Things seem to be going quite well for Joe Biden

Parliament

32 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

And... who was paying Joe tens/hundreds of thousands of dollars for speeches? Why can't we know that?

You can know that. It would be in his taxes. NPR examined his tax return from 2018 and here is some info:

"The bulk of the Bidens' earnings come from book sales and paid speaking engagements – two routine sources of income for former high-ranking public officials." That placed him behind Steyer (I don't think Bloomberg was in the race at that time). Most of the money came from his book (about him and Beau) and the tour promoting the book, and then he averaged about $127,000 per speaking event eventually earning about $2 million for that, so roughly 8-10 speeches in one year. No corporations or lobby groups paid him to speak. It was universities, event companies, and community groups.

Now that was from 2018, but since he has released all of his returns, you could probably look them up and see who has paid him to speak if they're listed, but I don't know if it dials down that specific. Here's a link if you're up to reading:

https://go.joebiden.com/page/-/vpdocs/Biden 2018 Amended Federal.pdf

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
Edit-I didn't look to see if the specific bookings were listed in the taxes, but Biden has been fairly above board with that, so it is most likely out in the public domain.

10 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Dude, do you honestly believe that it is impossible that some foreign entity tried to influence Bernie Sanders? Do you think he is immune to allegations of that?

Given the lack of anyone connected to him making millions of dollars for that purpose, yes, as is true for basically every other non-Joe 2020 Dem candidate in that specific regard (will be interesting to see you chop this final half of the sentence off to respond to).

No one is dismissing the possibility of foreign influence being an issue.

That's literally what you guys are howling at me about. You've wrapped yourself around the axle. 

10 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Now that was from 2018, but since he has released all of his returns, you could probably look them up and see who has paid him to speak if they're listed, but I don't know if it dials down that specific. Here's a link if you're up to reading:

https://go.joebiden.com/page/-/vpdocs/Biden 2018 Amended Federal.pdf

I've already looked, as have many others, and there is a lot of speaking money unaccounted for in terms of disclosing who they were for and when/where.

This is all his right as an American to use shady S-corp passthroughs and keep his sources of income out of the public eye. I doubt he's breaking any laws. But my own personal standard for that are higher than mere legalism.

35 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Obviously this is the question. I'm inclined to believe that Burisma got nothing from Hunter in return for millions of dollars, but it's not inconceivable to believe otherwise since... that was the entire purpose of them giving him money. That doesn't mean it's beyond question or beyond reason.

Actually, it is. Because, after Hunter joined the board, Joe Biden (along with the rest of the western world) got the prosecutor that wasn't investigating Burisima fired so that the company would be investigated. 

While giving Shokin a last chance to shape up (Pyatt says, “We want to work with Prosecutor General Shokin so the PGO is leading the fight against corruption.”), the ambassador criticizes “officials at the PGO’s office” for not providing documents that were needed for the British investigation of Burisma owner Zlochevskiy and effectively allowing Zlochevskiy to transfer $23 million of what Pyatt says were Ukrainian taxpayer assets to Cyprus. In other words, Pyatt is critical of the prosecutor’s office for not aiding in investigations of Burisma’s owner, which was in line with Biden’s criticism that the office was blocking corruption investigations. Pyatt specifically called for the investigation and removal of officials who were involved in the failure to help the British authorities investigate Zlochevskiy: 

Fall 2015 – Biden, along with the EU, publicly calls for ouster of Prosecutor General Shokin for failure to work on anti-corruption efforts.

Biden says:

“It’s not enough to set up a new anti-corruption bureau and establish a special prosecutor fighting corruption. The Office of the General Prosecutor desperately needs reform. The judiciary should be overhauled. The energy sector needs to be competitive, ruled by market principles — not sweetheart deals. It’s not enough to push through laws to increase transparency with regard to official sources of income. Senior elected officials have to remove all conflicts between their business interest and their government responsibilities. Every other democracy in the world — that system pertains.

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/the-press-office/2015/12/09/remarks-vice-president-joe-biden-ukrainian-rada

Vitaliy Kasko, a former deputy prosecutor general who had worked under Shokin and resigned in frustration at his stymying of corruption investigations, told Bloomberg News (in a May 2019 interview) that the office’s probe into Burisma Holdings had been long dormant by the time Joe Biden issued his ultimatum in 2016. “There was no pressure from anyone from the U.S. to close cases against” Burisma owner Zlochevskiy, Bloomberg quoted Kasko as saying. “It was shelved by Ukrainian prosecutors in 2014 and through 2015,” Kasko said.

“Shokin was not investigating. He didn’t want to investigate Burisma,” Daria Kaleniuk a leading Ukrainian anti-corruption advocate, told the Washington Post. “And Shokin was fired not because he wanted to do that investigation, but quite to the contrary, because he failed that investigation.”

April 14, 2016 – Vice President Biden speaks with Ukrainian President Poroshenko by phone, emphasizing “the urgency of putting in place a new Prosecutor General who would bolster the agency’s anti-corruption efforts and strongly support the work of its reformers.” Biden does the same in a call the same day with newly elected Prime Minister Volodymyr Groysman.

Yuriy Lutsenko, who had headed Poroshenko’s political bloc in Parliament, takes office as prosecutor general, after Parliament changed the law to allow someone without a law degree and legal experience to hold the position. According to the New York Times, “Lutsenko initially took a hard line against Burisma.”

https://www.justsecurity.org/66271/timeline-trump-giuliani-bidens-and-ukrainegate/

My point: shut the fuck up about this. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Given the lack of anyone connected to him making millions of dollars for that purpose, yes, as is true for basically every other non-Joe 2020 Dem candidate in that specific regard (will be interesting to see you chop this final half of the sentence off to respond to).

That doesn't mean it is impossible. It means we don't know about them and that Bernie Sanders isn't important enough for the Republicans to lie about. If he had won the nomination, do you think there is any chance that similar bullshit wouldn't be made up about Bernie? Do you really think that? You're usually smarter than this, but you can't get out of your own way when it comes to your anger about Bernie Sanders not getting the nomination. 

Edited by Dahobbs

Just now, Dahobbs said:

That doesn't mean it is impossible. It means we don't know about them and that Bernie Sanders isn't important enough for the Republicans to lie about. If he had one the nomination, do you think there is any chance that similar bullshit wouldn't be made up about Bernie? Do you really think that? You're usually smarter than this, but you can't get out of your own way when it comes to your anger about Bernie Sanders not getting the nomination. 

Hunter Biden was paid millions of dollars by a foreign firm because they wanted to influence Joe Biden. That's not a Republican lie, that's indisputable.

Anything beyond that I'm not alleging as having absolutely happened. I'm pointing to an obvious truth and the reality of that is that there could be 10,000 other things Burisma might have wanted out of it that we don't even know about.

We've got a terminal fuckup of a son to a loving father and that kid has god-knows-what obligations to foreign interests. That's a problem. If you guys were being honest, you'd agree that's a problem.

Trump is worse, but very soon Trump will be gone.

As you continue to ponder hypocrisy, please also refuse to address the following:

I'd subscribe to your newsletter. Nice work!

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, bad_teammate said:

Hunter Biden was paid millions of dollars by a foreign firm because they wanted to influence Joe Biden. That's not a Republican lie, that's indisputable.

Anything beyond that I'm not alleging as having absolutely happened. I'm pointing to an obvious truth and the reality of that is that there could be 10,000 other things Burisma might have wanted out of it that we don't even know about.

We've got a terminal fuckup of a son to a loving father and that kid has god-knows-what obligations to foreign interests. That's a problem. If you guys were being honest, you'd agree that's a problem.

We know they hired him. We can be sure that part of the reason they hired him was for some sort of soft influence. But can we stop acting like a Yale trained lawyer with 20-years of experience is somehow unqualified for a position on the board of any company and unqualified to provide advice on corporate governance? Do you even know what board members do? Can we also stop acting like a few million dollars is somehow an absurd amount for a Yale trained lawyer with 20 years of experience to be making over 5 years? (notable, 3 of which when Biden was just a private citizen, which maybe suggests influencing him may not have been the primary motivation for hiring Hunter). 

Yes, I agree companies, foreign and otherwise, trying to buy influence is a problem. Let's address that directly rather than trash candidates because companies try to do it. 

• Hook 'Em 3

One of the things that is particularly galling about the Hunter Biden accusations is that it basically comes down to influence peddling - whether someone with a personal relationship to a powerful politician is selling their influence in exchange for money. 

Off the top of my head, Trump has three well documented cases of influence peddlers that I can think of.  Do you all remember Michael Cohen's "Essential Consultants" selling to ATT, Novartis, and Korean Aerospace Industries, in additional to the Russian-linked Columbus Nova?  Seems like simpler times, doesn't?  Recently Elliot Broidy pled guilty to lobbying for Malaysia.  And, of course, Rudy is on Demtri Firtash's payroll.  The big accusation against Hunter Biden is being spearheaded by the guy currently doing the same crime. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Legitimate question, how do we know that?

6 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

But can we stop acting like a Yale trained lawyer with 20-years of experience is somehow unqualified for a position on the board of any company and unqualified to provide advice on corporate governance?

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

Legitimate question, how do we know that?

tenor.gif?itemid=3561194

Hunter Biden's entire career is being Joe Biden's son.

YALE LAW SCHOOL

He couldn't fucking get into the University of Delaware. He got into Georgetown and Yale because he was Joe Biden's son. He got his first high-dollar job straight out of Yale with MBNA, a massive Biden donating bank. His entire life is as a remora on Joe. He ran a lobbying firm with one of Joe's buddies.

Let's not get into stupid bullshit and act like Hunter Biden isn't just a failson product of patronage. Come on.

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

tenor.gif?itemid=3561194

YALE LAW SCHOOL

He couldn't fucking get into the University of Delaware. He got into Georgetown and Yale because he was Joe Biden's son. He got his first high-dollar job straight out of Yale with MBNA, a massive Biden donating bank. His entire life is as a remora on Joe. He ran a lobbying firm with one of Joe's buddies.

Let's not get into stupid bullshit and act like Hunter Biden isn't just a failson product of patronage. Come on.

So it’s not a fact then and is, in fact, disputable?

Edited by hobbes2702

5 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

So it’s not a fact then and is, in fact, disputable?

Disputable by an intellectually dishonest person for the sole purpose of arguing on the Internet, yes. So basically if you want to troll.

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

So what jobs is Hunter allowed to have? Can he not work for any company that may have interests with the US government?

He is allowed to have whatever job he wants.

?

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Disputable by an intellectually dishonest person for the sole purpose of arguing on the Internet, yes. So basically if you want to troll.

He is allowed to have whatever job he wants.

?

You made a claim that can’t be proven and called it indisputable. I think there’s plenty of reasons a Yale and Georgetown educated lawyer might get lucrative jobs offers. Nepotism is one of those reasons. Being Yale and Georgetown educated is another. You are making claims that you can’t prove in an attempt to smear Joe Biden for something that also can’t be proven. Sorry that your story falls apart under slight scrutiny and your faux outrage is being shown as transparent.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

tenor.gif?itemid=3561194

YALE LAW SCHOOL

Do you actually have any evidence that Hunter didn't have the grades or scores to get into Yale or Georgetown Law? Or that he didn't legitimately graduate from Yale? Do you actually have any evidence that he couldn't get into the University of Delaware? Did he even apply to it? All I see is that he went to Georgetown for undergrad. Are you just making shit up for fun? 

From your article:

Hunter enrolled at Georgetown University in 1988. He and Beau took out student loans to cover their university costs. Hunter worked odd jobs—parking cars at events and unloading sixty-pound boxes of frozen beef—to help pay for his room and board. Ted Dziak, a chaplain-in-residence in Hunter’s freshman dorm, told me, “Hunter was always out there, doing something to gain a little bit of money.”

Yes, clearly he is just a spoiled brat of privilege and not someone who worked at all for what he got. 

Are you really shocked that successful people are more likely to have successful children? Parents try and give their children better opportunities than the parents had. That doesn't mean that the success is illegitimate. I was lucky. I had a good family with a solid upper-middle class lifestyle. It helped propel me in life. But it didn't dictate the outcome and it certainly didn't mean my family cheated to get me ahead. 

Shut the fuck up. 

20 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

tenor.gif?itemid=3561194

YALE LAW SCHOOL

This is hilarious, you keep fucking that chicken my man. 

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

Is there ever going to be an acceptable motive or time to offer a criticism of President Joe Biden? Or is he, like Donald to MAGA people, infallible?

No, it will not be allowed and if you don’t stop this nonsense you will be reported and taken away for re-education activities.  Don’t say you were not warned.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

Yes, tell please explain to us hypocrisy as you feign outrage about foreign influence of our elected officials and nepotism. It would be best if you could do that all while ignoring that Trump has assets literally controlled by foreign nations and operatives and while ignoring that his children and their spouses have getting paid with tax payer money for positions they have no qualifications for. It would be an extremely illustrative example. 

Look.  Its true that  @chickensandwich wasn’t always against foreign influence in our elections and nepotism.  But after Kavenaugh all that changed!

• Hook 'Em 1

Bernie Sanders met Jane Driscoll in 1981 and married her in 1988.  At the time, she had a bachelor's in social work. Amazingly, she became the founding director of the Mayor's Youth Office and Department Head in the City of Burlington, you know, where Bernie Sanders was mayor. And, then, she was appointed as Provost and Interim President of her alma mater, Goddard College. This is all obviously trading on the political patronage of her congressman husband who had also been the former long time mayor of nearby Burlington. Really, her only qualifications were her association with Bernie Sanders. 

Or, we could talk about his kids. For example, Levi Sanders' entire career is just as the failson product of patronage. He obviously couldn't have legitimately gotten into the University of Oregon but for his father's name. And his career has basically been working for his father's campaign. 

That's how this works, right?

Wait are you telling me that children of the rich and powerful get special privilege and opportunities that others don’t!!  Holy Shit!   Next you are going to imply that George W, also a coke head dumbass, was able to attend prestigious schools and achieve wealth and power  because of his dad and not exclusively on his own merit?? Surely this is EXTREMELY rare and unheard of in human history.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

You made a claim that can’t be proven and called it indisputable. I think there’s plenty of reasons a Yale and Georgetown educated lawyer might get lucrative jobs offers. Nepotism is one of those reasons. Being Yale and Georgetown educated is another. You are making claims that you can’t prove in an attempt to smear Joe Biden for something that also can’t be proven. Sorry that your story falls apart under slight scrutiny and your faux outrage is being shown as transparent.

How does acknowledgement of the obvious reality of Hunter Biden's life of advancement and avoidance of consequences due to his father's power smear Joe Biden? That's how money and power always work. Joe didn't invent nepotism and I don't think he twisted a lot of arms on Hunter's behalf; this shit just flows naturally in corrupt society.

49 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Do you actually have any evidence that Hunter didn't have the grades or scores to get into Yale or Georgetown Law? Or that he didn't legitimately graduate from Yale? Do you actually have any evidence that he couldn't get into the University of Delaware? Did he even apply to it? All I see is that he went to Georgetown for undergrad. Are you just making shit up for fun? 

From Delaware Senator Tom Carper's hilarious statement on Hunter being appointed to the AMTRAK board of directors.

"When Hunter was unable to get into the University of Delaware, he instead went on to Georgetown and then to Yale Law School and managed to get through those OK."

And here's the killer line:

"More specifically, though, and for our purposes and for the purpose of this nomination, Hunter Biden has spent a lot of time on Amtrak trains."

Yes, clearly he is just a spoiled brat of privilege and not someone who worked at all for what he got. 

Are you really shocked that successful people are more likely to have successful children? Parents try and give their children better opportunities than the parents had. That doesn't mean that the success is illegitimate. I was lucky. I had a good family with a solid upper-middle class lifestyle. It helped propel me in life. But it didn't dictate the outcome and it certainly didn't mean my family cheated to get me ahead. 

Shut the fuck up. 

Why are you making this about yourself? lol fucking demented brains in action

8 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

(post about Jane & Levi)

That's how this works, right?

Yes, that is exactly how it works.

You're not going to see me humiliate myself by extolling the inspirational backstory of Levi Sanders, though. And as far as I know, there's no situation in which Levi was paid millions by foreign entities trying to win favor and influence from The Bern Dawg. If there is, then I'm happy to apply the same standard to Chairman Sanders as I'm applying to Amtrak Joe.

8 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

Wait are you telling me that children of the rich and powerful get special privilege and opportunities that others don’t!!  Holy Shit!   Next you are going to imply that George W, also a coke head dumbass, was able to attend prestigious schools and achieve wealth and power  because of his dad and not exclusively on his own merit?? Surely this is EXTREMELY rare and unheard of in human history.

Did I say it was rare or unexpected?

So what's the consensus, guys, is Hunter a failson product of nepotism or a self-made man? I'm getting whiplash.

I’m bored by this discussion. BT is possibly correct but it just doesn’t matter this year because Trump and his clan are so much worse. Accordingly, I just don’t give a fuck about BT’s points right now. If they have legs, make them another day after the election dude. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, MidTexHorn said:

I’m bored by this discussion. BT is possibly correct but it just doesn’t matter this year because Trump and his clan are so much worse. Accordingly, I just don’t give a fuck about BT’s points right now. If they have legs, make them another day after the election dude. 

That’s the problem, they don’t legs and he’s feverishly moving the goalposts in an attempt to justify his first post from a few pages back.

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

That’s the problem, they don’t legs and he’s feverishly moving the goalposts in an attempt to justify his first post from a few pages back.

Here's the post. Tell me what has changed.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Hunter Biden earned a shitload of foreign money in a job he wasn't at all qualified for specifically because his paymasters wanted influence. They weren't buying Hunter's expertise, they were buying influence. Did they get it? Maybe not, but that doesn't change the reality. A reality that many here and liberals in the media are desperate to pretend isn't reality.

The evidence that Joe got paid is scant. The evidence that Hunter's paymasters got something from Joe is also scant.

It's unacceptable regardless.

Joe Biden, who looks like he's going to be the next president, is not good enough for the office for a BUNCH of reasons, and potential graft is one of those many reasons. Our president should have ZERO foreign entanglements, past, present, or future.

Are Republican voters hypocritical sacks of shit? Yes.
Is Donald Trump exponentially worse? Yes.
Are the Trump kids exposed to 100x the foreign influence that Hunter ever was? Yes.
Can a person vote for Trump and still be considered someone worth listening to regarding ethics and morality? No.
Should people still vote for Biden in this specific circumstance? Sure (if their vote will matter).

But none of that changes the reality about Hunter Biden's "work" for Burisma, which is classic influence-peddling.

Get Trump out of office. Purge the Democratic party of ancient cronies and dynastic power.

Seems consistent to me.

1 Thessalonians 5:22 - Abstain from all appearance of evil.

10 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

From Delaware Senator Tom Carper's hilarious statement on Hunter being appointed to the AMTRAK board of directors

You're not going to see me humiliate myself by extolling the inspirational backstory of Levi Sanders, though. And as far as I know, there's no situation in which Levi was paid millions by foreign entities trying to win favor and influence from The Bern Dawg. If there is, then I'm happy to apply the same standard to Chairman Sanders as I'm applying to Amtrak Joe.

Oh, there was a statement by someone else. That settles it. 

You've humiliated yourself quite enough already. I don't have any issue with legitimate criticisms of Joe Biden. I do have a problem with criticisms founded only in half-truths, lies, and insinuation. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Here's the post. Tell me what has changed.

Hunter Biden earned a shitload of foreign money in a job he wasn't at all qualified for specifically because his paymasters wanted influence. They weren't buying Hunter's expertise, they were buying influence. Did they get it? Maybe not, but that doesn't change the reality. A reality that many here and liberals in the media are desperate to pretend isn't reality.

The evidence that Joe got paid is scant. The evidence that Hunter's paymasters got something from Joe is also scant.

It's unacceptable regardless.

Joe Biden, who looks like he's going to be the next president, is not good enough for the office for a BUNCH of reasons, and potential graft is one of those many reasons. Our president should have ZERO foreign entanglements, past, present, or future.

Are Republican voters hypocritical sacks of shit? Yes.
Is Donald Trump exponentially worse? Yes.
Are the Trump kids exposed to 100x the foreign influence that Hunter ever was? Yes.
Can a person vote for Trump and still be considered someone worth listening to regarding ethics and morality? No.
Should people still vote for Biden in this specific circumstance? Sure (if their vote will matter).

But none of that changes the reality about Hunter Biden's "work" for Burisma, which is classic influence-peddling.

Get Trump out of office. Purge the Democratic party of ancient cronies and dynastic power.

Seems consistent to me.

1 Thessalonians 5:22 - Abstain from all appearance of evil.

If consistency includes things that aren’t true then sure. You have gone away from this being influence peddling because it can’t be proven. Now you’re just on nepotism, which also can’t be proven.

Edited by hobbes2702

i understand some of you are new at the whole bt thing, but what he does is offer a long set of good points, and then he slips a couple questionable ones in.  once you don't push back on those specifically, then you're basically agreeing to a new set of "facts", and those are what he'll use moving forward.

Joe Biden, who looks like he's going to be the next president, is not good enough for the office for a BUNCH of reasons,

and potential graft is one of those many reasons. Our president should have ZERO foreign entanglements, past, present, or future.

this is the portion y'all should be attacking.  carry on.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, henrygandorf said:

i understand some of you are new at the whole bt thing, but what he does is offer a long set of good points, and then he slips a couple questionable ones in.  once you don't push back on those specifically, then you're basically agreeing to a new set of "facts", and those are what he'll use moving forward.

That’s been my point. His argument has been bullshit from the outset and now he’s trying to expand to other things from the demonstrably false premise that he began with. Thank you for laying it in fewer words and more eloquently than I have been able.

2 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

We know they hired him. We can be sure that part of the reason they hired him was for some sort of soft influence. But can we stop acting like a Yale trained lawyer with 20-years of experience is somehow unqualified for a position on the board of any company and unqualified to provide advice on corporate governance?

Hunter Biden himself said he had no knowledge of Ukraine or natural gas. He also admitted he probably would not have been asked to be on the board if his last name wasn’t Biden.  

He was unqualified to be a board member of a foreign gas company in a country he knew nothing about. 

1 minute ago, Enchubben said:

Hunter Biden himself said he had no knowledge of Ukraine or natural gas. He also admitted he probably would not have been asked to be on the board if his last name wasn’t Biden.  

He was unqualified to be a board member of a foreign gas company in a country he knew nothing about. 

What do you think board members do?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Oh no

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

in other words, he's donald trump.

seriously, b_t, you are a fucking beating. i don't know what to think of you. part of me thinks you are sincere, part of me thinks you are trolling. all of me understands that you are groverat. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

tenor.gif?itemid=3561194

YALE LAW SCHOOL

It sounds like his qualifications make him perfect for Senior Advisor to the President of the United States.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• immamac changed the title to Things seem to be going quite well for Joe Biden