2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

31-18 sets a new astros season wins record.

let's go.

31-18 happens to be exactly what we’re on pace for... currently .646 winning percentage over the first 113 games.

Extrapolate that out and we’ll end up with 31 more wins

But the schedule we have the rest of the way...and the roster we now have...that seems light.

A third of our remaining games are at home against the AL West...of whom we are 20-2 against so far this season at MMP. (Yeah yeah that probably means some regression is about to happen)

But the rest of our non-division opponents includes 2 game sets against the Brewers and Rockies and a 3 game series against the Rays. After that, it’s the 5 worst teams in the AL.

1 minute ago, UTexasFight said:

31-18 happens to be exactly what we’re on pace for... currently .646 winning percentage over the first 113 games.

Extrapolate that out and we’ll end up with 31 more wins

But the schedule we have the rest of the way...and the roster we now have...that seems light.

A third of our remaining games are at home against the AL West...of whom we are 20-2 against so far this season at MMP. (Yeah yeah that probably means some regression is about to happen)

But the rest of our non-division opponents includes 2 game sets against the Brewers and Rockies and a 3 game series against the Rays. After that, it’s the 5 worst teams in the AL.

when they asked de-ro this morning on mlbn what he thought we'd do in our last 49, he said, "i don't know, 40 and 9?"

How about the fact that the Mariners could win all of their remaining games and still not catch us if we play .500 ball the rest of the way.

Wake me up when the Mariners could win all of their remaining games and still not catch us if we lose all of our games the rest of the way. It’s not that far off.

when they asked de-ro this morning on mlbn what he thought we'd do in our last 49, he said, "i don't know, 40 and 9?"

Ha I started to say “give me 110 wins” in response to your post but then realized that would mean 37-12 (.755) which seemed a bit aggressive...but when you have that lineup, that top 4 in the rotation and a 5th that hasn’t allowed a hit in an Astros uniform, maybe not?

Wake me up when the Mariners could win all of their remaining games and still not catch us if we lose all of our games the rest of the way. It’s not that far off.

What’s crazy is that we think the mariners as one of the worst teams in the league (and they are), but they’re still better than 4 other teams in the AL and not far from the White Sox. (Yeah, 14-3 start blah blah but they all still count.)
I guess the point being the AL West, record-wise, is a lot better than I would have guessed (thanks to being an Astros fan on really only seeing the sheer domination by that team against the other 4).

35 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

What’s crazy is that we think the mariners as one of the worst teams in the league (and they are), but they’re still better than 4 other teams in the AL and not far from the White Sox. (Yeah, 14-3 start blah blah but they all still count.)
I guess the point being the AL West, record-wise, is a lot better than I would have guessed (thanks to being an Astros fan on really only seeing the sheer domination by that team against the other 4).

The West is probably the most balanced division in the AL when you look at the race for 2nd.  The East has 2 teams shittier than the Mariners.  The Central has 3.  The East and Central also have full on dumpster fires at the bottom that lay down and die against teams outside their divisions.  The Mariners, in contrast, are .500 against the rest of the AL.

oct 12th:
texas - ou
aggy - bama
alcs g1

Yeah was just commenting to a buddy how much I love our new oct traditions that involve our badass baseball team (reminiscent of the mid-2000s...if only the football team could get back to the level of their predecessors)

I remember being in the cotton bowl in 2017 listening to Game 2 of the ALCS, watching the football team’s last ditch effort to score on the last play of the game, seeing the last guy get tackled and letting out a huge YEESSSSSS! listening to Ford describing Altuve scoring the game winner on a botched attempt to catch the ball by Sanchez... and everyone around me giving me a “wtf” stare.
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

I get all of those options work... but I just want to be able to turn on the TV and watch the Astros on my Roku

I actually have a Directv login that I can use to watch ATTSportsnet but they don’t have an app for Roku

I switched from YouTubetv to fubo.tv on my Roku as fubo has att/Astros.

I switched from YouTubetv to fubo.tv on my Roku as fubo has att/Astros.

This is good to know but I’m cheap and don’t want to pay the monthly fubo fee
I can get all of my other sports channel needs (all of which have Roku apps) using my buddy’s Directv login.

It’s really just the Astros (I don’t watch the rockets) that I have an issue with and I prefer to solve it with an MLB.tv subscription (which I got for free through work this year) and a proxy service.

And here’s a write up from Kaplan earlier today on the badassery that is Air Yordan

For many in the Astros clubhouse, the first Wow moment came with two outs in the bottom of the fourth inning on June 9.

It was a Sunday afternoon. The Orioles were in town. After weeks of torturing Triple A pitchers yet being bypassed for a promotion, Yordan Alvarez was finally making his major league debut. Everyone was curious to see what all the hype was about.

Then, his first home run. Dylan Bundy threw a 1-and-0 changeup down and away, where his catcher set his target. Alvarez was ready for it. He stayed on the pitch and crushed it the other way, 413 feet out to left-center field, by the Minute Maid Park gasoline pump that counts home runs hit by the Astros. “Whoa,” starting pitcher Gerrit Cole remembers thinking in the dugout.

“That’s really hard to do. I was surprised by that,” second baseman Jose Altuve said. “When you’re in your first day in the big leagues and they throw you a changeup, you’re normally out front. He waited for the ball and hit it the other way. That’s something that you don’t see very often in a guy like him.”

A guy like him, as in an imposing 6-foot-5, 225-pound slugger. But unlike the prototypical hulking power bat, the Astros rookie designated hitter is not a boom-or-bust home run hitter. The 22-year-old Cuban separates himself with an advanced approach and a plate discipline rarely seen in a young hitter with such prodigious power.

Alvarez’s ability to hit for both average and power against both righties and lefties has quickly made him a mainstay in the middle of Houston’s star-studded lineup. He required only 32 games to prove he deserved to bat ahead of Carlos Correa when the shortstop recently returned from his 50-game injury absence. And despite not debuting until the 67th game of the Astros’ season, Alvarez is on an AL Rookie of the Year Award trajectory.

Even though he hardly ever plays defense, Alvarez came into the week with a 2.2 fWAR that trailed only currently injured Rays second baseman Brandon Lowe (2.5) among AL rookies. Alvarez will enter Tuesday night’s game against the Rockies batting .340 with a 1.115 OPS. Through 173 plate appearances, he has 13 home runs and 14 doubles.

Consider what else he’s accomplished in his first 41 games, including two of which he only pinch-hit:

Since June 9, the day of his debut, Alvarez ranks third in the majors in OPS, behind only Nelson Cruz (1.141) and Ketel Marte (1.140).
Only two players in major league history have had more extra-base hits than his 27 through their first 41 career games: Joe DiMaggio (30) and Ryan Braun (29).
He was the AL Rookie of the Month for June, his first month in the majors, despite the Astros keeping him in Triple A for the first eight days of June. He defended his claim in July and became the first AL player to win the award in consecutive months since Aaron Judge in 2017, the year Judge was Rookie of the Year and AL MVP runner-up to Altuve.
He is responsible for the longest home run at Minute Maid Park in the pitch-tracking era (since 2008) and the longest by an Astros player in the Statcast era (since 2015).

He’s already hit eight balls that registered an exit velocity of 110 mph or faster, tied for second on the Astros with Correa, behind only George Springer (11). His fastest was 114.1 mph, on a single to right field on June 14 off then-Blue Jays starter and now-teammate Aaron Sanchez.
“The home runs are impressive. The extra-base hits are impressive. How hard he hits the ball (is impressive). But I think what stands out to me is his control over himself,” Springer said. “If you watch his takes, they’re really, really soft. He’s never jumpy or kind of taken aback by a pitch. He has really, really good zone awareness. He understands the pitch he wants to hit and he’ll wait for it.”

During a July game at Yankee Stadium, Alvarez dug into the batter’s box looking for a fastball inside from left-hander J.A. Happ. The plan might be considered somewhat unusual, as throwing inside in a left-on-left situation isn’t the most comfortable location for a left-handed pitcher. The veteran Happ does venture there against same-sided hitters more than others, though, as Alvarez learned when he conferred with hitting coach Alex Cintrón and teammate Michael Brantley before the at-bat.

On the third pitch, Alvarez got his fastball in and much lower than Happ intended it. It was six inches off the plate, but Alvarez still managed to launch it to the upper deck in left field, his third homer of a four-game series.

For Astros manager A.J. Hinch, this was the at-bat that sold him on Alvarez’s discipline.

“He had opportunities to swing and miss at other pitches while he was in a particular game plan,” Hinch said. “But he didn’t come off of that approach and reaped the benefits of staying within himself.”

Cole described Alvarez’s as “a non-emotional, deliberate approach.” Alvarez has seen the lowest percentage of strikes among Houston’s hitters and has swung more frequently than only Alex Bregman and Brantley. It took Altuve several years to figure out how to lay off pitches he couldn’t drive, and Alvarez already does it. He has particularly crushed offspeed pitches. He’s more recently been tested with breaking balls and responded quickly.

“I can count a lot more hard-hit balls than I can balls where he gets jammed or even fooled on,” outfielder Josh Reddick said. “It seems like he’s really got an understanding of the strike zone. He handles his at-bats fantastically. We see him spit on balls in certain situations where a lot of guys would be chasing even 400-500 at-bats into a full season.”

Starts to careers like Alvarez’s to date naturally lead to grand comparisons, and throughout his rise Alvarez has been likened to several former left-handed hitting sluggers, from Fred McGriff to Carlos Delgado to Cliff Floyd. His ability to homer to any part of the field reminds Astros teammates of Springer, and his calmness in the batter’s box is akin to Brantley.

“I’ve never seen anything like it,” Cole said. “The fluidness of the swing reminds me of some of the outfielders I grew up watching, like Garret Anderson, Shawn Green. But it’s shorter. It’s a shorter swing and he uses the field more. But the lack of deficiency that it looks like to generate the bat speed looks the same. Garret never really looked like he overswung. Shawn never really looked like he overswung. Yordan doesn’t look like he really ever overswings. Now, it’s a completely different (bat) path. But in that sense, that just efficient like smoothness, those guys come to mind.”

Alvarez’s plate discipline has been a strength since he was young. He learned the game from his father, Agustín, who was a left-handed hitting corner infielder in the Cuban National Series, the country’s primary professional league. Agustín played for Las Tunas, the team based in the Alvarez family’s hometown, as did six other men on his father’s side of the family, Alvarez estimated. It’s the same team for which Alvarez played as a 16 and 17 year old.

When he was younger, Alvarez looked up to David Ortiz and Eric Hosmer. But, he said, he didn’t model his swing off any one player.

“He’s unique,” Altuve said. “He’s so tall and strong. But at the same time, he’s a smart hitter. He gets hits. He gets walks. I love the way he plays.”

As a hitter, Alvarez has answered every question thrown his way. As a defender, his future is still very much uncertain.

In an era in which positional versatility is highly valued, it’s not ideal that Alvarez isn’t currently adequate enough in the field to play it regularly. He’s sat five of the eight games the Astros have played in NL parks since his debut. Of the 39 games they’ve had the DH available, he’s started 33 of them.

Ultimately, DH is likely where Alvarez will spend a vast majority of his career, a la Ortiz or a late-career Cruz. But it would help the Astros maintain a more flexible roster if he can play a couple days a week in left field or at first base, the latter at which the team doesn’t even presently view him as an option.

His large frame suggests first base would be more reasonable than left field. But particularly given how much the Astros play in defensive shifts, it’s not as simple as sticking the biggest guy on the team at first. They might expose him to more first base next spring training, but as a minor leaguer they much more so preferred his play in left field.

Alvarez might’ve played more left field for the Astros than he has so far had he not fouled a ball off his left knee in late June. He hasn’t appeared to move as well since. And then in the sixth inning of Sunday’s game, he fouled a ball off his right knee. He fell to the ground in pain before finishing the plate appearance, in which he drove a 400-foot sacrifice fly to center field.

In previous minor league seasons, Alvarez missed time for various aches and pains in his wrist and his knees. It’s easy to forget this is still only his third full season stateside, and that Cuban players face an adjustment to the everyday grind that can take a couple years. It’s no coincidence that by far Yuli Gurriel’s worst season with the Astros was his first.

“In Cuba we only play like 90 games a year. Here, you play 162, and you go to spring training and play 20-plus games, too. It’s a big challenge, especially to stay healthy the whole year,” said Astros utility infielder Aledmys Díaz, a fellow Cuban. “The workouts are way different. The diet is different here. (There are) a lot of different things you have to adjust to.”

Alvarez has had no issue adjusting to the most advanced level of pitching the sport has to offer. The eight weeks since his arrival to the majors is one of only a few stretches in Hinch’s tenure the Astros have had a set everyday DH. Carlos Beltrán garnered about 69 percent of the DH plate appearances in 2017, but even then Evan Gattis still accounted for roughly 18 percent.

The first two months of this season, Hinch treated the DH as a flex position to afford “half days” to the Astros’ regulars. Nine players made at least one DH start before Alvarez’s arrival. Aside from the since-traded Tyler White (19 starts), Brantley (17) and Springer (10) received the most DH starts before June 9.

“Part of the reason that I spread the DH around early in the year so much was anticipating Alvarez coming up here,” Hinch said. “I thought we were going to run out of DH days for George and Michael Brantley and Jose. I even sprinkled Bregman in there a couple times. I gave Reddick a couple days. Because I thought at some point during the season Alvarez was going to come up.”

Those half days for the regulars have disappeared, save for five DH starts for Brantley and one for Springer. Alvarez was mere weeks into his career when the veterans started joking they would have to hold a funeral for his glove like they did for the 40-year-old Beltran in 2017.

“I understand I was DHing a little bit more when he wasn’t here, but we’ve got to get his bat in the lineup every day,” Springer said. “I’ll gladly go play the field or not, whatever (Hinch) wants me to do. But that’s a guy whose name has to be penciled in there every day.”

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

And here’s a write up from Kaplan earlier today on the badassery that is Air Yordan

Hide contents

For many in the Astros clubhouse, the first Wow moment came with two outs in the bottom of the fourth inning on June 9.

It was a Sunday afternoon. The Orioles were in town. After weeks of torturing Triple A pitchers yet being bypassed for a promotion, Yordan Alvarez was finally making his major league debut. Everyone was curious to see what all the hype was about.

Then, his first home run. Dylan Bundy threw a 1-and-0 changeup down and away, where his catcher set his target. Alvarez was ready for it. He stayed on the pitch and crushed it the other way, 413 feet out to left-center field, by the Minute Maid Park gasoline pump that counts home runs hit by the Astros. “Whoa,” starting pitcher Gerrit Cole remembers thinking in the dugout.

“That’s really hard to do. I was surprised by that,” second baseman Jose Altuve said. “When you’re in your first day in the big leagues and they throw you a changeup, you’re normally out front. He waited for the ball and hit it the other way. That’s something that you don’t see very often in a guy like him.”

A guy like him, as in an imposing 6-foot-5, 225-pound slugger. But unlike the prototypical hulking power bat, the Astros rookie designated hitter is not a boom-or-bust home run hitter. The 22-year-old Cuban separates himself with an advanced approach and a plate discipline rarely seen in a young hitter with such prodigious power.

Alvarez’s ability to hit for both average and power against both righties and lefties has quickly made him a mainstay in the middle of Houston’s star-studded lineup. He required only 32 games to prove he deserved to bat ahead of Carlos Correa when the shortstop recently returned from his 50-game injury absence. And despite not debuting until the 67th game of the Astros’ season, Alvarez is on an AL Rookie of the Year Award trajectory.

Even though he hardly ever plays defense, Alvarez came into the week with a 2.2 fWAR that trailed only currently injured Rays second baseman Brandon Lowe (2.5) among AL rookies. Alvarez will enter Tuesday night’s game against the Rockies batting .340 with a 1.115 OPS. Through 173 plate appearances, he has 13 home runs and 14 doubles.

Consider what else he’s accomplished in his first 41 games, including two of which he only pinch-hit:

Since June 9, the day of his debut, Alvarez ranks third in the majors in OPS, behind only Nelson Cruz (1.141) and Ketel Marte (1.140).
Only two players in major league history have had more extra-base hits than his 27 through their first 41 career games: Joe DiMaggio (30) and Ryan Braun (29).
He was the AL Rookie of the Month for June, his first month in the majors, despite the Astros keeping him in Triple A for the first eight days of June. He defended his claim in July and became the first AL player to win the award in consecutive months since Aaron Judge in 2017, the year Judge was Rookie of the Year and AL MVP runner-up to Altuve.
He is responsible for the longest home run at Minute Maid Park in the pitch-tracking era (since 2008) and the longest by an Astros player in the Statcast era (since 2015).

He’s already hit eight balls that registered an exit velocity of 110 mph or faster, tied for second on the Astros with Correa, behind only George Springer (11). His fastest was 114.1 mph, on a single to right field on June 14 off then-Blue Jays starter and now-teammate Aaron Sanchez.
“The home runs are impressive. The extra-base hits are impressive. How hard he hits the ball (is impressive). But I think what stands out to me is his control over himself,” Springer said. “If you watch his takes, they’re really, really soft. He’s never jumpy or kind of taken aback by a pitch. He has really, really good zone awareness. He understands the pitch he wants to hit and he’ll wait for it.”

During a July game at Yankee Stadium, Alvarez dug into the batter’s box looking for a fastball inside from left-hander J.A. Happ. The plan might be considered somewhat unusual, as throwing inside in a left-on-left situation isn’t the most comfortable location for a left-handed pitcher. The veteran Happ does venture there against same-sided hitters more than others, though, as Alvarez learned when he conferred with hitting coach Alex Cintrón and teammate Michael Brantley before the at-bat.

On the third pitch, Alvarez got his fastball in and much lower than Happ intended it. It was six inches off the plate, but Alvarez still managed to launch it to the upper deck in left field, his third homer of a four-game series.

For Astros manager A.J. Hinch, this was the at-bat that sold him on Alvarez’s discipline.

“He had opportunities to swing and miss at other pitches while he was in a particular game plan,” Hinch said. “But he didn’t come off of that approach and reaped the benefits of staying within himself.”

Cole described Alvarez’s as “a non-emotional, deliberate approach.” Alvarez has seen the lowest percentage of strikes among Houston’s hitters and has swung more frequently than only Alex Bregman and Brantley. It took Altuve several years to figure out how to lay off pitches he couldn’t drive, and Alvarez already does it. He has particularly crushed offspeed pitches. He’s more recently been tested with breaking balls and responded quickly.

“I can count a lot more hard-hit balls than I can balls where he gets jammed or even fooled on,” outfielder Josh Reddick said. “It seems like he’s really got an understanding of the strike zone. He handles his at-bats fantastically. We see him spit on balls in certain situations where a lot of guys would be chasing even 400-500 at-bats into a full season.”

Starts to careers like Alvarez’s to date naturally lead to grand comparisons, and throughout his rise Alvarez has been likened to several former left-handed hitting sluggers, from Fred McGriff to Carlos Delgado to Cliff Floyd. His ability to homer to any part of the field reminds Astros teammates of Springer, and his calmness in the batter’s box is akin to Brantley.

“I’ve never seen anything like it,” Cole said. “The fluidness of the swing reminds me of some of the outfielders I grew up watching, like Garret Anderson, Shawn Green. But it’s shorter. It’s a shorter swing and he uses the field more. But the lack of deficiency that it looks like to generate the bat speed looks the same. Garret never really looked like he overswung. Shawn never really looked like he overswung. Yordan doesn’t look like he really ever overswings. Now, it’s a completely different (bat) path. But in that sense, that just efficient like smoothness, those guys come to mind.”

Alvarez’s plate discipline has been a strength since he was young. He learned the game from his father, Agustín, who was a left-handed hitting corner infielder in the Cuban National Series, the country’s primary professional league. Agustín played for Las Tunas, the team based in the Alvarez family’s hometown, as did six other men on his father’s side of the family, Alvarez estimated. It’s the same team for which Alvarez played as a 16 and 17 year old.

When he was younger, Alvarez looked up to David Ortiz and Eric Hosmer. But, he said, he didn’t model his swing off any one player.

“He’s unique,” Altuve said. “He’s so tall and strong. But at the same time, he’s a smart hitter. He gets hits. He gets walks. I love the way he plays.”

As a hitter, Alvarez has answered every question thrown his way. As a defender, his future is still very much uncertain.

In an era in which positional versatility is highly valued, it’s not ideal that Alvarez isn’t currently adequate enough in the field to play it regularly. He’s sat five of the eight games the Astros have played in NL parks since his debut. Of the 39 games they’ve had the DH available, he’s started 33 of them.

Ultimately, DH is likely where Alvarez will spend a vast majority of his career, a la Ortiz or a late-career Cruz. But it would help the Astros maintain a more flexible roster if he can play a couple days a week in left field or at first base, the latter at which the team doesn’t even presently view him as an option.

His large frame suggests first base would be more reasonable than left field. But particularly given how much the Astros play in defensive shifts, it’s not as simple as sticking the biggest guy on the team at first. They might expose him to more first base next spring training, but as a minor leaguer they much more so preferred his play in left field.

Alvarez might’ve played more left field for the Astros than he has so far had he not fouled a ball off his left knee in late June. He hasn’t appeared to move as well since. And then in the sixth inning of Sunday’s game, he fouled a ball off his right knee. He fell to the ground in pain before finishing the plate appearance, in which he drove a 400-foot sacrifice fly to center field.

In previous minor league seasons, Alvarez missed time for various aches and pains in his wrist and his knees. It’s easy to forget this is still only his third full season stateside, and that Cuban players face an adjustment to the everyday grind that can take a couple years. It’s no coincidence that by far Yuli Gurriel’s worst season with the Astros was his first.

“In Cuba we only play like 90 games a year. Here, you play 162, and you go to spring training and play 20-plus games, too. It’s a big challenge, especially to stay healthy the whole year,” said Astros utility infielder Aledmys Díaz, a fellow Cuban. “The workouts are way different. The diet is different here. (There are) a lot of different things you have to adjust to.”

Alvarez has had no issue adjusting to the most advanced level of pitching the sport has to offer. The eight weeks since his arrival to the majors is one of only a few stretches in Hinch’s tenure the Astros have had a set everyday DH. Carlos Beltrán garnered about 69 percent of the DH plate appearances in 2017, but even then Evan Gattis still accounted for roughly 18 percent.

The first two months of this season, Hinch treated the DH as a flex position to afford “half days” to the Astros’ regulars. Nine players made at least one DH start before Alvarez’s arrival. Aside from the since-traded Tyler White (19 starts), Brantley (17) and Springer (10) received the most DH starts before June 9.

“Part of the reason that I spread the DH around early in the year so much was anticipating Alvarez coming up here,” Hinch said. “I thought we were going to run out of DH days for George and Michael Brantley and Jose. I even sprinkled Bregman in there a couple times. I gave Reddick a couple days. Because I thought at some point during the season Alvarez was going to come up.”

Those half days for the regulars have disappeared, save for five DH starts for Brantley and one for Springer. Alvarez was mere weeks into his career when the veterans started joking they would have to hold a funeral for his glove like they did for the 40-year-old Beltran in 2017.

“I understand I was DHing a little bit more when he wasn’t here, but we’ve got to get his bat in the lineup every day,” Springer said. “I’ll gladly go play the field or not, whatever (Hinch) wants me to do. But that’s a guy whose name has to be penciled in there every day.”

That’s a well written piece. So great to have Alvarez in our lineup! Must see tv, and as much as I had “day off withdrawals” prior to him coming up, they’re much worse since he has. Anticipation running high for tomorrow to see him and the rest of the lineup get support for Greinke’s debut.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

That’s a well written piece. So great to have Alvarez in our lineup! Must see tv, and as much as I had “day off withdrawals” prior to him coming up, they’re much worse since he has. Anticipation running high for tomorrow to see him and the rest of the lineup give support for Greinke’s debut.

I've never understood people who bitch about how long the baseball season is. I fucking hate off days, but it gives me time to reflect and not think about this season game by game. This team is historically special. The Death Star is fully operational tomorrow when Greinke takes the bump. With a healthy squad, this could be a special season. Let's fucking go HTOWN

• Like 3