2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Yeah, it’s clear the length of Mayfield’s MLB career is pegged to the health of other men’s hamstrings, but tip my cap to the Sooner for grinding and being a true professional.

My 4.5 yo is a baseball nut right now. I’d like to think I have something to do with that but moments like this from last year when Fresno rolled through Round Rock don’t hurt.

37343387d5fa9425650c66a19b850c43.jpg

• Like 1

I know we have all beaten the TW horse to death, but seriously...we can't really keep trotting out a DH/1B hitting .205/.299/.282. I mean...that's beyond awful. He's 35% worse than the average MLB hitter. 

I know we want to get some value for him, but you have to cut the cord at some point. It's difficult to rationalize his spot on the roster when you are already down Springer, Altuve and Correa. 

I mean, he's slugging .282...holy shit. 

I know we have all beaten the TW horse to death, but seriously...we can't really keep trotting out a DH/1B hitting .205/.299/.282. I mean...that's beyond awful. He's 35% worse than the average MLB hitter. 
I know we want to get some value for him, but you have to cut the cord at some point. It's difficult to rationalize his spot on the roster when you are already down Springer, Altuve and Correa. 
I mean, he's slugging .282...holy shit. 

Yeah, but today’s the day.
HR #2 and he may even mix in a double and an RBI or two.

god dammit i didn't even realize we had started.  we play so fucking few day games, it caught me off guard.  also it's not even 1pm here so there's that.

3-0 without anything out of bregman or brantley.

chirinos - the most yawn-inducing signing of the offseason.  i think it's time we all just stfu and start drinking the koolaid.

.528 / .532 / .555

those are slugging percentages for chirinos / brantley / bregs.

forgetting his .500 slg and .830 ops, jake is an embarrassment of riches in the outfield.

as much as i want to see yordan up and in the lineup right now, if everyone was healthy, getting him consistent ab means somebody really good isn't playing.

it would make things easier if someone like reddick was struggling, but he isn't.  he's hitting .309 and plays great d.

Just now, henrygandorf said:

forgetting his .500 slg and .830 ops, jake is an embarrassment of riches in the outfield.

as much as i want to see yordan up and in the lineup right now, if everyone was healthy, getting him consistent ab means somebody really good isn't playing.

it would make things easier if someone like reddick was struggling, but he isn't.  he's hitting .309 and plays great d.

This is true.

Everyone healthy, Yordan would platoon DH maybe?

*assuming everyone is healthy*

if yordan is permanent dh, then brantley plays left, and jake is a late-inning def replacement (although that's tough because you lose reddick or brantley in the lineup).

bench is kemp, jake, backup-c.

if yordan can somehow play some first or left, then you can play around a little with rotating dh and yuli.  if yordan can play left, it would make more sense, so that brantley could be more of a permanent dh in the playoffs.

7 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

This is honestly why I didn't think we would actually see him up until September.  With him in the minors he can get consistent ABs.  Up here he isn't going to get consistent ABs most likely (when Springer/Diaz/Altuve are back mainly).  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

if yordan is permanent dh, then brantley plays left, and jake is a late-inning def replacement (although that's tough because you lose reddick or brantley in the lineup).

if yordan can somehow play some first or left, then you can play around a little with rotating dh and yuli.  if yordan can play left, it would make more sense, so that brantley could be more of a permanent dh in the playoffs.

shit, @scraps reminded me of the existence of diaz (.835 ops).

he's the ss until correa is back, then he's on the bench, along with jake and backup c, and probably no room for kemp or white (duh).

playoff construction gonna be a real high wire act.

Just now, henrygandorf said:

Yeah where is Diaz in this configuration?