Big Green Egg & Other Ceramic Grills All Encompassing Thread

Mac8111

4 hours ago, Gale Snoats said:

Any thoughts on best place in Austin to get lump? Best brands? Best to order online?

I like Kamado Joe Big Block - much less dust and small pieces.  I usually pick up a couple bags when Costco has the Kamado Joe Road Show.   

Any thoughts on best place in Austin to get lump? Best brands? Best to order online?

I’m loving Fogo. Not cheap but it’s really good.

I’ve decided I need more cooking space. Have the Large. Looking at Eggspander options. Thoughts, recommendations?

Well I didn’t take pics but the ribs came out fine on the new extender grates.

Split the racks so they would fit on the smaller upper grate.

It’s nice having a way to get under the plate setter quickly. With the new kick ash basket the charcoal seems to burn faster. Ran out of fuel mid cook.

Watch Franklin's video on beef ribs. I think you'll need to go a little longer and/or a little higher temp on that cook.

I use those tumbleweed starters and they work great. Biggest tip I can give you is don't rush the fire. For a low and slow cook. I plan for an hour to get my fire set. If you rush, the fire will get too big/hot and it's nearly impossible to bring the fire back down.

So, I’m new to the Primo....and yep, I learned this lesson last week. Let the fire get WAY too hot (got stuck on a call for work), and never got it back down the right way, AND I burned through a lot of my fuel early. Definitely going to bring it up SLOOOOOWWWW next time.
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

So, I’m new to the Primo....and yep, I learned this lesson last week. Let the fire get WAY too hot (got stuck on a call for work), and never got it back down the right way, AND I burned through a lot of my fuel early. Definitely going to bring it up SLOOOOOWWWW next time.

Yep.  I typically put food on 35-50 degrees pre-target and let it come up as well as use a water pan (can also use sand) as a thermal "sink".  I also found my Kamodo cooks hot.  It just refuses to stay low @ 225, so like Franklin, I cook around 275-290 and it holds it well.  No noticeable difference in the end product.  Smoked a chuck roast this weekend and it ran hot.  Still came out to be outstanding diced and served as sliders on Hawaiian rolls with pickles and onions and it shortened the cook time considerably.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2020 at 8:24 PM, Jerry Callo said:

I use those tumbleweed starters and they work great.

In a pinch (or instead), 4 cotton balls and rubbing alcohol is light it and walk away with no mess, no anything imparted.  I somehow only heard about this a week or so ago and am amazed it doesn't seem to get more press on as many bbq boards as I've read.  Cheap and easy.

In a pinch (or instead), 4 cotton balls and rubbing alcohol is light it and walk away with no mess, no anything imparted.  I somehow only heard about this a week or so ago and am amazed it doesn't seem to get more press on as many bbq boards as I've read.  Cheap and easy.

Not even in a pinch. It’s my only method now. Clean, simple, cheap. Perfect
  • Like 1