2020-21 Winter weather; bring it on

Parliament

Possible coldest weather of the season could drop down next Saturday.  More here if it happens.  Talkin' daytime highs maybe < freezing.

Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it, too.  But... models gonna model.

Edit:  Forecasts are split right now, many of them are going with highs in 60's next weekend, and these things are always a crapshoot until about 3 days out.  We'll see.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Possible coldest weather of the season could drop down next Saturday.  More here if it happens.  Talkin' daytime highs maybe < freezing.

Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it, too.  But... models gonna model.

Edit:  Forecasts are split right now, many of them are going with highs in 60's next weekend, and these things are always a crapshoot until about 3 days out.  We'll see.

Oh please oh please oh please

5 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Streets look fine, storms a nothing burger

The plows have been running since about 8 pm last night. They come through about every 15 minutes.  Last time (December), they did not do that.  They were not expecting the snow.  This time, with the expectation, they went gangbusters.  Also, helps that DeBlas basically put a stay at home order out for the duration of the storm.

26 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

It was sarcasm. Does all of that snow get dumped in the harbor or what?

It will melt.  Until then, it is piled up off sidewalks and roads and under/over cars on the sides of the streets.  It is really coming down, and has been since about 10 AM.  It has definitely accumulated a lot more.  Central Park is going to be awesome.  Also, right now, it is about 28 F.  I just came back inside from walking the dogs.  In 5 minutes, we were all covered in snow.

3 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

The plows have been running since about 8 pm last night. They come through about every 15 minutes.  Last time (December), they did not do that.  They were not expecting the snow.  This time, with the expectation, they went gangbusters.  Also, helps that DeBlas basically put a stay at home order out for the duration of the storm.

Doesn't hurt that there's been a de facto S-A-H order for about 10 months now.  

Vertical video looks fine on my phone.  Also, hard to get the buildings holding the phone horizontal.  It is now a balmy 34 degrees, but the snow is still falling like gangbusters.  The wind is also still going strong.  Snow is expected to continue until 9 to midnight tomorrow.  It is warming up a little, so we might get some rain/sleet with the snow, which will make this all a lot of fun.  

This week is going to be interesting.  Glad I work from home.

3 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Vertical video looks fine on my phone.  Also, hard to get the buildings holding the phone horizontal.  It is now a balmy 34 degrees, but the snow is still falling like gangbusters.  The wind is also still going strong.  Snow is expected to continue until 9 to midnight tomorrow.  It is warming up a little, so we might get some rain/sleet with the snow, which will make this all a lot of fun.  

This week is going to be interesting.  Glad I work from home.

NYC is a strange place when massive snow strikes. We were there for the Big East in ‘93 and had the big blizzard.  It was kind of fun because the only people out and about seemed to all be going to the tournament. 

On 2/2/2021 at 9:22 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Central Park was 17 or 18 inches I believe.

4b10ba8bb343def0be5e3afcb5927c42.jpg

Isn't 58th & 1st over a mile from Central Park?  Thanks a lot climate change! 

Most of the weather models are coming into agreement that it will get cold here next week.  The two major models are about 10 degrees apart, but some people I follow are talking possible once every 30 years level of cold as a possibility.

610temp.new.gif

This’ll be the coldest it’s been in 2 years for us. that cold stretch was fun. Our upstairs bathroom is located above our then unheated garage so the pipes froze. After “heating the garage” via opening the door to inside the house and some shit plug in heaters I had, the pipes thawed. That was stressful. Dropped 2 grand to install a garage heater that spring and it’s the greatest thing ever.

Also had the dryer vent freeze shut on us...so that was fun. Chili is on order for the weekend, probably not a lot of laundry

43 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

This’ll be the coldest it’s been in 2 years for us. that cold stretch was fun. Our upstairs bathroom is located above our then unheated garage so the pipes froze. After “heating the garage” via opening the door to inside the house and some shit plug in heaters I had, the pipes thawed. That was stressful. Dropped 2 grand to install a garage heater that spring and it’s the greatest thing ever.

Also had the dryer vent freeze shut on us...so that was fun. Chili is on order for the weekend, probably not a lot of laundry

Pretty much the same for us.  This isn't forecasted to be as bad as the vortex of '19, but we're looking at 7-8 days of single digit highs, and overnight lows below 0.  -15 on Saturday night looks to be the rock bottom.  That's miserable, but I'll take it over the -35 we had in '19.

• Like 1