Jump to content
hayden_horn

austin radio stuff

Recommended Posts

Dudley and Bob being moved to the afternoons. I imagine it won't be long before they are gone altogether. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no idea how Dale Dudley has been on the air for over 30 years in Austin, but kudos to him I guess.  I find him intolerable.  He used to be a narcissistic asshole, now he's a narcissistic crybaby.

I'm sure they'll "hire" someone equally horrible for the morning show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I have no idea how Dale Dudley has been on the air for over 30 years in Austin, but kudos to him I guess.  I find him intolerable.  He used to be a narcissistic asshole, now he's a narcissistic crybaby.

I'm sure they'll "hire" someone equally horrible for the morning show.

Yeah, that show is only bearable when Dale is out and Bob and Matt can actually talk about something other than Dale. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Deej said:

Dudley and Bob being moved to the afternoons. I imagine it won't be long before they are gone altogether. 

that's a strange change. 

i have to admit, that show in the morning was one of my go-to's, along with bucky and erin. sure, it could be a rolling shitshow, but that's part of what makes it so interesting. they are pretty transparent about their bits, their adverts, and the business in general. they are also transparent (mostly) about their management conflicts, and how the sausage is made, so to speak.

i don't know about an afternoon drive time show on the fm dial when they normally play music, but i guess we shall see. i'll probably tune in on my way home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love it when Dale throws an extended on-air tantrum about some trivial thing his co-hosts do, that would have otherwise passed unnoticed by anyone listening to the show.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2019 at 9:53 PM, Chet Steadman said:

 

Unfortunately Ed and whats-his-name show isn’t one of them.  The 3-6pm window both Ward and Ed used to occupy is now one of the worst in radio.  
 

Holy moly it’s bad.   

Ed is just the worst.  Repeats his idiotic, uninteresting jokes and shitty takes over and over b/c we must have just not "heard him the first 5 times".  And does it all while interrupting whoever is on there with him trying to eek out an opinion.

The thing about Ward was he'd just talk right through Ed doing that and the uninteresting dumbfuck would give up and be quiet.  And goddamn I hate how he's so fucking obtuse about everything, always trying to be the voice of reason by not being too critical.  

Please go away Ed.  And take Bob Cole with you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, there's just nothing quite like a father-and-son buffoon show.  Congratulations, Ben (or whatever your name is).  You're not quite as stupid as your dad.

Edited by jimmyjazz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kevin Dunn mentioned something about “Tyler’s new show” during the 4pm hour today, anyone hear anything? Tyler Coe maybe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Aldo Raine said:

Kevin Dunn mentioned something about “Tyler’s new show” during the 4pm hour today, anyone hear anything? Tyler Coe maybe?

tyler campbell, earl's son. he'll have a saturday show, i think from 11 - 2. i don't know anyone who listens to radio over the weekend, but it's still kind of cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/12/2019 at 12:49 PM, Wally Pryor said:

What / who is Hardge?   I thought most Austin radio personalities were perpetually shuffling station to station but this person doesn't ring a bell.   Is it the guy that replaced Adams?

Mike Hardge. Played minor league professional baseball for a long time but didn't make it to the bigs. Was bff with Sean Adams and when Sean passed, Mike filled his seat. I assumed it was temporary but somehow he stuck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

tyler campbell, earl's son. he'll have a saturday show, i think from 11 - 2. i don't know anyone who listens to radio over the weekend, but it's still kind of cool.

Hornfm posts pretty much all their shows on soundcloud. Hopefully that will be among them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, there's just nothing quite like a father-and-son buffoon show.  Congratulations, Ben (or whatever your name is).  You're not quite as stupid as your dad.

Fuckin' A jimmy!

Fuckin' A

When Jeff was on I didn't always agree with him, but I'd learn some things I didn't know (unless it was current day sports, because he was clueless there).

Now that it's mainly just Ed, I learn nothing.  Absolutely nothing.  And to pour salt in that wound is the reality that Ed truly believes that if we'd all just listen to him we WOULD learn something.  He really believes that and once the hilarity of that runs it's course his mere presence on my radio dial makes me want to punch a kitten.

Edited by Cajun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

that's a strange change. 

i have to admit, that show in the morning was one of my go-to's, along with bucky and erin. sure, it could be a rolling shitshow, but that's part of what makes it so interesting. they are pretty transparent about their bits, their adverts, and the business in general. they are also transparent (mostly) about their management conflicts, and how the sausage is made, so to speak.

i don't know about an afternoon drive time show on the fm dial when they normally play music, but i guess we shall see. i'll probably tune in on my way home.

yeah, i go between the two in the morning when i have a kid in the car and can't listen to stern. it's really the only time i listen to austin radio anymore.  i still remember hearing about dudley and bob for the first time...they were handing out temp. tattoos outside the mr.gatti's in westlake.  i was in 7th or 8th grade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like the Trey and BK afternoon show is gone. Trey was just on being very gloomy and cryptic about it. Could be one of their weird bits though I guess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Sounds like the Trey and BK afternoon show is gone. Trey was just on being very gloomy and cryptic about it. Could be one of their weird bits though I guess. 

Wow, that would be pretty surprising to me.  I kind of enjoy a few minutes of that if I'm out driving at lunchtime.  They are both curmudgeonly past their years, but usually some pretty interesting takes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trey flat out said no more Trey BK midday, that it was the reality of things and they would both be doing other things at the station.

Didnt sound like they got fired, just that their mid day segment got yanked.

 

obviously not expected because Trey was shilling for famous voice promos for the Midday show all throughout super bowl radio row week with almost anyone they talked to.

 

 

also, non austin radio related but DirectTV pulled the plug on The Rich Eisen Show yesterday, it was their last show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They need to put Trey, Wags, Chad and Kevin out to pasture.  BK and EHogan are legit.  

I'm not sure what Bucky is, but he makes me laugh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Sounds like the Trey and BK afternoon show is gone. Trey was just on being very gloomy and cryptic about it. Could be one of their weird bits though I guess. 

huh. 

i liked their show. thought it was one of the better produced show on the station. wonder why they got yanked. they did some really interesting things and were great at getting good guests.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

huh. 

i liked their show. thought it was one of the better produced show on the station. wonder why they got yanked. they did some really interesting things and were great at getting good guests.

I know they were shaggy fans but those guys sounded like they were broadcasting from their mom’s basement.  
 

I know Austin isn’t a large media market but our radio options for sports are never better than average and frequently worse.  I’ll admit Babers has improved but his someone with actual background in broadcasting would be a big improvement.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's too bad, I liked Trey and bk when i was out at lunch. They did a great job getting guests on. I guess they will just put some syndicated show in that spot

Rich eisen show was terrible, i won't miss it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

I know Austin isn’t a large media market but our radio options for sports are never better than average and frequently worse.

just think, it's possible we deserve what we get

eloi eloi lama sabbacthani

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Buck Strickland said:

Dudley and Bob peaked in the 90's with rate a bride, where they would judge the wedding announcements in the paper.  Damn I'm old

Dudley peaked when he and Clark Ryan got a wedding picture of them published in the Statesman, with one of them in drag, along with a write up that included a honeymoon at Schlitterbahn. Statesman was none too happy. Clark left shortly after and Bob and Deborah joined the show.

Edited by ftf82

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm not sure how, but hopefully this results in getting that Wags guy off my radio. 


So gents, then it’ll be national polishing up my resume day?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2020 at 10:18 AM, Red Five said:

Sounds like the Trey and BK afternoon show is gone. Trey was just on being very gloomy and cryptic about it. Could be one of their weird bits though I guess. 

Jeff Ward to the Horn?  That's one theory floating around the JW fan page on facebook, I could see it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, UTCzech III said:

Jeff Ward to the Horn?  That's one theory floating around the JW fan page on facebook, I could see it.

Except for the fact that his wife debunked that theory earlier in the thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Except for the fact that his wife debunked that theory earlier in the thread.

Damn, missed that.  Ah see it now.  Still would have been interesting.  Never say never.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so from what i gathered listening to chad and kevin is that it's going to be chad and trey or something at midday, then kevin, rod, and bk at 3?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is from their facebook page:

The Horn staff is excited to announce some lineup changes coming March 4th. “To be able to reconstitute our daily line up with our current talent, while adding Craig Way and a talent the caliber of Jeff Howe, is extremely exciting. These moves put us in a position to see tremendous growth into the new decade.” -Erin Hogan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guess I’m in the minority but I never liked listening to BK. His takes are fine but the old curmudgeonly attitude is a beating to listen to and even more ridiculous sounding coming from a young guy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Guess I’m in the minority but I never liked listening to BK. His takes are fine but the old curmudgeonly attitude is a beating to listen to and even more ridiculous sounding coming from a young guy.  

Poor man's Jeff Ward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I don’t think the Chad and Trey show will be very popular.
Going to be a lot of parenting stories.

Too bad, I liked bk and Trey together and they did a good job. Trey is great at lining up guests and does a good job interviewing/prepping. I'd listen to them at lunch if I was out.the rest of the time I flip between Howard and not but usually listen to Bucky and Erin for a bit at least.

I guess we will see how it works. I never listen to the afternoon show anymore so maybe this will make it better, but I doubt it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Updawg said:

Trey is great at lining up guests and does a good job interviewing/prepping.

On what planet?  Trey is a horrible interviewer.  He doesn't listen to what the other guy says.  He asks a question, let's them talk for a bit, and then abruptly breaks into the next question, which has nothing to do with the previous talking points.  There is no flow.  There is no conversation.  He's clearly reading off a notecard and couldn't give a shit what the answers are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2020 at 1:15 PM, Buck Strickland said:

Dudley and Bob peaked in the 90's with rate a bride, where they would judge the wedding announcements in the paper.  Damn I'm old

Don't forget lesbian dial-a-date

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On what planet?  Trey is a horrible interviewer.  He doesn't listen to what the other guy says.  He asks a question, let's them talk for a bit, and then abruptly breaks into the next question, which has nothing to do with the previous talking points.  There is no flow.  There is no conversation.  He's clearly reading off a notecard and couldn't give a shit what the answers are.
That's fair. He's over eager probably. But it seems like he lines them up and books them and does some prep work. To me it's pretty good for a 2 hour mid day show that probably has no money. To me that show is like they gave two hours to two interns and they did a great job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoyed Trey and BK as a team but when one was out, the other didn’t carry it so well unless they had Barbers as the guest host. Which one of them are from Chicago? I forgot even though he reminds us every damn show, lulz(I’m from there too).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2020 at 11:18 AM, hayden_horn said:

huh. 

i liked their show. thought it was one of the better produced show on the station. wonder why they got yanked. they did some really interesting things and were great at getting good guests.

Agree.  Their guests, especially, were above and beyond anyone else that others were generating.  And not even close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Stunns38 said:

I enjoyed Trey and BK as a team but when one was out, the other didn’t carry it so well unless they had Barbers as the guest host. Which one of them are from Chicago? I forgot even though he reminds us every damn show, lulz(I’m from there too).

Trey lived there for awhile.

I mean, I did too, and his incessant Chicago hype even bothered me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trey sucks at pretty much everything. Point of view, voice, interview skills.

Dunn seems like his mentor which would make sense. He’s fucking awful and arrogant about it. Herman of the Horn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Post Oak said:

"Talent the caliber of Jeff Howe"

 

tenor.gif?itemid=4558036

 

I was thinking the same thing as I read that quote. I don't listen to Austin sports radio outside the few Texas sports podcasts.  What's next the 'Talented Mike Roach"?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good news everyone, with C. Way back in a slot we should be getting much more of the insightful  6-man football analysis that we all have been missing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2020 at 11:42 AM, Revolution512 said:

Dunn seems like his mentor which would make sense. He’s fucking awful and arrogant about it. 

Kevin Dunn seems to grow more immature with every passing year.  He's Benjamin Button but only in terms of his emotional age.

(Hi KD.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any update on Jeff Ward? His FB fan page says he is returning in March, but not clear where/when exactly.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If that's the end of March, then it sounds like a 180-day noncompete clause might be expiring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...