Things seem to be going quite well for Joe Biden

Parliament

As long as Biden plays it straight down the middle without taking any radical positions or risks, he is very well positioned to sweep NH, Iowa, and South Carolina which should give him some very solid momentum. 

You guys can harp on the Obamacare extension but it is the most moderate and least controversial plan that is being proposed. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Wrong. Keep talking yourself into Biden winning. It ain't happening. 

I am almost embarrassed you don't see the masses of people screaming and chanting in the street for centrist, middle of the road policy positions and decorum/working with Republicans.  Get your head out of the sand and wake up, sheeple! 

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Biden: HAHA suckers, try outdoing me on this then. 

Maritza Perez, a senior policy analyst for criminal justice reform at the Center for American Progress, said it's the most "far-reaching marijuana bill" to be introduced in Congress.

3 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Wrong. Keep talking yourself into Biden winning. It ain't happening. 

If Warren and Harris cannibalize each other's votes, with Sanders lacking any support from minorities, that basically leaves Biden uncontested. 

5 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Biden? Charisma????

You need to meet more people.

An irascible personality and grumpy old uncle schtick isn’t charisma.

Bernie and Warren are the angry, preachy candidates. Biden has that Clinton-esque "I feel your pain" persona while actually being able to smile on occasion. 

Charisma = inappropriate with young girls and women; threatening to beat up Trump; saying "c'mon man!" and "malarkey" a lot; reminding everyone his usefulness was being Obama's BFF for 8 years to originally make him more palatable to older white voters in 2008

Desire to Hang With Rankings:
1 - Marianne Williamson
2 - Beto O'Rourke
--end of list--
(Maybe Liz when she's out of campaign mode.)

Neither Bernie nor Joe are people I look at and think, "Man, I want to hang with that guy."

I want Bernie to go make awesome legislation and the most personal interaction I'd want is to give him an "attaboy" finger-guns salute after he guillotines a CEO. I want Joe to go eat ice cream with his family and never be near government again. People looking for a friend or a lover in a candidate have their priorities out of whack.

6 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

1 - Marianne Williamson
2 - Beto O'Rourke
--end of list--

Neither Bernie nor Joe are people I look at and think, "Man, I want to hang with that guy."

I want Bernie to go make awesome legislation and the most personal interaction I'd want is to give him an "attaboy" finger-guns salute after he guillotines a CEO. I want Joe to go eat ice cream with his family and never be near government again. People looking for a friend or a lover in a candidate have their priorities out of whack.

Hey man not saying a candidate needs to be your best friend but candidates need to be likeable and connect with voters. Look at Clinton and Obama - both had very high likeability and backed it up with sound policy.

22 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

So just to make sure I understand you, you’re asserting Joe Biden is in the same league with Bill Clinton and Barack Obama in regards to charisma and likability??

Back in the day I would say yes.  Now, not so much.

5c87d5852628980b3b365565-1920-960.jpghttps://www.nytimes.com/1987/09/12/us/biden-s-debate-finale-an-echo-from-abroad.html?pagewanted=all

New York Times reporter Maureen Dowd reported on the fiasco in September 1987.

During an event at the Iowa State Fair, Biden mimicked entire portions of Kinnock's speech from earlier in the year. At one moment, Biden repeated the line that he was the first "in a thousand generations" to graduate from college, gesturing to his wife in the exact same way Kinnock did, while also saying the same line about her education and lineage.

Biden would later acknowledge that he in fact did have relatives who attended college, directly contrasting the Kinnock lines.

Edited by zork

8 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

So just to make sure I understand you, you’re asserting Joe Biden is in the same league with Bill Clinton and Barack Obama in regards to charisma and likability??

He's like Kevin Hart compared to Elizabeth Warren or Bernie Sanders

13 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

1 - Marianne Williamson
2 - Beto O'Rourke
--end of list--

Liz drinking beer in her kitchen and Kamala cooking in the kitchen - I'd hang with them.

There's not much about Joe I'd hang with - maybe making lame ass friendship bracelets for Instagram to remind everyone I WAS OBAMA'S VICE PRESIDENT

He's like Kevin Hart compared to Elizabeth Warren or Bernie Sanders

Elizabeth Warren is cool as fuck.

But why is Bernie the litmus test for charisma?

An agitated raccoon is more personable than Bernie.

Your assertion was that Biden was the most charismatic of the Democrats, not that he was better than Great Grandpa Crabbypants.

What charisma Biden has is a reflection of Obama’s charisma.

And this discussion is stupid anyway because Beto has more natural charisma than anyone in the field but that isn’t translating into anything at this point.

Seriously, I’m very bothered that anyone thinks Joe Flipping Biden is charismatic.

And now the word charisma has lost all meaning.

25 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Elizabeth Warren is cool as fuck.

But why is Bernie the litmus test for charisma?

An agitated raccoon is more personable than Bernie.

Your assertion was that Biden was the most charismatic of the Democrats, not that he was better than Great Grandpa Crabbypants.

What charisma Biden has is a reflection of Obama’s charisma.

And this discussion is stupid anyway because Beto has more natural charisma than anyone in the field but that isn’t translating into anything at this point.

Seriously, I’m very bothered that anyone thinks Joe Flipping Biden is charismatic.

And now the word charisma has lost all meaning.

Even some liberals will describe Elizabeth Warren as abrasive and preachy. That's ingrained in the mindset. Smart women who are unyielding and direct will generally be viewed as "icy" as opposed to charismatic and courageously deliberate. This is still a huge hurdle for women in politics or leadership roles in business. In entertainment or single issue activism it's viewed as a coveted trait. Smart, strong women who seek to govern and never asked for permission to deliver an array of ideas scares the the shit out of some people. Still. It still scares the shit out of some women. 

Joe being passionate, feisty and combative is gallant and strong. 

Jane being passionate, feisty and combative is erratic and too emotional because she lacks the nurturing qualities that weak men rely upon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chooky said:

Even some liberals will describe Elizabeth Warren as abrasive and preachy. That's ingrained in the mindset. Smart women who are unyielding and direct will generally be viewed as "icy" as opposed to charismatic and courageously deliberate. This is still a huge hurdle for women in politics or leadership roles in business. In entertainment or single issue activism it's viewed as a coveted trait. Smart, strong women who seek to govern and never asked for permission to deliver an array of ideas scares the the shit out of some people. Still. It still scares the shit out of some women. 

Jane being passionate, feisty and combative is erratic and too emotional because she lacks the nurturing qualities that weak men rely upon. 

That's a narrow minded view. I mean look at Ann Richards for example. She had charisma in spades which won over Texas despite being a Democrat. Amazing accomplishment.

1 minute ago, 6th Street said:

That's a narrow minded view. I mean look at Ann Richards for example. She had charisma in spades which won over Texas despite being a Democrat. Amazing accomplishment.

True, and a perfect example of the contrary. But I think the double standard in displays of strength still resonates widely.

lol Did you just mansplain me to me?

I’m kidding (kind of).

And let’s not be nostalgic - Ann Richards got called a bitch and all kinds of names by the opposition, and by members of her own party.

She was able to blunt some of it with a quick wit, thick skin, and a willingness to lean into it and “own” her “bitchiness”.

I also think Southern women can get away with it more than Yankee or West Coast women.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

She was able to blunt some of it with a quick wit, thick skin, and a willingness to lean into it and “own” her “bitchiness”.

I also think Southern women can get away with it more than Yankee or West Coast women.

I was trying to say this earlier, but you pretty much did it for me.  Southern women can get away with it with a folksy saying in their accent. 

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

His numbers with black voters should terrify everyone in this race. If those numbers hold, he's going to waltz to the nomination.

They don't terrify me one bit.

Hillary led Obama amongst black voters by nearly 20 points in October 2007.  Once they saw him win Iowa, they flipped.   If Liz or Kamala win Iowa/NH or take him to a draw, they will absolutely flip.

His numbers decreased after Kamala tore him a new one in the first debate.  Inevitability slowly erodes. 

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

They don't terrify me one bit.

Hillary led Obama amongst black voters by nearly 20 points in October 2007.  Once they saw him win Iowa, they flipped.   If Liz or Kamala win Iowa/NH or take him to a draw, they will absolutely flip.

His numbers decreased after Kamala tore him a new one in the first debate.  Inevitability slowly erodes. 

I hope so. They have to switch or he's the nominee.

Edited by David Dennison

9 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I hope so. They have to switch or he's the nominee.

They do but Blacks aren’t going randomly support someone so if you’re in the top 5, you good

Blacks aren’t going to just wake up and all of a sudden start supporting Booty or Castro or Moonbat

Edited by Pancho

4 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

lol Did you just mansplain me to me?

No. Not at all. Just posting how I think women in politics and government are perceived. The fact that I had a dick when I posted that and have a dick as im typing this is purely coincidental. I never even bothered to consider whether genitals played a pertinent role in any of that exchange, but that might be because I'm kind of a dick sometimes. 

32 minutes ago, Chooky said:

spacer.pngNo. Not at all. Just posting how I think women in politics and government are perceived. The fact that I had a dick when I posted that and have a dick as im typing this is purely coincidental. I never even bothered to consider whether genitals played a pertinent role in any of that exchange, but that might be because I'm kind of a dick sometimes. 

6 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

X-factor if Obama decides to support Uncle Joe.  I don't think he will but if he does, kiss the black vote and nomination good bye.  It's all Joe's. 

No way he steps into the middle of a competitive primary.  He would have done it already. 

He will endorse Joe if its May and all but over.

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

No way he steps into the middle of a competitive primary.  He would have done it already. 

He will endorse Joe if its May and all but over.

I've said 'no way' so many times in regards to politics the last few years - and been wrong over and over.  I will rule nothing out. 

3 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I've said 'no way' so many times in regards to politics the last few years - and been wrong over and over.  I will rule nothing out. 

LOL Obama didn't even endorse his first Secretary of State until June of 2016.  In a 2-way race!  

Just now, Js1 said:

LOL Obama didn't even endorse his first Secretary of State until June of 2016.  In a 2-way race!  

Sure.  If his old idiot buddy stays 7-10 points ahead I'm not ruling out Obama getting a jump on the main campaign by supporting Joe.  I hope you're right but I sure af would not rule out Obama teaming up with Joe a little earlier than he needs to - and thereby ending the primary.  

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

are you saying joe biden should starts?

I just remember the many curses over the years from the websites.  Texaggy had the Branding Iron guy with his various sure thing over confidence of Texas losing or aggy winning continually going against him.  The Mack Brown curses.  The threads I mentioned above.  "We're doomed".  etc etc.  Clearly Joe is going to be the nominee is my only conclusion from that science.  (no irony intended in that last sentence)

• Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Things seem to be going quite well for Joe Biden