Roseanne

TahoeHorn

The part where Richards was wearing a wig and they encounter the delivery guy with the same hair was hysterical. I didn't get "depressing" from that episode. I thought they were pretty straightforward addressing the issue. That and they were probably both efforts to help him rehabilitate his image. But let's face it, he was never an A-list comedian or actor before Seinfeld and he wasn't afterward either. 
The black community didn't seem to get all that worked up about it. It's not like he had any kind of history, unlike Roseanne (which I didn't know about until today). The two are light years apart on many levels. 

CCC isn’t CYE.

2 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

CCC isn’t CYE.

Huh? What does that mean? Where did I suggest otherwise?

The wig thing was from CCC. The Seinfeld reunion was on Curb. They both happened. Doesn't mean they're the same. Neither of them are Roseanne. That's not relevant either. I don't know what you're talking about. 

50 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Huh? What does that mean? Where did I suggest otherwise?

The wig thing was from CCC. The Seinfeld reunion was on Curb. They both happened. Doesn't mean they're the same. Neither of them are Roseanne. That's not relevant either. I don't know what you're talking about. 

Your response reminded me of this:

6 hours ago, Mole said:

While very minor, I think in hindsight we'll look back at the pulling of her old show — to the extent that we'll look back on this — as a negative reflection of our politics. It's a strange response.

That's a disturbing future you're envisioning.

7 hours ago, Mole said:

While very minor, I think in hindsight we'll look back at the pulling of her old show — to the extent that we'll look back on this — as a negative reflection of our politics. It's a strange response.

nah, trash heap of history and all that.

I think I agree with Mole with extra emphasis on minor.  When historians are telling the tale it'll be: "Duke lacrosse and other times politics was importunate."  And Rosanne isn't in the top 100.

Edited by JBJ

4 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

Blaming Ambien is a poor strategy. Simply explain that your account was hacked and you keep your job, a’ la Joy Reid. 

Stealing lame jokes from Roseanne's Twitter feed is a poor strategy as well. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Stealing lame jokes from Roseanne's Twitter feed is a poor strategy as well. 

Although I gave it the old college try, I found Twitter extremely boring and not for me, so I have no account at the moment. Also, it wasn’t meant as a joke, it was an effective strategy. 

1 minute ago, Mojo Hand said:

Perhaps, but there isn't much in common between that situation and Roseanne's. 

Well, if you want to parse their situations to that degree, I guess you’re correct. One tweeted racist slurs and the other homophobic slurs. 

Just now, Chrispy said:

Well, if you want to parse their situations to that degree, I guess you’re correct. One tweeted racist slurs and the other homophobic slurs. 

One did it a decade ago and repudiated those beliefs in the present, whereas the other made the statements in the present.  Lulz at calling that "parsing."    The situations would be similar if Roseanne had lost her show for her 2013 tweet comparing Susan Rice to an ape, but that didn't happen.   She didn't even have to blame a hacker for that and got to keep her show, which means she skated even more than Joy Reid. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mole said:

Dropping the show makes sense, but the pulling of reruns seems strange to me. The Cosby situation seems different since all of those episodes just seem creepy now. Roseanne's trade is offense.

Michael Richards hadn't done much for years before the incident. I wouldn't say it killed his career. He's worked about as much since the tirade as he did post Seinfeld. He did mostly stop standup after it.

In terms of racism, Kramer's was much more extreme, but it did bring us this classic bit of uncomfortable television.

Richards was a comedic actor not a stand-up comic so he didn't know how to handle an unruly crowd/heckler and made a huge mistake by being racist on stage.  I don't know if any of us know if he really is or isn't a racist.  I definitely don't know anything about his personal life.   

And we also don't know if that 2006 incident has caused him to receive less jobs or not.  I would assume it has based on that we don't see him.  Perhaps he had planned to retire from entertaining at 57.  I don't count Curb and Comedians/cars/coffee as getting work as both Larry David and Seinfeld can pretty much do what they want with their respective networks.

It's pretty simple that whether you're famous or not-famous with a camera in your face, don't be racist or say racist things.  And if you're uncertain if your statement/post is potentially racist, then it's a good guess to assume it is racist.   And don't try to explain your statement with a long-winded answer.  It won't work.  

5 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

One did it a decade ago and repudiated those beliefs in the present, whereas the other made the statements in the present.  Lulz at calling that "parsing."    The situations would be similar if Roseanne had lost her show for her 2013 tweet comparing Susan Rice to an ape, but that didn't happen.   She didn't even have to blame a hacker for that and got to keep her show, which means she skated even more than Joy Reid. 

She repudiated tweets that she said she didn’t write, so good on her I suppose. She also had the audacity to preach about racism, along with the antisemitic Al Sharpton, in a rather amusing town hall recently. Seems her livelihood has yet to be affected, if at all. I understand the inclination to root for your team, but understand what you’re defending. 

I was listening to the Bennington Show yesterday when this broke and he just stated he thought she had some form of mental illness, recalling a time during one of his interviews with her that, prompted by nothing, she blurted "Where am I?" and he had to remind her she was doing an interview in the studio with him.

Of course, the president probably says this first thing every morning so....

I basically think funny = smart when it comes to comedians, and she was funny 25 years ago.  Then I saw her on Norm MacDonald a few months ago and she clearly didn’t get some of the jokes, most notably Norm’s “I mean, he’s a real jerk” bit.  I think she’s just losing her mental faculties.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

She repudiated tweets that she said she didn’t write, so good on her I suppose. She also had the audacity to preach about racism, along with the antisemitic Al Sharpton, in a rather amusing town hall recently. Seems her livelihood has yet to be affected, if at all. I understand the inclination to root for your team, but understand what you’re defending. 

I'm not defending anything.  That's just your own team-first projection.  In fact, in the actual thread on Joy Reid, I said that she should be fired for her lies, and actually had a (friendly) argument with Hugo about it. 

That said, there is no reasonable comparison to be made between the two situations.  Roseanne wasn't merely confronted with old offensive statements that she no longer agrees with; she's spouting racist venom in 2018.  Different situation, different result, even if Joy Reid should have been fired for her own issues. 

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Who knew overt racism was a side effect of Ambien?

-----------------------------ADVERSE REACTIONS-------------------------------- Most commonly observed adverse reactions were: Short-term (< 10 nights): Drowsiness, dizziness, overt racism, batshit craziness and verbal diarrhea Long-term (28 - 35 nights): Dizziness and drugged feelings (6.1) To report SUSPECTED ADVERSE REACTIONS, contact NAACP at 1-800-633-1610 or ABC at 1-800-ABC-SUCKS 

Edited by Nolacycling
  • Like 1

1. Ambien should put that warning on their bottles.  You might turn into a flaming racist asshole if you take this.
  2. Amazing that Roseanne has been on Ambien 24/7 for the past 2 decades straight.  She must have a heroic constitution and drug resistance.

13 hours ago, Newy25 said:

WTF does that have to do with anything here? 

I'll bite.  Lee Atwater formulated the Republican Southern Strategy which has been pandering to racist whites for the past half century since the parties switched during the Civil Rights movement in the 60s.  Trump is the logical conclusion of that racist political strategy, Frankenstein's monster coming home to roost or whatever.  This is the origination and constituency of the Tea Party/rebranded Freedom Caucus/Trump's unwavering base. Trump's overt racism has now emboldened such rank bigots as Roseanne to feel they can do and say whatever they want.  Connect the dots.  That's WTF.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

I'm not defending anything.  That's just your own team-first projection.  In fact, in the actual thread on Joy Reid, I said that she should be fired for her lies, and actually had a (friendly) argument with Hugo about it. 

That said, there is no reasonable comparison to be made between the two situations.  Roseanne wasn't merely confronted with old offensive statements that she no longer agrees with; she's spouting racist venom in 2018.  Different situation, different result, even if Joy Reid should have been fired for her own issues. 

Your contention that, at any point in her fatuous apology tour, Reid took responsibility for her beliefs is bizarre. Her claim is that she didn’t write them, so this feigned evolution of her beliefs on homosexuality is a silly notion. She should have lost her job, but now she’s currently hosting her own show and excoriating Roseanne in town halls. I’m sorry, but I find this particularly irony distasteful and a testament to the importance of where you are located on the political spectrum.

59 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I basically think funny = smart when it comes to comedians, and she was funny 25 years ago.  Then I saw her on Norm MacDonald a few months ago and she clearly didn’t get some of the jokes, most notably Norm’s “I mean, he’s a real jerk” bit.  I think she’s just losing her mental faculties.  

Maybe Roseanne thought the subject of Norm’s joke wasn’t a jerk, but was just a nice, normal person who happened to be on Ambien at the time he committed all those atrocities.

Edited by BrickHorn

Why must everything that happens, be immediately compared to something else that happened?

I think it's quite simple to address the events of these past 24 hours as exactly what they are: The incoherent ramblings of a tacky, tasteless slob who has been quite consistent in her wanton ignorance and insanity over the past 25 years.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TornACL said:

Why must everything that happens, be immediately compared to something else that happened?

I think it's quite simple to address the events of these past 24 hours as exactly what they are: The incoherent ramblings of a tacky, tasteless slob who has been quite consistent in her wanton ignorance and insanity over the past 25 years.

Sorry, are you talking about Roseanne, or the president?

Wait, you said "her" -- my bad.

• Haha 2

I guess the moral of this story is that just because the president is a racist nutjob, it doesn't mean everyone else can be one too. It is still very much a thing that gets you fired. 

The racist nutjobs on this site seem to be taking the news hard.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Those on the right refuse to ever apologize or call out one of their own even in the face of rank bigotry.  It's always whataboutism.  Everything including Roseanne puking all over herself immediately splits the country along party lines.  Just like everything else.