Goo Punch

Luka Doncic

My main argument here is simply that Luka is a transcendent talent at 20 years old. Dirk did *transcendent things* (a European player who redefined a position, won an MVP, won a Finals MVP, is one of the best shooters ever, with a signature fade-away jumper on par with Michael Jordan), and Luka has a very long way to go to match him both as a player and for his career. 

However, Luka is, in my opinion, a *transcendent talent*. At 20 years old he's already more advanced than Dirk was at many facets of the game, and if he stays healthy and improves at even a typical rate, then Luka projects to be on another level from Dirk, based on his skill set/production at 20 years old. Sure, he could be Derrick Rose or Grant Hill, but barring a rash of injuries I think that Luka is going to go down as a Magic/Bird hybrid, the likes of which we've never seen before. Maybe he'll never be Bird from deep, but his ability to score from all over like Bird and run the point like Magic is just amazing. 

Edited by Goo Punch

For the record, I hope Luka is a blend of MJ, LeBron, Magic and Bird. Until further notice, I probably prefer Dirk to the Mavs' laundry, but they're still the only team I regularly watch.

His production as a 20-yr old is undeniably special. To say otherwise is to deny reality. My only hesitation is that I think that basically the only realm for improvement is to become a knockdown shooter. I also take solace in the fact that if he never progresses as  a shooter he's still ~30/10/10 on 50/30/80 despite having a roster surrounding him that is closer to good than great.

And I will continue to deny that he is superior to Dirk in *all* facets of basketball

The thing about the cross court that makes it so special is the combo of seeing it, getting it there on time, AND putting it right at shooting position. Hardaway(?) takes a small shuffle left and the ball is right at his chest for the catch and shoot before the defense can recover. 

On 1/14/2020 at 1:51 PM, gsoda3 said:

i see.  you probably don't remember because it didn't happen.  not like what's going on with luka anyway.  dirk for years was labelled "soft" but that was because he didn't play like a 7 footer was expected to play.  he didn't take the ball inside much.  didn't even post up as much as people (me included) wanted him to.  certainly didn't dive to the hole the way luka does.  

he DID start getting fouled more in 05, 06 when they figured you could take away his lower half of the body.  but it wasn't a physicality intended to intimidate him as much as it was taking him away from his favorite spots on the floor or allowing him to make his first dribble move.  

you have to also factor in dirk was always a very good FT shooter so any fouls committed were a losing proposition.

Actually it happened quite frequently.   You don’t remember Lebron and DWade plunking Dirk and making fun of him for being sick during the Finals in ‘11?  Only to watch Dirk overcome and hoist the trophy? 

12 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

It's funny that they seem to actually like each other pretty well, while the fan bases for these teams hate each other, and the other teams player, all the time on social media.

Not in general they don't.  But what you have is over the top Mavs/Luka fans that like to still rib the ATL fans about passing up someone who looks like he'll be an all time great early in his career.

And you'll have ATL fans who think not only is Trae Young just as good as Luka, but that he's BETTER, I mean just look at his PPG and APG, that's obviously proof that Trae is better.

1 hour ago, Drew said:

Not in general they don't.  But what you have is over the top Mavs/Luka fans that like to still rib the ATL fans about passing up someone who looks like he'll be an all time great early in his career.

And you'll have ATL fans who think not only is Trae Young just as good as Luka, but that he's BETTER, I mean just look at his PPG and APG, that's obviously proof that Trae is better.

Do ATL fans really think that? Yikes.

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

Do ATL fans really think that? Yikes.

I'm sure it's a small, but very vocal minority of people on social media.  But basically you can't say anything about Luka online without at least 1 or 2 trae stans trashing him or saying Trae is better.

Same happens for Trae Young with some Mavs fans.

On 2/15/2020 at 8:50 AM, Trey3216 said:

Actually it happened quite frequently.   You don’t remember Lebron and DWade plunking Dirk and making fun of him for being sick during the Finals in ‘11?  Only to watch Dirk overcome and hoist the trophy? 

that's not what the original post was talking about.