henrygandorf

david simon's "the plot against america" on hbo

created by david simon (the wire, the deuce, homicide, treme) and based on novel by phillip roth (portnoy's complaint, american pastoral, the human stain) about an alt-history where charles lindbergh defeats fdr in the 1940 presidential election.

limited series starts march 16th on home box office.

Interdasting.  I saw a preview and heard Simon interviewed on NPR the other day.  Didn't manage to connect.

I'm in for anything David Simon does. Very interested since this will be based on real characters but not set in our historical reality. 

I’m in though it’s tough to watch 

Really enjoyed the first episode. The casting all seems really good. I was sure the nephew was going to die on their outing. 

I read this book about 10 years ago after I heard an interview with Roth on NPR. Always thought it would be a great story for movie or series. Was psyched to see Simon was doing it, but in light of current events I just can’t bring myself to watch this yet. It’s sitting in my Directv queue and probably will for at least another week.

Enjoyed the episode, and although it was a little slow, thought Simon did a great job setting the stage.

The theater manager, Michael Kostroff, was Maurice Levy in The Wire. Great character who stole a lot of scenes imo, so looking forward to seeing his role expanded in this.

The book has been on my reading list for awhile. Watch this, or wait to read the book first?

Always read the book first.

I’m thinking I may read it again before I dive in.

It’s pretty short.