the alabama abortion attack

hayden_horn

9 hours ago, workswithseed said:

Catholics believe the Pope has final say on bible, what does it matter to me what the Southern Baptist believe. 

I see you're having trouble connecting the dots.

1. Baptists, and in particular Southern Baptists, are the most prominent "Evangelical" Christian denomination

2. Evangelicals currently believe life begins at conception and are far and away the single biggest driver in the modern anti-abortion movement

3.  Evangelicals, and in particular Southern Baptists, used to assert that life began at birth and were essentially pro-choice

I want to know what changed their viewpoint?  Why did abortion suddenly become a tragedy 40-45 years ago?

So you believe you're not a person until take a breath? So if a child is born but isnt able to breath, then was it ever human?

I have not taken a stand on when life begins.  I think it is irrelevant to the discussion.  (I'm pretty sure most mothers are alive, though.  Hmmm.)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Here’s one thing I’ve always pondered.

If a woman has sex with 100 random men in a year, she’s only capable of producing ONE baby. If a man has sex with 100 random women in a year - and if hits the target every time - he’s capable of producing ONE HUNDRED babies.

So why is it exactly that we only ever discuss regulating the women?

Because a lock that opens for any key is a shitty lock.  A key that opens any lock is a master key.  Duh.

On 5/19/2019 at 5:35 PM, slorch said:

Sorry it makes you uncomfortable.  Seriously.

Since pro-choices (and the Constitution) don't consider it murder, there is no discomfort on at all.

The discomfort when anyone is attacking a liberty interest and in this case, particularly attacking the rights of the woman who overwhelmingly bears the cost of the pregnancy.

It's the wall-eyed pro-life freaks who make everyone uncomfortable.

11 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Here’s one thing I’ve always pondered.

If a woman has sex with 100 random men in a year, she’s only capable of producing ONE baby. If a man has sex with 100 random women in a year - and if hits the target every time - he’s capable of producing ONE HUNDRED babies.

So why is it exactly that we only ever discuss regulating the women?

Because he's a stud and she's a slut.  Duh.

Yeah, yeah.  GOP lobbying overlap between anti-abortion groups and protectionist policies for incumbent telecoms, but I suspect AT&T will rethink where some of their lobbying money is going.

https://gizmodo.com/at-t-gave-200-000-to-politicians-leading-abortion-ban-1834928667

AT&T has donated nearly $200,000 to politicians who’ve helped pass state-level laws either banning abortion or restricting women’s access to the medical procedure, according to a recently compiled list of contributions.

The list, amassed by Popular Information—a progressive newsletter published by former ThinkProgress editor-in-chief, Judd Legum—included six corporations that were described as having “showed up frequently in the recent campaign finance reports” of politicians pursuing abortion bans.

AT&T, which donated $196,600 to politicians leading the charge against abortion, outspent by far any of the other companies named, including Walmart ($57,700), Pfizer ($53,650), Eli Lilly ($66,250), Coca-Cola ($40,800), and Aetna ($26,600). 

The list includes AT&T’s donations in six states: Alabama, whose extreme abortion ban contains no exception for victims of rape and incest in an explicit attempt to challenge Roe v. Wade in the Supreme Court; Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, Ohio, and Missouri, which all banned abortion after six weeks (so-called “fetal heartbeat” bills); and Missouri, which most recently passed a ban on abortion after nine weeks.

Legum, who said the information proved difficult to source, published a breakdown of AT&T’s spending here. (The company also publishes its own “political engagement reports” disclosing spending; however, the latest only covers January to June 2018.) “States make it difficult to uncover corporate contributions to politicians,” he said. “Each state has its own system and few of them are user-friendly.”

“We looked at corporate contributions to the political leaders most responsible for the abortion legislation in each state, including the Governor and the leadership of the legislature,” he wrote, highlighting as well the literature on AT&T’s website that claims the company wants to “make sure women at AT&T feel supported in everything they do.”

AT&T did not immediately respond to a request for comment. 

The digital advocacy group Free Press took a shot at the company on Twitter as Legum’s newsletter circulated online, saying AT&T had “fought against #NetNeutrality and our #DigitalCivilRights. Now they’re quietly fighting to take away #AbortionRights too.”

6 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Yeah but Mitch McConnell, the RNC and Big Republican Money has ensured that those 28% have a bigger voice than the 67% - they own the presidency, the Senate, SCOTUS and enough state legislatures, governorships and state supreme courts to make sure the opinion of the 28% becomes rule of law.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Js1 said:

When men like slorch and workswithseed get really irrationally passionate about women's pregnancy, it's creepy.  Mind your own fucking business, weirdos.

Image result for it's creepy gif kelly bensimon

Ignore people getting murdered...

makes perfect sense.  Sorry to intrude on the massacre...850k strong, bro.  Every year.

Must be such a disappointment with fewer and fewer women celebrating their( alleged) liberty each year now...

6 minutes ago, slorch said:

makes perfect sense.  Sorry to intrude on the massacre...850k strong, bro.  Every year.

Must be such a disappointment with fewer and fewer women celebrating their( alleged) liberty each year now...

eh, country’s full anyway. 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, slorch said:

If you cared that much about abortion, you would care about the reasons that women undergo them and you’d support relevant social policy changes that would mitigate those reasons.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hpslugga said:

If you cared that much about abortion, you would care about the reasons that women undergo them and you’d support relevant social policy changes that would mitigate those reasons.

I do.

Posted earlier in the thread about raising kids who won't get abortions.

It's amazing how it's an "ole slorch disagrees with us on this particular point, so he opposes everything."

Not even close, my friend.  But in today's society, disagreement equals "he hates me."

Not true at all.  i just disagree on some of the proposed solutions.

4 minutes ago, slorch said:

I do.

It's amazing how it's an "ole slorch disagrees with us on this particular point, so he opposes everything."

Not even close, my friend.  But in today's society, disagreement equals "he hates me."

I'm genuinely curious as to your thoughts (and those of the other pro-lifers in this thread) on punishing men who fund/approve of/push women to have abortions, or if you think any punishment should rest solely on the woman. I haven't seen any of you address this topic although it's been brought up several times.

30 minutes ago, austingirl said:

I'm genuinely curious as to your thoughts (and those of the other pro-lifers in this thread) on punishing men who fund/approve of/push women to have abortions, or if you think any punishment should rest solely on the woman. I haven't seen any of you address this topic although it's been brought up several times.

I don't believe in punishing the women who have had abortions.  I am sincerely sorry if I have conveyed that.  I do not hate them.  I do not think any of my posts say something like that, but I never have felt that way.

I hate that they ever felt like it was a good( or best) option to have an abortion.   I wish abortion clinics would go out of business, not because of the law, but rather lack of business.

1.  While what the doctors are performing is legal, I have the conviction that what they are doing is profoundly immoral.  Again, i don't blame the woman for choosing a legal option in dealing with their pregnancy.  I do believe there is plenty of burden on the doctors who perform the abortion.

2. I do believe the man who pushes a woman to have an abortion is a coward.  Own your business.  If you didn't want a child, or acknowledge the possibility with the woman; don't have sex with her.  I have walked this walk, but on this board,  that means nothing compared to political playbooks and agendas.  If men would man the fuck up, our society would be way better off.  that isn't a very popular stance, but I absolutely feel that way.  If more men did what they were supposed to do, women wouldn't feel so isolated and scared as fuc( I don't say that as a shot at women.  i say it with the voice of experience.)

"Oh slorch, that isn't how we live.  That's too much guilt and blame for us.   Bullshit.  It's accountability... for the men of the world.

I have said repeatedly that i hate the notion that pregnancy just magically appears out of thin air...  Generally speaking, two people own it.  I believe it is a 50/50 endeavor.  that also drives why I get pissed off about people claiming it is a women's issue.  It is not... or at least it should not be.

I know.  I am idealistic as fuck.  Part of it comes from my childhood background where my bio parents could have just as easily aborted me as what they did in real life, which was to neglect and abuse me during the 2 different chances they had before I was adopted before the age of 4.  Secondly, I have lived this whole freaking situation, where my now wife had to tell me she was pregnant, and i could see the outright fear in her face.  She had no idea what I was going to say.   When I say i get the fear women have, I think there is some substance there.  On the flip side, there was no way i was going to not own my actions.  26 years later, we are still married and have raised a family.  maybe that's immaterial.  maybe that's trivial...  i can understand that take.  I feel it matters to own what you do.  I was man enough to father a child, I at least needed to support the mom and raise the kid, even if we had not gotten married...   i'm rambling sorry.

The world's bigger than lil ole slorch and we need practical solutions. I get that.  My suggestions are practical, but not always easy.

The politics of this turn me way off.  I do believe if we focused on being responsible human beings, our society would be in a much better spot...  but where's the political capital to be gleaned in acting right?

Edited by slorch

5 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I'd be more inclined to believe Republicans actually gave a damn about murders and the sanctity of human life if they didn't universally support the mass production of hand-held killing machines.

scooters are bad, for sure.

29 minutes ago, slorch said:

Posted earlier in this thread about raising kids who wouldn't tell me if they got an abortion.

FIFY

You do know, don't you, that all kids do things their parents would freak about if they knew, right?  And that kids grow up and develop their own value systems that rarely mimic those of their parents, right? Do you think you'd ever know if one of your kids got or paid for an abortion?  I'd bet every cent I have that they would not share that information with you. And unless you are clairvoyant you never will find out either way.

And LOL at the notion that "raising kids who (as far as you know) won't get abortions" equals support of social policy to discourage same. Tell us again about how you are allowed to use potentially lethal force to remove uninvited guests from your home if they are taking things that belong to you, but not for a woman to use force to remove an uninvited guest residing in her uterus taking things that belong to her.  Tell us why the Castle Doctrine extends to a person's domicile but not her person.  And be sure to disregard the fact that, according to your math, more than 12,000 women per year are impregnated via rape or incest because that number is too minuscule to matter.  

Anyway you sure spend a lot of time whining about what people on this thread think of you.  Why do you even care if people think you are an intolerant pig?  Why are you so sensitive about it?  Why is your skin so thin?  Do you think anyone who is pro choice cares if you think they are BABY MURDERERS?  I stand by my convictions and the fact that in your warped mind I "SUPPORT BABY MURDER" matters not one bit to me.  You are welcome to think what you want about me, just keep your opinions away from my uterus.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, M12BH said:

Posted earlier in this thread about raising kids who wouldn't tell me if they got an abortion.

FIFY

You do know, don't you, that all kids do things their parents would freak about if they knew, right?  And that kids grow up and develop their own value systems that rarely mimic those of their parents, right? Do you think you'd ever know if one of your kids got or paid for an abortion?  I'd bet every cent I have that they would not share that information with you. And unless you are clairvoyant you never will find out either way.

And LOL at the notion that "raising kids who (as far as you know) won't get abortions" equals support of social policy to discourage same. Tell us again about how you are allowed to use potentially lethal force to remove uninvited guests from your home if they are taking things that belong to you, but not for a woman to use force to remove an uninvited guest residing in her uterus taking things that belong to her.  Tell us why the Castle Doctrine extends to a person's domicile but not her person.  And be sure to disregard the fact that, according to your math, more than 12,000 women per year are impregnated via rape or incest because that number is too minuscule to matter.  

Anyway you sure spend a lot of time whining about what people on this thread think of you.  Why do you even care if people think you are an intolerant pig?  Why are you so sensitive about it?  Why is your skin so thin?  Do you think anyone who is pro choice cares if you think they are BABY MURDERERS?  I stand by my convictions and the fact that in your warped mind I "SUPPORT BABY MURDER" matters not one bit to me.  You are welcome to think what you want about me, just keep your opinions away from my uterus.  

I already did tell you.  But your idiotic analogy  seems so smart in your head.

If your theory was true, people could just blast their millennial kids in the head for not moving out of the house when they are 18.

Think they might get prosecuted with murder charges?  I do, and so would any reasonable person.

and I love, love, love the "I hope your kids turn gay" response, with regard to my kids having abortion.

Evidentally you don't believe in or have not experienced accountability in relationships.  thoughts and prayers for you, sweetheart.

5 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Almost 15,000 murders were commited with guns last year.

How many were committed with scooters?

if you take guns out of the hands of people who do not murder, that number will increase like a motherfucker.

like chasing rabbits, johnny?  Do it in another thread.

Edited by slorch

12 minutes ago, slorch said:

I don't believe in punishing the women who have had abortions.  I am sincerely sorry if I have conveyed that.  I do not hate them.  I do not think any of my posts say something like that, but I never have felt that way.

I hate that they ever felt like it was a good( or best) option to have an abortion.   I wish abortion clinics would go out of business, not because of the law, but rather lack of business.

1.  While what the doctors are performing is legal, I have the conviction that what they are doing is profoundly immoral.  Again, i don't blame the woman for choosing a legal option in dealing with their pregnancy.  I do believe there is plenty of burden on the doctors who perform the abortion.

2. I do believe the man who pushes a woman to have an abortion is a coward.  Own your business.  If you didn't want a child, or acknowledge the possibility with the woman; don't have sex with her.  I have walked this walk, but on this board,  that means nothing compared to political playbooks and agendas.  If men would man the fuck up, our society would be way better off.  that isn't a very popular stance, but I absolutely feel that way.  If more men did what they were supposed to do, women wouldn't feel so isolated and scared as fuc( I don't say that as a shot at women.  i say it with the voice of experience.)

"Oh slorch, that isn't how we live.  That's too much guilt and blame for us.   Bullshit.  It's accountability... for the men of the world.

I have said repeatedly that i hate the notion that pregnancy just magically appears out of thin air...  Generally speaking, two people own it.  I believe it is a 50/50 endeavor.  that also drives why I get pissed off about people claiming it is a women's issue.  It is not... or at least it should not be.

I know.  I am idealistic as fuck.  Part of it comes from my childhood background where my bio parents could have just as easily aborted me as what they did in real life, which was to neglect and abuse me during the 2 different chances they had before I was adopted before the age of 4.  Secondly, I have lived this whole freaking situation, where my now wife had to tell me she was pregnant, and i could see the outright fear in her face.  She had no idea what I was going to say.   When I say i get the fear women have, I think there is some substance there.  On the flip side, there was no way i was going to not own my actions.  26 years later, we are still married and have raised a family.  maybe that's immaterial.  maybe that's trivial...  i can understand that take.  I feel it matters to own what you do.  I was man enough to father a child, I at least needed to support the mom and raise the kid, even if we had not gotten married...   i'm rambling sorry.

The world's bigger than lil ole slorch and we need practical solutions. I get that.  My suggestions are practical, but not always easy.

The politics of this turn me way off.  I do believe if we focused on being responsible human beings, our society would be in a much better spot...  but where's the political capital to be gleaned in acting right?

You know, I give you shit when you post shit so I have to give you props when you post something thoughtful and meaningful.  I think we all want to live in a world where abortion clinics go out of business because of lack of business.  I'd be happy to live in that world. Sadly, we don't.  And even if every pregnancy was wanted and cherished, there would still be times they would need to be ended.  You say that there are those who are flip and blase about elective abortions of healthy embryos by healthy women.  Yes there are.  There are also people who are flip and blase about the fact that abortion is sometimes a horrible and tragic necessity arising from a sometimes desperately wanted pregnancy.  I think that's what sets me off the most - the utter, callous disregard for the women who find themselves in this situation.  They end up being the flotsam and jetsam of politicians looking to score cheap political points with their conservative bases.  These women's tragic personal circumstances are made infinitely harder by the insane laws that are passed in the name of cherishing life. It just....sucks.   And with that I'm done for the night.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, slorch said:

and I love, love, love the "I hope your kids turn gay" response, with regard to my kids having abortion.

Evidentally you don't believe in or have not experienced accountability in relationships.  thoughts and prayers for you, sweetheart.

What does being gay have to do with anything here?  If you want to talk about lame analogies, look no further.  People don't "turn gay".  They are or they aren't.  Has nothing to do with the ability to regulate the inside of one's body.  

And yeah oh shit you caught me.  I don't believe in accountability.  Never have.  Never will.  Never have experienced it.  Because not wanting to shove MY notion of accountability down someone else's throat means all that.  Now I really am leaving, I have things to do and I bet you have fetuses to go worship.  

7 minutes ago, M12BH said:

What does being gay have to do with anything here?  If you want to talk about lame analogies, look no further.  People don't "turn gay".  They are or they aren't.  Has nothing to do with the ability to regulate the inside of one's body.  

And yeah oh shit you caught me.  I don't believe in accountability.  Never have.  Never will.  Never have experienced it.  Because not wanting to shove MY notion of accountability down someone else's throat means all that.  Now I really am leaving, I have things to do and I bet you have fetuses to go worship.  

political ramblings.

Of course people do not turn gay, nor do they automatically have abortions.

thank you.

Edited by slorch

44 minutes ago, slorch said:

I appreciate this. Thank you. I'll have more to say in the morning but wanted to acknowledge this tonight.

15 hours ago, workswithseed said:

If you're watching Arthur at 12 I would feel sorry for your parents.

I would like to know how many young girls are being raped? Seems to always be rape everywhere.

A decade ago I quit a job I hated on the spur of the moment, and while I was looking for a more permanent position, I took a job at a private children's ranch to help with expenses. It was for kids that had gotten in trouble with the law, but the state felt they had extenuating circumstances that caused their bad behavior (usually mental health related stuff), so instead of being put in the juvenile system,  they were sent to live in group home with other children their age and attend a school run by the group home (ranch). When the kids were not in school they stayed in one of the group homes where they were supervised by 2 staff at all times. 

I had a job as a supervisor in one of those houses. A lot of these kids had severe emotional issues. Because of that staff were given access to their files so we could better understand their situations. A large percentage of these kids, boys and girls, had been sexually abused/raped. Parents letting their drug dealers rape their kids for drugs. parents pimping out their kids for cash, parents/relatives raping the kids in their care, kids getting raped by their parent's friends (often drug related) who crashed at their house. Stomach turning shit to read about, life altering shit for these kids to experience.

The girls homes were the worst. A lot of these girls were cutters and had nasty scars up and down their arms and legs. They also were the ones who had the highest incidence of sexual abuse. The ranch had a policy of only using physical restraint in cases of the children being a danger to themselves or others. The supervisors in these girls homes were always female, but when girls where a danger to themselves or others they would call in male staff from other homes to help with the situation because of what always happened next. It sucked major ass to be called to one of these girls homes to help out. When male staff were forced to restrain them for their own safety, they would start screaming they were being raped and almost always 2-3 other girls would start freaking out as well due to flashbacks about the abuse they had experienced and often had to be restrained as well due to trying to self harm or attacking staff/other girls. It would just turn into a chain meltdown among the other females in the house due to what these girls had experienced.  I can't even imagine the extra damage these girls would have experienced to their mental health, if forced to carry a baby to term from the incest/rape many had gone through. And if they kept the baby and tried to raise it, the damage that would have likely resulted to the child due to the mother's fragile mental health.

Why do you think people who go to prison for crimes against children are brutalized by the prison population if they find out? It's because the prisons are full of people who were physically and sexually abused as children. Unfortunately, sexual abuse of minors is far more common than we would like to think.

• Like 8

I'm sorry that they had to through this, and I'm glad you put some good insight into this. This is why earlier in this thread that I'd be okay legally abortion for rape/incest were okay. I may still have moral problems with this, but there has to be some give I believe. 

The thing is also that I worry if they go through with it that they will feel guilty that they also believe they killed a life. 

17 hours ago, workswithseed said:

I thought Georgia was supposed to lose buisness after the bill, it seems to me Hollywood doesn't like their own taxes so still film in Georgia. 

Oh it’s starting:

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/la-et-st-georgia-abortion-power-reed-morano-kristen-wiig-20190521-story.html

Movie production and Amazon TV series pull out of Georgia due to abortion bill. And more to follow...

6 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

did i miss something?  when did someone say they hope slorch's kids turn gay?

It was a purposefully extreme answer to the suggestion that most any kid has or will have an abortion, regardless of relationship or values in their relationship with their parents.

8 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Nevermind, let's get this back on track.  You want your way even though almost 70% of the country disagrees with you.  Carry on.

1.  i don't think Roe V Wade will ever be rescinded.  I accept that.  For what it's worth, i despise all of the legalistic/ obstructionist/ horseshit slow play politics of the right regarding abortion.  Don't threaten anyone to change their minds.  Be a better citizen.  on HPSlugga's challenge, I am right there. Help someone find their way in life by giving them hope and confidence, not guilt trips or blame..  Again, get to a point where abortion doesn't seem like the best option.

2.  I just posted last night how things might be better solved by men owning their shit.  Is that premise so disgusting?  How would our wives/ girlfriends feel about themselves with a stronger commitment to male responsibilities by the guys in their lives?  How would our children turn out differently?  is 70% of the country against that?  probably...LOlz.

My position is that we can do so much better than abortion, but it is the fallback for a lazy society.  When people act like it is some celebration of liberty, I'm sorry, but I cannot view it that way.  It is ultimately ending a life, who in my opinion should live.   I understand that is juxtaposed to the majority.  it does not mean I am not entitled to my opinion.

Edited by slorch
shitty spelling.

5 hours ago, Left Coast said:

Oh it’s starting:

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/la-et-st-georgia-abortion-power-reed-morano-kristen-wiig-20190521-story.html

Movie production and Amazon TV series pull out of Georgia due to abortion bill. And more to follow...

I wonder if they will bow down or will stand on their principles.

I mean if Oregon can pay for all abortions even if it has a school problem as bad as bama. I dont see what's so wrong with Bama, or Georgia doing thier own thing.

Edited by workswithseed

11 hours ago, slorch said:

I do.

That remains to be seen.

In this example, who is "us?"

Such as, and on what grounds?