SC girl is murdered after getting in wrong car

ajax

18 hours ago, Nivek said:

I'm only saying this because I care, there are a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market today that are just as tasty as the real thing.

It's not the caffeine honeychile, it's the dipshits who think their civil rights are being threatened if, I don't know, someone makes a suggestion about improving safety. 

You know, the human brain gets lulled into a sense of security about things that it shouldn't.  That's why there are checklists, systems, etc. for repetitive tasks.  So we don't forget to do things when we are on autopilot.  And no I'm not suggesting there be a fucking checklist for hailing an Uber.   But  how about a quick blast from the app reminding people to check their rides?  Or a sign at the bar exit? You know, like the ones that say don't drive if you've been drinking? Like buckle up?  Like every fucking safety campaign that exists  about things that people need to sometimes be REMINDED to do, especially if they have impaired judgement - because  not everyone is as brilliant or can handle their liquor as well as you, or is at the same risk of something going afoul? Or would something like that cause you more apoplexy and angst and offend your delicate sensibilities about our becoming an nanny state?

Who knows, maybe she checked out her ride every time but this one.  Maybe she never did because she was young, naive, drunk, whatever.   I know shit happens, has happened, and will always happen, and nothing is going to prevent every tragedy.  But if inexpensive or unobtrusive things can be done to reduce the odds of ride share robberies, rapes and murders happening in the future, why not fucking do them? Every major industry has made adjustments and safety improvements as time goes by.  This is in the grand scheme of things new technology - upgrades happen all the time to improve efficiency, ease of use, etc., but God forbid we make them more safe.  Darwinism baby!  Cull the stupid ones!  I mean we can't save them all so why bother, right?

Oh yeah, and the idea that she was passed out drunk in the back seat and never knew what was going on is fucking laughable. Again not to say it doesn't ever happen.  But as a rule, women do not have the luxury of passing out in the backseat of a car with a strange dude no matter how many stars he has from Uber. Hell it's probably statistically more of a risk to pass out in a car with someone you do know.  Anyway maybe it gives some of y'all some comfort to think that's the way it went down.  I'd bet every penny I have that it didn't.

One quick shout-out to Mullet - dude I'm sorry your ex-wife is an asshole and won't let you see your kid.  I know that's got to hurt.  But really, if you're trying to use that as some kind of analogy for the topic of this thread....just stop.  And yeah if you do something stupid, and something happens, then bad on you.  But some of us who are at more risk than others are a little more interested in seeing if there are things that might help level the playing field. And if you're offended by offering some assistance to those who might be at more of a disadvantage if we make a bad choice....well, sorry mate.  But I'm sure as hell not going to apologize for it.  

8 minutes ago, M12BH said:

It's not the caffeine honeychile, it's the dipshits who think their civil rights are being threatened if, I don't know, someone makes a suggestion about improving safety. 

You know, the human brain gets lulled into a sense of security about things that it shouldn't.  That's why there are checklists, systems, etc. for repetitive tasks.  So we don't forget to do things when we are on autopilot.  And no I'm not suggesting there be a fucking checklist for hailing an Uber.   But  how about a quick blast from the app reminding people to check their rides?  Or a sign at the bar exit? You know, like the ones that say don't drive if you've been drinking? Like buckle up?  Like every fucking safety campaign that exists  about things that people need to sometimes be REMINDED to do, especially if they have impaired judgement - because  not everyone is as brilliant or can handle their liquor as well as you, or is at the same risk of something going afoul? Or would something like that cause you more apoplexy and angst and offend your delicate sensibilities about our becoming an nanny state?

Who knows, maybe she checked out her ride every time but this one.  Maybe she never did because she was young, naive, drunk, whatever.   I know shit happens, has happened, and will always happen, and nothing is going to prevent every tragedy.  But if inexpensive or unobtrusive things can be done to reduce the odds of ride share robberies, rapes and murders happening in the future, why not fucking do them? Every major industry has made adjustments and safety improvements as time goes by.  This is in the grand scheme of things new technology - upgrades happen all the time to improve efficiency, ease of use, etc., but God forbid we make them more safe.  Darwinism baby!  Cull the stupid ones!  I mean we can't save them all so why bother, right?

Oh yeah, and the idea that she was passed out drunk in the back seat and never knew what was going on is fucking laughable. Again not to say it doesn't ever happen.  But as a rule, women do not have the luxury of passing out in the backseat of a car with a strange dude no matter how many stars he has from Uber. Hell it's probably statistically more of a risk to pass out in a car with someone you do know.  Anyway maybe it gives some of y'all some comfort to think that's the way it went down.  I'd bet every penny I have that it didn't.

One quick shout-out to Mullet - dude I'm sorry your ex-wife is an asshole and won't let you see your kid.  I know that's got to hurt.  But really, if you're trying to use that as some kind of analogy for the topic of this thread....just stop.  And yeah if you do something stupid, and something happens, then bad on you.  But some of us who are at more risk than others are a little more interested in seeing if there are things that might help level the playing field. And if you're offended by offering some assistance to those who might be at more of a disadvantage if we make a bad choice....well, sorry mate.  But I'm sure as hell not going to apologize for it.  

Well if it ain't caffeine, it's meth or coke.

• Like 1

I'm not a big user of Uber/Lyft but the anecdotal evidence is that they do have a problem with people jumping into the wrong cars. Seems like they should address that operational problem which also improve safety.

I would recommend they create a QR code sticker and place it on the side windows. Then give the rider the OPTIONAL measure to scan it before they get in. It effectively duplicates the process of looking at the license plate.

This doesn't prevent a murderer from pretending to be an uber driver. Which no one is suggesting they can prevent that. 

This thread was worth for the many "safety enhancement" recommendations made by posters who very clearly have never even downloaded the app onto their phone. 

We need to have a discussion about the possibility of doing more.

You are all over the place. Civil rights? Lol.
A blast from the Uber ride? Lol. Have you ever taken one?

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

This thread was worth for the many "safety enhancement" recommendations made by posters who very clearly have never even downloaded the app onto their phone. 

Agreed, name of driver, their phone number, exact location, make, model, and license plate should be more than enough for someone not to jump in the wrong car. It really isn't that difficult. 

36 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Agreed, name of driver, their phone number, exact location, make, model, and license plate should be more than enough for someone not to jump in the wrong car. It really isn't that difficult. 

Then why does it apparently happen? Maybe Uber can hire you to educate their riders.

5 hours ago, M12BH said:

I deleted the rest of the wall of text to save the board.

honest question here.  Have you used either Uber or Lyft in the last 6 months?

because I can barely fucking see you from the height of that horse you are on. 

And you are starting to sound like the idiot blue hairs that voted against the 2 apps in 2016 because a fucking fingerprint hadnt been "FBI inspected"

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

You are all over the place. Civil rights? Lol.
A blast from the Uber ride? Lol. Have you ever taken one?

Of course I've used Uber.  A blast from the APP.  You know, on your PHONE where the driver information is displayed.  Maybe a display that reminds you to check the license plate, number, etc of the vehicle into which you are about to enter, at the point in the app where you have to confirm that you want to be picked up.  I'm sorry if I'm not up on the preferred nomenclature, I'm not a programmer and I'm not in that industry.  But it might help all those poor human beings who are not quite as superior as you remember to do that, if they are not otherwise inclined or are distracted or have a brain fart or whatever.  I mean, at what level does negligence rise to the point where if it gets you raped and murdered, everyone else should just shrug, say, "Damn, sucks to be her, she shoulda had her head on a swivel", and move on?  How in the fuck does it possibly hurt you or your fee-fees to attempt to minimize the odds of that happening to someone else not as big, strong and manly as you in the future?  If you give no shits, why are you even here arguing about it and insisting that it's not a valid topic of conversation?

And yeah you were the one whining about the expansion of the nanny state in this context.  You know, where the government interferes with your personal choices and your rights.  I've never suggested that anything become mandatory or codified. So go be scared about that to someone else.  Now go enjoy your life grasshopper, and don't worry about anyone else less intelligent, less lucky, or less fortunate.  Cause whatever it is, they have it coming and you shouldn't concern your little head about it.

13 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

I deleted the rest of the wall of text to save the board.

honest question here.  Have you used either Uber or Lyft in the last 6 months?

because I can barely fucking see you from the height of that horse you are on. 

And you are starting to sound like the idiot blue hairs that voted against the 2 apps in 2016 because a fucking fingerprint hadnt been "FBI inspected"

Appropos of nothing but I used it last Saturday to get from Town Lake back home.  Driver showed up in a black Ford Edge at 8:41PM, it cost me $11.13 and I threw in a $2 tip.  Took about 20 minutes what with all the Beto traffic.  And I'm a redhead.  Anything else I can help you with, cupcake?  

On edit - yeah people are stupid.  Doesn't mean they should get raped and killed for it.  Why the fuck do you care if Uber tweaks their policies to try to miminize that possibility? 

Edited by M12BH

4 minutes ago, M12BH said:

Appropos of nothing but I used it last Saturday to get from Town Lake back home.  Driver showed up in a black Ford Edge at 8:41PM, it cost me $11.13 and I threw in a $2 tip.  Took about 20 minutes what with all the Beto traffic.  And I'm a redhead.  Anything else I can help you with, cupcake?  

color me impressed.  A Redheaded blue hair.

so, as a female using the app, maybe a little drunk.... do you use the safety fucking features built into the app?  Or do you randomly fucking jump into the first car that stops near you?

Lemme answer that for you, since you arent dead, the obvious answer is yes. You used your big brain to verify you were in the right car, and you got a safe ride.

The entire point most of us have made is we are seriously depressed to hear of the girls murder, but she absolutely has to take responsibility for how she got into that situation, and you cant blame the apps if she doesnt use the safety features built into them.... In addition to the fact the girl HAD HER CELLPHONE IN HER HAND, meaning she was 3 fucking digits away from at least alerting authorities that she was in trouble.   

I absolutely feel for her family, but its not like anyone on the busy street saw a struggle once she got in the car- meaning she was preoccupied at the moment she could have saved herself, and the fill in the blank options are A) she passed out or B) she was too busy doing something on her phone to not notice she was in trouble.   

If she was so drunk and passed out,  then there is a much higher chance she would have passed out on the sidewalk falling into the street just as a car came by and ran her over - and we all agree if that happened it would have been a sad self-made tragedy.    

And if she wasnt drunk, but was driving home herself, but too busy fucking with her phone, crashed the car and died- we all would agree that would be a terrible self-made tragedy.

BOTH of those incidents have a FUCKTON higher chance of happening that a girl getting in a completely non-uber/lyft car with a psycho who was intent on killing a woman that night.

and yet you blame uber/lyft for not being safe enough even though there are about 7 legit safety features built into the app?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

For some people in this world, there will never be anything that is "safe enough". Our culture is obsessed with the notion of safety, particularly the olds and the scareds that live in gated communities and never have any interaction with real people in the world with the exception of the gal in the Starbucks drive through. Everything television tells them is that the world is very scary, and that the world could be so much safer, and why hasn't the technology company thought of these ideas I have, even though I have never used their product and don't realize they have existed for years?

37 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

so, as a female using the app, maybe a little drunk.... do you use the safety fucking features built into the app?  Or do you randomly fucking jump into the first car that stops near you?

Lemme answer that for you, since you arent dead, the obvious answer is yes. You used your big brain to verify you were in the right car, and you got a safe ride.

The entire point most of us have made is we are seriously depressed to hear of the girls murder, but she absolutely has to take responsibility for how she got into that situation, and you cant blame the apps if she doesnt use the safety features built into them.... In addition to the fact the girl HAD HER CELLPHONE IN HER HAND, meaning she was 3 fucking digits away from at least alerting authorities that she was in trouble.   

I absolutely feel for her family, but its not like anyone on the busy street saw a struggle once she got in the car- meaning she was preoccupied at the moment she could have saved herself, and the fill in the blank options are A) she passed out or B) she was too busy doing something on her phone to not notice she was in trouble.   

If she was so drunk and passed out,  then there is a much higher chance she would have passed out on the sidewalk falling into the street just as a car came by and ran her over - and we all agree if that happened it would have been a sad self-made tragedy.    

And if she wasnt drunk, but was driving home herself, but too busy fucking with her phone, crashed the car and died- we all would agree that would be a terrible self-made tragedy.

BOTH of those incidents have a FUCKTON higher chance of happening that a girl getting in a completely non-uber/lyft car with a psycho who was intent on killing a woman that night.

and yet you blame uber/lyft for not being safe enough even though there are about 7 legit safety features built into the app?

Where have I blamed Uber/Lyft? I suggested something that might reduce the chance of something like this happening again.  And I politely answered your questions.  What are you so mad at me about?  Is your dick that limp, are you so terrified of considering something that might distract a girl's attention from your manliness for two seconds that might POSSIBLY help ensure her safety, that you have to insult the one making the suggestion?  Man, good luck with whatever ails you, and I hope you are successful in your next conquest, no matter the status of your or your date's rideshare app.

Anyway I'm through escalating shit over a girl's murder.  Y'all have nice evenings.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

27 minutes ago, M12BH said:

Where have I blamed Uber/Lyft? I suggested something that might reduce the chance of something like this happening again.  And I politely answered your questions.  What are you so mad at me about?  Is your dick that limp, are you so terrified of considering something that might distract a girl's attention from your manliness for two seconds that might POSSIBLY help ensure her safety, that you have to insult the one making the suggestion?  Man, good luck with whatever ails you, and I hope you are successful in your next conquest, no matter the status of your or your date's rideshare app.

Anyway I'm through escalating shit over a girl's murder.  Y'all have nice evenings.

GIVE.

ME.

ONE.

RATIONAL.

FUCKING.

SUGGESTION.

THAT.

COULD.

HAVE.

SAVED.

HER.

ONE. SUGGESTION.    you havent made a safety suggestion yet.

all you have done is come on here blasting all the men as cro-magnon's who only blame the woman, and you laugh at the suggestion that she ended up passed out drunk..... while completely ignoring the fact that she had a cell phone in her hand that at a bare minimum she could have called 911 with..... yet she didnt.   which STRONGLY implies she wasnt paying attention... which in your rant on the previous page you made very clear that as a woman you dont have the luxury of not paying attention.....   but the evidence shows otherwise.

Each of the apps has an emergency feature... she didnt use that. 

each of the apps could have told her she was in the wrong card because it would have shown her driver waiting for her.

each of the apps  CONFIRMS YOU HAVE BEEN PICKED UP.  

I absolutely respect the women in my life- even the ones I have just met, unless they call me an asshole, or lay hands on me... which is effectively what you have done.  you came in on here fists fucking swinging because all the penis' in the room didnt immediately bow to your red headed womanhood.

we appreciate alternate suggestions on here, but you have yet to give one that is rational.  We dont beg you for noodz, and if we did, theres a good chance the owner of the site would kick me out. But we sure as hell know how to internet argue, and if you cant fucking handle it, dont fucking come in here with both guns blazing.

• Like 3

I once had some sheltered suburbanites come spend the weekend with me.  My friend and his wife were visiting from near Houston. They wanted to go out to a bar since they left their kids with the grandparents for the weekend. First they were surprised when I didn't offer to drive us to the bar. Fuck that, we're drinking. We are using Uber.

As we waited for our ride I had to explain how Uber works to these people, they listened cautiously, as if they were about to board a rocketship on a Mission to Mars, and not a 10 minute drive in an Altima.

We get in the Uber, and of course for the first time ever I have a really cute and young driver. She's like 21 and doing this part time, and just as sweet and bubbly as can be. In fact, it's her only her second day as a driver! Well isn't that something. She was so excited about it and telling us all about her new adventures so far. 

All of the sudden the suburbanite wife, from the back seat, says "Aren't you worried that someone might get in your car and kill you? You shouldn't be driving by yourself and letting strangers into your car, that's ridiculous, someone's going to kidnap you."

All the good vibes switched to total awkward ear-piercing silence the rest of the way.  We hopped out at our stop, and I just gave her the "Welp, see ya later!", and she just stared straight ahead, stone-faced. I'm certain that she immediately turned off the app, drove home, uninstalled the app, and then never felt happiness again. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

GIVE.

ME.

ONE.

RATIONAL.

FUCKING.

SUGGESTION.

THAT.

COULD.

HAVE.

SAVED.

HER.

all you have done is come on here blasting all the men as cro-magnon's who only blame the woman, and you laugh at the suggestion that she ended up passed out drunk..... while completely ignoring the fact that she had a cell phone in her hand that at a bare minimum she could have called 911 with..... yet she didnt.   which STRONGLY implies she wasnt paying attention... which in your rant on the previous page you made very clear that as a woman you dont have the luxury of not paying attention.....   but the evidence shows otherwise.

each of the apps could have told her she was in the wrong card because it would have shown her driver waiting for her.

I absolutely respect the women in my life- even the ones I have just met, unless they call me an asshole, or lay hands on me... which is effectively what you have done.  you came in on here fists fucking swinging because all the penis' in the room didnt immediately bow to your red headed womanhood.

we appreciate alternate suggestions on here, but you have yet to give one that is rational.  We dont beg you for noodz, and if we did, theres a good chance the owner of the site would kick me out. But we sure as hell know how to internet argue, and if you cant fucking handle it, dont fucking come in here with both guns blazing.

This is getting so ridiculous. Just put her on ignore. This is like 5 posts from being a CR thread. 

3 hours ago, M12BH said:

Go virtue signal some place else pussy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TornACL said:

I once had some sheltered suburbanites come spend the weekend with me.  My friend and his wife were visiting from near Houston. They wanted to go out to a bar since they left their kids with the grandparents for the weekend. First they were surprised when I didn't offer to drive us to the bar. Fuck that, we're drinking. We are using Uber.

As we waited for our ride I had to explain how Uber works to these people, they listened cautiously, as if they were about to board a rocketship on a Mission to Mars, and not a 10 minute drive in an Altima.

We get in the Uber, and of course for the first time ever I have a really cute and young driver. She's like 21 and doing this part time, and just as sweet and bubbly as can be. In fact, it's her only her second day as a driver! Well isn't that something. She was so excited about it and telling us all about her new adventures so far. 

All of the sudden the suburbanite wife, from the back seat, says "Aren't you worried that someone might get in your car and kill you? You shouldn't be driving by yourself and letting strangers into your car, that's ridiculous, someone's going to kidnap you."

All the good vibes switched to total awkward ear-piercing silence the rest of the way.  We hopped out at our stop, and I just gave her the "Welp, see ya later!", and she just stared straight ahead, stone-faced. I'm certain that she immediately turned off the app, drove home, uninstalled the app, and then never felt happiness again. 

Pics of driver?

Just got this blast email from Uber:

Check your ride, every time
Before you ride, please make sure you're getting in the right car with the right driver by opening your app and completing 3 safety pickup steps:
1. Match the license plate number.
2. Match the car make and model.
3. Check the driver's photo.
When you've confirmed this information, get in, buckle up, and enjoy the ride. At Uber, your safety is important to us.

I get that all Shaggy posters are members of the Uber wealthy (hahah see what I did there?) 2% alpha male herd who bang only tens, have superior intelligence and never ever do dumbass things.  

Whoa there tiger. I must be in the 1%, because even the dumbass shit I did, landed me in bed with ten. So take that “making sense” bullshit somewhere else (lights cigar, ashes it on a ten’s ass, and jumps into the pool I don’t own wearing an American Flag Speedo).

Of course I've used Uber.  A blast from the APP.  You know, on your PHONE where the driver information is displayed.  Maybe a display that reminds you to check the license plate, number, etc of the vehicle into which you are about to enter, at the point in the app where you have to confirm that you want to be picked up.  I'm sorry if I'm not up on the preferred nomenclature, I'm not a programmer and I'm not in that industry.  But it might help all those poor human beings who are not quite as superior as you remember to do that, if they are not otherwise inclined or are distracted or have a brain fart or whatever.  I mean, at what level does negligence rise to the point where if it gets you raped and murdered, everyone else should just shrug, say, "Damn, sucks to be her, she shoulda had her head on a swivel", and move on?  How in the fuck does it possibly hurt you or your fee-fees to attempt to minimize the odds of that happening to someone else not as big, strong and manly as you in the future?  If you give no shits, why are you even here arguing about it and insisting that it's not a valid topic of conversation?
And yeah you were the one whining about the expansion of the nanny state in this context.  You know, where the government interferes with your personal choices and your rights.  I've never suggested that anything become mandatory or codified. So go be scared about that to someone else.  Now go enjoy your life grasshopper, and don't worry about anyone else less intelligent, less lucky, or less fortunate.  Cause whatever it is, they have it coming and you shouldn't concern your little head about it.

You need reminders not to drink from the toilet? Wash hands? When you fly do you just walk to the nearest gate/plane regardless of company, destination, or departure?

Are you aware you come across as a bit touched? You seem to be spend a bit of time tilting at windmills.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

You do know that you’re arguing against no one.   Absolutely zero people have blamed Uber/lyft for her death.    But please give us another 500 word rant about it.

14 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

GIVE.

ME.

ONE.

RATIONAL.

FUCKING.

SUGGESTION.

THAT.

COULD.

HAVE.

SAVED.

HER.

Ya know what would have helped her ?  

Intelligence.  Intelligence, or just paying attention to WTF was being displayed on her phone with regard to the vehicle, driver, and license plate number of the vehicle she was supposed to get in.  Men are pigs. She made a terrible mistake.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Ya know what would have helped her ?  

Intelligence.  Intelligence, or just paying attention to WTF was being displayed on her phone with regard to the vehicle, driver, and license plate number of the vehicle she was supposed to get in.  Men are pigs. She made a terrible mistake.

I don't even think it's intelligence so much as common sense.  Is she had exercised just a little bit of it, she would still be here.  Of course, she would still be here if the person driving the car she got into wasn't a murderer.

• Like 1

Does Uber have the dashboard display that you often see with Lyft?  Maybe require your drivers to have a LED dashboard display that indicates a simple four digit code or something (generated when a pickup request is made and answered by a driver) and have the user enter it on their app before they can complete the transaction (forcing the user to correctly identify the car).

• 2 weeks later...

Three women in California who say they were raped by men posing as Uber drivers have filed a lawsuit against the company claiming they were not warned about fake rideshare drivers targeting women leaving bars and nightclubs in the Los Angeles area.

The suit was filed Friday in Los Angeles County Superior Court and accuses Uber Technologies Inc. of negligence.

According to the suit, Uber was told by authorities in Los Angeles that fake drivers were luring inebriated women into their cars and then sexually assaulting them. Uber was made aware of the alleged assaults as early as 2016, the suit alleges.

"The unwitting public, and in particular women looking for a safe ride home, have been lulled into believing that the Uber App summons a safe means of transportation," the lawsuit said. "Instead, once the Uber app has been engaged, single female passengers leaving crowded nightclub/bar/restaurant locations become vulnerable to the fake Uber scheme."

The women hailed a driver through the Uber app and instead got into the wrong vehicle of a man purporting to be a driver.

Two of the women — identified as Jane Doe 1, a resident of Culver City, and Jane Doe 3, a resident of Van Nuys — were allegedly raped by the same man posing as an Uber driver, according to the lawsuit. Jane Doe 1's assault happened in June 2017 and Jane Doe 3's in February 2018. Both women had left the same West Hollywood club when they were lured into a car they believed was their Uber ride, the suit states.

Jane Doe 2, of Alhambra, was abducted and raped by a man in December 2017 after leaving a club in Los Angeles, according to the suit.

Uber said in a statement Tuesday that it has been working with law enforcement for several years on how passengers can protect themselves against fake drivers.

"In 2017, we launched a national campaign to remind riders to make sure they get in the right car by checking the information, like the license plate and car make and model, shown in the app," an Uber spokesperson said. "These important reminders have been part of our safety tips, and our law enforcement team regularly discusses this issue with agencies across the country.”

The lawsuit claims that six weeks before Jane Doe 1 was attacked, Uber was made aware of an alleged assault involving another woman. NBC News has not been able to verify the specifics of this lawsuit.

"Using the advanced GPS technology available on the Uber App, the Uber Defendants could have easily warned Uber passengers in the known danger zones directly through the Uber App in an Amber Alert style warning and could have targeted warnings by location," the suit states.

All three women say they suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder and have experienced "symptoms consistent with rape trauma syndrome."

The lawsuit comes a week after South Carolina college student Samantha Josephson was killed after getting into a car she believed was her Uber ride. Nathaniel D. Rowland, 25, was arrested and charged with kidnapping and murder in her death. He has not entered a plea.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/women-sue-uber-not-warning-sexual-assaults-fake-drivers-n992506

25 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

Three women in California who say they were raped by men posing as Uber drivers have filed a lawsuit against the company claiming they were not warned about fake rideshare drivers targeting women leaving bars and nightclubs in the Los Angeles area.

The suit was filed Friday in Los Angeles County Superior Court and accuses Uber Technologies Inc. of negligence.

According to the suit, Uber was told by authorities in Los Angeles that fake drivers were luring inebriated women into their cars and then sexually assaulting them. Uber was made aware of the alleged assaults as early as 2016, the suit alleges.

"The unwitting public, and in particular women looking for a safe ride home, have been lulled into believing that the Uber App summons a safe means of transportation," the lawsuit said. "Instead, once the Uber app has been engaged, single female passengers leaving crowded nightclub/bar/restaurant locations become vulnerable to the fake Uber scheme."

The women hailed a driver through the Uber app and instead got into the wrong vehicle of a man purporting to be a driver.

Two of the women — identified as Jane Doe 1, a resident of Culver City, and Jane Doe 3, a resident of Van Nuys — were allegedly raped by the same man posing as an Uber driver, according to the lawsuit. Jane Doe 1's assault happened in June 2017 and Jane Doe 3's in February 2018. Both women had left the same West Hollywood club when they were lured into a car they believed was their Uber ride, the suit states.

Jane Doe 2, of Alhambra, was abducted and raped by a man in December 2017 after leaving a club in Los Angeles, according to the suit.

Uber said in a statement Tuesday that it has been working with law enforcement for several years on how passengers can protect themselves against fake drivers.

"In 2017, we launched a national campaign to remind riders to make sure they get in the right car by checking the information, like the license plate and car make and model, shown in the app," an Uber spokesperson said. "These important reminders have been part of our safety tips, and our law enforcement team regularly discusses this issue with agencies across the country.”

The lawsuit claims that six weeks before Jane Doe 1 was attacked, Uber was made aware of an alleged assault involving another woman. NBC News has not been able to verify the specifics of this lawsuit.

"Using the advanced GPS technology available on the Uber App, the Uber Defendants could have easily warned Uber passengers in the known danger zones directly through the Uber App in an Amber Alert style warning and could have targeted warnings by location," the suit states.

All three women say they suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder and have experienced "symptoms consistent with rape trauma syndrome."

The lawsuit comes a week after South Carolina college student Samantha Josephson was killed after getting into a car she believed was her Uber ride. Nathaniel D. Rowland, 25, was arrested and charged with kidnapping and murder in her death. He has not entered a plea.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/women-sue-uber-not-warning-sexual-assaults-fake-drivers-n992506

How is Uber responsible for these women getting into the wrong cars?