Things seem to be going quite well for Joe Biden

Parliament

29 minutes ago, bolverk said:

edit: @henrygandorf

I'd just say that there are two poles and a spectrum in between and that no one's gender (as opposed to sex) is entirely static.

yeah, i guess it was more of a definition issue for me.  sex vs gender.

my main takeaway - he calls women younger than him "kid" so we can rule out him being condescending to kamala.

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

You probably whack off to pictures of people licking his butt hole

Whack off and shoot a load on your mom's face while we both watch you lick Donnies orange bunghole.......whooooo... The plot thickens...

• Fuck You 1

I think we're nearing Biden's collapse. Once people start dropping off because he's no longer viewed as inevitable--either to win the nomination or to beat Trump--there will be a feedback loop and his support will quickly dissipate. Warren will be the clear frontrunner then.

• Like 2

On 8/9/2019 at 1:48 PM, Chooky said:

Joe Biden isn't suffering from old age and a mind that's slowly deteriorating into dementia.  He has always been an unexceptional dumbfuck.  Biden and Trump running against each other would be metaphorically perfect right now:  America cleaning a loaded shotgun, taking occasional breaks to peak with one eye down the barrel.  

I am trying to imagine a Biden/Trump debate.  No debate with Trump will be a match of wits.  It will be a street fight in suits.  Trump will attempt to body out the opposition like Barkley looking for a rebound, interrupting and talking over them, seating whatever skeletons they may have in the closet in the front row.  It’s going to be tough for the challenger to get a message across that connects with America.  If they aren’t careful, they could easily be goaded into a silly zero-sum word fight with Trump where both look childish or wind up looking like a door mat that can be walked over.  No matter how on point their policy ideas may be.

I think Biden is the worst possible choice in that context.  He’ll look even more old, feeble, senile and weak than he is with a bunch of angry women he’s groped over the years giving him the stink eye from the front row.

I favor Warren’s policies, but I’d love to see a Trump/Kamala Harris debate complete with a falcon punch to his nuts when he tries to use his physical mass to make her seem small and weak.

Edited by Goredho

Biden's brother took a 500,000 dollar loan from a Ukranian donor:

A donor with deep ties to Ukraine loaned Joe Biden’s younger brother half-a-million dollars at the same time the then-vice president oversaw U.S. policy toward the country, according to public records reviewed by POLITICO.

The 2015 loan came as Biden’s brother faced financial difficulties related to his acquisition of a multimillion-dollar vacation home, nicknamed “the Biden Bungalow,” in South Florida.

There is no indication that the loan influenced Joe Biden’s official actions, but it furthers a decades-long pattern, detailed in a POLITICO investigation earlier this month, by which relatives of the former vice president have leaned on his political allies for money and otherwise benefited financially from the Biden name.

Details of the loan are laid out in property records in Collier County, Florida, where Biden’s younger brother, James, and James’ wife Sara, owned until recently a home on Keewaydin Island. The luxurious, six-bed, seven-bath home comes with a guest house and sits on five acres along a pristine, miles-long stretch of sandy beach.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/08/15/james-biden-bungalow-ukraine-donor-1463645

On 8/10/2019 at 4:50 PM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Reveal hidden contents

53494106-E375-402C-85E6-CB60B15FF4EB_zps

These school and non-school shootings run together. I could have recalled that parkland was either in 2017 or 18 but I draw a blank on many others.  Was New Town in 2010?  2015?  I’m only confident it was during Obama’s admin but with a gop senate.  So i guess it makes it 2011+. 

I cant even place the year of the Santa Fe high school shooting and that wasn’t far from me.  Too many mass shootings.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/16/us/politics/biden-obama-history.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share

The two men spoke at least a half dozen times before Mr. Biden decided to run, and Mr. Obama took pains to cast his doubts about the campaign in personal terms.

“You don’t have to do this, Joe, you really don’t,” Mr. Obama told Mr. Biden earlier this year, according to a person familiar with the exchange.

Mr. Biden — who thinks he could have defeated Donald Trump four years ago — responded by telling Mr. Obama he could never forgive himself if he turned down a second shot at Mr. Trump.

Mr. Obama has said he will not make an endorsement in the primary, and has offered every candidate his counsel. But he has taken an active interest in the inner workings of his friend’s campaign, to an extent beyond anything offered to other candidates.

In his interactions with Mr. Biden — the pair had a quiet lunch in Washington last month — Mr. Obama has hammered away at the need for his campaign to expand his aging inner circle.

He has communicated his frustration that Mr. Biden’s closest advisers are too old and out of touch with the current political climate — urging him to include more younger aides, according to three Democrats with direct knowledge of the discussion.

In March, Mr. Obama took the unusual step of summoning Mr. Biden’s top campaign advisers, including the former White House communications director Anita Dunn and Mr. Biden’s longtime spokeswoman, Kate Bedingfield, to his Washington office for a briefing on the campaign’s digital and communications strategy with members of his own staff, including his senior adviser, Eric Schultz.

When they were done, Mr. Obama offered a pointed reminder, according to two people with knowledge of his comments:

Win or lose, they needed to make sure Mr. Biden did not “embarrass himself” or “damage his legacy” during the campaign.

162874_o.gif

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/16/us/politics/biden-obama-history.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share

The two men spoke at least a half dozen times before Mr. Biden decided to run, and Mr. Obama took pains to cast his doubts about the campaign in personal terms.

“You don’t have to do this, Joe, you really don’t,” Mr. Obama told Mr. Biden earlier this year, according to a person familiar with the exchange.

Mr. Biden — who thinks he could have defeated Donald Trump four years ago — responded by telling Mr. Obama he could never forgive himself if he turned down a second shot at Mr. Trump.

Mr. Obama has said he will not make an endorsement in the primary, and has offered every candidate his counsel. But he has taken an active interest in the inner workings of his friend’s campaign, to an extent beyond anything offered to other candidates.

In his interactions with Mr. Biden — the pair had a quiet lunch in Washington last month — Mr. Obama has hammered away at the need for his campaign to expand his aging inner circle.

He has communicated his frustration that Mr. Biden’s closest advisers are too old and out of touch with the current political climate — urging him to include more younger aides, according to three Democrats with direct knowledge of the discussion.

In March, Mr. Obama took the unusual step of summoning Mr. Biden’s top campaign advisers, including the former White House communications director Anita Dunn and Mr. Biden’s longtime spokeswoman, Kate Bedingfield, to his Washington office for a briefing on the campaign’s digital and communications strategy with members of his own staff, including his senior adviser, Eric Schultz.

When they were done, Mr. Obama offered a pointed reminder, according to two people with knowledge of his comments:

Win or lose, they needed to make sure Mr. Biden did not “embarrass himself” or “damage his legacy” during the campaign.

162874_o.gif

Translation, we don't give a fuck about Joe, we just don't want to fuck the democrat party with a potential loss to Trump with Joe as our candidate, even though most democrats (moderates ) would probably make him the nominee

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Translation, we don't give a fuck about Joe, we just don't want to fuck the democrat party with a potential loss to Trump with Joe as our candidate, even though most democrats (moderates ) would probably make him the nominee

Perhaps, I interpret it as:  

Dear democrats:  it’s time to explore other options.  We tried really hard to make Joe Biden happen but it’s not happening.  He’s not the guy but Joe Biden doesn’t know it yet, that’s the problem. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Perhaps, I interpret it as:  

Dear democrats:  it’s time to explore other options.  We tried really hard to make Joe Biden happen but it’s not happening.  He’s not the guy but Joe Biden doesn’t know it yet, that’s the problem. 

Semantics

I think Joe could have beaten Trump in 16

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 6:34 AM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Back into shadows grandpa 

That might be terrible advice.  If he can't handle the pressure of simple things like speaking engagements, that should speak volumes about his merits as a candidate.  He should go all out and if he loses, he loses or he wins, he wins and voters feel comfortable he ran the Dem primary gauntlet ready for Trump.  Even if he wins the nomination "playing defense" that hurts him against Trump badly.

Edited by UTDD

Joe would have easily beaten Trump last time around. Really anyone with a pulse not named Hillary Clinton would have. Joe should have run in 2016. That was his time. Now it's not. He missed his window and now he's throwing good money after bad.

Edited by BradInATX

9 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Joe would have easily beaten Trump last time around. Really anyone with a pulse not named Hillary Clinton would have. Joe should have run in 2016. That was his time. Now it's not. He missed his window and now he's throwing good money after bad.

I'm sorry, but please stop talking about what ifs, Hugo has spoken.

• Like 1

The "electability" piece of perception is extremely dependent on public perception, which is extremely dependent on media coverage. Pete boomed because the media class fell in love with him, and when their eyes wandered over to Liz... Liz goes up and Pete goes down. It also explains why the voting base that is so in-the-tank for Liz now (post-grad whites with money and careers) only just recently showed up for her after flirting with other candidates who were getting more positive media than her.

doherty-youngvoters-1.png?w=575

"Electability" (and therefore media perception) is very important to older votes. Far more important to them than to younger voters

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

The "electability" piece of perception is extremely dependent on public perception, which is extremely dependent on media coverage. Pete boomed because the media class fell in love with him, and when their eyes wandered over to Liz... Liz goes up and Pete goes down. It also explains why the voting base that is so in-the-tank for Liz now (post-grad whites with money and careers) only just recently showed up for her after flirting with other candidates who were getting more positive media than her.

doherty-youngvoters-1.png?w=575

"Electability" (and therefore media perception) is very important to older votes. Far more important to them than to younger voters

If that were true, Pete's electability among Dems and poll numbers should reflect that drop.    Instead, it's been pretty stable and gone up slightly:  32 in June and 35 now, according to that poll, and his poll numbers have hovered between 5-7 percent while Warren shot up 10+ points over the same period. 

12 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

If that were true, Pete's electability among Dems and poll numbers should reflect that drop.    Instead, it's been pretty stable and gone up slightly:  32 in June and 35 now, according to that poll, and his poll numbers have hovered between 5-7 percent while Warren shot up 10+ points over the same period. 

Electability and preference are different things, though. A Pete voter can become a Liz voter and still think Pete is electable.

4 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Electability and preference are different things, though. A Pete voter can become a Liz voter and still think Pete is electable.

But the preference polls haven't shown even a correlation between Pete and Warren support.   He's stayed stable; she's on a solid incline.   Where are you getting this Pete-to-Warren thing from? 

I wasn't arguing that Warren pulled all of her support from Pete, I am just giving an example of how media coverage influences perceptions.

Pete is 3 points off his peak. Doesn't seem like much, but his RCP peak was 8%, so 3 is kind of big.

A more dramatic example is Harris, who had a massive spike due to media coverage/debate showing that has since faded (-7 since then).

Warren's rise does correspond with Pete and Kamala plateauing/dropping, though. Bernie's been in the 15-18% zone since early May (he dropped after Biden announced and hasn't recovered to his previous highs).

• immamac changed the title to Things seem to be going quite well for Joe Biden