Things seem to be going quite well for Joe Biden

Parliament

16 minutes ago, qwertyu1234 said:

The more i learn about the guy, the more i dislike him. 

There has been virtually no goods news about him since deciding to run, so its surprising that his poll numbers remain solid. 

Polls huh?

huffpo-hillary.jpg?w=500&h=298

Back in the early seventies, I once heard my dad refer to a brazil nut as a "nigger toe".  We were in the tv/ping pong room, and I think we were watching wide wide world of sports or Mutual of Omaha, and dad liked to crack nuts and hand them out.   Sometimes if we promised not to spill, we could have Handy Andy soda waters.  

All this talk is making me think that the next time I'm down visiting him, I need to bring this up, and let him know that even though I was a child when he said it, it really kind of upset me.

He's got some serious memory issues now, but I'm convinced if all of us kids gather around him, and repeat, over and over, "remember when you called the brazil nut a nigger toe?", he'd eventually remember, and we can all have a teaching moment.

1 minute ago, tantric superman said:

Back in the early seventies, I once heard my dad refer to a brazil nut as a "nigger toe".  We were in the tv/ping pong room, and I think we were watching wide wide world of sports or Mutual of Omaha, and dad liked to crack nuts and hand them out.   Sometimes if we promised not to spill, we could have Handy Andy soda waters.  

All this talk is making me think that the next time I'm down visiting him, I need to bring this up, and let him know that even though I was a child when he said it, it really kind of upset me.

He's got some serious memory issues now, but I'm convinced if all of us kids gather around him, and repeat, over and over, "remember when you called the brazil nut a nigger toe?", he'd eventually remember, and we can all have a teaching moment.

Knowing what this is makes me feel very, very old.

Let me ask a question that sort of baffles me. If it's obvious to us that he's at worst a racist, at best an antiquated product of his time, why doesn't black America jettison him? We seem to be more offended than they are. What's the disconnect? Are we being PC boujie suburban white liberals? It just doesn't make a lot of sense why blacks still support him with bells on. Because to me calling someone "boy" is fightin' words, regardless of race.

17 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Let me ask a question that sort of baffles me. If it's obvious to us that he's at worst a racist, at best an antiquated product of his time, why doesn't black America jettison him? We seem to be more offended than they are. What's the disconnect? Are we being PC boujie suburban white liberals? It just doesn't make a lot of sense why blacks still support him with bells on. Because to me calling someone "boy" is fightin' words, regardless of race.

He was Obama's veep - I think it's that simple.

He was Obama's veep - I think it's that simple.

Happily accepted his role as subordinate and cheerleader to the most powerful black man ever.  

Good point. I'd like him too. Was surely for political and personal gain. But still.. yeah.

Lost in everything is that he's probably a pretty good dude and there's a lot to like about old Joe. But God damn if he's not a terrible fit for America in 2020. He's 4 years too late.

27 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

It's very early in the process and very few people are paying attention. Biden is getting exposed online, but this stuff isn't really in the mass media.

MSNBC and CNN are fully in-the-tank. Stephanie Rhule on MSNBC was chastising Bernie for criticizing Biden; Joe Scarborough was literally tearing up while defending Biden.

Also, don't think the black vote is a monolith. Biden is doing great among old people, including old black voters. Younger black voters will not forgive him as easily or as quickly. An older black person is used to forgiving all white leaders for racism because that's been the history. Younger black people are more empowered to demand better and less likely to buy the bullshit spin.

Also, younger black voters weren't raised with Biden and his ilk in power. They aren't used to that game like older black voters.

The black vote under 40 isn't going to read Biden's letter to Eastland, thanking him for helping Biden knife school desegregation, and think, "Oh that's cool."

It's very early in the process and very few people are paying attention. Biden is getting exposed online, but this stuff isn't really in the mass media. MSNBC and CNN are fully in-the-tank. Stephanie Rhule on MSNBC was chastising Bernie for criticizing Biden; Joe Scarborough was literally tearing up while defending Biden.

Also, don't think the black vote is a monolith. Biden is doing great among old people, including old black voters. Younger black voters will not forgive him as easily or as quickly. An older black person is used to forgiving all white leaders for racism because that's been the history. Younger black people are more empowered to demand better and less likely to buy the bullshit spin.

Also, younger black voters weren't raised with Biden and his ilk in power. They aren't used to that game like older black voters.

The black vote under 40 isn't going to read Biden's letter to Eastland, thanking him for helping Biden knife school desegregation, and think, "Oh that's cool."

Yeah. These are all great points too. There's definitely a delineation between older blacks who see the cheese dick Bill Clinton and Joe Bidens of the world as allies, and the young ones who see them for what they are. It's sad to think that to all of them of any age, some chump like Biden is an "improvement". And of course all of us who stand upright and are capable of coherent thought realize he would be better than what we have. But for shit's sake, better than what we have =/= good. 

Hopefully you're right and once primary season gets going, people outside of us white suburb nerds will see what's up.

And lol at the sneaky Bernie interjection. I hope you never change. Seriously.

We won't really know where Joe Biden really stands until there are three or four candidates left. The size of this field is helping him by diluting the liberal wing of the Democratic Party.
I think it's going to wind up being a contest between Uncle Joe, Bernie, and Liz. 
I think (hope) the last 3 will be Joe, Bernie or Liz, and some other non-Biden "centrist" candidate. If I was a gambler (which I am), I'd bet on Harris. But I'm biased because I think she has the biggest swinging dick in the entire field and I'd love to see her embarrass Trump 1v1.

I'm not sure I even get the "boy" point Biden was trying to make.  Was he suggesting that being called "son" was equivalent to a black guy getting called "boy", and that he was able to be civil despite that condescension from the old cracker?   Or was he sort of chuckling fondly with nostalgia at how the old rascal would use such terms?  Either way isn't a good look. 

Edited by Mojo Hand

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/rubycramer/elizabeth-warren-2020-joe-biden-switch

“These People Are Ready To Bolt”: Elizabeth Warren Allies Plan To Target Joe Biden Voters

Adam Green, cofounder of the PCCC, a Washington, DC–based organization that has partnered with Warren since she entered politics as a 2012 Senate candidate, said that their “Switch to Warren” push will focus in large part on Biden supporters concerned most about nominating the candidate best positioned to defeat President Trump.

“They don’t need an excuse,” Green said of Biden voters, citing Warren’s recent rise in the polls. “The moment they get a sense that he’s not the best to go against Trump, they won’t need any further permission to leave Biden for somebody else.”

“These people are ready to bolt.”

In a field of more than 20 candidates, the former vice president leads early polls with support from nearly a third of Democrats. Over the last month, as she’s managed to command media attention and capture audiences, Warren is now polling alongside Bernie Sanders and Pete Buttigieg in the tier of candidates just behind Biden.

“People think Warren’s challenge is how to take a bunch of Bernie supporters,” Green said of the other leading progressive in the race. “The two big honeypots for Warren are actually Biden supporters and undecided voters, all of whom are electability voters looking to go with somebody who can inspire voters in the general election.”

The Switch to Warren effort, which asks newly converted supporters to detail their reasons for changing their minds, will make the case that primary voters have been surprised by the Warren they meet on the trail: Where the public might know her as a Harvard professor, or “a wonk,” said Green, they hear her talk at campaign events about growing up working class in Oklahoma, or struggling as a single mother, or working in bankruptcy law on the same issues that now inform her campaign policy proposals.

But the new project is also a sign that the group is willing to use its membership of nearly 1 million people to challenge Biden and the widely held perception that he’d be the safest choice in a general election.

So far, Green said, they’ve collected testimonials from voters who have switched to Warren from Biden and Sanders both in states like Ohio, Georgia, and California.

Joe Biden is a proud black man who grew up poor and used his black church for not only worship, but to organize and fight against the institutional segregation that tyrannical whites, like Joe Biden, authored and endorsed. Nobody has stridently fought for civil rights against Joe Biden more than Joe Biden. Joe Biden took Joe Biden head on and Joe Biden knows Joe Biden will never give up, either. One of Joe Biden's campaign logos to promote unity between races is a Joe Biden hand shaking a Joe Biden hand. It's a powerful image that communicates that whether we're Joe Biden or Joe Biden, we're all equal.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

• immamac changed the title to Things seem to be going quite well for Joe Biden