The Beach Boys

Sbbruin

24 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

when we pick teams for the "Pet Sounds" fight, I'm on the "it's dogshit" side. 

Wow, you're regarded.

Brian Wilson is unquestionably one of rock's geniuses. Here's one reason why. You can hear him working out one little piece of the insanely complex final version that he hears in his head:

And if you really want to get into it, here's Brian Wilson working out California Girls. It takes 45 minutes and 42 takes, but it's pretty cool seeing how it all comes together. He was exacting but had it all worked out in his head -- just needed to get the players all aligned to get there:

Remember that he started experiencing symptoms of schizoaffective disorder right around the release of Good Vibrations / Pet Sounds. He still receives treatment for it. The film Love and Mercy is a great biopic. He's pretty amazing to see live, as he just comes out and his band checks in with him throughout to see what he's able to perform without his symptoms getting in the way. Incredible story about a genius struggling with mental illness and (at times) harnessing it all into amazing works of mastery.

• Like 3

@Celery Man Well, I could have as easily used, Van Halen, ZZ Top, Deep Purple or a hundred others.

I find all the "he's a genius" talk to be a giant bore.  He may be a genius, but his music pretty much sucks, and aside from some self-important snobs, nobody really gives a shit about it. 

How often do you hear a Beach Boys song?   Have you ever gone to someones house and they had a Beach Boys album playing?  Have you ever heard somebody say that they couldn't wait...they fucking stood in line to buy a new BB album and then they played it a dozen times that day?  As a guitar player, have you ever really said to yourself "I'm not gonna stop playing tonight until I figure out this Beach Boys lick"?  Have you ever heard anybody say "I heard a beach boys song, and I begged my parents to buy me a guitar" or "I sold my comic book collection to buy a guitar"?

You come over to my place on a weekend, I promise you that you'll hear the Beatles and Stones in heavy rotation.  No BB.   And I've got a funny feeling that I'm not alone. 

Edited by Gil Bang

Can’t think of beach boys guitar parts that I care all that much about, but I’d use the Carol Kaye bass part on Good Vibrations as an example of a part I’ve loved and picked out.  Rocking guitar parts aren’t really their thing, but tons of beautiful melodies, vocal and otherwise.  And I feel like I hear Beach Boys songs frequently - Wouldn’t it be nice,  good vibrations, God only knows, sloop John b, not to mention their cheesier stuff that gets a lot of commercial use.  If The Beach Boys were a true band I think it’d be an easy argument that they are the greatest American band

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

meh.  

I'm gonna go ahead and dislike the beach boys, and you can fuck right off and jerk it to the "genius" all you want.   I'll pick fucking Motorhead over the fucking Beach Boys 100 times out of 100.  

Wrong and confident.  You’re the kind of woman I always end up with.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Didn't grow up a beach Boys fan, but their music is iconic 60's, Pet Sounds is a friggin masterpiece (acclaimed that by many in the rock and roll business ), and Brian Wilson is a savant.  Saw him perform the Beach Boys biggest hits, and the entire Pet sounds album back in Nov.  Really good show.

Remember watching  the movie with John Kusak as B. Wilson, and a big part of the movie was the making of Pet Sounds.  I was amazed at the specific sounds he wanted, the time he Took to get them, and how they all came together to create something so unique. He broke very musical rule and came out the other side with Platinum covered unobtanium.

Somebody said  something about Motor head, it's all personal preference of course, but Jesus did yer mom feed you Drano as a kid ?  Motorheads sound is like every other metal or speed metal band out there. The Beach Boys created a sound all their own.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Didn't grow up a beach Boys fan, but their music is iconic 60's, Pet Sounds is a friggin masterpiece (acclaimed that by many in the rock and roll business ), and Brian Wilson is a savant.  Saw him perform the Beach Boys biggest hits, and the entire Pet sounds album back in Nov.  Really good show.

Remember watching  the movie with John Kusak as B. Wilson, and a big part of the movie was the making of Pet Sounds.  I was amazed at the specific sounds he wanted, the time he Took to get them, and how they all came together to create something so unique. He broke very musical rule and came out the other side with Platinum covered unobtanium.

Somebody said  something about Motor head, it's all personal preference of course, but Jesus did yer mom feed you Drano as a kid ?  Motorheads sound is like every other metal or speed metal band out there. The Beach Boys created a sound all their own.

Dude, you and I disagree a lot (on CR, rarely elsewhere as far as I can tell) but you seem like a good guy, and I trust that you are honest. 

Let's play a game.   Name as many songs on "Pet Sounds" as you can without cheating with the googles.  It's so fucking awesome, those songs should be hummed by millions everyday, right? 

It's an album that is so great, people that never bothered to buy it know how great it is. 

Edited by Gil Bang

Here are the tracks from "Abbey Road":

Come Together

Something

Maxwell's Silver Hammer

Oh Darling

Octopus's Garden

I Want You (She's So Heavy)

Here Comes the Sun

Because

You Never Give Me Your Money

Sun King

Mean Mr. Mustard

Polythene Pam

She Came In Through the Bathroom Window

Golden Slumbers

Carry That Weight

The End

16 fucking songs, and everybody on this board can whistle at least 10 of them, and most can do at least 14.

Here are the tracks from Pet Sounds:

Wouldn't it Be Nice

You Still Believe in Me

That's Not Me

Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)

I'm Waiting For The Day

Let's Go Away For Awhile

Sloop John B

God Only Knows'

I Know There's An Answer

Here Today

I Just Wasn't Made For These Times

Pet Sounds 

Caroline No

That's 13 songs and most people might know 3 or 4 of them.  It's a "great" album filled with songs that nobody cares about

Edited by Gil Bang

11 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Dude, you and I disagree a lot (on CR, rarely elsewhere as far as I can tell) but you seem like a good guy, and I trust that you are honest. 

Let's play a game.   Name as many songs on "Pet Sounds" as you can without cheating with the googles.  It's so fucking awesome, those songs should be hummed by millions everyday, right? 

It's an album that is so great, people that never bothered to buy it know how great it is. 

I'l play, and I can only name a few. Wouldn't it be nice, Sloop John B, and God only Knows.  The rest just aren't what you'd call top 40 radio ready, again part of what I like about it.  

It just sounds different than anything else (in Rock) from that time, which is part of it for me.  God Only knows is one of the greatest loves songs out there IMO.

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

I'l play, and I can only name a few. Wouldn't it be nice, Sloop John B, and God only Knows.  The rest just aren't what you'd call top 40 radio ready, again part of what I like about it.  

It just sounds different than anything else (in Rock) from that time, which is part of it for me.  God Only knows is one of the greatest loves songs out there IMO.

There you go.

Meanwhile, I've since posted Abbey Road above.  You know ALL of those songs, I'm willing to wager.

1 minute ago, Gil Bang said:

Come Together

Something

Maxwell's Silver Hammer

Oh Darling

Octopus's Garden

Here Comes the Sun

Because

Sun King

Mean Mr. Mustard

Polythene Pam

Golden Slumbers

Carry That Weight

The End

16 fucking songs, and everybody on this board can whistle at least 10 of them, and most can do at least 14.

Wouldn't it Be Nice

You Still Believe in Me

That's Not Me

I'm Waiting For The Day

Let's Go Away For Awhile

Sloop John B

God Only Knows'

I Know There's An Answer

Here Today

Pet Sounds 

Caroline No

That's 13 songs and most people might know 3 or 4 of them. 

Abbey Road has a pop music feel to it. It's not one of my favorite Beatles albums, but has songs that Are among my favorite Beatles tunes. They're very different types of albums.

5 minutes ago, mdmost said:

The Beatles were so enamored with Pet Sounds that it pushed them to do Sgt Peppers even down to a song with animal sounds in it in tribute. 

Fellini movies are influential.  I defy you to watch one in it's entirety.

3 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

No, not a PF fan.  I turn the dial when their songs come on.

Well................. yer a siiiiiiiiick bastard.  Seriously though no. 1 selling album of all time up to a few years ago.  I love it, recognize its greatness, and couldn't tell you more than a couple song titles.  

Now ask me about Bob Dylan, The Doors, Grateful Dead,  or Little Feat........

The Beach Boys are laughing all the way to the bank. Please entertain us with music you've put out that has topped theirs. May not be your cup of tea, but obviously, people liked it, and many musicians hold them in some regard. 

The Beach Boys on The Mall in DC on the Fourth of July in the 80’s was as iconic Americana as it gets.  Great music, great crowd, stoned and drunk, great setting and fireworks with the Washington Monument in the foreground.  Add acid and it was a hell of a good time.  

• Like 1

The Beach Boys are laughing all the way to the bank. Please entertain us with music you've put out that has topped theirs. May not be your cup of tea, but obviously, people liked it, and many musicians hold them in some regard. 

You fucking moron, fucking Florida Georgia line is laughing all the way to the bank. So fucking what?

Comparing Beach Boys to Beatles is fair. Being able to whistle “Maxwell’s Silver Hammer” is not an endorsement of that song, but Abbey Road has more great songs than Pet Sounds, but it would be more fair to compare it to Revolver, and I think you’re still rating it low in comparison to Abbey Road. Paul and John beat Brian, Brian might stack up well against either of them alone, but also he lost his mind.

Caroline No is a great song too btw. I think there are parts of Pet Sounds that haven’t aged well or sound trite, but it’s a great album.

Can we have a thread about The Beach Boys without some doucher shitting all over it? No fucking shit the Beatles have a more impressive catalogue. No fucking shit Motorhead is heavier. No fucking shit most people can’t name all the songs off pet sounds. You want a cookie for pointing out the obvious? 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I could name every song including the alternative title to one of the songs (I Know There's an Answer/Hang on to your Ego).  I had the CD when I used to have CDs, and I also own it on vinyl.

Songs from Pet Sounds have appeared in tons of TV shows and movies, so I'm pretty sure plenty of people could recognize and hum them. Sorry it's not your cup of tea, but it doesn't suck and it's objectively as good or better than anything from Motorhead.  And sorry you can't pick out your favorite guitar licks on an album written on a piano and performed by an orchestra.  I could share some of my favorite harpsichord riffs with you.

Edited by Tom

I am not a Beach Boys fan, but I'm baffled by Gil Bang's argument here. Pet Sounds isn't good or important because the average person can't hum songs off of it,  but familiarity and popularity aren't important because terrible and dumb music acts like Florida Georgia line are popular. At the same time, screw popular well-known acts like the Beach Boys, give me something like Motorhead, which is good and important even though less than one person in a hundred can hum anything Motorhead ever wrote.

Again, I am not a Beach Boys fan and am at least thirty times more likely to listen to Motorhead than them, but the argument here is pretty incoherent.

Let me try: the Beach Boys are best-known, in pop culture, for songs that sound trite and meaningless 50+ years later. However, even their cheesiest records have some value because of their influence on the American teenager of the day and some of the writing and production values, specifically vocal harmonies and melodic approach. Their most important artistic contribution, Pet Sounds, is actually overrated and it's a hard album to understand because unlike their previous records, it's not commercial or particularly accessible, but you have to be a simpleton to not understand its importance as a musical influence of the era even if it didn't spawn a lot of covers or obvious ripoffs/influences. They have been commercial background music and a nostalgia act longer than a lot of us have been alive so they're at best pointless and at worst pretty annoying.

• Like 1

I'm a fan of their entire catalog.  Sloop John B., Wouldn't it be Nice, Good Vibrations, God Only Knows, Don't Worry Baby...freaking timeless and gifts to the world of music.

But you can't go by me...I like "Shut Down" and "I Get Around" and most of their older stuff as well.  

When do we start the Jan & Dean debates?

Come Together
Something
Maxwell's Silver Hammer
Oh Darling
Octopus's Garden
Here Comes the Sun
Because
Sun King
Mean Mr. Mustard
Polythene Pam
Golden Slumbers
Carry That Weight
The End

Wouldn't it Be Nice
You Still Believe in Me
That's Not Me
I'm Waiting For The Day
Let's Go Away For Awhile
Sloop John B
God Only Knows'
I Know There's An Answer
Here Today
Pet Sounds 
Caroline No
That's 13 songs and most people might know 3 or 4 of them.  It's a "great" album filled with songs that nobody cares about

I still have my dads original vinyl copies of both of these. So there’s that.
  • Like 1