Voter Suppression

Pancho

3 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

I wasn’t aware that Georgia allowed mail in voting.

I think Trump would call it absentee since it’s a red state. There’s a simple online form (provided you have a valid ID and haven’t been purged from the rolls) with a few clicks. You don’t even have to pretend to have a disability or reason. The Trump campaign sent out paper forms like once a week. As long as your name doesn’t trigger their purge script, it’s a great system. The current SOS (Kemp’s replacement) was the least bad GOP option.

3 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

That would be awesome. If you find it, link it.  I’ll spend time at work signing up over and over.

Just write a script and let it run overnight.  Of course, I think the real concern is the unofficial poll watchers trying to cause chaos in D precincts.

4 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Hoping some proud boys pull some shit at my voting station on Cameron rd. Lol what am I saying. Those pussies wouldn't come within 30 miles of my hood.

What exactly are you going to do if they do pull some shit?

Edited by Fudge Nuggets

3 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Where’s the DT thread about this? Or does this not qualify as a current event

by the time November gets here every discussion on surly will have to be in the CR. 

things that have already crossed over include racism, caring for the disenfranchised, not separating families and finally not wanting local or state governments to break your door down and kill you. 

voter suppression is clearly political too. thanks for asking first ole boy

MemorableLongFly-size_restricted.gif

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I wonder how creative a county could get with "1 location" per county. Could the Toyota Center be 1 location with 30 entrances and 30 lines? Of course, the real purpose is to create more obstacles to discourage voting.

Trump's poll watchers are going to be a mess. I think its fair to allow major parties to place poll watchers even though I'm sure some create problems. However these unofficial Trump poll watchers are going to be another level.  I guarantee they will be harassing voters especially non-white voters. 

between all the Karen's, Kevin's and Proudboys--wait, where are Christian organizations?  Are they denouncing any of this? They're good with voter suppression in Texas?  

4 minutes ago, staboner said:

by the time November gets here every discussion on surly will have to be in the CR. 

things that have already crossed over include racism, caring for the disenfranchised, not separating families and finally not wanting local or state governments to break your door down and kill you. 

voter suppression is clearly political too. thanks for asking first ole boy

MemorableLongFly-size_restricted.gif

It is amazing, isn’t it? Voter suppression is a partisan issue, because one party (and ONLY one party) has taken the position that votes should be suppressed and is working to do so. Same shit with the issues you raised. None of those things should be partisan but they are, because Republicans now stand for nothing beyond being fascist assholes. Saying “I’m against fascist assholes” is about the most American thing someone can say, and it’s now literally a direct criticism of Republican policy. It’s insane that we’ve gotten to this point.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Damnit, twitter is so fucking shit.  I asked our esteemed governor why he was taking away the drop boxes and called him a coward.  Five seconds later, 12 hour timeout.  Fucking snowflakes. 

You must have forgotten to say [no politics]

I remember when Abbott took over from Perry, there were lots of people going around saying stuff like, "yeah, Abbott's another Republican, but he's smart and pragmatic, should be way better for the state than Perry". What a lie that turned out to be. At least Perry had some balls and an iota of leadership ability. Abbott is nothing but a gutless coward, turns out he doesn't have any principles at all except opportunism. The ultimate "lead from behind" guy.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

So, I heard on NPR that international election integrity organizations are sending election inspectors to the US.
As they should. When I fruitlessly contact my elected representatives, I am always sure to mention that any previous admin would be sending observers to watch this if it were happening somewhere else.

I remember when Abbott took over from Perry, there were lots of people going around saying stuff like, "yeah, Abbott's another Republican, but he's smart and pragmatic, should be way better for the state than Perry". What a lie that turned out to be. At least Perry had some balls and an iota of leadership ability. Abbott is nothing but a gutless coward, turns out he doesn't have any principles at all except opportunism. The ultimate "lead from behind" guy.
I remember just thinking I'm sure he's garbage to some extent, but at least he's a Texas ex and not aggy. Implies a certain base level of competence and integrity.

Holy fuck do I owe aggy an apology for that.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Good. Hopefully the district court overturns. Regarsless, it has to go through the Fifth Circuit on appeal though. Tough to see them giving an anti-GOP ruling, even if it flies in the face of their recent decision on straight ticket.

Dave Carney is Greg Abbott’s Main dude. Just keeping my browser open to Scott Braddock, Patrick Svitek, and Jeremy Wallace’s twitter for updates. AARP just came out with a rebuke of the reduction in drop off spots.

Also, Scott and Jeremy do an amazing podcast together that is awesome, called Texas Take.

On 10/1/2020 at 7:10 PM, Voldemort86 said:

I wasn’t aware that Georgia allowed mail in voting.

It's no excuse either, I've been primarily voting by mail since 2016. That said, my county Gwinnett (second most populous in the state) still hasn't sent me my ballot even though they were set to go out on 9/18. They are struggling this year and apparently there was a lawsuit in March to make the envelopes and text larger so it's causing a huge delay. Thankfully our piece of shit governor thankfully hasn't removed 90% of the drop-boxes like Abbot.

On October 2, 2020 at 9:00 AM, TwiceHorn said:

So, I heard on NPR that international election integrity organizations are sending election inspectors to the US.

Good. We need to be treated like the 3rd world country we've become. 

I wish British intelligence would come out and tell us everything they know about Trump and Russia. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 10/2/2020 at 7:56 AM, tokamak said:

He’s a fucking self serving piece of shit

abbott 2024 is real and has a staff, fuck that mother fucker 

All of our NATO allies should come to our rescue. They all know what the fuck is going on. 

There’s actually something to this.

And I’m not kidding. A NATO power is under attack by hostile foreign powers. The tough wrinkle: the political party in charge of that NATO power is actively collaborating with that foreign power.

If we can get a new POTUS, one of the first things done needs to be a full intel download with our allies. And then....gallows.
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

Man I fucking hate Wisconsin / North Carolina Republicans.

So I was led to believe that NC Dems were in power now so this wouldn’t be an issue. Was that wrong?

edit: I guess Federal might be the key word here, but would still like an explanation 

Edited by Biff Tannen

South Carolina and SCOTUS:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/10/05/supreme-court-restores-south-carolina-witness-rule-mailed-ballots/3625273001/

The Supreme Court weighed in again Monday night on procedures for conducting mail-in voting this fall, reinstating South Carolina's requirement that absentee ballots include witness signatures.

the high court temporarily reinstated the witness signature rule while the case progresses in court but said any ballots received in the next two days without the signature must be counted. Conservative Associate Justices Clarence Thomas, Samuel Alito and Neil Gorsuch said they would not have added that concession.

Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch saying that that they would have tossed the received ballots even though the voters submitted them in good faith.  smh

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

South Carolina and SCOTUS:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/10/05/supreme-court-restores-south-carolina-witness-rule-mailed-ballots/3625273001/

Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch saying that that they would have tossed the received ballots even though the voters submitted them in good faith.  smh

This is not going to be over for decades. Democratic party needs to win and begin the long game back to free and fair elections.