Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

6 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

The source is “a relatively high level sports executive”. The money quote the entire article is based around is this guy pulling an arbitrary month shutdown completely out of his ass based on...nothing. His opinion I guess?

That's Mr. Miles Taylor to you, young man.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tjhooker said:

I blame everything in the band nerds. Oh and fuck face Herman. 

Antifa and BLM basically is comprised of adult band nerds. Having sex with a hot chick can mitigate a lot of "social justice" butthurt.

Edited by Kyle
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I’m not upset people like you are why racism is here to stay. I’m used to it. hopefully nothing in the karma scale happens to you for you views ;)

Yea if it wasn't around, he wouldn't have his bit anymore.  Takes 3 seconds of thinking to come up with his conclusions.

14 hours ago, Kyle said:

BLM basically is comprised of adult band nerds.

Then why are you and the little cadre of fragile Hank Hills in this thread so vocal about just how terrifying BLM is?

Being terrified of band nerds would make you a pussy and I can't imagine that you're a pussy. Kyle is a man's man name.

Edited by BradInATX

The University of Texas band will not perform during the Longhorns’ final two home games this season over an internal dispute about “The Eyes of Texas” school song.

The university had previously said the Longhorn band would not return until there was some final resolution. Enough band members objected to playing the song prior to the last home game against Baylor, so the band was essentially suspended.

A school spokesman said about 40% of band members have some kind of scholarship tied to being in the Longhorn band.

“There has been no change of status, and the university’s alma mater will continue to be played from loudspeakers at the game, not by the band,” Doug Dempster, dean of the College of Fine Arts, said in a statement provided to the American-Statesman. “In-person instruction concludes on Nov. 25, after which UT students are expected to be off campus.

“The band will also not perform at the final home football game the day after Thanksgiving on Nov. 27,” Dempster added.

UT President Jay Hartzell has already announced “The Eyes” will remain the school song. UT athletes asked school officials to do away with the song when its origins came to light this summer. “The Eyes” was first performed at minstrel shows in the early 1900s, and the music is set to “I’ve Been Working on the Railroad,” a historically Black work song.

Some UT athletes argued about standing on the field for the traditional post-game singing of “The Eyes.” The uproar that created drew national attention.

Over the last two weeks, UT athletes have stayed on the field of play and stood in unison while fans sing the song. Athletes are not required to sing the lyrics or even hold up the “Hook ’em” hand signal,” something UT athletes have done for decades.

Hartzell has is forming a committee to assemble a complete background on “The Eyes of Texas.” The group is expected to have its work done by early 2021.

https://www.hookem.com/texas-longhorns/20201105/still-upset-eyes-longhorn-band-will-not-perform-texas-final-home-games/

That 40% of LHB members having a scholarship tied to them being in LHB sounds like horseshit.
I recall 350+ members and under 10 were handed out to students (very small scholarships). The honorary fraternities had one each I think, LHAB had one and I think there was a President's one.

19 hours ago, vtaenz said:

That 40% of LHB members having a scholarship tied to them being in LHB sounds like horseshit.
I recall 350+ members and under 10 were handed out to students (very small scholarships). The honorary fraternities had one each I think, LHAB had one and I think there was a President's one.

Yeah, that 40% sounds steep.  Real steep.

22 hours ago, vtaenz said:

Most of the LHB scholarships come from donations that LHAB members have made over the years, going back to the 60s.  They literally "pass the hat" at reunions for donations.  I think it's the same hat from decades ago.  There are lots of little LHB/LHAB traditions and the alumni hat is one of them.

The scholarships are small although they are growing. I think most of them are 100's of dollars.  No one is doing it for the scholarship.  LHB is an awesome place to meet people from across the university, have fun and do something a little different if music is not your major.  I'm not that plugged in to alumni band, but I think LHAB is trying to give out small scholarships to many band members, so that eventually everyone gets a little bit.

Standing with your friends in the middle of the band after a win, having the football team come over while celebrating, and then playing the Eyes of Texas is an awesome experience.  I wish everyone could have it.

• Hook 'Em 6

Get rid of every band member. Reconstitute it with musicians that will play The EoT whether they be students or not. If that's not possible then I'm good with music piped in.
Or like just the ones that refused to play it. Give them an F for the class. They aren't invited back to tryout in the future.
Problem solved.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, maninblack said:

Get rid of every band member. Reconstitute it with musicians that will play The EoT whether they be students or not. If that's not possible then I'm good with music piped in.

3 hours ago, vtaenz said:

Or like just the ones that refused to play it. Give them an F for the class. They aren't invited back to tryout in the future.
Problem solved.

Get rid of them all, but tell them that individuals are welcome back if they are cool with The Eyes of Texas. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
Kind of them same thing, I know.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

50943a61d0e16ed0ed2ba4116d6532c9.jpg
For number 3:

Intro to “If You’re Gonna Play in Texas” - Alabama (Oops....too Southern)

Intro to “God Bless Texas” - Little Texas (Oops...too religious)

We’re fucked

Well there is the line "The Eyes of Texas... are smiling on me" by the Old 97s in their song "A State of Texas."  Surely that's okay?

Musicians in the University of Texas Longhorn Band refer to the group internally as LHB. Rather than a burnt orange brass army seen from the stands, to them, it's a beloved musical and social student group. So when the Black members formed a group text earlier this year, they named it LHBlacks.

A running joke in the conversation rested on the tiny number of Black players: only 10 in the nearly 400-person band. They've since added three more from the freshman class, still falling below the overall university makeup of 5.2% Black students. Upon joining, junior Imani Taylor remembers an older peer informing her she was the first Black color guard member in at least five years – a fact she now proudly displays on her Twitter bio.

"I couldn't believe I'm the only one who's Black in my section," says Taylor, who studies sociology. "I don't want to say I was intimidated, but it was something I had to get accustomed to. My high school was predominantly Black and Hispanic. I would have felt more comfortable if I knew the other [Black members] back then."

https://www.austinchronicle.com/music/2020-11-13/faster-than-sound-the-musicians-at-the-center-of-uts-eyes-of-texas-debacle

21 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Input?  The best day in the history of Texas sports that was punctuated with the singing of the school song.   It won't ever get any better.

Send it in... 😁 

https://utexas.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6tDhx0pWTG59uNn?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=UTAustinSocial

Share your experience with The Eyes of Texas

Any information submitted through this survey may be subject to public review under Texas’ open records rules.

As part of our efforts to examine the impact of UT’s school song across the university community and beyond, we would like to hear about your experience with The Eyes of Texas (include personal stories or experiences with the song, important or memorable times the song was sung, times you experienced it, or any other experiences you or other family members have had with it over the generations). Please share it below, via writing, photo, or video: 

**Please use the following format for your file name: first_last_submit date. Please keep file sizes below 500 MB.

**You will need to press the blue submit button below in order to upload your file. 

If you included a file, please give us your name so we can connect your story and/or affiliation with the file(s) you shared. 
Name  

Your affiliation with the university:
  • Student

• Faculty

• Staff

• Alumnus

• Other

Edited by LTtxfan

27 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Input?

The best day in the history of Texas sports that was punctuated with the singing of the school song. 

It won't ever get any better.

I must have been sitting very close to you.  Still gives me chills.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

I was probably 30-45 seats to the right from where that video was taken.

Then that put me about 8-10 rows below you. If you noticed a 40-something year old frat brother making continuous trips to the grill concessions throughout the entire 2nd half, I was just to his right. Too bad there was a game going on. That had to be a distraction, but the lines were probably short. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

Sark: "I know this much, The Eyes of Texas is our school song. We’re going to sing that song, we’re going to sing that proudly." Says that he knows there are tough discussions that need to happen. But, "That's our song and we're fired up to sing it."

By most accounts, 40% of the LHB refused to play The Eyes of Texas during the 2020 football season.   Now that Coach Steve Sarkisian says the players will sing the song, does this mean 40% of members will now quit the band?

• Hook 'Em 3