Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

2 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

So basically you are saying we are stuck with Shaka, knowing he isn't the answer, for at least two more years? CDC proving he knows how to build a winner, well once the buyout is 'reasonable'. Seems like a waste of $6M to pay a guy to coach two more years and pay him another $7M to go away, especially when you have already decided he isn't the answer...

Does Shaka's contract spell out exactly what we can't make him do to get the money? If not, can we make him coach/towel boy/toilet cleaner/churro hawker?

Move his office to the worst place imaginable. Take away his parking spot. Have people follow him around campus mocking him. Do whatever we can to make him as miserable as he's made us.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

So basically you are saying we are stuck with Shaka, knowing he isn't the answer, for at least two more years? CDC proving he knows how to build a winner, well once the buyout is 'reasonable'. Seems like a waste of $6M to pay a guy to coach two more years and pay him another $7M to go away, especially when you have already decided he isn't the answer...

I'm not saying that's what will happen, but it is certainly a realistic scenario.

Just now, Tired Horn said:

Does Shaka's contract spell out exactly what we can't make him do to get the money? If not, can we make him coach/towel boy/toilet cleaner/churro hawker?

Move his office to the worst place imaginable. Take away his parking spot. Have people follow him around campus mocking him. Do whatever we can to make him as miserable as he's made us.

I would love to see you get laughed out of a room with Chris Del Conte and Fenves after you earnestly suggest this course of action.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I'm not saying that's what will happen, but it is certainly a realistic scenario.

And that's the point. If CDC really thinks Shaka isn't the answer, then potentially the worst move he can make is not moving at all. He could be stuck with a guy he has no faith in, doing just enough to make firing him a PR nightmare all while watching the fundamentals continue to creep downward.

If CDC really can't get any back channel interest from the guys he wants, then OK sit tight and hope someone gets the moving bug next season (or more likely he needs to change his list to guys he has a shot at actually hiring). But I find the idea distasteful that finding Shaka a landing spot that reduces our financial exposure is the first order of business. Not sure what sort of high-end coaching candidate wouldn't look at that as a sign of weakness.

29 minutes ago, Tired Horn said:

Just direct Derkas efforts in a more focused way. Shaka would get the message and volunteer to move on after his 34th 14 page email. So, the 2nd or 3rd day most likely.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

His grandfather coached at Nebraska and Hoiberg was born in Lincoln. He has a lot of connections to Nebraska. 

MIght have to do with ISU being in the Big 12. I would very much doubt he would want to coach against the school that worships him.

In addition to agreeing that Shaka needs to go, and the sooner the better, can we also all agree that there is no way in hell the next coach should be given a $12.9-fucking-million buyout?  If the next guy has ANY confidence in his abilities, he should believe that his team will be successful enough that there will be no need for a buyout to be a consideration to begin with.  Asking for or demanding a buyout, especially one of this magnitude, seems tantamount to saying "I need some financial protection just in case I end up sucking here."   (Exhibit A = Shaka.)

2 minutes ago, DontCallMeSurly said:

In addition to agreeing that Shaka needs to go, and the sooner the better, can we also all agree that there is no way in hell the next coach should be given a $12.9-fucking-million buyout?  If the next guy has ANY confidence in his abilities, he should believe that his team will be successful enough that there will be no need for a buyout to be a consideration to begin with.  Asking for or demanding a buyout, especially one of this magnitude, seems tantamount to saying "I need some financial protection just in case I end up sucking here."   (Exhibit A = Shaka.)

All good coaching candidates will ask for guaranteed contracts. It's the cost of doing business.

What we shouldn't do is award extensions to head coaches for simply making the tournament as a mid-single digit seed with the previous coach's players.

Edited by Machinator

1 hour ago, Tired Horn said:

Quick, someone take his stapler away

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

A&M fired Kennedy the year after making the Sweet 16.

So if we somehow had a good season next year and then fell off again, I see no reason why CDC couldn't do the same, especially since Shaka's buyout would have dropped to a much more manageable $7M.

Kennedy made the Sweet 16 twice during Shaka's tenure.

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Kennedy made the Sweet 16 twice during Shaka's tenure.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. He made the Sweet 16 twice in his two tournament appearances, then missed the tournament entirely the other five times.

Kennedy and Shaka are both underperforming head coaches.

At least Kennedy won the SEC once, though.

Edited by Machinator

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. He made the Sweet 16 twice in his two tournament appearances, then missed the tournament entirely the other five times.

Kennedy and Shaka are both underperforming head coaches.

At least Kennedy won the SEC once, though.

What I'm saying is Kennedy was a better coach at a shit program that was rightfully fired for being bad at his job. The money at this point is a red herring.

9 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

If those names above are correct it's why Shaka is in the mix. 

Odom has done a good job at UMBC but double digit losses in all 3 seasons at UMBC. Wes Miller has made the tourney 1 time in 8 years at UNCG. The Wake Forest job is shit. 

I would think that a D1 job right smack dab in the heart of bball culture HQ would rate a decent to great HC. Get yo shit together, Deacs.

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

What I'm saying is Kennedy was a better coach at a shit program that was rightfully fired for being bad at his job. The money at this point is a red herring.

The money is not a red herring because his buyout was $10M less than Shaka's.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Kennedy made two sweet 16s because of the '15 class that Stansbury bought while he was there. 

Once Stansbury became the head coach at WKU it was all over for Kennedy. 

Yup.

avery was also pushing Dallas aau kids to a and m as well 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

My excitement at seeing this tweet is pretty much identical to that of a football commitment. 

Dear God, CDC work a miracle!!!

2 of the first replies on this tweet are asking if they can get Shaka. Idk how the fuck a fan base could want Shaka at this point, but I hope their AD hears them loud and clear.

Edited by Burt Macklin

Before Buzz was my guy, before Prohm was my guy, and before Musselman was my guy, some of you may remember that Mick Cronin was my no.1 guy for a long time. In fact the only reason I stopped calling for him to be our next HC is because he's a Cincy lifer who was then given a large extension. And with that being the case, I'm sure he himself has a decent sized buyout, and is probably still just as much of a pipe dream as he ever was, but I felt like throwing his name back into the mix since it's been out of it for so long.

That retard Motown Horn was predictably giving me shit for "making excuses" when i said that I didn't like Tennessee having to potentially play Cincy in round two, but anybody who is rooting for the Vols would be foolish not to feel that way. Cronin was great at Murray State, he took Cincy from a doormat in the Big Easy to a good program, and then since the move to the AAC where he's now coaching one of the top dogs he's just been awesome. Since the move Cincy has finished 1st, 3rd, 3rd, 2nd, 1st, and 2nd in the league. They're 89-17 the last three years, and they have one of the best defenses in the country every year. And they do it with four year NCAA players. Cronin would be a huge get, and I really hope that we're at least going to make him turn us down.

Edited by Goo Punch

There was a fairly young guy who had a nice few years at Butler. Apparently he's no longer in basketball, but it might be worth seeing if he'd like to be a head coach again. AFAIK he was scandal-free and a decent strategist. As much as I'm leery of taking another midmajor guy, he might be someone to roll the dice on.

2 hours ago, Pancho Negro said:

Hoiberg agent getting this out early..... hoping to raise the offer amounts for Fred for head coaching jobs.

What are some of the possible openings?

Nebraska??  A&M, LSU?, UCLA?, Wake Forest?, Temple?, Boston College? Arizona?

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic