Goo Punch

Luka Doncic

My main argument here is simply that Luka is a transcendent talent at 20 years old. Dirk did *transcendent things* (a European player who redefined a position, won an MVP, won a Finals MVP, is one of the best shooters ever, with a signature fade-away jumper on par with Michael Jordan), and Luka has a very long way to go to match him both as a player and for his career. 

However, Luka is, in my opinion, a *transcendent talent*. At 20 years old he's already more advanced than Dirk was at many facets of the game, and if he stays healthy and improves at even a typical rate, then Luka projects to be on another level from Dirk, based on his skill set/production at 20 years old. Sure, he could be Derrick Rose or Grant Hill, but barring a rash of injuries I think that Luka is going to go down as a Magic/Bird hybrid, the likes of which we've never seen before. Maybe he'll never be Bird from deep, but his ability to score from all over like Bird and run the point like Magic is just amazing. 

Edited by Goo Punch

For the record, I hope Luka is a blend of MJ, LeBron, Magic and Bird. Until further notice, I probably prefer Dirk to the Mavs' laundry, but they're still the only team I regularly watch.

His production as a 20-yr old is undeniably special. To say otherwise is to deny reality. My only hesitation is that I think that basically the only realm for improvement is to become a knockdown shooter. I also take solace in the fact that if he never progresses as  a shooter he's still ~30/10/10 on 50/30/80 despite having a roster surrounding him that is closer to good than great.

And I will continue to deny that he is superior to Dirk in *all* facets of basketball

The thing about the cross court that makes it so special is the combo of seeing it, getting it there on time, AND putting it right at shooting position. Hardaway(?) takes a small shuffle left and the ball is right at his chest for the catch and shoot before the defense can recover.