Voter Suppression

Pancho

Just now, Mack Tripper said:

They must have received some truly awful post-debate internal numbers to pull a fucking stunt like this. 

I think it was planned longer than that.  He references the extended early voting period in the "whereas" section, as though to say "i've given you more time, so I can give you fewer locations so it kinda balances out."  So I think it was in the works at the time of the extension order.

And while we laughed at R infighting, where Hotze et al sued Abbott for the extension, we might see we got 59-D chess'd.  They extension of time will get struck down, but the order reducing locations stays.  Win win.  

3 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

I think it was planned longer than that.  He references the extended early voting period in the "whereas" section, as though to say "i've given you more time, so I can give you fewer locations so it kinda balances out."  So I think it was in the works at the time of the extension order.

And while we laughed at R infighting, where Hotze et al sued Abbott for the extension, we might see we got 59-D chess'd.  They extension of time will get struck down, but the order reducing locations stays.  Win win.  

Executive orders by governors almost always spell out prior steps that were taken on a particular issue in previous orders through whereas clauses. I don't think one has anything to do with the other. Extending early in person voting due to Covid makes complete sense. Reducing drop off locations for absentee ballots does nothing but create huge lines and cause an unnecessary public health risk (and suppress votes after the president shit the bed at the debate just a few days ago).  

• Hook 'Em 1

Okay, my quite angry mother just shot off an angry missive to Abbott that included this language:

Closing the drop off locations for mail-in ballots at this time, just weeks before the election, is a slap in the face of us seniors who are not comfortable driving downtown, and is a blatantly transparent boot-licking to the maniac in Chief. Guess what, Governor, we SEE you. We SEE what you’re doing. And we are thoroughly repulsed. Knew you were a craven coward. This proves it. We remember! We VOTE! And, if we need to, we’ll take an Uber to see that our votes get counted. Every single one, all down ticket, will be for the Democratic candidate, even if said candidate is an ambidextrous two-headed monkey. Such would be an improvement over what we have now.

So, if the GOP wants to alienate old people, they're going about it very, very effectively.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 3

52 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Okay, my quite angry mother just shot off an angry missive to Abbott that included this language:

So, if the GOP wants to alienate old people, they're going about it very, very effectively.

I see where you got the gift for the use of such florid language with vivid images.

10 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

It’s very hard for me to maintain my composure and not fire off Fuck Yous to each and every poster delaying your early vote and literally doing exactly what Republicans wanted to happen.

I'm just waiting til the original early voting date so there is no question of shenanigans. The 19th is fine.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

It gives campaigns more time to figure out where to allocate resources in voter follow up and advertising.

Relax buddy

Texas is not a vital state to the electoral college. Biden won’t win Texas anyway. I think most people are hoping to see the margin narrow from 9 to 4 or less. 

If we were a critical state like Pennsylvania. I’d be fucking pissed tho.

10 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

Relax buddy

Texas is not a vital state to the electoral college. Biden won’t win Texas anyway. I think most people are hoping to see the margin narrow from 9 to 4 or less. 

If we were a critical state like Pennsylvania. I’d be fucking pissed tho.

I care more about txlege races, and state legislatures where trifectas can be gained or broken. Would love Biden to win the state, but the dude is gonna have back to back 300 million dollar months fundraising and I’d rather see that portion sent to seats that will shape redistricting efforts.

4 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

It’s actually the opposite.  Lines will be longer. Trump will know where to send all of his thugs / goons / poll watchers to just stand there and clog things up to waste people’s time. 

vote as early as you can folks. I wouldn’t be surprised if Texas is going to start resorting to Georgia like tactics soon.

With the caveat that I’m in a very red part of GA, the mail option was easy and smooth for me. I requested a ballot online through a simple online form. It took a while from when it was “sent” to when it actually arrived (like a week and a half), but I suspect the delay was it actually getting sent out. I requested mine before the first day that ballots could get sent out. I could track the process online or via email or text/phone.

I mailed my ballot off on Tuesday and this morning I received a text that my ballot had been received and counted. Georgia has pulled some crazy stunts with purging voters and closing locations, but vote by mail is smooth and easy. It wasn’t this good even for the primary a few months ago.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Mole said:

With the caveat that I’m in a very red part of GA, the mail option was easy and smooth for me. I requested a ballot online through a simple online form. It took a while from when it was “sent” to when it actually arrived (like a week and a half), but I suspect the delay was it actually getting sent out. I requested mine before the first day that ballots could get sent out. I could track the process online or via email or text/phone.

I mailed my ballot off on Tuesday and this morning I received a text that my ballot had been received and counted. Georgia has pulled some crazy stunts with purging voters and closing locations, but vote by mail is smooth and easy. It wasn’t this good even for the primary a few months ago.

I wasn’t aware that Georgia allowed mail in voting.

8 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

I care more about txlege races, and state legislatures where trifectas can be gained or broken. Would love Biden to win the state, but the dude is gonna have back to back 300 million dollar months fundraising and I’d rather see that portion sent to seats that will shape redistricting efforts.

I think the state house chances are looking good. Why else would the Texas GOP be trying all of these last minute shenanigans? Karl Roves PAC just recently dumped a ton of money into Texas. I don't think we’ve seen him do that before. These fuckers are worried.

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Trump's poll watchers are going to be a mess. I think its fair to allow major parties to place poll watchers even though I'm sure some create problems. However these unofficial Trump poll watchers are going to be another level.  I guarantee they will be harassing voters especially non-white voters. 

Anyone know the process for signing up to be a Trump poll watcher volunteer?  I want to sign up under as many names as possible so they think they have slots filled then of course not show up.

Edited by Horn Dog
  • Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, Horn Dog said:

Anyone know the process for signing up to be a Trump poll watcher volunteer?  I want to sign up under as many names as possible so they think they have slots filled then of course not show up.

That would be awesome. If you find it, link it.  I’ll spend time at work signing up over and over.

1 hour ago, StassneyHorn said:

It’s very hard for me to maintain my composure and not fire off Fuck Yous to each and every poster delaying your early vote and literally doing exactly what Republicans wanted to happen.

You think we should risk it? You can tell me to fuck off. But I’m being careful. 

13 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

You should sign up, go as one, and then pick fights with the other pieces of shit when they break the law. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Am I reading this proclamation correctly?  Abbott isn't saying that state law prohibits multiple drop boxes and he's not saying there is a risk of election security.  He is only citing his authority under the COVID-19 disaster declaration to suspend the election code in order to ensure safety during the disaster.  The stated rationale is that he's banning the drop boxes to protect public health?  What a load of shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

Hoping some proud boys pull some shit at my voting station on Cameron rd. Lol what am I saying. Those pussies wouldn't come within 30 miles of my hood.

How many places is violence actually going to break out AT THE POLLS this year?  It’s going to be more than zero. Fucking nuts. 

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

19th I believe. 

Someone should tell Texas Democrats this. They called our home tonight and were asking what our vote strategy was. I said 'in person early vote' and she was begging us to go on the 13th. I said, 'no' and told her why (the reasoning due to the court case) and she didn't seem to understand and was worried that it was going to be too busy and overwhelm the people counting the vote. I vote in every election and have a good idea of what good times are to vote at our location. I don't trust the GOP and Abbott to get this right and don't think the Democratic Party of Texas should either.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

How many places is violence actually going to break out AT THE POLLS this year?  It’s going to be more than zero. Fucking nuts. 

What makes you think that? What, you took a look at the language these bootlicking authoritarians use in soliciting volunteers for the day Americans exercise their most fundamental right?

fuckrepublicans.jpg.b27dd98b0df92bda430d3db33bd28c5b.jpg

• Like 1