Hot sauce for beef / venison chili?

bigshark88

Looking for a recommendation.

Wife and kids can't eat it too hot so I am looking for a sauce to kick-up my individual bowl. Don't want anything with too strong of its own flavor. I just want to spice up the meaty/savory/salty taste of the chili itself.

I live in Florida so anything super local will have to be internet available.

Scorned Woman maybe? I don't have any at the house but I remember it was pretty hot.

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

Step 1: make chili how you want
Step 4: eat chili the way you like it

This is what I do, the wife/kids can put enough beans/sour cream/cheese whatever so they like it, or just make something else while I eat Chili. 

6 hours ago, thestud said:

I recommend getting a new wife and kids before adulterating chili with hot sauce.

He's right. You need to ask yourself, "Are my wife and kids worth keeping me from the perfect bowl of chili?" If the answer is no, you need to either reexamine your priorities in life or how you cook chili.

18 minutes ago, thestud said:

Back when I was a single, poor, uncouth heathen I used to eat two cans of wolf brand smothered in Louisiana.

if you'd been actually poor it would have been HCF chili smothered in HCF hot sauce

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This.  It's not exactly a shocking step to take.  I do it all the time.  In fact, I add a splash of either one of those to a LOT of things.  Kicks em up a notch.

I go through a couple bottles a month.  Pizza.  Chili.  Chinese takeout.  Pasta.  My veggie and venison lunches with a little Parmesan.  

I'm not sure how you get heat without some kind of added flavor.  I'd split the pot near the end and maybe blend up a small can of chipotles en adobo to add to your batch.  At least then you're adding more "chili" flavor.

To me, most hot sauces have too much of a vinegar component for chili.  I'd love to hear recommendations for any that don't.

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not sure how you get heat without some kind of added flavor.  I'd split the pot near the end and maybe blend up a small can of chipotles en adobo to add to your batch.  At least then you're adding more "chili" flavor.

To me, most hot sauces have too much of a vinegar component for chili.  I'd love to hear recommendations for any that don't.

That's actually why I kinda like Crystal and Tapatio -- I like a little vinegary bite at the end.  But then, I like pickles and such -- if you don't like vinegary, then those sauces aren't a good choice.

If you just want "heat," isn't powdered cayenne really your easiest choice?  Maybe some fresh diced serrano, if you like heat with a good fresh "green veggie' flavor to it.

I try to avoid powdered chiles in my chili these days.  They don't blend well.  But, he could probably bloom some cayenne in olive oil and get that to mix in pretty well.

Agreed on serranos -- they're the most "flavor free" of the common hot chile peppers (jalapeno, serrano, habanero) in my book.  He could float a serrano or two in his batch.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Agree.  I love hot sauces and Cholula is probably my favorite, but that's not a flavor I want in my chili.  When I make chili, I'm looking for a specific flavor and even a fe drops of hot sauce in a bowl will dramatically alter the flavor.  

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

That's actually why I kinda like Crystal and Tapatio -- I like a little vinegary bite at the end.  But then, I like pickles and such -- if you don't like vinegary, then those sauces aren't a good choice.

If you just want "heat," isn't powdered cayenne really your easiest choice?  Maybe some fresh diced serrano, if you like heat with a good fresh "green veggie' flavor to it.

Sure, but the key ask from the OP is how to make two different kinds of chili, one mild for the family and one spicier for himself.  

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I try to avoid powdered chiles in my chili these days.  They don't blend well.  But, he could probably bloom some cayenne in olive oil and get that to mix in pretty well.

Agreed on serranos -- they're the most "flavor free" of the common hot chile peppers (jalapeno, serrano, habanero) in my book.  He could float a serrano or two in his batch.

He could do that, and I imagine he would, but he already stated that he can't make it as spicy as he'd like, because of his family.

49 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Start big batch of chili. Ladle out a few cups of chili after first spice dump for wife and kids. Continue to cook main pot of chili the right way. Problem solved. 

This is about the only solution that would work, if you don't want to add hot sauce or extra chipotle or something later on.  Basically, you're making two batches of chili.  Which is probably the best solution anyway.

Go with cayenne powder in your bowl or in a small one or two quart sauce pan that's your share.  It will dissolve just fine and it will not add any extra vinegar flavor.  I've tried not using chili powders but I've gone back to using 100% chili powder.

16 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

My assumption was that he had split the big batch into two -- one for the family, one for him.

Sounds like he's trying to avoid that, hence the original ask for a hot sauce to add after cooking, for his own portion.

But splitting into two and handling the level of spice differently for each batch is really the best way to do it IMO.  Not the easiest way certainly.

1 hour ago, HouTex said:

Go with cayenne powder in your bowl or in a small one or two quart sauce pan that's your share.  It will dissolve just fine and it will not add any extra vinegar flavor.  I've tried not using chili powders but I've gone back to using 100% chili powder.

Not sure what you mean here. Cayenne is a chili powder. Chili powder can be the powder of whatever dried chilis you're using. Unless there's a standard blend of "ancho/arbol/cascabel" peppers that I'm unaware of. 

Not sure what you mean here. Cayenne is a chili powder. Chili powder can be the powder of whatever dried chilis you're using. Unless there's a standard blend of "ancho/arbol/cascabel" peppers that I'm unaware of. 

Of course cayenne powder is a chile powder. Without quoting it, I was responding to the post above mine stating that he was moving away from powders because they don't blend as well as, I suppose, dried whole chiles that are soaked in hot water and then blended in a food processor or blender and then added to the pot. I have done that many times but I've gone back to using dry powders, including cayenne for heat. Dry powdered chili blend into my final product just fine for me. So my advice is to just add some additional cayenne powder (won't take much) to his bowl or add it to another saucepan as a second hotter batch.

1 minute ago, HouTex said:

Of course cayenne powder is a chile powder. Without quoting it, I was responding to the post above mine stating that he was moving away from powders because they don't blend as well as, I suppose, dried whole chiles that are soaked in hot water and then blended in a food processor or blender and then added to the pot. I have done that many times but I've gone back to using dry powders, including cayenne for heat. Dry powdered chili blend into my final product just fine for me. So my advice is to just add some additional cayenne powder (won't take much) to his bowl or add it to another saucepan as a second hotter batch.

That makes sense. I guess I was confused by the "it will not add any extra vinegar flavor" at the end because i wasn't sure how a powder could impart a vinegar flavor. 

I'm completely in the reconstituted pepper camp.  I haven't had consistent luck with dried chile peppers ground into powder -- quite often the final result is "gritty".  Perhaps there's a trick I'm unaware of, other than blooming in olive oil, which does seem to work fairly well.

11 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Sriracha