Voter Suppression

Pancho

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

South Carolina and SCOTUS:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/10/05/supreme-court-restores-south-carolina-witness-rule-mailed-ballots/3625273001/

Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch saying that that they would have tossed the received ballots even though the voters submitted them in good faith.  smh

3 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

This is not going to be over for decades. Democratic party needs to win and begin the long game back to free and fair elections.

Conservative views like this one are why I'm uncertain whether I want to to vote in the expanded portion of the early voting period. Who's to say that a judge won't toss out those vote as illegal, and then everyone is in limbo on whether that ruling will be overturned or not. 

39 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Conservative views like this one are why I'm uncertain whether I want to to vote in the expanded portion of the early voting period. Who's to say that a judge won't toss out those vote as illegal, and then everyone is in limbo on whether that ruling will be overturned or not. 

We are going to wait for the regular early voting period, especially after Abbott made noise about retracting it.

1 hour ago, StassneyHorn said:

Been posted elsewhere, but for visibility, Supreme Court of Texas allows early voting to continue to start on Oct. 13th

they are still going to throw all the ballots in the trash later even though this is already decided and follows the law. Any ballot not cast while standing on your head rubbing your butthole with your tongue isn't going to count. Texas isn't a democracy, the GOP has stolen everything we hold dear and has destroyed America. The supreme court is packed with fucking idiots and they are going to delete everything from the lawbooks.

45 minutes ago, immamac said:

they are still going to throw all the ballots in the trash later even though this is already decided and follows the law. Any ballot not cast while standing on your head rubbing your butthole with your tongue isn't going to count. Texas isn't a democracy, the GOP has stolen everything we hold dear and has destroyed America. The supreme court is packed with fucking idiots and they are going to delete everything from the lawbooks.

I know you’re ribbing other posters with the doomsday talk, just go for a walk with no phone for a little while.

or how about this, don't turn the website I own into a bunch of QAnon equivalent bullshit facebook conspiracy theories when I ask fucking nicely and present ways to frame it that aren't fear-mongering but general concern and discourse? I'm real over it because YOUR ass isn't on the line, MINE is and you want to pretend like spreading a bunch of fucking insanity is okay? Well here's the thing, it's not on this site and it never has been. I had to stop going to the DT covid thread because it was just a mess in general, but if this is the type of stuff people are pissed about I'll nuke the mother fucker from orbit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, immamac said:

or how about this, don't turn the website I own into a bunch of QAnon equivalent bullshit facebook conspiracy theories when I ask fucking nicely and present ways to frame it that aren't fear-mongering but general concern and discourse? I'm real over it because YOUR ass isn't on the line, MINE is and you want to pretend like spreading a bunch of fucking insanity is okay? Well here's the thing, it's not on this site and it never has been. I had to stop going to the DT covid thread because it was just a mess in general, but if this is the type of stuff people are pissed about I'll nuke the mother fucker from orbit.

Bring your phone with you and find a gloryhole

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Republicans don't get that this is just pissing off a lot of people, and making them more determined, with the added bonus that it's turning  a lot of younger people off to the GOP.

The same people who showed up in the Wisconsin  primary and voted that democratic judge in are going to be pissed again.

Edited by Voldemort86
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, 4Pete said:

This just seemed like a no-brainer for Ohio and Texas to get called out on.  Even some Abbott-loving olds were irritated at this one.  At least be clever in your voter suppression.

Sixth Circuit just reinstated Ohio’s one drop box per county requirement. Fifth Circuit might do the same here. 

51 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Sixth Circuit just reinstated Ohio’s one drop box per county requirement. Fifth Circuit might do the same here. 

ohio made the decision for 1 drop box per county back in august, while texas didn't do so until this month.  might be enough of a difference there to matter.  i haven't read the trial court's order so it might have made different factual conclusions from the texas trial court, which even the 5th circuit would be stuck with. 

Edited by elfenix

Posted this in another thread, but if you want to follow along early voting turnout across the country by state, this is a good link. I’m beginning to think the worry about absentee votes taking days/weeks for winners to be decided is going to be much lower than the slow trickle of 2018.

https://electproject.github.io/Early-Vote-2020G/index.html

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I’ve not seen or heard of many pissed off people. It’s the first day of three weeks of early voting in a hotly contested election with record turnout. Technical glitches were fairly few.

State Farm arena was very light today 

Yeah a buddy of mine voted there. 300 machines. They did have an early technical issue that lasted about an hour.

They are doing a pretty good job of reporting wait times. I’ll give it a few days and see if there is a lull.

Anyone who wanted could get an absentee ballot.

When it's time to elect state officials, people need to recall how they're treated in terms of lack of voting options. And some of the county or cities should be called out if they're not providing enough voting options. I'm expecting Harris County to have long lines this week and the leadership is Democrat. 

• Hook 'Em 1