Things seem to be going quite well for Joe Biden

Parliament

Media coverage influences perceptions, but good candidates influence media coverage.   I don't know how you separate one from the other.  If a candidate is unable to use the media to his or her advantage, it makes that person a bad candidate, in terms of ability to win.  I don't see any support for this notion that the polling shifts are media-driven rather than candidate-driven, even if identifiable trends in media coverage did precede the bumps and dips (and I haven't seen evidence for that, either). 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Media coverage influences perceptions, but good candidates influence media coverage.   I don't know how you separate one from the other.  If a candidate is unable to use the media to his or her advantage, it makes that person a bad candidate, in terms of ability to win

Sure. I don't really disagree with this.

A key example is how Pete and Beto handled things in the early months. Pete took every single media opportunity he could and Beto eschewed national TV and just focused on retail politics. 

I am bothered, however, by the phrase "use the media" as attached to the concept of good/bad candidate and winning ability. "Use" can mean a million different things here. 

I don't see any support for this notion that the polling shifts are media-driven rather than candidate-driven, even if identifiable trends in media coverage did precede the bumps and dips (and I haven't seen evidence for that, either). 

It's both, so "rather than" doesn't really work. I'm not arguing that the candidate doesn't matter at all, just the media, I'm just pointing out that the media's role in perception is powerful.

16 hours ago, UTDD said:

That might be terrible advice.  If he can't handle the pressure of simple things like speaking engagements, that should speak volumes about his merits as a candidate.  He should go all out and if he loses, he loses or he wins, he wins and voters feel comfortable he ran the Dem primary gauntlet ready for Trump.  Even if he wins the nomination "playing defense" that hurts him against Trump badly.

He's sundowning.

41 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

He's sundowning.

Who knows, you may be right.  All the more reason to vet him hard and if he fails, he fails.  If he survives, you have a lot less doubt going into the general election.  I have nothing personal against any candidate including Biden but you hope the primary weeds out the weak and unprepared to result in a very strong and capable candidate.

You know you have a homerun candidate when your strategy shifts to significantly limiting their exposure. 

"Joe, we just think it's better for people to not see or hear from you.  Trust me, it's our best shot."

"It just runs counter to everything I've learned about campaigning.  I mean, exposure is good.  Right?"

"You'd think so.  But that's surface thinking.  We're digging deep here.  I've prepared a long list of all the places we're not gonna go and all the things you're not gonna say."

"Can I see the list of things I'm not supposed to say?"

"Absolutely not."

"Why?"

"Because you'll say them."  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

All the Biden hate here is depressing.  He's the only shot at keeping Dotard from another 4 years of running our country into a ditch, and some Democrats are intent on eating their young (old) to make a point, that will mean nothing in the long term.

Who else you got?  Warren? Harris? Sanders? Yeah, that's never fucking going to happen. The R machine with Russian and corporate help will ground them into salt.  

I'll take Biden in a wheelchair with saliva dripping from his lips if it means we can move on as a nation, get that fucking sociopath out of office, then figure out the next steps.  We'll need a full four years, if not more, to right the ship.  Then maybe the Warren's or Harris's or Beto's of the world can step in and start enacting the legislation needed.  Or fucking hell, maybe a decent R candidate will step in (doubles over laughing).

Biden is the only D shot of getting that fuckstain out of office.  Thinking otherwise is pissing up a rope.

All the Biden hate here is depressing.  He's the only shot at keeping Dotard from another 4 years of running our country into a ditch, and some Democrats are intent on eating their young (old) to make a point, that will mean nothing in the long term.
Who else you got?  Warren? Harris? Sanders? Yeah, that's never fucking going to happen. The R machine with Russian and corporate help will ground them into salt.  
I'll take Biden in a wheelchair with saliva dripping from his lips if it means we can move on as a nation, get that fucking sociopath out of office, then figure out the next steps.  We'll need a full four years, if not more, to right the ship.  Then maybe the Warren's or Harris's or Beto's of the world can step in and start enacting the legislation needed.  Or fucking hell, maybe a decent R candidate will step in (doubles over laughing).
Biden is the only D shot of getting that fuckstain out of office.  Thinking otherwise is pissing up a rope.

This post is everything wrong with everything.

Biden is not the only candidate capable of beating Trump and the continual amateur punditry from voters parroting this line of nonsense is becoming a self fulfilling prophecy.
  • Like 1

Biden is a shit national candidate and has always been a shit national candidate. He's possibly now suffering from cognitive decline though it's hard to tell considering he always put his foot in his mouth. He is also wildly out of touch with the democratic party and the sources of strife and division in our country. He is absolutely not the best shot at beating Trump and that narrative is rapidly deteriorating.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

Who did you think would win the last election in August 2015? 

6 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

“There’s an awfully lot of good Republicans out there.  They’re decent people.”  - Biden 

uh, no.  get this guy the fuck out of here immediately.  

Every R accusation is a confession. For 30 years, RushFoxHannity spewed the idea that no D in Congress could be trusted when crafting legislation. D's passed ACA with multiple R amendments iirc.

In 2019, you send a House bill to the Senate, and it dies a slow death in Turtle's inbox.

Every R accusation is a confession. For 30 years, RushFoxHannity spewed the idea that no D in Congress could be trusted when crafting legislation. D's passed ACA with multiple R amendments iirc.
In 2019, you send a House bill to the Senate, and it dies a slow death in Turtle's inbox.

There were no Republican amendments. Pelosi and Reid pushed it thought without any Republican support or say-so.

But regardless—Biden is wrong. There are no good Republicans. That’s why a question he needs to be asked in a debate is whether he would pardon Donald Trump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

That’s why a question he needs to be asked in a debate is whether he would pardon Donald Trump.

I wish, but our corporate media would never dare ask that question. 

That question will have to come from another candidate to Biden during the debates.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

This post is everything wrong with everything.

Biden is not the only candidate capable of beating Trump and the continual amateur punditry from voters parroting this line of nonsense is becoming a self fulfilling prophecy.
You keep lamenting "amateur punditry" but I'm struggling to see the point you're making. I mean first off what else are people supposed to do on a message board in primary season? Talking, speculating and trying to parse through candidates strengths and weaknesses is perfectly normal and healthy at this stage.

Let me add that I have no intention to vote for Biden in the primary and I hope we can do better. That said, most of the "amateur punditry" in support of Joe is based off of polling, which is the only hard data we have. There's lots of speculation about who can carry the rust belt, etc., but right now the only actual data we have shows that the two old fart guys are the best bet there. It seems like you just don't like "amateur punditry" when you disagree with it.

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you, just trying to understand where you're coming from.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/08/20/joe-biden-old-age-1468635?

Lulz.

The two brain aneurysms Biden suffered in 1988 were fully treated and he showed no signs of mental trouble as a result, said Dr. Neal Kassell, who performed the surgery on Biden three decades ago. Nor did Biden suffer any brain damage that could come back to haunt him in old age, Kassell said.

“He is every bit as sharp as he was 31 years ago. I haven’t seen any change,” Kassell said.

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/08/20/joe-biden-old-age-1468635?

Lulz.

The two brain aneurysms Biden suffered in 1988 were fully treated and he showed no signs of mental trouble as a result, said Dr. Neal Kassell, who performed the surgery on Biden three decades ago. Nor did Biden suffer any brain damage that could come back to haunt him in old age, Kassell said.

“He is every bit as sharp as he was 31 years ago. I haven’t seen any change,” Kassell said.

That kinda sucks for what young Joe was, but I guess it's probably OK news for a 30 year older Joe.

Yes Joe, tell me more about these dog whistles.

This is the fundamental difference between the Warren and Biden campaigns.  

In last night’s town hall, I can’t remember Liz bringing up Trump once.  Not a single mention of Trump the entire hour and you wouldn’t notice it unless someone pointed it out to you.   The crowd was fired up and mesmerized all the same.   

Warren is running a campaign that imagines an America where Donald Trump doesn’t even exist

Joe Biden is running a campaign that constantly reminds you about the danger Donald Trump. 

I wonder which one resonates better with voters? 

• Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Things seem to be going quite well for Joe Biden