Austin Homeless Free for All Ordinance

rage-a-holic

29 minutes ago, CDAK said:

People move.  Their cities of origin aren't responsible for their upkeep in a new place.

Their cities of origin should; however, face hefty fines for intentionally relocating their problems to other cities via bus tickets or rides from local law enforcement.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Their cities of origin should; however, face hefty fines for intentionally relocating their problems to other cities via bus tickets or rides from local law enforcement.

Yeah, I disagree with that practice, absent certain circumstances (e.g., family support is in city X and willing to help so city Y buses person to city X).

4 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

No, Gsoda- there aren’t “groups” like that because all the diverse groups are all working together in the kind of approach you describe already. Good grief.

It’s not a coordination problem although you can always be more coordinated, and it’s really not even a money problem although you can always use more money. It’s a citizen obstruction problem against a backdrop of broad indifference more than anything else.

you're not getting it.  

i'm not talking about different groups with different boards, agendas, missions, interests, and budgets cooperating across their organizational lines.  i'm talking about ONE GROUP that has the authority and weight of the organizations of the representative members operating with a charter to give people back some dignity.  is there a group like this?  if so i'm unaware.  

for those who have gone through the program, if they choose to not continue with the support offered then they're on their own.  just know that the city of austin will strictly enforce its laws and any subsequent arrests will result in longer sentences.

On 6/18/2019 at 5:43 PM, Trey3216 said:

Mix that with the 16.5 tons of cocaine they found at the Port of Philly today.   Should finish the job, and maybe finish it throughout the state 

May not work as well as you think.  

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/may/10/blow-up-how-half-a-tonne-of-cocaine-transformed-the-life-of-an-island

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

i'm not talking about different groups with different boards, agendas, missions, interests, and budgets cooperating across their organizational lines.  i'm talking about ONE GROUP that has the authority and weight of the organizations of the representative members operating with a charter to give people back some dignity.  is there a group like this?  if so i'm unaware.  

I'm sorry, but what does this even mean? "Authority" granted by whom? To do what? "Charter" to do what, exactly? This is just a bunch of hollow corporate speak that doesn't actually propose anything other than "let other people who give a shit about this figure it out."

• Like 1

Coming soon to Austin thanks to the Silly Council.   

Conditions On The Streets Of San Francisco Are Comparable To “The Slums Of Mumbai, Delhi, Mexico City, Jarkarta, And Manila

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/archives/conditions-on-the-streets-of-san-francisco-are-comparable-to-the-slums-of-mumbai-delhi-mexico-city-jarkarta-and-manila

1 minute ago, 4th&Five said:

Well, if the economic collapse blog says so...

LOL. ... I just posted it to get a reaction.    I mean I get what is happening on the West coast and what we fear might happen in Austin is a real issue.  If the shores of Town Lake start being used as a regular spot for bathes and doing laundry, then we might as well call it a day.

27 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I’ve read some long time residents of SF post how happy they were to move out of there because of the human generated filth all over the city. They think Austin is about to go the  same sorry way.

50 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

The quote is from a UN official during her street tour of SF.

https://www.businessinsider.com/un-expert-san-francisco-homeless-cruelty-2018-11

When Leilani Farha paid a visit to San Francisco in January, she knew the grim reputation of the city's homeless encampments. In her four years as the United Nations Special Rapporteur for Adequate Housing, Farha has visited the slums of Mumbai, Delhi, Mexico City, Jarkarta, and Manila. The crisis in San Francisco, she said, is comparable to these conditions.

26 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I’ve read some long time residents of SF post how happy they were to move out of there because of the human generated filth all over the city. They think Austin is about to go the  same sorry way.

Yeah. People are leaving the Bay Area in droves. Prices are dropping accordingly.

Wait.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Coming soon to Austin thanks to the Silly Council.   

Conditions On The Streets Of San Francisco Are Comparable To “The Slums Of Mumbai, Delhi, Mexico City, Jarkarta, And Manila

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/archives/conditions-on-the-streets-of-san-francisco-are-comparable-to-the-slums-of-mumbai-delhi-mexico-city-jarkarta-and-manila

According to this article, the City of Austin has an obligation to provide more housing, healthcare, and public facilities for the homeless.

Cool.

• Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

It's about a UN report that declares housing as a human right. The article says San Francisco isn't doing enough for the homeless.

Here's the UN report. https://www.undocs.org/A/73/310/rev.1

What a fucking idiot leap of illogic.

So if I link to something written by Simon Weisenthal wherein he quotes Hitler and Stalin, Simon Weisenthal supports mass murderers.

Nowhere in that article does the author say SF or Austin has an obligation to provide more housing, healthcare, and public facilities for the homeless.

Your shtick works better when you're suggesting anyone not aligned with you in this thread is a heartless hatemonger.

28 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

What a fucking idiot leap of illogic.

So if I link to something written by Simon Weisenthal wherein he quotes Hitler and Stalin, Simon Weisenthal supports mass murderers.

Nowhere in that article does the author say SF or Austin has an obligation to provide more housing, healthcare, and public facilities for the homeless.

Your shtick works better when you're suggesting anyone not aligned with you in this thread is a heartless hatemonger.

The UN report maintains that housing is a human right. The Business Insider article you posted reported on that and included the opinion of one of the report's authors when it comes to San Francisco's obligation to the homeless. 

There's lots of quotes and everything, like this one (emphasis mine): Under international human rights law, governments are required "to apply the maximum of available resources to upgrading informal settlements" like slums, shanty towns, and homeless encampments.

And this one: If a person is walking along the street and sees someone homeless, it's okay to think whatever you want, she said. "But also think, 'That homeless person represents my government's failure to implement the right to adequate housing.'"

And this one: One of her dreams as Special Rapporteur is to get people to understand the role of government in homelessness.

The last time I checked, the City of San Francisco (and Austin) is government.

49 minutes ago, Deej said:

chappelle show lol GIF

Yeah, I know. It isn’t going to happen because thos idiots running the city don’t give a shit about abusing the taxpayers - from the blue collar homeowners in the barrios to the 1%ers on Balcones Drive. You know, the ones who actually make the city work.

25 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Late off season the CR cranks get clicky and most commonly end up in this sub.

Happened over in the shooting thread too.

I've found that the ignore feature for all CR frequent posters is a valuable asset.

That’s unfortunate. 

It’s sad when the perpetual circle jerk of CR is insufficient stimulation for you, forcing you to seek out other forums to pollute. At least Bozo appears to have a personal connection to this topic. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

That’s unfortunate. 

It’s sad when the perpetual circle jerk of CR is insufficient stimulation for you, forcing you to seek out other forums to pollute. At least Bozo appears to have a personal connection to this topic. 

What are you doing here?

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

What are you doing here?

I was bored at work. Actually was looking for the crypto thread and clicked here. I then shared a link to an interesting (to me) story with no CR connection. 

Why?

Just now, GRHorn said:

I was bored at work. Actually was looking for the crypto thread and clicked here. I then shared a link to an interesting (to me) story with no CR connection. 

Why?

Well, this is an overtly political thread in the Daily Texan. I thought maybe you missed the gang.

Just now, David Dennison said:

Well, this is an overtly political thread in the Daily Texan. I thought maybe you missed the gang.

Nope. I post over there sporadically which is still more than I should bother.  

18 hours ago, irishtexan said:

I'm sorry, but what does this even mean? "Authority" granted by whom? To do what? "Charter" to do what, exactly? This is just a bunch of hollow corporate speak that doesn't actually propose anything other than "let other people who give a shit about this figure it out."

it works like this: 

if a FBO or a NPO wants to buy land and develop it to build a dormitory/school/treatment facility, they have their rep on this board work with the city rep on the board to fast track all permits and to make sure everything is in compliance.  if there's a zoning change that's required the city rep can facilitate that.  they can do that because they've been given the charge to do what needs to be done to find a solution.  

or the city can go to these FBO/NPO reps and ask for help in dealing with specific trends they're seeing-  a rapid increase in the homeless over the past 6 months needs to be addressed, hey what can you guys do? are there specific programs that can be instituted but maybe need assistance in training from specific industries?  board reps can help place those volunteers.

currently the infrastructure to help the homeless is quite fragmented.  there's no singular organization that places members from different parts of the community in one room with the same goal of helping grease each others' skids to get work done.  as far as i know anyway, which is why i asked bozo if there was one and i've not gotten a response.  

i've been parts of different organizations dealing with the homeless, albeit not in austin.  i've experienced the frustration of differing missions and organizations not only not helping each other but actually fighting for dominance.   you said it's "hollow business speak", and i agree it's clumsy to use words that can be somewhat vague, but the idea remains the same.  with a multi-faceted problem of this nature you gotta tackle it a small piece at a time.  and once you start putting those pieces together that's where you'll see the difference.  cooperation from a bunch of different organizations operating independently is hard to come by.

7 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

Currently the infrastructure to help the homeless is quite fragmented.  there's no singular organization that places members from different parts of the community in one room with the same goal of helping grease each others' skids to get work done.  as far as i know anyway, which is why i asked bozo if there was one and i've not gotten a response.  

No, I responded. I said it's not really that fragmented in Austin and the groups talk to each other quite a bit. It's not perfectly coordinated, obviously, and I'm not saying your idea is bad, but I'm telling you that the biggest obstacle to a holistic and humane coordinated approach to homelessness in Austin (including yours) is the intractable opposition to it by a few and the broad indifference of most. 

Upthread, somebody suggested the San Antonio model, for example, which is similar to what you suggest. The obstacle to that solution in Austin is 3 parts money and 7 parts zoning, and major opposition to supporting the cost tradeoffs of either. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

Organized bum fights. Sell tickets, place wagers on your favorite street gladiator, sell concessions, etc. 

Each warrior gets a cut while the rest of the prrofit goes towards housing, heroin, hookers, and blow.

They already have that. It's called UFC.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

No, I responded. I said it's not really that fragmented in Austin and the groups talk to each other quite a bit. It's not perfectly coordinated, obviously, and I'm not saying your idea is bad, but I'm telling you that the biggest obstacle to a holistic and humane coordinated approach to homelessness in Austin (including yours) is the intractable opposition to it by a few and the broad indifference of most. 

Upthread, somebody suggested the San Antonio model, for example, which is similar to what you suggest. The obstacle to that solution in Austin is 3 parts money and 7 parts zoning, and major opposition to supporting the cost tradeoffs of either.

i must have missed it then, sorry.

can you give some examples?  is it something that could be solved by finding more money or finding motivation to rezone?  the main benefit of what i'm suggesting is the pooling of resources (human, intellectual, and monetary) under a common mission becomes much easier.  egos are easier to manage and ownership of MY mission/organization is less.  

This showed up this morning on a vacant commercial lot near my office on Airport commerce (near 183&71).  It is so trashed I am surprised it survived the journey. This is what should be deposited near our city council members houses.  They are harder to get rid of. 

0-C1-C11-BD-6-DBC-4-AD5-B6-DE-D619-E8-E6