattered who pitched.

Edited by Wishbone

starting framber tonight seems like more over-analyzing and manipulation of the rotation/lineup to "keep guys healthy for the playoffs" that we've been trying all year.
ironic, because our pets heads are constantly falling off.

It’s escalated from pets heads falling off to Bregman’s head getting knocked off.

5 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

My guess at the time was that they saw concussion symptoms. At least I hope. Bregs isn’t the kind of guy that would come out over a little blood.

This and the potential that he broke his jaw are my main concerns. I doubt we see him the lineup tonight regardless, but if it's just a chin laceration, my guess is he'll play at some point this weekend. 

15 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Anyone else getting the Mark Appel jitters?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

i'm not.

my fear with appel was that we already saw what he was at stanford - he was fully formed.  we didn't love him, and didn't pick him, the first time.  then there was nothing really better (in our eyes), so we picked him the second time, and nobody really thought it was a sexy or exciting pick.

as a high school pitcher, whitley has had to work through all the stuff college teaches you, but in the minors against people of all ages.

appel was already 22 when we picked him.  he was 24 when we "gave up on him" and traded him to philly.

whitley is just 21 right now, and has missed parts of seasons, so may even be a little behind on the developmental timeline.  apparently he's shown some immaturity this season, but he's also the youngest player in the pcl.

• Like 1

quick blurb on ba:

Forrest Whitley, RHP, Astros

Preseason: 5

STOCK is headed: Neutral

Whitley opened the season as the top pitching prospect in the game and entered the halfway point in the middle of one of the most disappointing seasons.

Before landing on the injured list with shoulder fatigue, Whitley made eight appearances (five starts) at Triple-A Round Rock and went 0-3, 12.21 with 29 strikeouts, 15 walks and nine home runs allowed in 24.1 innings.

Beyond the poor results, evaluators have consistently said that Whitley, who began the year as the youngest player in the Pacific Coast League, has displayed an immaturity on the mound so caustic that it has obfuscated his still-bright ceiling.

“His stuff was way down. In spring training, I saw a lot of stuff to like,” one scout said. “He looked great and like he was ready, and the kid I saw yesterday was a kid."

After a rough go in the hitter-friendly PCL, Whitley was sent back to the Astros’ minor league complex in Florida to work through his injury and get back on track. Once he returns, Whitley, a first-round pick in 2016, will need to do a lot of work to erase the poor first impression he made in Triple-A.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/forrest-whitley-2019-top-100-mlb-prospects-stock-watch/

5 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

100% he had a mild concussion. You saw it in his eyes 

there is no such thing as a mild concussion these days, if he's concussed, he's concussed. if he plays this weekend, there is no concussion and it's a laceration. if he doesnt play over the next few days, he'll be in the concussion protocol and likely out 7-10 days until he's asymptomatic 

Not sure of a concussion but I guarantee Bregs had a hard time opening his mouth this morning.  I got hit by a baseball (not as hard) the same way in HS, it jars the jaw hinges in such a way that the next day it’s very uncomfortable and feels downright strange.  I’d bet he plays tonight if he has the say.

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

apparently he's shown some immaturity this season, but he's also the youngest player in the pcl.

if you read Jeff Lunhow's comments when he was sent to Florida from RR he all but confirmed this. He may have been sent to Florida at least partially to get him away from his high school buddies who he likes to party with in Austin. I'm sure as a 21 year old with some cash I would want to do the same thing.  RR might not be an ideal location for him at this stage.

"He's disappointed with how he's performed and I think this will be a good opportunity for him to take stock in where everything is and work with our pitching coaches and not be distracted by (pitching) 60 miles from his hometown," Luhnow said Wednesday....

Edited by MAROON

14 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

this isn't good 

whitley really screwed the pooch this year by missing his window to step up. same for tucker last year. whitley has been injured / hurt every season since signing

i don't know about screwed the pooch.  from personal standpoints, sure.  they may be kicking themselves.

but if you're looking at from a team/fan standpoint, i'm fine with what's going on.  unless we were hoping to trade them, nothing they've been doing has hurt the team's chances to win.