Awful horrible bad shit is happening in the USA right now, if you are afraid of your fucking feelings getting hurt this isn't the website for you. ×
DocZaius

Whatcha reading?

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, The University said:

just finished this

51FDX5fKj-L.jpg

overall, it was a nice trip back in time when dial-up bulletin boards were the shit. always enjoyed many of the cDc members for their sense of humor. the title is a bit sensationalist, but i suppose that mirrors some of the member's egos. 

Interesting. I remember using their trojan horses to basically explore the entire hard drives of unsuspecting people we knew in high school. Nowadays we'd probably go to prison for that. Also supposedly a guy in my neighborhood was one of the OG cDc guys. Don't know if that's true or not but I do know he got arrested for hacking into our local PD back when you never heard about hackers getting arrested for anything. 

Edited by NorthLoop

12 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Interesting. I remember using their trojan horses to basically explore the entire hard drives of unsuspecting people we knew in high school. Nowadays we'd probably go to prison for that. Also supposedly a guy in my neighborhood was one of the OG cDc guys. Don't know if that's true or not but I do know he got arrested for hacking into our local PD back when you never heard about hackers getting arrested for anything. 

hah! probably back orifice and/or bo2k. the funny thing about that tool is that the early release version actually installed the trojan on your system when you used the front-end to exploit other systems. supposedly that was a "mistake".

Over the past few months I've been catching up on novels I've missed over the years via the Libby app and Audible. I've largely subbed out all the podcasts I listened to and am instead blowing through books at a pretty fast rate. I've tried to stay in the fantasy/sci fi genre, or just any Neal Stephenson. Books I've read lately: 

The Library of the Unwritten - A.J. Hackwith

Oryx and Crate - Atwood

Witcher Series 

Expanse Series

Song of Fire and Ice Series

2 books into the Mistborn series - Brandon Sanderson 

Readme, Fall: Dodge in Hell, Cryptonomicon - Neal Stephenson 

What other fantasy/sci fi series should I jump into immediately? Other than LotR. 

On 4/8/2020 at 1:14 PM, boknowstecmo said:

Over the past few months I've been catching up on novels I've missed over the years via the Libby app and Audible. I've largely subbed out all the podcasts I listened to and am instead blowing through books at a pretty fast rate. I've tried to stay in the fantasy/sci fi genre, or just any Neal Stephenson. Books I've read lately: 

The Library of the Unwritten - A.J. Hackwith

Oryx and Crate - Atwood

Witcher Series 

Expanse Series

Song of Fire and Ice Series

2 books into the Mistborn series - Brandon Sanderson 

Readme, Fall: Dodge in Hell, Cryptonomicon - Neal Stephenson 

What other fantasy/sci fi series should I jump into immediately? Other than LotR. 

I enjoyed the bobiverse series, John scalzi has some pretty good ones and I have been listening to the Red Rising series as well. 

On 1/25/2020 at 2:57 PM, futureman said:

SIAP but just got into this and felt compelled to share. 

21bookkeefe1-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75

if you’re at all interested in the troubles I encourage you to give it a shot, this will hook you big time.  I can’t put it down.  

a review: https://amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/582811/

and some propaganda of the time that inspired the name of the book:

poster61r.jpg

great book 

cms-rr-BK-RS-TPA.jpg

I love to travel and Rick Steve's helped create that with his great travel series on PBS. Really enjoyed this. 

Rick Steves is the best

I'm reading 

220px-DWCity.jpg

I'm about halfway through and I don't see what all the fuss is about.  This is my 3rd Larson book and it's my least favorite (so far)

8 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Rick Steves is the best

I'm reading 

220px-DWCity.jpg

I'm about halfway through and I don't see what all the fuss is about.  This is my 3rd Larson book and it's my least favorite (so far)

This is actually the next book on my list. Got it from my son who lives in Chicago. Hope I like it better than you. 

26 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

This is actually the next book on my list. Got it from my son who lives in Chicago. Hope I like it better than you. 

I'm sure it will get better. I'm just disappointed so far.

I'm sure it will get better. I'm just disappointed so far.

Liked it a lot more than dead wake which I liked more than garden of beasts and lost interest in isaacs storm halfway through.

23 hours ago, bluto said:

Liked it a lot more than dead wake which I liked more than garden of beasts and lost interest in isaacs storm halfway through.

So far I liked Isaacs Storm the best then dead wake.  I'm sure this will get better and I'll like it.  I'm interested to read his Churchill book