2020 NFL DRAFT

Napoleon

3 hours ago, markstanco said:

So if I counted correctly, and I hope I did, 3 kids drafted and only 1 udfa so far? Boy that is really developing your kids there Mensa. That will be super easy for every team in the country to recruit against. Arkansas had 3-5 UDFAs.

That is absolutely pathetic development of players.

i thought herman would do a better job of getting the top end hs talent. the lack of talent at ut v top schools is just ridiculous. hopefully the next coach can turn that around 

5 hours ago, markstanco said:

So if I counted correctly, and I hope I did, 3 kids drafted and only 1 udfa so far? Boy that is really developing your kids there Mensa. That will be super easy for every team in the country to recruit against. Arkansas had 3-5 UDFAs.

That is absolutely pathetic development of players.

You don’t count correctly, and You should really stop talking about things you know nothing about.  Our lack of draftees is much more on Strong than Herman. 

The two draft eligible classes were the 2016 class that was torn apart by attrition before Herman could even develop most of them and his transition class, which will have at least 2-3 drafters. Combine that with his 2018 class and we could easily have 7+ guys drafted next year in Herman’s first eligible class. 

• Like 1

i thought herman would do a better job of getting the top end hs talent. the lack of talent at ut v top schools is just ridiculous. hopefully the next coach can turn that around 

Too early for Herman but now I wonder if the SEC draft results will make it EVEN harder for us and OU to get the top 4/5-star talent consistently. Counterpoint...If I were aggy, I’d feel like shit since the SEC ain’t done shit to help draw top talent there.

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

14 players from one school... absolutely disgusting.

The SEC does a great job of marketing it's players and conference. ESPN and the conference spend 80% of their time talking up the players and the other 20% is talking down about other conferences. Hell, Kirby Smart just played the victim card because he's putting so many kids into the NFL and it's not fair that other schools use the "SEC's toughness against them". Yeah...he complained about it. 

That type of success often flows into recruiting pitches, showing prospects the proof of development and achieving the dream of making it to the NFL. That, however, also is being used against teams in the conference, according to Georgia Bulldogs coach Kirby Smart.

Edited by texaslong

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Yeah, hard to get top end talent when your head coach is a moron, fires almost his entire coaching staff 3 years in that he hand selected, doesn’t develop players, and puts a mediocre product on the field.  All the while our neighbors in LSU and ou are competing for championships.  The top end talent in Texas doesn’t choose Texas.  We get 1-2 here and there of the elite guys but we are so far away from being in the same tier as LSU, Clemson, Bama, UGA, and tOSU.  Those schools cherry pick the elites in the country year after year.  Their rosters are loaded.  Meanwhile we can’t find 2 guys to play linebacker....

• Like 3

On 4/25/2020 at 2:36 PM, LTtxfan said:

Siap...

Conspiracy Theory:  Did Bills just draft Jake Fromm to keep him away from Patriots 😁

So anyone know which QB the Patriots wanted to draft that was taken by another NFL team??

Belichick: Patriots not drafting QB 'wasn't by design'

Jeremy Bergman   Around The NFL Writer

Thirteen quarterbacks were chosen in this weekend's 2020 NFL Draft. None were selected by the New England Patriots.  

Repeating: The team that lost six-time Super Bowl champion Tom Brady to Tampa Bay this offseason and has no obvious recourse at the position elected not to select his successor in the draft.

Patriots coach Bill Belichick told reporters following the conclusion of Saturday's rounds that passing on a QB wasn't necessarily the plan.  "If we feel like we find the right situation, we'll certainly draft them. We've drafted them in multiple years, multiple points in the draft," he said, per a team transcript. "Didn't work out the last three days. That wasn't by design. We just tried to do the best we could with what we had this weekend."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001111722/article/belichick-patriots-not-drafting-qb-wasnt-by-design

Edited by LTtxfan

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

So anyone know which QB the Patriots wanted to draft that was taken by another NFL team??

Belichick: Patriots not drafting QB 'wasn't by design'

Jeremy Bergman   Around The NFL Writer

Thirteen quarterbacks were chosen in this weekend's 2020 NFL Draft. None were selected by the New England Patriots.  

Repeating: The team that lost six-time Super Bowl champion Tom Brady to Tampa Bay this offseason and has no obvious recourse at the position elected not to select his successor in the draft.

Patriots coach Bill Belichick told reporters following the conclusion of Saturday's rounds that passing on a QB wasn't necessarily the plan.  "If we feel like we find the right situation, we'll certainly draft them. We've drafted them in multiple years, multiple points in the draft," he said, per a team transcript. "Didn't work out the last three days. That wasn't by design. We just tried to do the best we could with what we had this weekend."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001111722/article/belichick-patriots-not-drafting-qb-wasnt-by-design

I’m guessing if Tua or Herbert had fallen much more, he might have considered the rare trade up. If Love had fallen (maybe even to round 3) he might have taken him for talent potential. Same for Eason as a 6th or 7th. The guys didn’t fall below Bill’s perception of their value. I don’t know who else it could have been because so few were drafted and he originally had plenty of 6th and 7th round picks. 

Edited by Murfdogg21

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

The other end of the spectrum...

Screen-Shot-2020-04-27-at-2-34-06-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2020-04-27-at-2-34-24-PM.png

Ranked 1,558 in the nation and goes in the first round.

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah, approximately half of all 5 stars don’t get drafted. The article was an interesting look at the guys who didn’t make it this year. 

5 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

The other end of the spectrum...

Screen-Shot-2020-04-27-at-2-34-06-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2020-04-27-at-2-34-24-PM.png

Ranked 1,558 in the nation and goes in the first round.

Patterson’s been an absolute wizard at developing defensive players ranked outside the top 1,000 for years now. I don’t think anyone comes close to his developmental abilities in the last twenty years.

2 hours ago, texaslong said:

Any updates from Billy on why aggy's draft class numbers couldn't beat out some crappy Big 12 schools like Baylor, OU, TCU, and Texas?

I'm sure there won't be any shortage of excuses on his podcast. I'm not wasting a second of my time listening to it, but I'm sure someone will give us a recap on the aggy thread at some point. The aggy have used the draft in recent years to fuel their propaganda machine on why they're the superior program to Texas, this year they'll have to rely on the their SEC SEC SEC mantra because they can't rely on the draft. I'm curious to see if the SEC's "Best" QB even ends up drafted after next season.

You don’t count correctly, and You should really stop talking about things you know nothing about.  Our lack of draftees is much more on Strong than Herman. 
The two draft eligible classes were the 2016 class that was torn apart by attrition before Herman could even develop most of them and his transition class, which will have at least 2-3 drafters. Combine that with his 2018 class and we could easily have 7+ guys drafted next year in Herman’s first eligible class. 

How many Herman recruits have used up their eligibility at Texas???
How many herman recruits from Houston got drafted?

How many Herman recruits have used up their eligibility at Texas???

I stand corrected. He is a great coach. His shortcoming is a coach from 3 years ago. Not last year but 3 years ago. Same thing happened with urban at Ohio state when he took over. Shitty for 3+ years because of the previous coaches players.

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

53 minutes ago, markstanco said:

I stand corrected. He is a great coach. His shortcoming is a coach from 3 years ago. Not last year but 3 years ago. Same thing happened with urban at Ohio state when he took over. Shitty for 3+ years because of the previous coaches players.

Now you’ve done it. You’ve gone full stanco. 

giphy.gif

Charlie Strong’s problem was never recruiting though. That’s why I don’t understand that take. I get that Herman technically doesn’t have the guys he wants yet, but he still has a lot more to work with than Patterson, Rhule, etc. Seems like we should have developed more draftable players by this time in Herman’s tenure.

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Charlie Strong’s problem was never recruiting though. That’s why I don’t understand that take. I get that Herman technically doesn’t have the guys he wants yet, but he still has a lot more to work with than Patterson, Rhule, etc. Seems like we should have developed more draftable players by this time in Herman’s tenure.

This isn’t really correct, though. Strong was good at face to face recruiting, but he was horribly unorganized and took a lot of questionable takes late because he had nothing at certain positions. if you look at our 2015  and 2016 classes, we had a ton of attrition before the first fall semester, so those classes were extremely overrated in the NSD rankings. we signed 29 guys in 2016 and 17 of those guys were either attrition or total busts that I wouldn’t blame on Herman for not developing, so he had less than 30 guys total to work with from the 2 draft eligible classes this year (2016 and 2017). 

On top of that, Charlie only had 6 commits in the 2017 class when he was fired, one of which was a non-qualifier so he left Herman in a really bad spot for 2017. 

Herman could certainly do better in developing talent and I think the new coaches will do a lot to help that, but I wouldn’t say that Herman has way more to work with in terms of guys who were draft eligible for this draft. Not to mention that a guy like Cosmi would’ve gone 1st or 2nd round if he decided to declare this year. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

44 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

His rankings ended up looking really good, but of the 81 players that Charlie Strong signed, approximately only 50 stuck around until they graduated or declared for the draft (just did a quick count, so may not be exact.)  So although he had no problem recruiting, a good chunk of his players did not stick around to get coached by Herman. 

Of those 50 that stayed, 10 got drafted (D. Foreman (never played for Herman); Malik; K Boyd; Deshon; C Williams; Omenihu; Dickson; Duvernay; B Jones; Collin Johnson) + 12 more UDFA that signed with teams (Poona; Andrew Beck; Chris Nelson; Jason Hall?; H Hill; CW3; D. Davis; PJ Locke; Hager; LJH; Roach; Shack); so 22/50

Strong's 3 classes: 50 players including 2 5stars (both drafted), 22 4 stars (4 drafted, 4 UDFA), and 27 3stars or below (4 drafted, 8 UDFA)

Herman's 1st 3 classes include (players still around): 3 5-stars, 33 4 stars (1 UDFA Gary Johnson), 24 3 stars or below (graduate transfers weren't counted in this as they did not show up on 247).

Although Strong's classes had good individual talent, by the time they were draft eligible, there wasn't a high number of them left.  Now that Herman has more players with a higher talent baseline and more players that fit his physical and mental eval, I think more of them will develop into draftable players. Just in Herman's first two classes, I think 18-20/38 have decent chances of being drafted or signed as UDFA.  I think, if Herman makes it for another 2 years, it would be fair to judge his ability to develop players from start to finish based on how many of those 18-20 actually get drafted (and get drafted high) rather than having to sign as UDFA.

On 4/25/2020 at 6:46 PM, cam4mav said:

I'm not gonna lie I am VERY intrigued by this selection (SEA fan). Giving up a 6th next year to grab him and not risk UDFA is a very strong signal that PCJS believe in him.

More often than not, the guys they trade up to go get end up hitting. This will be a cool story to follow. Appreciate the insight.

S2 slept under an underpass when he was 10, worked his ass off, kept his head straight...and eventually got this phone call.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

If every junior on our team decided to enter the draft next year, we could be in the neighborhood of 8-11 kids drafted. Your take on this is borderline retarded.

Alabama had 9 picks in the draft this year and 10 last year yet you are hanging your hat on 8-11. 

Lets go in to more detail about retarded takes because 8-11 takes the cake. 

Who gives a shit?
Bro, I am talking about trends of a coach. If a 4 or 5 star sees that a particular coach puts 3 or 4 in the league per year vs another coach who wants him that puts 8 to 10, where do you think that kid will go? See Landon Jackson currently. His dad is an aggy and herman is in texarkana all the time seeing him. If coach O has been here I have missed it. Maybe somebody can confirm but I don't think he has and he committed to them.

Did every junior on their team leave? Michigan had 10 players drafted. So kick rocks fuckboy
Your quote: " If every junior on our team decided to enter the draft next year"

Then they would be seniors. Of course they will claim eligibility for the draft dipshit. That's how it works.

9 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Your quote: " If every junior on our team decided to enter the draft next year"

Then they would be seniors. Of course they will claim eligibility for the draft dipshit. That's how it works.

So you really think I’m referring to 2019 juniors huh? Wow

Edited by A’Dam Psycho

John Burt 
Jeffrey Mcculloch
Kirk Johnson
Parker Braun
Jamari Chisholm 
Gerald Wilbon 
Possibly UDFA. Missing anyone?

To be fair, what team would take a chance on a kid (KJ) who may have had a total of 10 snaps over a 5 year career, and didnt even touch the ball for half of those? I think Parker Braun, McCulloch and Chisolm desrve a shot to make a roster somewhere though..

10 hours ago, markstanco said:

Alabama had 9 picks in the draft this year and 10 last year yet you are hanging your hat on 8-11. 

Lets go in to more detail about retarded takes because 8-11 takes the cake. 

No shit, Bama has had a machine rolling for 10 years. 

You wanna know how many Bama players got drafted in Saban's first 3 drafts? 0 in 2008, 4 in 2009, and 7 in 2010 (after winning a national championship.  Included 2 juniors from his 12th ranked transition class and one community college transfer that he recruited)

Nick Saban first 3 drafts: 11 players, 8 that he did not recruit

Tom Herman first 3 drafts: 9 players (plus guys like Poona and Holton Hill who should've been drafted). All 9 guys were not recruited by Herman.

Yes, Herman has to recruit better to improve our talent baseline, which should improve the number of players drafted.  One of the things that he has to fight against is Saban putting 10 guys in the league.  But let's not act like Saban came into Bama and immediately starting sending 10 guys to the draft. He needed his guys to win a national championship and then he got his machine rolling. I'm on the "Let's See What Herman Can Do With His Recruits" (and hopefully better position coaches) train right now. 

Edited by TheBryMan81
  • Like 2

Texas Players eligible for 2021 draft

RS Sophomores: Josh Moore, Willie Tyler

Junior: Jalen Green, Anthony Cook, D'Shawn Jamison, Juwan Mitchell, Caden Sterns, The Punter's Cousin, Brennan Eagles, Dicker the Kicker, BJ Foster, Keaontay Ingram, Demarvion Overshown,  Reese Leitao, Kobe Boyce, Montrell Estell, Sam Cosmi

RS Junior: Josh Thompson

SR: Sam Ehlinger, Chris Brown, Daniel Young, Jacoby Jones, Marques Bimage, TQ Graham, Tope Imade, Derek Kerstetter, Denzel Okafor, Cade Brewer.

I got this from the 2020 roster on Texas Sports, but there's some obvious mistakes regarding classification.  I don't know them off of the top of my head, so I just left it as is.  Point still stands, these are the guys that would be eligible to declare for 2021 draft

https://texassports.com/sports/football/roster/2020?&sort=class

None of those seniors looks like more than a late round flyer right now. What's the thinking on Sam? Pretty good numbers, good size, can move a little bit. NFL teams aren't going to see him as starter material, so what's his ceiling? 4th? Maybe 3rd with a great year?

List of juniors looks a lot better talent-wise, but lots of those guys will still need to have breakout years to make the jump and not have it be a dumb decision.

3 minutes ago, tokamak said:

None of those seniors looks like more than a late round flyer right now. What's the thinking on Sam? Pretty good numbers, good size, can move a little bit. NFL teams aren't going to see him as starter material, so what's his ceiling? 4th? Maybe 3rd with a great year?

List of juniors looks a lot better talent-wise, but lots of those guys will still need to have breakout years to make the jump and not have it be a dumb decision.

Ehlinger will get drafted but not high. Brown and Kerstetter have solid shots at getting drafted with good years. If either Bimage or Graham have big years, they have a chance.

most of the talent is Cosmi plus the 2018 recruiting class. Cosmi has a great shot at being a first rounder. So does Ossai if he performs how we think he will as a full time edge. Sterns will be a top 3 round pick with a good year. We could easily have 7+ guys drafted next year if we can put our players in coherent systems. 

• Like 1

Ehlinger will get drafted but not high. Brown and Kerstetter have solid shots at getting drafted with good years. If either Bimage or Graham have big years, they have a chance.
most of the talent is Cosmi plus the 2018 recruiting class. Cosmi has a great shot at being a first rounder. So does Ossai if he performs how we think he will as a full time edge. Sterns will be a top 3 round pick with a good year. We could easily have 7+ guys drafted next year if we can put our players in coherent systems. 

Agree with pretty much all of this. Kerstetter will have to step it up for sure. I think Bimage is in on day 3 and can only get better. Sterns is in. Sam is an awesome college qb but may not translate to nfl but somebody will pick him up for SURE in the draft. Hard runner and tough as fuck. Ironically he can thank taysom for that. A guy who can pass and run that isn't a bad qb like Florida boy.

14 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Taysom ran a 4.4 40yd dash and jumped a 38" vert. Sam is obviously a baller and a beast of a ball player, but his game does translate much closer to Tebow than to Taysom as far as NFL projection goes. I think Sam could be drafted but I would be surprised if it was before 5th, but who knows. 

17 minutes ago, cam4mav said:

Taysom ran a 4.4 40yd dash and jumped a 38" vert. Sam is obviously a baller and a beast of a ball player, but his game does translate much closer to Tebow than to Taysom as far as NFL projection goes. I think Sam could be drafted but I would be surprised if it was before 5th, but who knows. 

I don't see Sam blocking punts in the NFL or playing TE/H back let's just say that lol. Also who would have put money on Hill's knees lasting this long?